First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply casual music fans vs true music fans
1229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / ya mum's house
Offline
Posted 8/17/16
How many people do you know that only seem to know songs off of the billboard top 100? how many people could you guess that have never listened to a group like the beatles, pink Floyd, zeppelin, or insert band name here, but claim to love music as a whole? These people could easily be described as casual music fans based off of this, but does this label have merit? Can one truly love music if your exposure and taste is so focused and closed off? Can one be a true music fan if they write off an entire genre of music or judge groups or artists prematurely? Is there anything that qualifies one as a music lover or enthusiast? Is there such a thing as a casual music fan or does liking just certain songs or certain bands still make you a music fan?

I once heard from a youtube channel called "a dose of buckley" the statement that a true music fan should be one that is receptive and can enjoy all types of music instead of writing off another genre or type of music as garbage or "non-music"

So, list your thoughts below. Discuss what you think it means to be a music lover or just a casual fan. List your opinion on the statement above me and whether or not you agree with this statement. List down below if you think you are a true music fan or you are a casual listener who enjoys listening to certain sects of music rather than every genre. Also, take the chance to list some groups that you like or the variety of genres that you are a fan of.
Posted 8/17/16 , edited 8/17/16
Hmm in all honesty not many actually I do know a few people that listen to many types of music actually including myself. I'll listen to pretty much anything.

For the second question no idea in all honesty and I have listened to some of those bands you mentioned lol the Beatles have good music and wish I owned one of their cds in all honesty but don't know many other people though who do.

Then third question hmm no not really in my opinion I mean if they listen to music no matter what 24/7 or whenever they can then I really don't see them as a casual actually see them as a music fan. Now if you listen rarely or only sometimes then well yeah in my opinion. Me I listen to music whenever I can and well 24/7 and it's well basically my life lol.

Yep you can be if you love a single genre of music thats fine by me as well just shows your a music fan and truly love that type of music.

This one well no idea I believe artist and genre deserves a chance and if you have at least tried to listen to that artist and genre then well see nothing wrong and see you as a true music fan. I mean if your not willing to listen and give it a try then well no.

Then based off of what I have said need to listen to music on a regular basis and at least be willing to listen and try new things before saying nah.

So I at least believe if you do the 2 things I mentioned even though you listen to the same genre and artist over and over again then yes.
136460 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/17/16
There's no point in trying to deconstruct everything, just enjoy what you like and be happy.
Posted 8/17/16

kufirst wrote:

There's no point in trying to deconstruct everything, just enjoy what you like and be happy.


^ This pretty much
3175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 8/17/16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9sRyBMjtjo

I think this is the video that electricdoomfire is talking about.

Pretty much summed up. If you only specifically listen to a genre or sub genre. Then you cant really call yourself a "music fan" where as if you have your main favorite but will pretty much listen to anything then you're the "true music fan"
991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Miami/Hawaii
Offline
Posted 8/17/16 , edited 8/17/16
I was lucky enough to meet someone today whom is into music with lots of depth and complexity. Anyhow,
all music is 'true music' as far as we can all be concerned, I think the best way to rephrase such is more so in the lines of "Casual music listeners." vs "Avid music listeners."

However, there are more intricate styles of music. Such as how the musical complexity of a pop song written in 4/4 isn't well compared to a jazz/neosoul fusion song with Polyrhythms and Polymeters with eighth notes and all sorts of crazy time signatures (6/8, 9/8, etc, pardon if my music theory jargon is incomprehensible) Also, note that this is if we're speaking in complexity of the music itself and it's arrangements.

Note: Just because something is more rhythmically or melodically complex doesn't necessarily make it better, or worse either, after all that's the beauty of music! Sometimes the simpler things are what one can enjoy.

If that's what we are referring to? Then i'm all for nerding out on some music with crazy theory involved.
497 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 8/19/16
I'm just going to leave it like this: this whole "casual vs. true" music fans conflict is bullshit in regards to the condescending nature of it, labelling one group (the casual in this case) being inferior to another (the "true" one). Yes, one who usually listens to one song from one artist (or sometimes genre) can be just as much of a music fan than one whose taste is so broad that it reaches the end of the rainbow. It really comes in when it's in regards to how much you listen to music in a day. I usually listen to music 24/7 all the time, whether it be through the internet or a CD, etc. Not everyone falls in this category, however, and that's fine. We just need to encourage more of the casual listeners to expand their catalogue and find more good music to put in their library, and maybe get them in the world of the album!

