First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
What do you think of violence in fiction?
Posted 8/10/16
Violence comes from many sources, including the media; in that form it trivializes violence, and glamorizes it for kids, who consquently grow up with violent fantasies. No wonder there's so much violence in the world today. Violent anime, movies, and literature. As a society we've become addicted towards violence. It desensitizes people and leads them to rebel against God and into sin. But enough about what I think, what do YOU think we should do to remedy this? Honesty and positivity is much appreciated, thank you.
632 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 8/10/16
I like and enjoy it so I think it does not need a remedy
Posted 8/10/16

Chaossal wrote:

I like and enjoy it so I think it does not need a remedy


But it does. Think of how many hate the west for their liberal ways.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 8/10/16 , edited 8/10/16
You answered it with your own question: it's fiction.
671 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/10/16
Violence in fiction is just fiction. I'm reading the new Corpse Party manga right now and I dont feel like killing anybody. But I am desensitized to violence, but I like it that way because I dont get emotional over everything. Also, I'm an atheist. Not because of violence, but because gods simply dont exist, even if they did who would worship a god so bad as the christian god or allah or any of them?
Posted 8/10/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

You answered it with your own question: it's fiction.


Fiction is an influence, the same as any other. It needs tougher regulation and less sex, drugs, and violence.
9785 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 8/10/16 , edited 8/10/16
Misleading title. I thought you wanted to know what people "think of violence in fiction," not on "how fictional violence is bad and should be curbed."



I disagree with the implication that we were pleasant lambs prior to fictional violence, and I stand against the notion that fiction has notably increased violent acts, if at all. Correlation does not imply causation.


I'm unsure of whether or not you're serious. As of yet, I haven't seen you around enough to quite tell. I'm leaning mostly towards "not serious."
Posted 8/10/16

Senjougahara_Hitagi wrote:

Violence in fiction is just fiction. I'm reading the new Corpse Party manga right now and I dont feel like killing anybody. But I am desensitized to violence, but I like it that way because I dont get emotional over everything. Also, I'm an atheist. Not because of violence, but because gods simply dont exist, even if they did who would worship a god so bad as the christian god or allah or any of them?


Well, you're not tbe only person it impacts; there indeed is a coorelation between fiction and IRL. There needs to be more rigorous studies , as of now there isn't enough funding for.
632 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 8/10/16

VerdantHills wrote:


Chaossal wrote:

I like and enjoy it so I think it does not need a remedy


But it does. Think of how many hate the west for their liberal ways.


I don't understand the connection your reply has with violence in fiction?
Posted 8/10/16
Violence in media is nothing worth remedying at the extent it is portrayed now, but it is the way in which people are unaware of how it influences them on a personal level and how one relates to it. If you want to discard your power and create or enter into an environment that resembles to living in a hole void of life go ahead.
Posted 8/10/16

aeb0717 wrote:

Misleading title. I thought you wanted to know what people "think of violence in fiction," not on "how fictional violence is bad and should be curbed."



I disagree with the implication that we were pleasant lambs prior to fictional violence, and I stand against the notion that fiction has notably increased violent acts, if at all. Correlation does not imply causation.


I'm unsure of whether or not you're serious. As of yet, I haven't seen you around enough to quite tell. I'm leaning mostly towards "not serious."


But it does potentially; at least that much cannot be denied.
Posted 8/10/16 , edited 8/10/16

potentsativa wrote:

Violence in media is nothing worth remedying at the extent it is portrayed now, but it is the way in which people are unaware of how it influences them on a personal level and how one relates to it. If you want to discard your power and create or enter into an environment that resembles to living in a hole void of life go ahead.


I think it has more an impact that you realize, and it isnt a positive power if it might lead to more violence. Power without control is not justice; if it harms society like an addiction then it is a danger to it.
39015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Tralfamadore
Offline
Posted 8/10/16
I think fiction,(various media), still has away to go as sources. Real life issues ignorance and poverty are still in the lead.
42 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 8/10/16 , edited 8/10/16
Things can be depicted in different ways. For example, I just read "Ender's Game", and that book is filled with profanity, crudeness and violence. But it doesn't glamorize any of those. Far from it. It really got me thinking about a lot of things. Portraying something isn't necessarily approving of it...although that may certainly be the case. There are many shows, for example, that encourage violence as the ultimate conflict resolution. It is most certainly not the best way to resolve conflict. But sometimes it is the only way, and at time you have to take a stand and do what you have to while not being glad you have to/get to do it.

Frankly, I struggle to enjoy shows that have lots of violence. Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit, for example, had violence in it, but was a breath of fresh air because it didn't revel in it. There was so much positivity in that show. It felt like I was watching something by Hiyao Miyazaki. It's such a great show.

In contrast, I tried to watch "One Punch Man" and couldn't even get through the first episode. So much gruesome, glamorized violence. It may be a parody, but not all parodies are good.

It reminds me of a moment from "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone". Ollivander mentions that Voldemort was great...terrible, but great. Just like some shows, video games, books, etc. Many of them are great...but not good.
5619 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Korriban
Offline
Posted 8/10/16
Just want to point out to everyone who believes modern depictions of violence desensitize people that for hundreds of years, up until about WWI/II, the world glorified war and violence. The Viking/Nordic cultures were based around killing people. So really the only problem now is that the world gets scared too easily
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.