First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Is there a future for Seinen anime/manga?
1499 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 8/8/16 , edited 8/8/16
Josei is pretty much a dead demographic and Shounen rules the entire anime and manga industry but what about Seinen? Will Seinen ever be as popular as Shounen? I thought with the increase of adult anime/manga fans there would be an increase in Seinen tittles but that doesn't seem to be the case.




Posted 8/8/16
Josei will never die.
1456 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23
Offline
Posted 8/8/16 , edited 8/8/16
Are you talking about a specific type of seinen, or the demographic as a whole? Because adaptations of anime from Manga Time Kirara have been going strong, with New Game being the most recent addition and Magic of Stella next season. There's a new show like that every season pretty much! Not as popular as shounen, but still pretty consistent!

Given your two examples though , I guess you mean something more specific. I think what you're looking for will always be there, but just not as common. Much like Josei, which isn't dead (heck, Rakugo Shinjuu was AOTS last season with a sequel on the way) but is just uncommon. I personally think it will probably always be that way, but who knows?
7059 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Costa Rica
Offline
Posted 8/8/16
There are a lot of titles that are labeled as seinen, but they're not the same as Berserk or Monster. Heck, even the K-ON manga was published in a seinen magazine. Sometimes action titles like Taboo Tattoo are labeled as such, but they're just like any other normal shonen, in fact Taboo Tattoo is worse than most shonen out there, but it's still seinen. Claymore is basically Berserk 2.0, yet it is a shonen. Defining a specific reason to why a story is a seinen and not shonen is not so easy anymore.

But even with all of that, that doesn't mean that masterpieces like Berserk or Monster will stop being made. Manga like those are not so common, true, but they still exist and earn their recognition. Berserk is still a huge success even today, 18 years after it started being published. In my opinion, there is a future for seinen anime and manga, but it won't always involve stories like Berserk, Monster, Parasyte or Gantz
2324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Defeating enemies...
Offline
Posted 8/8/16
Seinen and Josei just tend to resonate with less of the anime viewing community. The common viewing demographic of anime are generally younger people, whom shounen and shoujo are targeted at. Seinen and Josei won't die, and I think as the demographic ages (assuming they continue to watch anime) seinen and josei will likely see a bit of a surge in popularity.
1499 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 8/8/16

Sun_Seto-san wrote:

Seinen and Josei just tend to resonate with less of the anime viewing community. The common viewing demographic of anime are generally younger people, whom shounen and shoujo are targeted at. Seinen and Josei won't die, and I think as the demographic ages (assuming they continue to watch anime) seinen and josei will likely see a bit of a surge in popularity.


you know the funny thing is that almost half of the Shounen Jump readership are adults ( i am also apart of that half)
33355 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Socal
Online
Posted 8/8/16
I don't think Seinen and Josei will die out. I'm not the biggest fan of seinen since it's usually some edgy shit. But sometimes there is some good stuff.
There will always be labels and groups, easier to organize.
7502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / New Jersey USA
Offline
Posted 8/8/16 , edited 8/16/16
I wish Vinland Saga would become an anime

Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 8/8/16
I goddamn well hope so pretty much every shounen out there has bored me since Bleach.
1499 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 8/9/16

pandrasb wrote:

I don't think Seinen and Josei will die out. I'm not the biggest fan of seinen since it's usually some edgy shit. But sometimes there is some good stuff.
There will always be labels and groups, easier to organize.


what type of anime do you prefer?
33355 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Socal
Online
Posted 8/9/16

oneouts123 wrote:


pandrasb wrote:

I don't think Seinen and Josei will die out. I'm not the biggest fan of seinen since it's usually some edgy shit. But sometimes there is some good stuff.
There will always be labels and groups, easier to organize.


what type of anime do you prefer?


Lighthearted escapism. Like I'm the opposite of the guy that likes really serious and thought provoking, and philosophical anime. I don't want to think just enjoy.
Now if you like take Re:Zero, I enjoy that one because of the escapism, the fantasy of dying and going back and retrying, that fantasy setting. While it's not lighthearted it still is fantasy. And it's not complicated.
8770 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Right here
Online
Posted 8/9/16
Arent kids more profitable?
Its all about the $.
Sogno- 
45654 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/9/16

VerdantHills wrote:

Josei will never die.


^

i love me some good smut josei
17031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 8/9/16
Josei ain't dead. Just doesn't sell in the states as much as shonen does.

2324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Defeating enemies...
Offline
Posted 8/9/16

oneouts123 wrote:


Sun_Seto-san wrote:

Seinen and Josei just tend to resonate with less of the anime viewing community. The common viewing demographic of anime are generally younger people, whom shounen and shoujo are targeted at. Seinen and Josei won't die, and I think as the demographic ages (assuming they continue to watch anime) seinen and josei will likely see a bit of a surge in popularity.


you know the funny thing is that almost half of the Shounen Jump readership are adults ( i am also apart of that half)


Do you mean in the US or in Japan?
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.