First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Is rice truly the perfect side dish?
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 7/31/16 , edited 7/31/16
It's good with potato and bread.
38638 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / 11.8728° N, 122.8...
Offline
Posted 7/31/16
Rice is a main dish (coupled with a viand) here in the Philippines.
8034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / São Paulo, SP, Br...
Offline
Posted 7/31/16
Here in Brazil, (white) rice and (black or brown) beans is a staple diet. In Morocco, they use rice on salad (yes, with oil, vinegar and everything we consider part of a salad in the West). Rice is pretty common everywhere that is not too cold, since it is one of the oldest crops we domesticated.

I love rice with lentils and rice with cappelini/angel hair pasta (middle east style), and a lot of other ways to prepare rice. It is just plain, white rice that I find almost tasteless so bland it is. But that is actually why you can have rice with anything (non-carbo), even cheeseburger, as long as you forgo the buns.



4462 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Philippines
Offline
Posted 7/31/16
we eat everything with rice, so yes c':
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 7/31/16

couvier wrote:
we eat everything with rice:
But do you eat rice with rice?

38638 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / 11.8728° N, 122.8...
Offline
Posted 7/31/16

Freddy96NO wrote:


couvier wrote:
we eat everything with rice:
But do you eat rice with rice?



Yes, with an 'edible spoon' made of rice, millet, and wheat flours. You eat the spoon afterwards.

4462 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Philippines
Offline
Posted 7/31/16

Freddy96NO wrote:

But do you eat rice with rice?



yep tbh.
we sometimes put Arroz Caldo (it has rice as a main ingredient) over rice ;v
12712 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 7/31/16
It isn't perfect as rice is known to contain traces of arsenic and lead. It's okay to have in moderation but as with most foods you shouldn't overdo it.
4721 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/31/16
Not as a side dish. It's part of the main dish. Always.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 7/31/16

MidoriNoTora wrote:

It isn't perfect as rice is known to contain traces of arsenic and lead. It's okay to have in moderation but as with most foods you shouldn't overdo it.


Mate imported rice has arsenic and lead in it, the rice grown in North America is perfectly fine . Yeah sure foreign agricultural practices suck hind tit but stop fear mongering.

To answer the OP's question yes it is. There are few more versatile food crops and considering the nutritive value of brown rice it only earns higher points in my books.
Posted 7/31/16

Axerilis wrote:

Excuse me, side dish?


Same sentiment hahaha!
12712 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 7/31/16 , edited 7/31/16

Ranwolf wrote:


MidoriNoTora wrote:

It isn't perfect as rice is known to contain traces of arsenic and lead. It's okay to have in moderation but as with most foods you shouldn't overdo it.


Mate imported rice has arsenic and lead in it, the rice grown in North America is perfectly fine . Yeah sure foreign agricultural practices suck hind tit but stop fear mongering.

To answer the OP's question yes it is. There are few more versatile food crops and considering the nutritive value of brown rice it only earns higher points in my books.


Erm... I'm reporting a fact, not "fear mongering." If a news article on a scientific study is enough to cause you fear then you really need to take a chill pill.

The original question is whether rice is a perfect side dish. It isn't (unless your definition of perfect is that foods should contain a degree of contaminents). Is it good to have rice as part of a balanced diet? Definitely.

It's nice that the rice produced in North America is guaranteed contaminent free - I'm pleased for you. However this is an international forum and there are some of us who may not be in North America...
Posted 7/31/16
No.
I'm trying to give up rice, bread, and pasta. They make me fat.
7425 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 7/31/16 , edited 7/31/16
I'm gluten-free (not by choice really) and the main replacement is "rice this" and "rice that". The problem? I'm deathly allergic to rice (as are a few of my Celiac friends). So in answer...no rice is not the perfect side dish to me. I follow Jophar's choice . Baked, fried, julienned, sticks, skins, mashed, etc ... potatoes are diverse and fun to experiment with .
Sogno- 
45742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/31/16 , edited 7/31/16
yes

works great as a main dish too

rice is love rice is life
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.