First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
Post Reply "Good Without God" campaign
9578 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Online
Posted 8/8/16 , edited 8/8/16

Ejanss wrote:


LezRockEm wrote:


Ejanss wrote:

Oh, that--That's the old joke about how you can birdwatch-guide which traumatic childhood an atheist had by which "weapon" of choice he uses:
1) is usually the kid whose mom died of cancer when they were six, and they're the "Hitman God with his scope-rifle" whiners who go into the whole "Why does God not stop more evil in the world?" act.
2) tends to be the parental/sexual abuse cases who talk about "hypocrisy" and "conspiracies" a lot, and claim that every Catholic priest who ever wore a collar was buggering fourth graders in the choir,
3) is more often than not the Red State victims who were forced to memorize all the OT verses in state-church school verbatim, think that every single religion on the planet are the Southern Baptists, and embarrass themselves trying to go micro-trivia text-nitpicking to heckle everyone else with scientific deconstructions of Noah's Ark and Creation, when most modern Protestant sects in the 21st century don't even pay attention to those anymore,
And 4) just lumps in all the lapsed Catholics and UK Anglicans who were never taught anything about Protestantism and thought they'd found "the flaw in all religion" because they'd found the one in their own, and all the disgruntled gays who think the entire world still pays attention to Leviticus. No, seriously, Leviticus.


So... essentially brushing off atheists as being nothing more than children throwing a tantrum, and placing theism as something that "adults" do.


Well, erm....

(thinks)

(reads over other posts)


...Yeah.



You can't be serious Ejanss.
14777 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/8/16 , edited 8/8/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Ejanss wrote:


LezRockEm wrote:
So... essentially brushing off atheists as being nothing more than children throwing a tantrum, and placing theism as something that "adults" do.


Well, erm....

(thinks)

(reads over other posts)


...Yeah.



You can't be serious Ejanss.


Well, children do tend to portray themselves as the blameless innocent victims of Bad People more often than adults do, and leap to the rationalization that the entire world is "unfair" when it doesn't let them do what they want, so...
8351 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/8/16
Most of those names believe in some form of materialist naturalism if I recall their perspectives correctly. What does 'good' mean in that context given that they cannot speak of an objective good like the theist might (An eternal standard which exists beyond the merely material)?

665 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/8/16
1 > If creationists can’t do science, then why do Kent Hovind and Duane Gish who are creation scientists have degrees in science??

2 > If dinosaurs turned into birds why are we not afraid of them?

3 >If homosexuality is right then how come two people of the same sex not produce a child?

4 >What purpose do we have if evolution is real?

5 > You say Jesus never existed but have you heard of the shroud of Turin?

11782 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / McDonough
Offline
Posted 8/8/16

cdarklock wrote:



It doesn't matter how you want to eliminate it, YOU DO NOT GET TO ELIMINATE IDEAS YOU DON'T LIKE.


That's kind of the whole point of preaching your ideals on any subject not just religion. To say you can't do that is to say you can't voice your opinion.

Is it so wrong for me to want to eliminate the idea that it's okay to behead someone for adultery? Is it wrong of me to want to eliminate the idea that men can't love men and women can't love women? There's nothing wrong with eliminating ideas, that's how society progresses. Otherwise everyone would still believe the Earth was flat and the universe revolved around us. Sure I may be taking your argument to the extreme here, but you're the one that basically compared the AHA to Nazi's earlier simply because they wanted to spread the idea that Atheism isn't a bad thing.
11782 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / McDonough
Offline
Posted 8/8/16

sah36ila wrote:

1 > If creationists can’t do science, then why do Kent Hovind and Duane Gish who are creation scientists have degrees in science??

2 > If dinosaurs turned into birds why are we not afraid of them?

3 >If homosexuality is right then how come two people of the same sex not produce a child?

4 >What purpose do we have if evolution is real?

5 > You say Jesus never existed but have you heard of the shroud of Turin?



Are these serious questions? If so...

1- No one (who knows what they are talking about) says creationists can't do science. Even Neil DegrasseTyson says that you can't "educate religion out of someone'. However when your fundamental principles are off, your results will be as well, and therefore it's incompatible with non-creationists science.

2- People didn't exist during the time of dinosaurs so (I'm assuming you mean we should instinctively be afraid?) we aren't afraid of them.

3- Producing children has nothing to do with love. There are 7+ billion people on Earth, I think we'll be okay if a few people don't procreate.

4- You have no predetermined purpose, you decide your own purpose in life.

5- I don't see what the Shroud of Turin has to do with anything? Even an educated Atheist can't deny Jesus' existence, only the fact that he is the son of a god.
Posted 8/8/16
I find it foolish of anyone to think that they could just destroy the idea of God.
13618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Australia
Offline
Posted 8/8/16
Lmao.
614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / The Ivory Tower
Offline
Posted 8/8/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


Ejanss wrote:

who think the entire world still pays attention to Leviticus. No, seriously, Leviticus.

And the best part is that you guys still seriously quote other parts of the book and openly admit to cherry picking which parts you want and don't want to be true.


I think I have told you at least once before that that's not how it works. The New Testament clearly teaches that much of the ceremonial law in the Old Testament no longer applies. I can literally just google "ceremonial law vs moral law" and get a reasonable answer to what you're saying.
Posted 8/8/16

auroraloose wrote:


XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


Ejanss wrote:

who think the entire world still pays attention to Leviticus. No, seriously, Leviticus.

And the best part is that you guys still seriously quote other parts of the book and openly admit to cherry picking which parts you want and don't want to be true.


I think I have told you at least once before that that's not how it works. The New Testament clearly teaches that much of the ceremonial law in the Old Testament no longer applies. I can literally just google "ceremonial law vs moral law" and get a reasonable answer to what you're saying.


Yup.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 8/8/16

auroraloose wrote:

I think I have told you at least once before that that's not how it works. The New Testament clearly teaches that much of the ceremonial law in the Old Testament no longer applies. I can literally just google "ceremonial law vs moral law" and get a reasonable answer to what you're saying.

Ffs I'm not going to debate this.

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Matthew-Chapter-5/
614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / The Ivory Tower
Offline
Posted 8/8/16
I can understand why you wouldn't want to; you'd lose. Your reference to Matthew 5:17-19 doesn't work.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 8/8/16

auroraloose wrote:

I can understand why you wouldn't want to; you'd lose. Your reference to Matthew 5:17-19 doesn't work.

Don't really care about whatever interpretation that links to.
614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / The Ivory Tower
Offline
Posted 8/8/16
You see, the problem is that interpretations are not all equally valid. This is why, when I say something about quantum mechanics, Christianity, or the history of science, I have fairly good interpretations because I have studied these three quite a bit. You, however, seem to be cherry-picking the verses someone told you happen to go along with a particular uninformed interpretation.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 8/8/16

auroraloose wrote:

You see, the problem is that interpretations are not all equally valid.

In other words, "My interpretation is right, and others' wrong.".

I see I made the correct choice in not getting into a long-winded debate here, since this is what your belief ultimately boils down to.

I think I am done here now.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.