First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply Fat acceptance
35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/12/16
I don't think that obese people should necessarily have a negative body image or low self-esteem, and to that end I certainly think that the implicit, often unconscious negative biases people tend to exhibit against obese people (such as assuming laziness) and verbal abuse (not simple teasing, but sincere abuse) ought to be relinquished since they're not constructive. With that in mind I'm not, however, sure obesity should be something that's celebrated. It should still be framed as a significant health concern.
42275 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 8/12/16
I'm fat and I don't even go around saying I'm proud to be fat.
57 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / United States of...
Offline
Posted 8/12/16
Today's society is way to focused on not hurting peoples feelings. They use fat shamming and love your body to hide behind what really matters, being fat is unhealthy and will lead to many health problems.
25020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Northern Ireland
Online
Posted 8/12/16 , edited 8/12/16
It does depend on your definition of what fat is. There are people who would call Christina Hendricks fat and I'm just sitting here telling the lieutenant to stand at ease.
Also look at professional athletes in certain sports as well as the military. There are a fair few chunky fellas that would qualify as fat to a surprising amount of people in those who'd run the vast majority of us into the ground. Rugby is a perfect example.

If by fat acceptance we mean accepting people who aren't an Auschwitz lookin' sunavabich that the media tries to push as the norm then hell yeah we should accept those big, round Hendricks asses
BUT
if we are talking about making it okay to be outright obese and we've all to somehow be okay with sitting next to something that we'd normal call the Norwegians to deal with on a 7 hour flight then hell no.



Caveat: I used to be fat myself.
785 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Kansas
Offline
Posted 8/12/16
I was taught not to say hurtful things toward others we don't know their situation think about it!
Posted 8/12/16

MacMeaties wrote:

Caveat: I used to be fat myself.


I came here to laugh at your username and then I read the following in your post and I'm like oh.
10587 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 8/12/16
i'd venture a guess that most cases of obesity / overweight is a result of prolonged bad eating habits (eating too much and/or eating unhealthy food) and lack of physical exercise. genetics may be a factor, but let's not use it as an excuse >.>

fat, especially abdominal fat, should be seen as a serious health risk. agreed with @BlueOni
8488 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 8/12/16 , edited 8/12/16
As someone who is morbidly obese and had several strokes before 18, I applaud this movement.



Edit: Who's reporting those posts?
25020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Northern Ireland
Online
Posted 8/12/16

Hrafna wrote:I came here to laugh at your username and then I read the following in your post and I'm like oh.


lol yeah it used to be an accurate description but now is more an allusion to my preference for a Galko-chan or Sonico over yer standard anime female Fat, no. Bit of something to cuddle? Sign me up!
15742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 8/12/16
I think the real question is. At what age is it appropriate to be fat?

I know many who were in military and have long since retired. But back in their 20's they were ridiculously fit body wise and had enough endurance to and run miles.

8488 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 8/12/16

descloud wrote:

I think the real question is. At what age is it appropriate to be fat?

I know many who were in military and have long since retired. But back in their 20's they were ridiculously fit body wise and had enough endurance to and run miles.



I think when you stop being attractive. So approximately 40-60.
8488 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 8/12/16

descloud wrote:

I think the real question is. At what age is it appropriate to be fat?

I know many who were in military and have long since retired. But back in their 20's they were ridiculously fit body wise and had enough endurance to and run miles.



I think when you stop being attractive. So approximately 40-60.
41641 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/12/16 , edited 8/12/16
someone reported this, really?
what, can't handle hearing the truth?

fat acceptance is pointless, I don't really care that much what one's body looks like personally, but people should not try and justify being the size of a landwhale and claim it as being healthy, whilst simultaneously putting down fit or skinnier people in attempt to compensate for their own lousy self esteem.

i'm a 'skinnyfat' girl who had an eating disorder at one point in my life, they have the audacity to put anorexic and bulimic women down in addition to naturally thinner women, who are literally suffering from a mental disorder that warps their self-perception. if that's not scummy, i don't know what is. hell, for some of these 'proudly fat' women, they themselves may be a sufferer of an overeating disorder, even, coupled with an equally warped form of perception as to what's healthy and what isn't. it's sadly hypocritical and ironic.
16735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 8/12/16
Don't accept fat! Fight against it and help people help themselves!

17179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 8/12/16

animegirl2222 wrote:

someone reported this, really?
what, can't handle hearing the truth?

fat acceptance is pointless, I don't really care that much what one's body looks like personally, but people should not try and justify being the size of a landwhale and claim it as being healthy, whilst simultaneously putting down fit or skinnier people in attempt to compensate for their own lousy self esteem.

i'm a 'skinnyfat' girl who had an eating disorder at one point in my life, they have the audacity to put anorexic and bulimic women down in addition to naturally thinner women, who are literally suffering from a mental disorder that warps their self-perception. if that's not scummy, i don't know what is. hell, for some of these 'proudly fat' women, they themselves may be a sufferer of an overeating disorder, even, coupled with an equally warped form of perception as to what's healthy and what isn't. it's sadly hypocritical and ironic.
Putting down anorexic and bulimic women is exactly the opposite of what the fat acceptance movement is about because it assume that fat people can't be anorexic or bulimic...hypocritical and ironic in many ways.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.