First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply The reason you don't belong in a story
598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / The Ivory Tower
Offline
Posted 8/19/16
Okay, fine, so maybe I identify with Yui too much. But you're wrong: White Album 2 is about developing and breaking a single relationship (and is the "what if you love someone but that person is already taken" story). Sure, every moment of the series isn't directly about that, but that's the whole premise - and it's not "padded" at all.

And while characters in a slice-of-life series can be kind of exaggerated, the traits being exaggerated are completely real. I was amused at just how similar Yui's airheadedness was to my own. And real people can be a lot weirder.
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 8/19/16 , edited 8/19/16

sundin13 wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:


sundin13 wrote:

I think what you are doing is looking at things from an outsiders perspective (with information that the characters don't have, of course different decisions would be made). You are saying "I wouldn't make that decision, therefore the characters wouldn't make that decision". I think you are also underestimating the unusualness of normality...

Anyways, your examples were bad.


No. Subaru saw Puck in that form.


I already said I have no idea what you are talking about there.

Again, while what you said might be true for some shows, it is far from universal. What you are talking about it a symptom of bad writing, not something universal to all writing (or all shows).


It's not a symptom of bad writing. Characters and situations must exhibit elements that put them out of the range of the ordinary, which is how a story is made. Otherwise, no story. I loved Haikyuu, so I'm willing to sit through some occasional episode-making, episode-lengthening stuff like the drama Kageyama had when he was working on that new pass of his just before the spring regionals.


auroraloose wrote:

Okay, fine, so maybe I identify with Yui too much. But you're wrong: White Album 2 is about developing and breaking a single relationship (and is the "what if you love someone but that person is already taken" story). Sure, every moment of the series isn't directly about that, but that's the whole premise - and it's not "padded" at all.

And while characters in a slice-of-life series can be kind of exaggerated, the traits being exaggerated are completely real. I was amused at just how similar Yui's airheadedness was to my own. And real people can be a lot weirder.


Yes, they're exaggerated, they have to be. Otherwise it's a bore. Real people can be weirder but certainly not in a consistently plot-thickening, plot-helping, plot-amusing way.
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 8/19/16 , edited 8/19/16

nanikore2 wrote:
It's not a symptom of bad writing. Characters and situations must exhibit elements that put them out of the range of the ordinary, which is how a story is made. Otherwise, no story. I loved Haikyuu, so I'm willing to sit through some occasional episode-making, episode-lengthening stuff like the drama Kageyama had when he was working on that new pass of his just before the spring regionals.plot-thickening, plot-helping, plot-amusing way.


Okay, lets talk Haikyuu. How is what Kageyama did in any way, "strange" or "bad" decisions? They make 100% logical sense out of the development of Kageyama's character? Why is that not a rational decision? In fact, why is that not a decision a "rational person" would make? That decision is very rational: "With my current skill-set, we cannot win the championship, therefore I must improve my skillset." 100% rational.

Haikyuu is a great example of conflict not being born out of poor decisions but instead conflict coming from rational decisions.

Maybe the problem is just that you are a misanthrope and you underestimate "normal people" outside of fiction.

You know, this whole thread is invalidated by how many interesting Documentaries there are. Humans are fucking cool, man. Sure, some of them suck, but damn I've seen some good documentaries and those were full of just regular people caught up in the story.
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 8/19/16 , edited 8/19/16

sundin13 wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:
It's not a symptom of bad writing. Characters and situations must exhibit elements that put them out of the range of the ordinary, which is how a story is made. Otherwise, no story. I loved Haikyuu, so I'm willing to sit through some occasional episode-making, episode-lengthening stuff like the drama Kageyama had when he was working on that new pass of his just before the spring regionals.plot-thickening, plot-helping, plot-amusing way.


Okay, lets talk Haikyuu. How is what Kageyama did in any way, "strange" or "bad" decisions? They make 100% logical sense out of the development of Kageyama's character? Why is that not a rational decision? In fact, why is that not a decision a "rational person" would make? That decision is very rational: "With my current skill-set, we cannot win the championship, therefore I must improve my skillset." 100% rational.



It's not what he did, it's his fit. How is a fit a "decision"?

...and what's with attacking me by calling me a misanthrope, which is a nonsensical attack anyways? You know how to argue without attacking people, right? A normal person wouldn't have the drama-making fit that spans multiple episodes. It's a device to build the drama. Back to my point- Normal people, non-story. I'd be a misanthrope if I make out people to be drama kings and queens.
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 8/20/16

nanikore2 wrote:


sundin13 wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:
It's not a symptom of bad writing. Characters and situations must exhibit elements that put them out of the range of the ordinary, which is how a story is made. Otherwise, no story. I loved Haikyuu, so I'm willing to sit through some occasional episode-making, episode-lengthening stuff like the drama Kageyama had when he was working on that new pass of his just before the spring regionals.plot-thickening, plot-helping, plot-amusing way.


Okay, lets talk Haikyuu. How is what Kageyama did in any way, "strange" or "bad" decisions? They make 100% logical sense out of the development of Kageyama's character? Why is that not a rational decision? In fact, why is that not a decision a "rational person" would make? That decision is very rational: "With my current skill-set, we cannot win the championship, therefore I must improve my skillset." 100% rational.



It's not what he did, it's his fit. How is a fit a "decision"?

...and what's with attacking me by calling me a misanthrope, which is a nonsensical attack anyways? You know how to argue without attacking people, right? A normal person wouldn't have the drama-making fit that spans multiple episodes. It's a device to build the drama. Back to my point- Normal people, non-story. I'd be a misanthrope if I make out people to be drama kings and queens.


