First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
What is the point in shaming, ridicule, ànd stigma?
Posted 8/6/16
Idk you called me scum on some other thread idk
Posted 8/6/16 , edited 8/6/16
I do it to bring up my sense of self worth higher by putting people down.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 8/6/16
Didn't you call all non-practitioners of christianity animals?
14731 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/6/16 , edited 8/6/16

VerdantHills wrote:

Just answer the question.


Just ASK a freakin' question, that's longer than four words, and maybe might have your own opinion in it, to liven things up!

But to address the header, it's just the Matt Murdock in us: With the fame and SJW cultures at the mercy of a fair justice system, impartial press, and plenty of media spin-doctoring and cries of "persecution" backlash, we tend to hope that some people find justice before justice finds them.

For ex., OJ may have been "innocent" but it didn't help his career, Paul Feig's cries of "sexist haters" didn't help Ghostbusters' box office, and even if convention votes couldn't stop Donald Trump, the Khan comments could.
There is no second appeal in the Court of Public Opinion.
5809 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/6/16


shaming for example telling a kid stealing candy is wrong could be a example of a more positive use of shaming. while another example is i say i disagree with much of modern feminism and someone calls me sexists for that.

ridicule. seems to be relate at least to me to debating which i feel that isn't bad though ridicule i feel is when it takes a less productive path usually involving primarily mocking the person and not trying to show why you think their opinion is incorrect.though sometimes its the best way to get a point across depending on how its done though. various examples of political satire could a example of how it can be used.

stigma basically seems be placing negative aspects on something or someone for example a mpre positive example of stigma is someone who doesn't clean themselves washing hands, bath/show etc is gross and unsanitary. while placing a stigma on someone just because of race is a bad use.


4490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
UK
Offline
Posted 8/6/16

Hail_King_Kakao wrote:

I do it to bring up my sense of self worth higher by putting people down.


That's a cheap tactic since there are more positive ways to raising self esteem without the expense of another's.
8758 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Right here
Offline
Posted 8/6/16

stars201 wrote:

Idk you called me scum on some other thread idk


Wow how did it feel?


XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

Didn't you call all non-practitioners of christianity animals?


y tho
Posted 8/6/16
. . . to have a laugh?!
9493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 8/6/16
Because people like to avoid consequences.
8758 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Right here
Offline
Posted 8/6/16

SenjouRize wrote:

. . . to have a laugh?!


406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 8/6/16
Some use it to make people insecure about themselves so they will fall in line and be more easy to control

It's effective for social groups, but it's also Incredibly counter-productive (it's a big reason why people lie and keep secrets for example)

Posted 8/6/16 , edited 8/6/16

Rinrinrinn wrote:

To feel better about one's self.


This.

Also I believe we do it at conscious/subconscious level to try to make others conform to a particular way of being,
64447 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / US
Offline
Posted 8/6/16
Shaming and ridiculing people can be taken to extremes, but it is often a necessary part of the developmental process. There are stigmas and taboos against certain behaviors for reasons as well.

Let's take the example of incest. There is definitely a taboo and a stigma against incest. In reality, such behavior can result in diseased children via birth defects, reduced intelligence after a couple of generations, and the death of bloodlines. In order to prevent such behavior, those who take part in that behavior are ridiculed and shamed. This might change the mind of those participating in the deed, but to a greater extend dissuades others from attempting it.

Now incest is an extreme example. How about fat shaming? How about taunting those who do not participate in age-appropriate behavior (for example, a teenager still playing cowboys-and-indians)? Enforcing these social norms is not mere luxury, but necessary to the development of a functioning adult. Maybe the person SHOULD lose weight for health reasons. Maybe the shut-in SHOULD play outside and make friends for better mental health. Maybe the person SHOULD get a job that pays the bills rather than chasing foolish dreams. Maybe a person SHOULD NOT alienate others with outlandish behavior if they wish to advance in life.

And I see several posts here which mention "positive methods" and "I wish we didn't do things like this." but that is the wrong attitude. SHAME is a powerful motivator. It can at times be the most powerful motivator. Armies have known this for thousands of years and have used it to develop soldiers. Coaches use it to develop Olympic athletes. Parents use shame to teach children manners. Shame makes people decent human beings. Rapists feel no shame. Thieves have no shame. Child molesters feel no shame. Most criminals perform their deeds without a feeling of guilt that would stop a reasonable person because they have justified their actions to themselves.

And in modern times, when the world has become increasingly atheistic and no longer has a perceived external moral code, SHAME is the one thing that keeps people from being complete dicks to one another. For example, one of the things I love about Japan is that most people don't behave properly because they fear hell - they behave properly because they are proud and would be ashamed of wrongdoing as being beneath them. By contrast, American children are often brought up with boogie men and religious teachings only to abandon those beliefs in adulthood and become selfish dickheads who cannot even use their blinkers in traffic because they are shamelessly at the center of their own world.

