First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply More 'Whitewashing' In Hollywood
qwueri 
16462 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 8/3/16 , edited 8/3/16
Unless the character was originally white, its not really white washing. Seems like large swathes of the cast are Chinese. Depending on the plot it may be a case of mighty whitey (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MightyWhitey) but not much of the plot is shown in the trailer.

The movie itself looks pretty forgetable.
25020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Northern Ireland
Offline
Posted 8/3/16

Southern55 wrote:For me it all depends on where the story came from. Was there a source material? What was the MC like there? Or is it a story written specifically to make this movie.

If it was written specifically for this movie then I don't care if the MC is black white Asian or martian. That's the director/writer's choice. Now if there was a book or something this is based off of, and they changed the character's background to fit the casting then I might have some issue with it.


As I posted above it is based on a novel by Frank Kafka and serves as an allegory to European isolationism and exclusion. Yes it is set in Northern Songs dynasty but that doesn't mean it isn't about Europeans. The same way Animal Farm being set on a farm doesn't make it any less about the Communist ruling elite in Russia which it served as an allegory to.
5974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Terra Australis (...
Offline
Posted 8/3/16

Hrafna wrote:


CreatorTheta wrote:


MacMeaties wrote:

Wait wait wait have I missed something? A movie about a soldier fighting monsters and the actor being white is what people find unrealistic just because of the geographical setting?


"Set in the Northern Song Dynasty, the story is about mysteries revolving around the Great Wall of China.

The movie is a loose adaptation of The Great Wall of China by Franz Kafka as an allegory to European isolationism and exclusion in spite of taking place in China during the Song Dynasty."

*rolls on the floor in agony at the SJW bitching*


I do too.

It's why I generally hate the forums. It's all SJW bitching.


Your batshit crazy rant against social injustice isn't social justice warriorism? Good to know it only goes one way.


Yes, it goes only one way because I don't believe in Cultural Marxism. Nor do I believe in silencing my opponents. Social Justice is commonly known to be associated with various movements that have Cultural Marxism as the core of it. Also, which rant to you speak of? This one I had here? Where basically all I did was get mad that again, people accuse a movie of "white-washing" because these people only wish to focus on arbitrary features, treating them as if they were apart of their very character.

If arguing back in opposition to these ideas is in your mind, Social Justice, then call me such, I don't care too much. Because you and I clearly have different definitions of the term.

I guess that makes many people as such then. I guess you want to broaden the term to such a vague level.
9516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 8/3/16 , edited 8/3/16

MacMeaties wrote:


Southern55 wrote:For me it all depends on where the story came from. Was there a source material? What was the MC like there? Or is it a story written specifically to make this movie.

If it was written specifically for this movie then I don't care if the MC is black white Asian or martian. That's the director/writer's choice. Now if there was a book or something this is based off of, and they changed the character's background to fit the casting then I might have some issue with it.


As I posted above it is based on a novel by Frank Kafka and serves as an allegory to European isolationism and exclusion. Yes it is set in Northern Songs dynasty but that doesn't mean it isn't about Europeans. The same way Animal Farm being set on a farm doesn't make it any less about the Communist ruling elite in Russia which it served as an allegory to.


It says loose as far I can tell. I'm wondering if the movie will even incorporate these allegorical messages at all. I'll check it out.


If this summary is correct, it appears to be very loose.

http://www.enotes.com/topics/great-wall-china


I think the more appropriate thing is, what was the Song dynasty like? How many white people were there?
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 8/3/16 , edited 8/3/16
by this trailer it seems like a boring action movie, that has a bit "out of place" MC.
How he did the throw of the sheild.. now I want Mortal Kombat new movie!!!!
https://youtu.be/EAwWPadFsOA

THE GREAT WALL TRAILER Matt Damon VS Monsters - Fantasy Action
https://youtu.be/4koBll__TcU
25020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Northern Ireland
Offline
Posted 8/3/16
It almost certainly didn't have monsters but the movie does... so yeah...arguments over ethnic authenticity of the actors are kinda mute when they are fighting mythical creatures that never existed in a world based on an allegory of European xenophobia towards foreigners.
9516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 8/3/16

MacMeaties wrote:

It almost certainly didn't have monsters but the movie does... so yeah...arguments over ethnic authenticity of the actors are kinda mute when they are fighting mythical creatures that never existed in a world based on an allegory of European xenophobia towards foreigners.


