First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Is Japan really the anime/manga paradise?
1499 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 8/7/16

UnRavel1 wrote:

No. Anime and manga culture equates to like 10% of Japanese culture. For the longest time I thought that I could have an instant connection with any Japanese person I met (via foreign exchange), but after meeting two or three, I learned that being an otaku in the same sense that you are in America is actually pretty rare. Because for them, anime and manga is as much a presence to them as Saturday morning TV is to us. They are aware of it, but many choose not to get into it at all. Something else to note is that Japan is not a perfect country. They have a lot of political and economic issues compared to America, and they can tend to be xenophobic depending on who you meet. But I can also agree that since it is the mother country, it wouldn't take you too long to meet some who share some common interest. I personally like the culture and history as a whole. I find it all, including anime and manga, fascinating.

Know this and you will graduate from being a Weeaboo and move on to greater self-esteem.


lol how will this improve my self-esteem?
7311 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 8/8/16

oneouts123 wrote:


UnRavel1 wrote:

No. Anime and manga culture equates to like 10% of Japanese culture. For the longest time I thought that I could have an instant connection with any Japanese person I met (via foreign exchange), but after meeting two or three, I learned that being an otaku in the same sense that you are in America is actually pretty rare. Because for them, anime and manga is as much a presence to them as Saturday morning TV is to us. They are aware of it, but many choose not to get into it at all. Something else to note is that Japan is not a perfect country. They have a lot of political and economic issues compared to America, and they can tend to be xenophobic depending on who you meet. But I can also agree that since it is the mother country, it wouldn't take you too long to meet some who share some common interest. I personally like the culture and history as a whole. I find it all, including anime and manga, fascinating.

Know this and you will graduate from being a Weeaboo and move on to greater self-esteem.


lol how will this improve my self-esteem?


Idk. It did for me. Just trying to let you know cause I empathize with your question.
1499 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 8/8/16

UnRavel1 wrote:


oneouts123 wrote:


UnRavel1 wrote:

No. Anime and manga culture equates to like 10% of Japanese culture. For the longest time I thought that I could have an instant connection with any Japanese person I met (via foreign exchange), but after meeting two or three, I learned that being an otaku in the same sense that you are in America is actually pretty rare. Because for them, anime and manga is as much a presence to them as Saturday morning TV is to us. They are aware of it, but many choose not to get into it at all. Something else to note is that Japan is not a perfect country. They have a lot of political and economic issues compared to America, and they can tend to be xenophobic depending on who you meet. But I can also agree that since it is the mother country, it wouldn't take you too long to meet some who share some common interest. I personally like the culture and history as a whole. I find it all, including anime and manga, fascinating.

Know this and you will graduate from being a Weeaboo and move on to greater self-esteem.


lol how will this improve my self-esteem?


Idk. It did for me. Just trying to let you know cause I empathize with your question.


also i thought that manga (especially seinen manga) had a huge impact on the general adult populous in japan (specifically salary men), it would seem that it would have more presence then Saturday morning TV?
7311 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 8/8/16

oneouts123 wrote:


UnRavel1 wrote:


oneouts123 wrote:


UnRavel1 wrote:

No. Anime and manga culture equates to like 10% of Japanese culture. For the longest time I thought that I could have an instant connection with any Japanese person I met (via foreign exchange), but after meeting two or three, I learned that being an otaku in the same sense that you are in America is actually pretty rare. Because for them, anime and manga is as much a presence to them as Saturday morning TV is to us. They are aware of it, but many choose not to get into it at all. Something else to note is that Japan is not a perfect country. They have a lot of political and economic issues compared to America, and they can tend to be xenophobic depending on who you meet. But I can also agree that since it is the mother country, it wouldn't take you too long to meet some who share some common interest. I personally like the culture and history as a whole. I find it all, including anime and manga, fascinating.

Know this and you will graduate from being a Weeaboo and move on to greater self-esteem.


lol how will this improve my self-esteem?


Idk. It did for me. Just trying to let you know cause I empathize with your question.


also i thought that manga (especially seinen manga) had a huge impact on the general adult populous in japan (specifically salary men), it would seem that it would have more presence then Saturday morning TV?


