First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply casual music fans vs true music fans
3511 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / The Mothership
Offline
Posted 8/19/16

Progrockdude wrote:


Markest1 wrote:


electricdoomfire wrote:


Progrockdude wrote:

I'm just going to leave it like this: this whole "casual vs. true" music fans conflict is bullshit in regards to the condescending nature of it, labelling one group (the casual in this case) being inferior to another (the "true" one). Yes, one who usually listens to one song from one artist (or sometimes genre) can be just as much of a music fan than one whose taste is so broad that it reaches the end of the rainbow. It really comes in when it's in regards to how much you listen to music in a day. I usually listen to music 24/7 all the time, whether it be through the internet or a CD, etc. Not everyone falls in this category, however, and that's fine. We just need to encourage more of the casual listeners to expand their catalogue and find more good music to put in their library, and maybe get them in the world of the album!

Also, nice to know you like ADoseofBuckley as well. I wouldn't necessarily call him a Youtuber, though, and more of using the platform to get his name out (his words, not mine, XD).


One thing that gets on my nerves about some people is that some people refuse to listen to certain kinds of music because it is "old" or something. I guess that is why I mentioned groups like the beatles, pink Floyd, rolling stone, etc. you can still be a fan by not listening to them, but refusing to listen to something based off a criteria as frivolous as the decade it was written in seems absurd to me.


I agree with this of course as you know me as a big fan of a 70s powerhouse supergroup in Parliament-Funkadelic and you and I both know that good music transcends time and sounds just as fresh as the day it was recorded and prime examples are: Beatles, Rolling Stones, James Brown, War, AC/DC, and Parliament-Funkadelic.


Yeah, I definitely have an interest in War and Parliament-Funkadelic, especially the latter. I'm susceptible to these "funky beats," and it sounds like the funk genre is made for me in some way (especially since I'm a drummer/percussionist after all).


It's all about the one and it's always nice to see another fan and we're alike in the fact that you're a hardcore Prog Rock fan and I'm a hardcore Funk fan.
512 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 8/19/16

Markest1 wrote:


Progrockdude wrote:


Markest1 wrote:


electricdoomfire wrote:


Progrockdude wrote:

I'm just going to leave it like this: this whole "casual vs. true" music fans conflict is bullshit in regards to the condescending nature of it, labelling one group (the casual in this case) being inferior to another (the "true" one). Yes, one who usually listens to one song from one artist (or sometimes genre) can be just as much of a music fan than one whose taste is so broad that it reaches the end of the rainbow. It really comes in when it's in regards to how much you listen to music in a day. I usually listen to music 24/7 all the time, whether it be through the internet or a CD, etc. Not everyone falls in this category, however, and that's fine. We just need to encourage more of the casual listeners to expand their catalogue and find more good music to put in their library, and maybe get them in the world of the album!

Also, nice to know you like ADoseofBuckley as well. I wouldn't necessarily call him a Youtuber, though, and more of using the platform to get his name out (his words, not mine, XD).


One thing that gets on my nerves about some people is that some people refuse to listen to certain kinds of music because it is "old" or something. I guess that is why I mentioned groups like the beatles, pink Floyd, rolling stone, etc. you can still be a fan by not listening to them, but refusing to listen to something based off a criteria as frivolous as the decade it was written in seems absurd to me.


I agree with this of course as you know me as a big fan of a 70s powerhouse supergroup in Parliament-Funkadelic and you and I both know that good music transcends time and sounds just as fresh as the day it was recorded and prime examples are: Beatles, Rolling Stones, James Brown, War, AC/DC, and Parliament-Funkadelic.


Yeah, I definitely have an interest in War and Parliament-Funkadelic, especially the latter. I'm susceptible to these "funky beats," and it sounds like the funk genre is made for me in some way (especially since I'm a drummer/percussionist after all).


It's all about the one and it's always nice to see another fan and we're alike in the fact that you're a hardcore Prog Rock fan and I'm a hardcore Funk fan.


3511 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / The Mothership
Offline
Posted 8/19/16

Progrockdude wrote:


Markest1 wrote:


Progrockdude wrote:


Markest1 wrote:


electricdoomfire wrote:


Progrockdude wrote:

I'm just going to leave it like this: this whole "casual vs. true" music fans conflict is bullshit in regards to the condescending nature of it, labelling one group (the casual in this case) being inferior to another (the "true" one). Yes, one who usually listens to one song from one artist (or sometimes genre) can be just as much of a music fan than one whose taste is so broad that it reaches the end of the rainbow. It really comes in when it's in regards to how much you listen to music in a day. I usually listen to music 24/7 all the time, whether it be through the internet or a CD, etc. Not everyone falls in this category, however, and that's fine. We just need to encourage more of the casual listeners to expand their catalogue and find more good music to put in their library, and maybe get them in the world of the album!