I will calmly disagree in certain circumstances. Mainly, suspension of disbelief allows you to believe in magic but conveniences like Aang, Katara, and Sokka being played by white kids just so they could played by white kids just a tired practice that needs to some serious redressing. Not saying this is the case here, but that I find fault with that argument.


It doesn't appear to really have a "coherent" conflict it seems like. More like the gentle political musing.
74 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 8/3/16
Looking for a fuck to give.

Guess I'm all out.
8780 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
AKR
Offline
Posted 8/3/16 , edited 8/3/16
The trailer was weird. Ancient asian wall, asian girl, western men? Wat? Why? How?
25020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Northern Ireland
Offline
Posted 8/3/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:I will calmly disagree in certain circumstances. Mainly, suspension of disbelief allows you to believe in magic but conveniences like Aang, Katara, and Sokka being played by white kids just so they could played by white kids just a tired practice that needs to some serious redressing. Not saying this is the case here, but that I find fault with that argument.


It doesn't appear to really have a "coherent" conflict it seems like. More like the gentle political musing.


I was referring to this movie in particular as I do find issue with ethnic alterations to characters in others, including getting slightly more tilted than I should when seeing Asian Shinobu cosplays and white just about anything else cosplays lol.

I think this movie suffers from little more than Hanlon's Razor. To quote the definition - Hanlon's razor is an aphorism expressed in various ways including "Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding," "Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice," and "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by carelessness."

Hollywood is a business and appealing to the largest audience possible and to generate the most revenue is their goal. By bringing on board a huge A lister they increase their odds of raking in big, fat wads of cash. This is almost certainly their sole motive behind the casting not some racist conspiracy.
They could have found a Chinese actor who would be ethnically more authentic to the geographical setting but then you'd probably not have heard about the movie at all to be discussing it right now. That's not Hollywood being racist, it's them being business savy. Hell look at Warcraft. Almost entirely white cast and it was one of the biggest selling movies ever in China despite being a bit of a flop in America.
5974 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Terra Australis (...
Offline
Posted 8/3/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Hrafna wrote:


CreatorTheta wrote:


MacMeaties wrote:

Wait wait wait have I missed something? A movie about a soldier fighting monsters and the actor being white is what people find unrealistic just because of the geographical setting?


"Set in the Northern Song Dynasty, the story is about mysteries revolving around the Great Wall of China.

The movie is a loose adaptation of The Great Wall of China by Franz Kafka as an allegory to European isolationism and exclusion in spite of taking place in China during the Song Dynasty."

*rolls on the floor in agony at the SJW bitching*


I do too.

It's why I generally hate the forums. It's all SJW bitching.


Your batshit crazy rant against social injustice isn't social justice warriorism? Good to know it only goes one way.


You're talking to someone who think calling someone an idiot violates the principle of freedom of speech and should be allowed. I remember my libertarian phase, a lot of times people who discover this tend to take it to extreme lengths because extreme is cool.



Hahahahaha. PV, given that you can't see this, I don't think it really matters if I reply, but, I actually complimented you a few moments ago. Though, given that you blocked me, removing my ability to address you directly

But, why don't you try to reword this sentence, because you missed a word in this first part.


"You're talking to someone who think calling someone an idiot DOESN'T violates the principle of freedom of speech and should be allowed. ."

Yeah, I do. You are emotionally fragile, and that isn't my problem. If you can't even handle a basic insult, then how do you even go through life? This is literally the weakest insult I can throw, and yet you have called people insults yourself on several occasions. And this, this is simply you being offended. And you Have every right to be offended, just as I do. But, to think that people should have the right to silence their opponents BECAUSE they are offended(This doesn't mean YOU can't block your own conversations to me, that simply a refusal to directly address me) And the reason why I believe that Offensive should not be a determining factor in silencing an opponent is because Offensive itself is Vague and subjective.

A person can be offended by nearly anything.

I could even constrew your comments to be an attack upon my character *which it is*


#Yeah, you have mocked me for my age in comparison to yours (Even really how little this means, given how few years we actually differ) on more than a single occasion#

These. Are. Insults.

But, I would Never want a mod to take away your right to voice them. Because I believe in the concept of freedom of speech. I believe individuals have the right to voice even insults. I would even defend you Against a Mod if a Mod threatened to remove your comments for insulting me. Because I believe this equally.


The only reason you are given free rein to do so is because Loreen is Biased. Towards you. And that is a disappointment. Because in all honesty, if Loreen hadn't had this bias towards you, I would be okay with avoiding insults. Because the problem isn't that I can't simply insult people, because even I disagreed with this rule, I would follow it if it were EQUALLY APPLIED. But, it isn't. The Double Standard is what I despise. Because I can bend to the rules of a site if they are fairly applied. I have done so many times. But, to bend when others don't have to, on simply the grounds of popularity and the affection of a moderator, is simply hypocritical.