Also, nice to know you like ADoseofBuckley as well. I wouldn't necessarily call him a Youtuber, though, and more of using the platform to get his name out (his words, not mine, XD).
9787 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 8/19/16
I disagree with the addressed opinions.

Near as I can tell, no one is a special snowflake for listening to less "casual" music, and vice-versa. I see nothing wrong with people having music preferences, and I generally feel contempt for exercises in blatant narcissism. Also, something in particular stuck me as interesting, and I choose to flip it on its head with this; "if someone intentionally snubs casual music, can it really be said that the person is a music fan?"
497 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 8/19/16

aeb0717 wrote:

I disagree with the addressed opinions.

Near as I can tell, no one is a special snowflake for listening to less "casual" music, and vice-versa. I see nothing wrong with people having music preferences, and I generally feel contempt for exercises in blatant narcissism. Also, something in particular stuck me as interesting, and I choose to flip it on its head with this; "if someone intentionally snubs casual music, can it really be said that the person is a music fan?"


Wow, you stated WAY much better than I ever did. I totally have to agree with you there.
1229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / ya mum's house
Offline
Posted 8/19/16

ThatGuyDaniel wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9sRyBMjtjo

I think this is the video that electricdoomfire is talking about.

Pretty much summed up. If you only specifically listen to a genre or sub genre. Then you cant really call yourself a "music fan" where as if you have your main favorite but will pretty much listen to anything then you're the "true music fan"


Thanks, I guess I should have listed the link if anybody might have been interested in watching the video. I think that video inspired this forum topic for me
1229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / ya mum's house
Offline
Posted 8/19/16

aeb0717 wrote:

I disagree with the addressed opinions.

Near as I can tell, no one is a special snowflake for listening to less "casual" music, and vice-versa. I see nothing wrong with people having music preferences, and I generally feel contempt for exercises in blatant narcissism. Also, something in particular stuck me as interesting, and I choose to flip it on its head with this; "if someone intentionally snubs casual music, can it really be said that the person is a music fan?"


Interesting, I hope you understand that this wasn't my opinion that I was pushing but I was using some general question to gain some broader perspective on this matter. It mainly comes from a dose of buckley's video I would say and what the difference is between someone who doesn't necessarily listen to music as a hobby. I actually had a friend who didn't care about music at all. He didn't even really listen to music either. I also started thinking about people who claim to like music but refuse to listen to something because it is "old" or because their parents liked it. I think that is why I brought up bands like the beatles and the rolling stones as an example of past bands.

And I like the question you proposed, it is something that really is a legitimate question because of some eliticism among the music community sometimes. A good song that parodies this kind of thinking is LCD soundsystem's losing my edge where it talks about a hipster claiming he was the first to do everything such as seeing the first can show in cologne or something.

Here is also an interesting question to consider, imagine hearing the worst song you have ever heard, it makes your ears bleed, it gives you nightmares, it makes you fear for your mental sanity, would you not be a true music fan if you claimed that that song was garbage?
1229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / ya mum's house
Offline
Posted 8/19/16

Progrockdude wrote:

I'm just going to leave it like this: this whole "casual vs. true" music fans conflict is bullshit in regards to the condescending nature of it, labelling one group (the casual in this case) being inferior to another (the "true" one). Yes, one who usually listens to one song from one artist (or sometimes genre) can be just as much of a music fan than one whose taste is so broad that it reaches the end of the rainbow. It really comes in when it's in regards to how much you listen to music in a day. I usually listen to music 24/7 all the time, whether it be through the internet or a CD, etc. Not everyone falls in this category, however, and that's fine. We just need to encourage more of the casual listeners to expand their catalogue and find more good music to put in their library, and maybe get them in the world of the album!

Also, nice to know you like ADoseofBuckley as well. I wouldn't necessarily call him a Youtuber, though, and more of using the platform to get his name out (his words, not mine, XD).


