First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Favorite slice of life in recent years?
25020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Northern Ireland
Offline
Posted 8/15/16 , edited 8/15/16
Tamayura. #1 All day, everyday. Criminally underrated show outside Japan.

Synopsis:

A very heartfelt, healing anime that has had me on the brink of happy crying more than anything else I've ever watched. Adore it.
Unfortunately you'll have to go to the darkside to find it.

After that is a toss up between, Is the Order a Rabbit?, Barakamon, Hanasaku Iroha, Shirbako, Koufuku Graffiti and most recently Flying Witch.

SoL is my mainstay so I have a lot of favourites XD
8132 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey
Online
Posted 8/15/16
There are too many recent SoL anime that I love. It is one of my favorite genres.

I honestly cannot choose between Is The Order A Rabbit?, Kin Iro Mosaic, Non Non Biyori, and Yuru Yuri. I also really love Gakkou Gurashi and Anne Happy.
10809 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Auburn, Washington
Offline
Posted 8/15/16
Fairy Tale is SoL?

I'm confused. My understanding has always been that SoL involves ordinary people living ordinary lives in contemporary society. If you move it to another world, give it an alternate history, or add new technology and special powers... it stops being SoL.

So because Fairy Tale is happening in a fantasy world, it's automatically some variety of fantasy, and can't be SoL anymore. I can see some stuff being kind of borderline because the entire plot is to add just one odd element to reality (e.g. Flying Witch, where the girl is a witch, or ReLife where the MC has taken a pill to make him a high school student again), but that element still basically redefines the genre.

What am I missing?
1495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Venezuela
Offline
Posted 8/15/16

jaykirbydudee wrote:

I can't possibly choose just one. But to prevent this post from being a never-ending paragraph of text I shall close my eyes and choose one.

MY love STORY!!. I approve of this.
¨



3057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The 2D World
Offline
Posted 8/15/16
167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 8/15/16

cdarklock wrote:What am I missing?


The OP is looking to take a break from the action-oriented Fairy Tail, so wants something simple and light.
17735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M /
Offline
Posted 8/15/16

cdarklock wrote:
What am I missing?


That everybody's perceptions and reality are different.
10809 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Auburn, Washington
Offline
Posted 8/15/16

Gafennec wrote:
That everybody's perceptions and reality are different.


But words have to mean things, or you might order a pizza and get a dishwasher. This semantic relativism bullshit has got to stop.

If asking for a good SoL anime DOESN'T mean what I think it means, then I kind of need to know what it means. Otherwise I can't ask OR answer the question, which means not only can I not get help, but I can't help anyone else either.

I understand that you don't give a shit whether I can get help, but you probably ought to give a shit whether I can help someone else, because you never know when that someone else might be YOU.
17735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M /
Offline
Posted 8/16/16

cdarklock wrote:


Gafennec wrote:
That everybody's perceptions and reality are different.


But words have to mean things, or you might order a pizza and get a dishwasher. This semantic relativism bullshit has got to stop.

If asking for a good SoL anime DOESN'T mean what I think it means, then I kind of need to know what it means. Otherwise I can't ask OR answer the question, which means not only can I not get help, but I can't help anyone else either.

I understand that you don't give a shit whether I can get help, but you probably ought to give a shit whether I can help someone else, because you never know when that someone else might be YOU.


Whoa dude back up. First I made you angry and I sincerely apologize for that. It was NOT EVER my intention. The smiley face was me laughing at myself for going deeply philosophical and nothing more. To me you were already on the mark nearly 100% in your original comments and the post before mine cleared up the misunderstanding. I wrote what I thought was a simple truth that since nobody has the exact same life experiences no two people will perceive the same phenomenon in exactly the same way. We will agree for the most part, but it is influenced by past experiences and knowledge. Honestly I did care that you got help, but I didn't think you need very much and the post before mine cleared it up. Again I am very sorry I made you angry and I wsh to assure you that it was not my intention. I just picked a bad time to go philosophical. Gomen nasai.
5809 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/16/16
Silver Spoon and Sound! Euphonium are in my all time top 10. Barakamon and Non-Non Biyori you also can't go wrong with.

I'm currently on episode 5 of Bakuon and loving it. If you want something that you can shut your brain off and laugh then watch it. Its the KonoSuba of SoL's with a healthy dose of Gintama level good natured trolling.
10809 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Auburn, Washington
Offline
Posted 8/16/16

Gafennec wrote:

Whoa dude back up. First I made you angry and I sincerely apologize for that. It was NOT EVER my intention.


Whoa! Not angry. Seriously, not at all. Like, hardly anything makes me angry. That post is way more whinging than screaming. ;)

It's just, you know... if we can't rely on concepts being the same from one person to the next, then we can't communicate. If we don't have some reliable idea of what terms like "shounen" and "shoujou" mean, then we have to clique together into little insular groups hiding in forts made out of shibboleths.

Maybe I'm the one being inappropriately philoosphical.
747 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 8/16/16
If you haven't seen it already I recommend the first season of Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru A.K.A My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU A.K.A Oregairu. Unfortunately S1 disappeared from Crunchyroll while S2 is still available oddly enough. Its a HS SoL with a ton of substance, some comedy, some feels, and a great cast of characters.

Other ones that standout would be Nozaki-kun and Ore Monogatari (My Love Story!!!) which are both available on here. I'm not the biggest fan of SoL anime (since most of it is your run of the mill cute girls doing cute things) but these 3 and Silver Spoon were too good for me to miss in my opinion and it was well worth it.
17735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M /
Offline
Posted 8/19/16

cdarklock wrote:


Gafennec wrote:

Whoa dude back up. First I made you angry and I sincerely apologize for that. It was NOT EVER my intention.


Whoa! Not angry. Seriously, not at all. Like, hardly anything makes me angry. That post is way more whinging than screaming. ;)

It's just, you know... if we can't rely on concepts being the same from one person to the next, then we can't communicate. If we don't have some reliable idea of what terms like "shounen" and "shoujou" mean, then we have to clique together into little insular groups hiding in forts made out of shibboleths.

Maybe I'm the one being inappropriately philoosphical. :P


I am so sorry! I meant to reply to this a lot earlier and things at the LTC I live in got hectic. From my side we're cool. And for most things I think we can agree that a lot of terms are readily and easily defined by most. I do remember the first time I cam across Imouto in a thread of 'Best Imouto Contest'. I had never heard of it before. (I still think Komachi Hikigaya was best imouto.) But again I think that a large percentage of CR users were well aware of what it meant. Now that I am broken down and decrepit I find I prefer the term Imouto since it is easier to type. Again we're cool and I do apologize for being tardy with this reply.
10809 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Auburn, Washington
Offline
Posted 8/21/16

Gafennec wrote:

I am so sorry! I meant to reply to this a lot earlier and things at the LTC I live in got hectic.


Life happens.


From my side we're cool. And for most things I think we can agree that a lot of terms are readily and easily defined by most.


Not really. I mean, imouto literally means "little sister," but the Japanese culture seems to regard all kinds of people as sisters and brothers whether they are in the same family or not. It's like a damn blaxploitation film over there, and I can only assume that white people don't actually understand it as well as we think.
15746 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Virginia USA
Online
Posted 8/21/16 , edited 8/21/16
It's really tough for me to choose. I only got really into SoL over the past maybe two years.

I think overall quality of the show, to emotional investment I would give an edge to The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. But I also love Toradora. Sansha Sanyou from this past Spring season was a lot of fun. Oh and I am in I think a very lonely boat, but WataMote is awesome too. Oh and Anne-Happy was my show of the season when it aired.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.