Those who proudly boast that, "shaming and ridiculing others is wrong" are either fools or are attempting to get away with something. It is important to ask why a social norm exists and to what extent it is worth enforcing (because some rules are archaic and some methods are too extreme). However, it is arrogance and self-righteousness - not kindness or wisdom - that denies shame's place in social development. Shame and ridicule are absolutely necessary for the development of healthy adults and for the smooth operation of society.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 8/6/16 , edited 8/6/16

dark_paradox_21 wrote:

Let's take the example of incest. There is definitely a taboo and a stigma against incest. In reality, such behavior can result in diseased children via birth defects, reduced intelligence after a couple of generations, and the death of bloodlines. In order to prevent such behavior, those who take part in that behavior are ridiculed and shamed. This might change the mind of those participating in the deed, but to a greater extend dissuades others from attempting it.

Smoking and drinking during pregnancy has a higher rate of birth defect than incest, but no one bats an eye. Face it, people mock those because they feel disgusted at the prospect and to put themselves on a moral high ground.


Now incest is an extreme example. How about fat shaming? Enforcing these social norms is not mere luxury, but necessary to the development of a functioning adult. Maybe the person SHOULD lose weight for health reasons.

Several people lead long and successful lives and their overweight status only ever leads to minor problems at the age of 55 and up. Those who are morbidly obese aren't the only ones who get fat shamed. Face it; people mock them because they feel disgusted at the prospect.


How about taunting those who do not participate in age-appropriate behavior (for example, a teenager still playing cowboys-and-indians? Maybe the shut-in SHOULD play outside and make friends for better mental health.

Many people are content with just internet friends and their close circle of friends, and they do not suffer any negative mental health problems because they don't go out and actively socialize. Face it; people feel the need to place themselves above others.


Maybe the person SHOULD get a job that pays the bills rather than chasing foolish dreams.

But people do anyway. Those who succeed lead happy lives. Those who fail learn a life lesson.


Maybe a person SHOULD NOT alienate others with outlandish behavior if they wish to advance in life.

Once again, people do anyway. And they don't get shamed for it outside of feel-good movies.


And I see several posts here which mention "positive methods" and "I wish we didn't do things like this." but that is the wrong attitude. SHAME is a powerful motivator. It can at times be the most powerful motivator. Armies have known this for thousands of years and have used it to develop soldiers. Coaches use it to develop Olympic athletes. Parents use shame to teach children manners. Shame makes people decent human beings. Rapists feel no shame. Thieves have no shame. Child molesters feel no shame. Most criminals perform their deeds without a feeling of guilt that would stop a reasonable person because they have justified their actions to themselves.

This paragraph is rich. You are thinking of sociopaths, not your common criminal. Some of them do not feel shame for their actions, sure, but many people do experience regret that extends farther than "I'm more sorry that I got caught.".

You can even use your own words as the perfect model of this argument. You feel high and mighty because you've never commited a crime, don't you? Anyone who has is inferior to you.


And in modern times, when the world has become increasingly atheistic and no longer has a perceived external moral code, SHAME is the one thing that keeps people from being complete dicks to one another.

It's common sense. And empathy.

And if anything, SJW's use shame against others as a means to shut them up and make them feel like jackasses for meaningless things like "cultural appropriation" and "promoting rape culture". Shaming others makes them feel like they are fighting for something.


For example, one of the things I love about Japan is that most people don't behave properly because they fear hell - they behave properly because they are proud and would be ashamed of wrongdoing as being beneath them. By contrast, American children are often brought up with boogie men and religious teachings only to abandon those beliefs in adulthood and become selfish dickheads who cannot even use their blinkers in traffic because they are shamelessly at the center of their own world.

Uh huh.. no.

Japan is full of people such as me and yourself, and they act as such. People are mean by nature, not because they were taught to be so. There are very few individuals who can truly be called selfless: everyone else could only be measured as "selfless" in orders of magnitude at best.


Those who proudly boast that, "shaming and ridiculing others is wrong" are either fools or are attempting to get away with something. It is important to ask why a social norm exists and to what extent it is worth enforcing (because some rules are archaic and some methods are too extreme). However, it is arrogance and self-righteousness - not kindness or wisdom - that denies shame's place in social development. Shame and ridicule are absolutely necessary for the development of healthy adults and for the smooth operation of society.

Correct. No one wants to feel inferior, so it is widely used as a means of punishment and deterrant to promote "healthy adult behavior".
13577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Australia
Offline
Posted 8/6/16
It depends on your end game preferences.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.