That may be true. The statistics do vary slightly. It all boils down to macro-sociological analysis. If it were possible to pool data from Japan and America on this, there would certainly be a higher concentration of people who know and accept anime and manga due to it being the mother country for that innovation. But stuff that falls outside the margin of thought is how it may also coincide with political, economic, institutional, and familial differences in culture. Plus we can look at patterns all day, but the complexities of a society of moving parts and organized chaos only shows controlled randomness. So whether you're question can be answered by a simple "yes" or "no" is completely subjective based on the experiences of whose asking. Personally, I answer "no" just cause I've made the social mistake of assuming everyone from Japan has interest in anime and manga (when in fact one of the foreign exchange students I met wanted to run his own toilet manufacturing company!). I just think it's impossible to put an overarching generalization on something as mysterious as a human. But it's up to you if you agree with me.
1037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / F
Offline
Posted 8/8/16
Not everyone is an otaku or a manga/anime fan. Not even close. There is also a problem with warped fans becoming criminals, so I don't like some manga/anime (Including hentai).
17031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 8/8/16

Rujikin wrote:


KnightOfZero1991 wrote:

I haven't been to Japan.. yet, but I have 2-3 dozen Japanese friends so I can tell you what I know.

Not everyone is an otaku, not even close. However, the manga industry is huge out there, so a very large portion of the population reads at least a bit of it. Nevertheless, it has the highest amount of anime fans per capita, so finding one isn't super difficult. There is one district in Japan that is an anime dreamland though, and that is Akihabara, it's located in Tokyo.


HAIL THE HOLY LAND AKIHABARA!!! May your wallets be empty and your bags full!


Nogara-san wrote:


oneouts123 wrote:

You hear people talk about Japan like its a magical place where every citizen is an otaku and how its a dreamland for anime fans around the world. But is it really like that? Could someone who has been to japan please explain?


Have not been to Japan, but I"m pretty sure it's a normal country with its pride and problems like every other country in the world.


Though I have read that it's more of an embarrassment if you say you're an otaku.


Am I the only one who would go to Japan just to see the temples, buildings and natural scenery? Sometimes I feel like the only anime fan out there who'd be more interested in this...besides seeing the anime stuff...


I'd like to see that stuff as well, Japan is quite the beautiful country when you leave the cities. However I want to see the neko cafes and all the weird anime stuff in Akihabara too.


I definitely wouldn't mind seeing the weird stuff as well...*shrugs* Maybe I've been watching too much historical dramas/animes

Sogno- 
45766 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/8/16
um well i mean for otaku it is an anime/manga paradise, since most anime/manga come from Japan and you can buy all the merch and manga for cheaper price there than you would overseas... but no not everyone is an otaku lol from my understanding being an "otaku" is pretty looked down upon
9463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Online
Posted 8/8/16
From what I experienced... no. Then again, my experience is limited to Tokyo and Hakone. I may be burned at the stake for this, but I found Akihabara to be underwhelming. Yes, there are quite a few arcades, which you don't see much of in the states anymore, and that's about it. I went into the Mandarake building, and found the selection lacking. I can't speak about bookstores, since I only went to one in Shinjuku since it's a chain that has a location in my hometown, but I didn't see much manga. I also had zero anime on the tv at the hotel that I stayed at.

That being said, if you want to go to Japan, I'd say go for it. I didn't care for Tokyo, because it felt a bit too much like New York for me, but I plan to make a trip to Osaka in the near future.
16863 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 8/8/16

Nogara-san wrote:


Rujikin wrote:


KnightOfZero1991 wrote:

I haven't been to Japan.. yet, but I have 2-3 dozen Japanese friends so I can tell you what I know.

Not everyone is an otaku, not even close. However, the manga industry is huge out there, so a very large portion of the population reads at least a bit of it. Nevertheless, it has the highest amount of anime fans per capita, so finding one isn't super difficult. There is one district in Japan that is an anime dreamland though, and that is Akihabara, it's located in Tokyo.