Also, nice to know you like ADoseofBuckley as well. I wouldn't necessarily call him a Youtuber, though, and more of using the platform to get his name out (his words, not mine, XD).


One thing that gets on my nerves about some people is that some people refuse to listen to certain kinds of music because it is "old" or something. I guess that is why I mentioned groups like the beatles, pink Floyd, rolling stone, etc. you can still be a fan by not listening to them, but refusing to listen to something based off a criteria as frivolous as the decade it was written in seems absurd to me.


I agree with this of course as you know me as a big fan of a 70s powerhouse supergroup in Parliament-Funkadelic and you and I both know that good music transcends time and sounds just as fresh as the day it was recorded and prime examples are: Beatles, Rolling Stones, James Brown, War, AC/DC, and Parliament-Funkadelic.


Yeah, I definitely have an interest in War and Parliament-Funkadelic, especially the latter. I'm susceptible to these "funky beats," and it sounds like the funk genre is made for me in some way (especially since I'm a drummer/percussionist after all).


It's all about the one and it's always nice to see another fan and we're alike in the fact that you're a hardcore Prog Rock fan and I'm a hardcore Funk fan.




Thanks right back at ya' and hey check out the drums on this joint and tell me what you think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvZAt7VnJls
1290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / ya mum's house
Offline
Posted 8/19/16

Markest1 wrote:


electricdoomfire wrote:


Progrockdude wrote:

I'm just going to leave it like this: this whole "casual vs. true" music fans conflict is bullshit in regards to the condescending nature of it, labelling one group (the casual in this case) being inferior to another (the "true" one). Yes, one who usually listens to one song from one artist (or sometimes genre) can be just as much of a music fan than one whose taste is so broad that it reaches the end of the rainbow. It really comes in when it's in regards to how much you listen to music in a day. I usually listen to music 24/7 all the time, whether it be through the internet or a CD, etc. Not everyone falls in this category, however, and that's fine. We just need to encourage more of the casual listeners to expand their catalogue and find more good music to put in their library, and maybe get them in the world of the album!

Also, nice to know you like ADoseofBuckley as well. I wouldn't necessarily call him a Youtuber, though, and more of using the platform to get his name out (his words, not mine, XD).


One thing that gets on my nerves about some people is that some people refuse to listen to certain kinds of music because it is "old" or something. I guess that is why I mentioned groups like the beatles, pink Floyd, rolling stone, etc. you can still be a fan by not listening to them, but refusing to listen to something based off a criteria as frivolous as the decade it was written in seems absurd to me.


I agree with this of course as you know me as a big fan of a 70s powerhouse supergroup in Parliament-Funkadelic and you and I both know that good music transcends time and sounds just as fresh as the day it was recorded and prime examples are: Beatles, Rolling Stones, James Brown, War, AC/DC, and Parliament-Funkadelic.


I don't know about the examples you provided. Certain albums of the beatles and rolling stones definitely show their age. I mean albums like the stone's sticky fingers and exhile on main street are still masterpieces as well as revolver and abby road. However, some of the stones late 70s to early 80s albums show some real decline and sgt pepper has some iffy moments. AC/DC, although their stuff sounds good, honestly kept making the same kind of album after back in black. All of them do have their classic moments though. James brown will always be one of the greatest performers in music history and war and parliament will always be known for their innovation and classic hits.
1290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / ya mum's house
Offline
Posted 8/19/16

Markest1 wrote:


Progrockdude wrote:


Markest1 wrote:


electricdoomfire wrote:


Progrockdude wrote:

I'm just going to leave it like this: this whole "casual vs. true" music fans conflict is bullshit in regards to the condescending nature of it, labelling one group (the casual in this case) being inferior to another (the "true" one). Yes, one who usually listens to one song from one artist (or sometimes genre) can be just as much of a music fan than one whose taste is so broad that it reaches the end of the rainbow. It really comes in when it's in regards to how much you listen to music in a day. I usually listen to music 24/7 all the time, whether it be through the internet or a CD, etc. Not everyone falls in this category, however, and that's fine. We just need to encourage more of the casual listeners to expand their catalogue and find more good music to put in their library, and maybe get them in the world of the album!