Anyway, I'm pretty much done. I honestly don't feel like I care about these forums too much anymore. Not like any of this matters. PV will never see this. And he doesn't need to. I'll take my leave.
9516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 8/3/16

MacMeaties wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:I will calmly disagree in certain circumstances. Mainly, suspension of disbelief allows you to believe in magic but conveniences like Aang, Katara, and Sokka being played by white kids just so they could played by white kids just a tired practice that needs to some serious redressing. Not saying this is the case here, but that I find fault with that argument.


It doesn't appear to really have a "coherent" conflict it seems like. More like the gentle political musing.


I was referring to this movie in particular as I do find issue with ethnic alterations to characters in others, including getting slightly more tilted than I should when seeing Asian Shinobu cosplays and white just about anything else cosplays lol.

I think this movie suffers from little more than Hanlon's Razor. To quote the definition - Hanlon's razor is an aphorism expressed in various ways including "Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding," "Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice," and "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by carelessness."

Hollywood is a business and appealing to the largest audience possible and to generate the most revenue is their goal. By bringing on board a huge A lister they increase their odds of raking in big, fat wads of cash. This is almost certainly their sole motive behind the casting not some racist conspiracy.
They could have found a Chinese actor who would be ethnically more authentic to the geographical setting but then you'd probably not have heard about the movie at all to be discussing it right now. That's not Hollywood being racist, it's them being business savy. Hell look at Warcraft. Almost entirely white cast and it was one of the biggest selling movies ever in China despite being a bit of a flop in America.


That's true, but I think less people are attributing it to outright display of racism and a more latent form or a self perpetuating system where white people are cast into A list positions most of the time enough to be A list instead of the former.
8780 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
AKR
Offline
Posted 8/3/16 , edited 8/3/16

CreatorTheta wrote:

Hahahahaha. PV, given that you can't see this, I don't think it really matters if I reply, but, I actually complimented you a few moments ago. Though, given that you blocked me, removing my ability to address you directly

But, why don't you try to reword this sentence, because you missed a word in this first part.


"You're talking to someone who think calling someone an idiot DOESN'T violates the principle of freedom of speech and should be allowed. ."

Yeah, I do. You are emotionally fragile, and that isn't my problem. If you can't even handle a basic insult, then how do you even go through life? This is literally the weakest insult I can throw, and yet you have called people insults yourself on several occasions. And this, this is simply you being offended. And you Have every right to be offended, just as I do. But, to think that people should have the right to silence their opponents BECAUSE they are offended(This doesn't mean YOU can't block your own conversations to me, that simply a refusal to directly address me) And the reason why I believe that Offensive should not be a determining factor in silencing an opponent is because Offensive itself is Vague and subjective.

A person can be offended by nearly anything.

I could even constrew your comments to be an attack upon my character *which it is*


#Yeah, you have mocked me for my age in comparison to yours (Even really how little this means, given how few years we actually differ) on more than a single occasion#

These. Are. Insults.

But, I would Never want a mod to take away your right to voice them. Because I believe in the concept of freedom of speech. I believe individuals have the right to voice even insults. I would even defend you Against a Mod if a Mod threatened to remove your comments for insulting me. Because I believe this equally.


The only reason you are given free rein to do so is because Loreen is Biased. Towards you. And that is a disappointment. Because in all honesty, if Loreen hadn't had this bias towards you, I would be okay with avoiding insults. Because the problem isn't that I can't simply insult people, because even I disagreed with this rule, I would follow it if it were EQUALLY APPLIED. But, it isn't. The Double Standard is what I despise. Because I can bend to the rules of a site if they are fairly applied. I have done so many times. But, to bend when others don't have to, on simply the grounds of popularity and the affection of a moderator, is simply hypocritical.


Anyway, I'm pretty much done. I honestly don't feel like I care about these forums too much anymore. Not like any of this matters. PV will never see this. And he doesn't need to. I'll take my leave.


Is Lorreen biased? Gives PV special treatment?


Mercator does not like special treatment.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 8/3/16 , edited 8/3/16
Makes 16h movie out of it, filmed with... a potato!

8780 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
AKR
Offline
Posted 8/3/16 , edited 8/3/16

Freddy96NO wrote:

Makes 16h movie out of it, filmed with... a potato!



Where in this does it stand dating?




First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.