He doesn't really throw a fit. I don't think that is anything close to an apt descriptor of what happens. He gets in a fight and then he works really hard at improving himself. If you don't think someone outside of a show would exhibit that type of behavior I can only assume that you've never been on a sports team (or anything similar), because that is far from atypical (and even if he did throw a fit, that isn't exactly unheard of outside of the realm of fiction).

As for calling you a misanthrope, I don't think it is an attack and I don't think it is an insult. I think that it would explain your issue here. You believe that "normal" people are boring so when you see someone who isn't boring you think "well that isn't realistic" even if it is.

Let me ask you this: What is a "normal person" to you?
11415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 8/20/16

Gray45 wrote:

"...And then he masturbated" Would be a far too frequent line to be entertaining.


Whoo, I bet the funeral episode sure gets weird.
51189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 8/20/16 , edited 8/20/16
"I’m not the protagonist of a novel or anything. I’m just a college student who likes to read, like you could find anywhere. But... If, for argument’s sake, you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be a tragedy."

- Kaneki Ken

Even characters who try to be rational and want to live normal lives can be miserable due to fate.
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 8/20/16 , edited 8/20/16

sundin13 wrote:

He doesn't really throw a fit. I don't think that is anything close to an apt descriptor of what happens. He gets in a fight and then he works really hard at improving himself. If you don't think someone outside of a show would exhibit that type of behavior I can only assume that you've never been on a sports team (or anything similar), because that is far from atypical (and even if he did throw a fit, that isn't exactly unheard of outside of the realm of fiction).

As for calling you a misanthrope, I don't think it is an attack and I don't think it is an insult. I think that it would explain your issue here. You believe that "normal" people are boring so when you see someone who isn't boring you think "well that isn't realistic" even if it is.

Let me ask you this: What is a "normal person" to you?


Oh really? You don't call yanking at someone's throat n' collar, yelling at the top of the lungs and throwing fists at someone's face throwing a fit? That's quite a beating he laid on Hinata, and no- I haven't seen that kind of beating between teammates during a high school practice, how nice of you to assume otherwise.

Kageyama worked on that new toss only AFTER the coach talked with him about stopping the ball.

However, it's good for a few episodes of drama.

Misanthrope? You don't get it do you. The characters in the stories are overblown and would be extremely difficult to deal with in real life, they're good for stories. Heck, some anime girls are great in stories but unimaginable in real life including my favorite Nico. I would only be a "misanthrope" if "misanthropy" apply to fictional characters


PhantomGundam wrote:

"I’m not the protagonist of a novel or anything. I’m just a college student who likes to read, like you could find anywhere. But... If, for argument’s sake, you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be a tragedy."

- Kaneki Ken

Even characters who try to be rational and want to live normal lives can be miserable due to fate.


Seemingly "average" or supposedly "average" characters are hardly that. Take Subaru... You don't see a sudden ego growth of 5000% he suddenly pulled when he was facing that knight (forcing the knight to kind of protect him by challenging Subaru)... but it's thanks to his ego explosion that we got a whole episode of cringeworthy material. Some average Joe Boy probably just say "okay" and don't push the issue to the moon.
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 8/20/16

nanikore2 wrote:

Oh really? You don't call yanking at someone's throat n' collar, yelling at the top of the lungs and throwing fists at someone's face throwing a fit? That's quite a beating he laid on Hinata, and no- I haven't seen that kind of beating between teammates during a high school practice, how nice of you to assume otherwise.

Kageyama worked on that new toss only AFTER the coach talked with him about stopping the ball.

However, it's good for a few episodes of drama.

Misanthrope? You don't get it do you. The characters in the stories are overblown and would be extremely difficult to deal with in real life, they're good for stories. Heck, some anime girls are great in stories but unimaginable in real life including my favorite Nico. I would only be a "misanthrope" if "misanthropy" apply to fictional characters


No, I would call it a fight (which is exactly what I called it), which lasted a short amount of time. It wasn't a multiple episode long "fit". It happens in real life too, especially with the pressure that they are under. There was nothing in that scene which would be impossible or even exceedingly unlikely to happen in real life. Drama happens in real life too.

Not sure why you mentioned that the coach talked to him though.

And finally, while what you are saying is true of some characters, its not true of all of them. There are plenty of characters who would be fine to be around in real life, and plenty of characters who are quite similar to people I know in real life. There are plenty of people in real life who, under the right circumstances, could fit quite well into a story. I repeat, people aren't as boring as you seem to think they are.

And I repeat again, what is your definition of a "normal person"?
254 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 8/20/16

BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:


Gray45 wrote:

"...And then he masturbated" Would be a far too frequent line to be entertaining.


Whoo, I bet the funeral episode sure gets weird.


Yeah, well, Uncle Phil always was a handsy guy. even after his passing we couldn't help but rub one out for old times sake. I just hated I was the one who had to guide his lifeless hand.
Posted 8/20/16
Because I'm boring.
11415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 8/20/16

Gray45 wrote:


BLACKOUTMK2 wrote:


Gray45 wrote:

"...And then he masturbated" Would be a far too frequent line to be entertaining.


Whoo, I bet the funeral episode sure gets weird.


Yeah, well, Uncle Phil always was a handsy guy. even after his passing we couldn't help but rub one out for old times sake. I just hated I was the one who had to guide his lifeless hand.


Dicks out for Uncle Phil.
1227 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / ya mum's house
Offline
Posted 8/20/16
I'd be too vocal about my opinions. Anytime anyone says something or does something stupid in the story, I am calling them out for it. Also, there would be a really high body count
18054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 8/20/16
More like TOO PUSSY to commit.
Sogno- 
45650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/20/16
well i have to admit i'm ok with that i wouldn't give up my common sense for fame. i love poking fun of the nutty folk
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.