Also, nice to know you like ADoseofBuckley as well. I wouldn't necessarily call him a Youtuber, though, and more of using the platform to get his name out (his words, not mine, XD).


One thing that gets on my nerves about some people is that some people refuse to listen to certain kinds of music because it is "old" or something. I guess that is why I mentioned groups like the beatles, pink Floyd, rolling stone, etc. you can still be a fan by not listening to them, but refusing to listen to something based off a criteria as frivolous as the decade it was written in seems absurd to me.


I agree with this of course as you know me as a big fan of a 70s powerhouse supergroup in Parliament-Funkadelic and you and I both know that good music transcends time and sounds just as fresh as the day it was recorded and prime examples are: Beatles, Rolling Stones, James Brown, War, AC/DC, and Parliament-Funkadelic.


Yeah, I definitely have an interest in War and Parliament-Funkadelic, especially the latter. I'm susceptible to these "funky beats," and it sounds like the funk genre is made for me in some way (especially since I'm a drummer/percussionist after all).


It's all about the one and it's always nice to see another fan and we're alike in the fact that you're a hardcore Prog Rock fan and I'm a hardcore Funk fan.


I'm a hardcore alternative rock guy. Anything that innovates and goes against the grain is alright in my book. Hey, did you ever check out gang of four? I think you might like them. At least I hope you do
3511 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / The Mothership
Offline
Posted 8/20/16

electricdoomfire wrote:


Markest1 wrote:


Progrockdude wrote:


Markest1 wrote:


electricdoomfire wrote:


Progrockdude wrote:

I'm just going to leave it like this: this whole "casual vs. true" music fans conflict is bullshit in regards to the condescending nature of it, labelling one group (the casual in this case) being inferior to another (the "true" one). Yes, one who usually listens to one song from one artist (or sometimes genre) can be just as much of a music fan than one whose taste is so broad that it reaches the end of the rainbow. It really comes in when it's in regards to how much you listen to music in a day. I usually listen to music 24/7 all the time, whether it be through the internet or a CD, etc. Not everyone falls in this category, however, and that's fine. We just need to encourage more of the casual listeners to expand their catalogue and find more good music to put in their library, and maybe get them in the world of the album!

Also, nice to know you like ADoseofBuckley as well. I wouldn't necessarily call him a Youtuber, though, and more of using the platform to get his name out (his words, not mine, XD).


One thing that gets on my nerves about some people is that some people refuse to listen to certain kinds of music because it is "old" or something. I guess that is why I mentioned groups like the beatles, pink Floyd, rolling stone, etc. you can still be a fan by not listening to them, but refusing to listen to something based off a criteria as frivolous as the decade it was written in seems absurd to me.


I agree with this of course as you know me as a big fan of a 70s powerhouse supergroup in Parliament-Funkadelic and you and I both know that good music transcends time and sounds just as fresh as the day it was recorded and prime examples are: Beatles, Rolling Stones, James Brown, War, AC/DC, and Parliament-Funkadelic.


Yeah, I definitely have an interest in War and Parliament-Funkadelic, especially the latter. I'm susceptible to these "funky beats," and it sounds like the funk genre is made for me in some way (especially since I'm a drummer/percussionist after all).


It's all about the one and it's always nice to see another fan and we're alike in the fact that you're a hardcore Prog Rock fan and I'm a hardcore Funk fan.


I'm a hardcore alternative rock guy. Anything that innovates and goes against the grain is alright in my book. Hey, did you ever check out gang of four? I think you might like them. At least I hope you do


That makes 3! You're a friend of mine if you have a love and appreciation for music in general.
Posted 8/20/16
I'm so casual when it comes to music I could post



and I did.
3511 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / The Mothership
Offline
Posted 8/20/16

Hrafna wrote:

I'm so casual when it comes to music I could post



and I did.


Ain't nothing wrong with that, different strokes for different folks and Funk is different for everyone.
4502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M / The Shire, England
Offline
Posted 8/20/16 , edited 8/20/16
Lmao "true" music fan? I prefer the word "hardcore". You say casual gamers and hardcore gamers not casual gamers and true gamers. There is no superiority involved. Some people just don't really care that much about music (I didn't either until last year).

