First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
Post Reply "Good Without God" campaign
8772 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Right here
Offline
Posted 8/8/16 , edited 8/8/16

MysticGon wrote:

Humility is the best way to foster discussion and understanding.





Uh what did i say wrong?
24257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 8/8/16

Jophar_Vorin wrote:


MysticGon wrote:

Humility is the best way to foster discussion and understanding.





Uh what did i say wrong?


Nothing. I agree with you 100%. I'm not being sarcastic.
8772 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Right here
Offline
Posted 8/8/16 , edited 8/8/16

MysticGon wrote:

Nothing. I agree with you 100%. I'm not being sarcastic.


Oh okay! I have problems figuring things i do wrong social wise, so i needed to ask incase it was sarcastic.
14749 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/8/16 , edited 8/8/16

MysticGon wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Ejanss wrote:

(Sooner or later, it WILL involve paranoia, and trying to "cure" the "problem" with whatever final solutions they deem necessary. Because their complaint is against Man, not God, and you cannot long be friends with the object of your free-floating blame.)


Nope not all atheists are like that.
Thats the same as saying all christians will try to force god down your throat.


Humility is the best way to foster discussion and understanding.


But the very concept of Humility--which many forms of Christianity teach as the fundament of its theology, even if you have to wash somebody's feet to do it--must first involve speaking a quote that is heretical anathema to atheists, and which would morally gall them to their very soul spirit to utter:
"Oops, I was wrong. My bad. "

To speak these words is to clean one's spiritual slate and invite Learning. But it brings with them the consequences of speaking it.
8502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 8/8/16 , edited 8/15/16

Ejanss wrote:

But the very concept of Humility--which many forms of Christianity teach as the fundament of its theology, even if you have to wash somebody's feet to do it--must first involve speaking a quote that is heretical anathema to atheists, and which would morally gall them to their very soul spirit to utter:
"Oops, I was wrong. My bad. "

To speak these words is to clean one's spiritual slate and invite Learning. But it brings with them the consequences of speaking it.


Most atheists believe these lessons are ultimately irreligious, and that religion complicate things even more so with rules against homosexuality and transgender, the belief in creationism, etc. I don't see where it says humility is ultimately a virtue found in religion. If you ask me, I think the world would be better if we embraced logic, and discard this belief in a higher power. Or at least the man made books which tells us how to live our lives. You know, scratch that. Disregard every notion we have of god and how we think he wants us to live.


8772 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Right here
Offline
Posted 8/8/16 , edited 8/8/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Most atheists believe these lessons are ultimately irreligious, and that religion complicate things even more so with rules against homosexuality and transgender, the belief in creationism, etc. I don't see where it says humility is ultimately a virtue found in religion. If you ask me, I think the world would be better if we embraced logic, and discard this belief in a higher power. Or at least the man made books which tells us how to live our lives. You know, scratch that. Disregard every notion we have of god and how we think he wants us to live.

If anything, I'm upset that this clause is here when it shouldn't, for both heterosexual couples and homosexual relations.



Mm actually think that believing in god is a good thing. As it gives you a sense of purpose.
Its the people who want to go against gays and evolutionists i have a problem with.

If i am on titanic i would rather believe in god than believe in nothing! As it gives me that "this isnt the end" thingy.
So i encourage the good parts of it infact.
8502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 8/8/16

Jophar_Vorin wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Most atheists believe these lessons are ultimately irreligious, and that religion complicate things even more so with rules against homosexuality and transgender, the belief in creationism, etc. I don't see where it says humility is ultimately a virtue found in religion. If you ask me, I think the world would be better if we embraced logic, and discard this belief in a higher power. Or at least the man made books which tells us how to live our lives. You know, scratch that. Disregard every notion we have of god and how we think he wants us to live.

If anything, I'm upset that this clause is here when it shouldn't, for both heterosexual couples and homosexual relations.



Mm actually think that believing in god is a good thing. As it gives you a sense of purpose.
Its the people who want to go against gays and evolutionists i have a problem with.

If i am on titanic i would rather believe in god than believe in nothing! As it gives me that "this isnt the end" thingy.
So i encourage the good parts of it infact.


I rather not. The fact of a higher being that can sentence me to eternal damnation over a bunch of rules I have no way of knowing terrify me. Heck, he can send me just because! Have you read Grecian myths? What the Olympians did are terrifying.
8772 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Right here
Offline
Posted 8/8/16 , edited 8/8/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I rather not. The fact of a higher being that can sentence me to eternal damnation over a bunch of rules I have no way of knowing terrify me. Heck, he can send me just because! Have you read Grecian myths? What the Olympians did are terrifying.