HAIL THE HOLY LAND AKIHABARA!!! May your wallets be empty and your bags full!


Nogara-san wrote:


oneouts123 wrote:

You hear people talk about Japan like its a magical place where every citizen is an otaku and how its a dreamland for anime fans around the world. But is it really like that? Could someone who has been to japan please explain?


Have not been to Japan, but I"m pretty sure it's a normal country with its pride and problems like every other country in the world.


Though I have read that it's more of an embarrassment if you say you're an otaku.


Am I the only one who would go to Japan just to see the temples, buildings and natural scenery? Sometimes I feel like the only anime fan out there who'd be more interested in this...besides seeing the anime stuff...


I'd like to see that stuff as well, Japan is quite the beautiful country when you leave the cities. However I want to see the neko cafes and all the weird anime stuff in Akihabara too.


I definitely wouldn't mind seeing the weird stuff as well...*shrugs* Maybe I've been watching too much historical dramas/animes



Probably. I don't really watch those so I don't see some of the scenes you see.
8808 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
AKR
Offline
Posted 8/8/16 , edited 8/8/16
No.
Its all lies.
15261 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 8/8/16 , edited 8/8/16
The only people that think Japan is an anime paradise are weeaboos; just because something is popular in a culture does not mean that it ubiquitous. From my understanding, anime is a rather niche thing in Japan in the same sense as Warhammer 40k or D&D. If you want to meet people who like anime, go to a convention or see if your city has an anime society. Going to Japan isn't a good idea.

1499 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 8/8/16

UnRavel1 wrote:


oneouts123 wrote:


UnRavel1 wrote:


oneouts123 wrote:


UnRavel1 wrote:

No. Anime and manga culture equates to like 10% of Japanese culture. For the longest time I thought that I could have an instant connection with any Japanese person I met (via foreign exchange), but after meeting two or three, I learned that being an otaku in the same sense that you are in America is actually pretty rare. Because for them, anime and manga is as much a presence to them as Saturday morning TV is to us. They are aware of it, but many choose not to get into it at all. Something else to note is that Japan is not a perfect country. They have a lot of political and economic issues compared to America, and they can tend to be xenophobic depending on who you meet. But I can also agree that since it is the mother country, it wouldn't take you too long to meet some who share some common interest. I personally like the culture and history as a whole. I find it all, including anime and manga, fascinating.

Know this and you will graduate from being a Weeaboo and move on to greater self-esteem.


lol how will this improve my self-esteem?


Idk. It did for me. Just trying to let you know cause I empathize with your question.


also i thought that manga (especially seinen manga) had a huge impact on the general adult populous in japan (specifically salary men), it would seem that it would have more presence then Saturday morning TV?


That may be true. The statistics do vary slightly. It all boils down to macro-sociological analysis. If it were possible to pool data from Japan and America on this, there would certainly be a higher concentration of people who know and accept anime and manga due to it being the mother country for that innovation. But stuff that falls outside the margin of thought is how it may also coincide with political, economic, institutional, and familial differences in culture. Plus we can look at patterns all day, but the complexities of a society of moving parts and organized chaos only shows controlled randomness. So whether you're question can be answered by a simple "yes" or "no" is completely subjective based on the experiences of whose asking. Personally, I answer "no" just cause I've made the social mistake of assuming everyone from Japan has interest in anime and manga (when in fact one of the foreign exchange students I met wanted to run his own toilet manufacturing company!). I just think it's impossible to put an overarching generalization on something as mysterious as a human. But it's up to you if you agree with me.


I actually do agree with some of the stuff you said but could you tell me where you found your statistics cause i would like to compare them with the data i found.
9834 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 8/8/16
No, there is no such thing as "paradise" and a "perfect country." Should someone require visitation to Japan in order to figure that out, said person is a moron.
1268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M / Poland
Offline
Posted 8/12/16 , edited 8/12/16
I haven't been in Japan, but I have watched some videos and I think it is
41721 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/12/16
of course it's not
anyone who thinks that japan culturally only consists of animanga media is a fucking weeb who needs to seriously be schooled
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.