I'd actually much prefer to use head (i.e Hip Hop head, Jazz head, Music head etc.)
3511 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / The Mothership
Offline
Posted 8/20/16

TheZoldyckAssassin wrote:

Lmao "true" music fan? I prefer the word "hardcore". You say casual gamers and hardcore gamers not casual gamers and true gamers. There is no superiority involved. Some people just don't really care that much about music (I didn't either until last year).

I'd actually much prefer to use head (i.e Hip Hop head, Jazz head, Music head etc.)


I'm a friend of anyone who loves and appreciates music just as much or EVEN more than me.
atleap 
4676 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Way North
Offline
Posted 8/20/16
The way I see it, most people who state the difference between a "true" music fan and just a "regular" music fan is more concerned with their hipster-narcissistic image and wants to feel like they come from a higher culture than everyone else.

I'm not dividing these people into what type of music they listen to, whether it be billboard top100 or the most obscure thing ever, but rather I divide them into their opinions. Music isn't meant to divide, but to bring together, so who cares if you like Ariana Grande more than Emma Longard.
1290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / ya mum's house
Offline
Posted 8/20/16

Markest1 wrote:


electricdoomfire wrote:


Markest1 wrote:


Progrockdude wrote:


Markest1 wrote:


electricdoomfire wrote:


Progrockdude wrote:

I'm just going to leave it like this: this whole "casual vs. true" music fans conflict is bullshit in regards to the condescending nature of it, labelling one group (the casual in this case) being inferior to another (the "true" one). Yes, one who usually listens to one song from one artist (or sometimes genre) can be just as much of a music fan than one whose taste is so broad that it reaches the end of the rainbow. It really comes in when it's in regards to how much you listen to music in a day. I usually listen to music 24/7 all the time, whether it be through the internet or a CD, etc. Not everyone falls in this category, however, and that's fine. We just need to encourage more of the casual listeners to expand their catalogue and find more good music to put in their library, and maybe get them in the world of the album!

Also, nice to know you like ADoseofBuckley as well. I wouldn't necessarily call him a Youtuber, though, and more of using the platform to get his name out (his words, not mine, XD).


One thing that gets on my nerves about some people is that some people refuse to listen to certain kinds of music because it is "old" or something. I guess that is why I mentioned groups like the beatles, pink Floyd, rolling stone, etc. you can still be a fan by not listening to them, but refusing to listen to something based off a criteria as frivolous as the decade it was written in seems absurd to me.


I agree with this of course as you know me as a big fan of a 70s powerhouse supergroup in Parliament-Funkadelic and you and I both know that good music transcends time and sounds just as fresh as the day it was recorded and prime examples are: Beatles, Rolling Stones, James Brown, War, AC/DC, and Parliament-Funkadelic.


Yeah, I definitely have an interest in War and Parliament-Funkadelic, especially the latter. I'm susceptible to these "funky beats," and it sounds like the funk genre is made for me in some way (especially since I'm a drummer/percussionist after all).


It's all about the one and it's always nice to see another fan and we're alike in the fact that you're a hardcore Prog Rock fan and I'm a hardcore Funk fan.


I'm a hardcore alternative rock guy. Anything that innovates and goes against the grain is alright in my book. Hey, did you ever check out gang of four? I think you might like them. At least I hope you do


That makes 3! You're a friend of mine if you have a love and appreciation for music in general.


cool, but you didn't answer my question? Did you ever check out gang of four?
3326 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 8/20/16

electricdoomfire wrote:
I WAS BORN IN THE WRONG GENERATION


1290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / ya mum's house
Offline
Posted 8/20/16 , edited 8/20/16

TheZoldyckAssassin wrote:

Lmao "true" music fan? I prefer the word "hardcore". You say casual gamers and hardcore gamers not casual gamers and true gamers. There is no superiority involved. Some people just don't really care that much about music (I didn't either until last year).

I'd actually much prefer to use head (i.e Hip Hop head, Jazz head, Music head etc.)


I didn't mean for that connotation to be there. It was just a case of lack for a better word being used for the forum topic. True, there is a pretentious connotation to referring to anything as a "true" fan, but I was using it as a broad term for these other words you mentioned. Use whatever word you like, but the intended meaning is still there I think.
1290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / ya mum's house
Offline
Posted 8/20/16

ComboChrist wrote:


electricdoomfire wrote:
I WAS BORN IN THE WRONG GENERATION




I never posted that dude.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.