There are parts i dont want to encourage. Eternal hell is one of them. But a temporary hell is okay with me.
30398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
アラスカ
Offline
Posted 8/8/16
Oh no, we might have to start defining what "good" is! Or not... yeah, let's not.

On topic, it's about time agnostics got on board with taking god out of good. God's been trying to get people to do that for centuries. (You know, doing what's right because we want to, not because we fear punishment or expect a reward.)
16406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / east coast. Let t...
Offline
Posted 8/8/16
I hate these sorts of threads.
8502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 8/8/16 , edited 8/8/16
I just believe the good of religion is something that is innate, and remain without religion. I believe good people will usually be good without religion, but bad people? A bit difficult.
7738 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Disboard
Offline
Posted 8/8/16 , edited 8/15/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Most atheists believe these lessons are ultimately irreligious, and that religion complicate things even more so with rules against homosexuality and transgender, the belief in creationism, etc. I don't see where it says humility is ultimately a virtue found in religion. If you ask me, I think the world would be better if we embraced logic, and discard this belief in a higher power. Or at least the man made books which tells us how to live our lives. You know, scratch that. Disregard every notion we have of god and how we think he wants us to live.



"I think the world would be better if we embraced logic, and discard this belief in a higher power."

One of the main reason religion was created was to try to come to an understanding of how the world worked. In the early days of humanity when religion was being created we had very little if any understanding of how the world worked and that scared us, so to try to comfort ourselves we created the idea that there must be a greater being in this world that created it and etc. you know the rest of the story.

But here we are thousands of years later, we now have a pretty good grasp of the universe but yet we still have religion. You know around half of all scientist are religious but just about none of them believe in creationism. They know how the world works so they don't need a greater being to explain how it all came to be, they simply believe in religion for i guess personal reasons, maybe fear of death, hell or whatever. Religion is a plague full of false hopes and lies.

your quote that i have up top reminds me of that thing Neil degrasse tyson was speaking of i think its called ratinalia or whatever i read a bit of it and it sounds amazing.
8502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 8/8/16 , edited 8/15/16

hemicuda2 wrote:

"I think the world would be better if we embraced logic, and discard this belief in a higher power."

One of the main reason religion was created was to try to come to an understanding of how the world worked. In the early days of humanity when religion was being created we had very little if any understanding of how the world worked and that scared us, so to try to comfort ourselves we created the idea that there must be a greater being in this world that created it and etc. you know the rest of the story.

But here we are thousands of years later, we now have a pretty good grasp of the universe but yet we still have religion. You know around half of all scientist are religious but just about none of them believe in creationism. They know how the world works so they don't need a greater being to explain how it all came to be, they simply believe in religion for i guess personal reasons, maybe fear of death, hell or whatever. Religion is a plague full of false hopes and lies.

your quote that i have up top reminds me of that thing Neil degrasse tyson was speaking of i think its called ratinalia or whatever i read a bit of it and it sounds amazing.


I revised it, hence "scratch that" to what I meant. The fact that we think we know god and his wishes, when we don't even know his existence. I believe it to be unknowable.
Talav 
9030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/8/16 , edited 8/8/16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmwLPU5H6_Q

It's how you act, not what you think that matters.
State and religion should, however, be separated.
7802 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/8/16

Ejanss wrote:

But the very concept of Humility--which many forms of Christianity teach as the fundament of its theology, even if you have to wash somebody's feet to do it--must first involve speaking a quote that is heretical anathema to atheists, and which would morally gall them to their very soul spirit to utter:
"Oops, I was wrong. My bad. "

To speak these words is to clean one's spiritual slate and invite Learning. But it brings with them the consequences of speaking it.


Hm? Aren't you going into it with quite a bit of arrogance by assuming that you're correct and saying that atheists must first admit that there is a god before you'd consider them to be speaking with you humbly? That's akin to someone having to get down on their knees and begging before having the "honor" of speaking with you, or saying, "Hey, I am trash, but please hear me out." It doesn't seem like your thoughts align with the ideal of humility.
13062 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/8/16 , edited 8/11/16
Im not a religious guy, I dont really have any theistic beliefs. but when i get the religious folk talking to me and asking me about their ways and if i believe, Im usually honest, and i give them my beliefs, we usually meet in the middle and both agree its all beautiful.

Part of what we have to do is relate and think in their shoes. they're spreading something they love like how we preach good animes, they just want to share. but we can all agree on that this whole thing is beautiful. with religion, or without, this world/universe is a very amazing place.

I hate to see people being silly with their beliefs all you can do is tell people how you see it, and try to see it they way they do. and try your best to meet in the middle. Things feel a lot happier and hopeful.

Sorry, I kinda ranted and there might not be really any structure to what i said.


Tl;dr Alcknowledge eachother
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.