One thing that gets on my nerves about some people is that some people refuse to listen to certain kinds of music because it is "old" or something. I guess that is why I mentioned groups like the beatles, pink Floyd, rolling stone, etc. you can still be a fan by not listening to them, but refusing to listen to something based off a criteria as frivolous as the decade it was written in seems absurd to me.
3473 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / The Mothership
Offline
Posted 8/19/16 , edited 8/19/16

electricdoomfire wrote:


Progrockdude wrote:

I'm just going to leave it like this: this whole "casual vs. true" music fans conflict is bullshit in regards to the condescending nature of it, labelling one group (the casual in this case) being inferior to another (the "true" one). Yes, one who usually listens to one song from one artist (or sometimes genre) can be just as much of a music fan than one whose taste is so broad that it reaches the end of the rainbow. It really comes in when it's in regards to how much you listen to music in a day. I usually listen to music 24/7 all the time, whether it be through the internet or a CD, etc. Not everyone falls in this category, however, and that's fine. We just need to encourage more of the casual listeners to expand their catalogue and find more good music to put in their library, and maybe get them in the world of the album!

Also, nice to know you like ADoseofBuckley as well. I wouldn't necessarily call him a Youtuber, though, and more of using the platform to get his name out (his words, not mine, XD).


One thing that gets on my nerves about some people is that some people refuse to listen to certain kinds of music because it is "old" or something. I guess that is why I mentioned groups like the beatles, pink Floyd, rolling stone, etc. you can still be a fan by not listening to them, but refusing to listen to something based off a criteria as frivolous as the decade it was written in seems absurd to me.


I agree with this of course as you know me as a big fan of a 70s powerhouse supergroup in Parliament-Funkadelic and you and I both know that good music transcends time and sounds just as fresh as the day it was recorded and prime examples are: Beatles, Rolling Stones, James Brown, War, AC/DC, and Parliament-Funkadelic.
497 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 8/19/16

electricdoomfire wrote:


Progrockdude wrote:

I'm just going to leave it like this: this whole "casual vs. true" music fans conflict is bullshit in regards to the condescending nature of it, labelling one group (the casual in this case) being inferior to another (the "true" one). Yes, one who usually listens to one song from one artist (or sometimes genre) can be just as much of a music fan than one whose taste is so broad that it reaches the end of the rainbow. It really comes in when it's in regards to how much you listen to music in a day. I usually listen to music 24/7 all the time, whether it be through the internet or a CD, etc. Not everyone falls in this category, however, and that's fine. We just need to encourage more of the casual listeners to expand their catalogue and find more good music to put in their library, and maybe get them in the world of the album!

Also, nice to know you like ADoseofBuckley as well. I wouldn't necessarily call him a Youtuber, though, and more of using the platform to get his name out (his words, not mine, XD).


One thing that gets on my nerves about some people is that some people refuse to listen to certain kinds of music because it is "old" or something. I guess that is why I mentioned groups like the beatles, pink Floyd, rolling stone, etc. you can still be a fan by not listening to them, but refusing to listen to something based off a criteria as frivolous as the decade it was written in seems absurd to me.


You can switch "old" with "new" and it be exactly the same, if you ask me. It's the "horseshoe theory" for music, I guess..
497 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 8/19/16

Markest1 wrote:


electricdoomfire wrote:


Progrockdude wrote:

I'm just going to leave it like this: this whole "casual vs. true" music fans conflict is bullshit in regards to the condescending nature of it, labelling one group (the casual in this case) being inferior to another (the "true" one). Yes, one who usually listens to one song from one artist (or sometimes genre) can be just as much of a music fan than one whose taste is so broad that it reaches the end of the rainbow. It really comes in when it's in regards to how much you listen to music in a day. I usually listen to music 24/7 all the time, whether it be through the internet or a CD, etc. Not everyone falls in this category, however, and that's fine. We just need to encourage more of the casual listeners to expand their catalogue and find more good music to put in their library, and maybe get them in the world of the album!

Also, nice to know you like ADoseofBuckley as well. I wouldn't necessarily call him a Youtuber, though, and more of using the platform to get his name out (his words, not mine, XD).


One thing that gets on my nerves about some people is that some people refuse to listen to certain kinds of music because it is "old" or something. I guess that is why I mentioned groups like the beatles, pink Floyd, rolling stone, etc. you can still be a fan by not listening to them, but refusing to listen to something based off a criteria as frivolous as the decade it was written in seems absurd to me.


I agree with this of course as you know me as a big fan of a 70s powerhouse supergroup in Parliament-Funkadelic and you and I both know that good music transcends time and sounds just as fresh as the day it was recorded and prime examples are: Beatles, Rolling Stones, James Brown, War, AC/DC, and Parliament-Funkadelic.


Yeah, I definitely have an interest in War and Parliament-Funkadelic, especially the latter. I'm susceptible to these "funky beats," and it sounds like the funk genre is made for me in some way (especially since I'm a drummer/percussionist after all).
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.