First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Mental disorder
690 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Eire
Offline
Posted 8/19/16
Yes I was diagnosed at age seven with a mild form of autism.

I've had social problems throughout my life and my schooling has suffered because of that. Even in a crowd of people I feel alone and am usually full of anxiety. Being with someone I know makes me feel better, its hard for me to be alone without constantly being scared. When I was younger I did use to get overwhelmed, mostly by sound. A prime example of this is when going to the cinema. There was a particular opening that could make me panic just because of how loud it was.

For all its faults it does give me a different perspective on life and reality that does make people accuse me of "trolling" quite a lot when I am actually being serious. Not to say I don't troll on purpose occasionally, but only with topics I find not really important, one of them being dubbed anime, I don't like dubbed anything that is true but I will try and annoy people who support dubbed media by trolling them. I can have obsessive behaviour, probably one of the reasons I use my computer so often, though if I can get into the habit of something (like excising regularly, still fat though ) that obsessive-ness can be a plus.

About half the people I have met with autism have sorta grated with me, we are very similar but don't get along at all. One came over to my house when I was younger for a sleep over but to my regret I couldn't stand him and ignored him till my parents decided to send him home.
Though later in life I did make friends with many people of varying mental conditions because I was in a school with a program set up to help people with mental problems go through school. Both my best friends have or had mental conditions in the past, the first having mild autism like me but I actually get on with him (sort of, are relationship is weird lol) and another who suffered from depression in his teens.

There is discrimination or stigma against people who have it, most certainly, when i was in school at lot of people the same age as me thought we were weird or freaks. Interestingly though a lot of the older students would sort of protect us and as others matured they would do the same. Many seemed to find value and friendship with people they had previously looked down on.

I have no idea why I have autism and don't really care either way. I think certain people can project on others. My mother still treats me like a child (and I'm 22) but she does the same to my two brothers who don't have any mental problems and one is several years older than me and one is slightly younger. So I can't say I was made to have autism or not and I don't really think it matters either way. The mind is still an enigma and not really all that well explained so I don't think my opinions on it matters either way, nor do I think other peoples opinions matter all that much either.

I was diagnosed at 7 years old which was pretty old, but it was 1999 or so at the time. I think diagnosing someone with a problem is fine, but I think so often they are seen as only a problem. It would be better if people looked at the benefits as well and not just the negatives (though I will admit there are many people much worse off than I am, but I am sure they still benefited in some way a normal person wouldn't have, even if they don't like it).

The systems in place for mental health in most places in the world are still laughable, but I can't blame most countries as at least they try. It's not at all easy to look after someones psychical health, let alone there mental health. My little brother is becoming an "SNA" or Special Needs Assistant in Ireland, that helps with school mostly but also home life. Ireland's entire health system has been failing over the years, but not because of lack of funding, or doctors and professionals not caring, simply by corruption and mismanagement in government and civil servants more interested in amassing personal wealth than actually serving those they swore to help and protect.

One of the countries that is failing in mental health so badly because they simply don't seem to care is the USA. As people who are prideful enough to spout "the best country in the world" seemingly every 10 minutes they have some of the worst governance and compassion in the world. Though that isn't just confined to mental health. Many don't seem to realise but the USA is on the verge of disaster. (and I don't mean the Donald).
29027 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/19/16
http://www.crunchyroll.com/library/Site_Rules

3) Be respectful of other users and assume goodwill. Don't insult other users; don't troll, don't flame, don't offer up flamebait.

Also a person medical condition and medical history is private topic, no one is required to talk about it.
690 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Eire
Offline
Posted 8/19/16

Aoikihen wrote:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/library/Site_Rules

3) Be respectful of other users and assume goodwill. Don't insult other users; don't troll, don't flame, don't offer up flamebait.

Also a person medical condition and medical history is private topic, no one is required to talk about it.


I understand the first bit, but who was saying it was required to talk about your medical history? No one forced me afaik >-<
6744 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 8/19/16 , edited 8/19/16


1. Biologically determined is generally a broad term, I wasn't trying to be specific. Brain structures, chemical imbalances, genetics.

2. There are some still now, wouldn't you say? ADHD is a common diagnosis of disruptive children in classrooms. You can argue people see it as a problem and diagnose it as a disorder when it could just be a difference in temperament. Shoving depressants down a kids throat to keep him/her sitting down and concentrating in class is questionable in it's ethics. Wanting children to be a certain way in education can be seen to have created the diagnosis of ADHD. So believe it or not, there are people who don't believe in ADHD because some people argue it's simply due to societal norms.

3. How far along do you go to say that though(?) We have to see that as a problem even when they are fine living with it? Should we force them to have treatments and medication for what we say is a problem?

4. Again, i'm not trying to be specific, it's broad. I wanted you to think/pick for yourself.
489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 8/19/16

TRKitsune wrote:


Progrockdude wrote:

Yes, more specifically Asperger's Syndrome. IIRC, it's high-functioning autism and is very high on the autism spectrum. Of course, I don't give a fuck if I'm made fun of regardless of it (besides, how many times have you heard "autistic" as an insult on the Internet, exactly? Probably too many to count, LOL.) I just want to live out the life I want to live, regardless of any of the obstacles in my way.


As someone who was initially diagnosed with the same disorder, you should probably be made aware that "Asperger's Syndrome" is a medically outdated term right now.

So essentially we both fall under "Autism Spectrum Disorder", medically speaking.


Interesting. Is there a reason for this, exactly? I'm just curious because despite having the disorder, I don't practically jack shit about it outside the basics.
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/19/16 , edited 8/19/16

Progrockdude wrote:

Interesting. Is there a reason for this, exactly? I'm just curious because despite having the disorder, I don't practically jack shit about it outside the basics.


The criteria for Asperger's Syndrome was too loose. They got rid of it and tightened the criteria in ASD for people higher on the spectrum because too many people were getting diagnosed with it--all over the place really. They also have Social Communication Disorder now for those who simply have social difficulties and thus are now no longer diagnosed with 'autism'.

Basically, people should be reevaluated.

489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 8/19/16

PrinceJudar wrote:


Progrockdude wrote:

Interesting. Is there a reason for this, exactly? I'm just curious because despite having the disorder, I don't practically jack shit about it outside the basics.


The criteria for Asperger's Syndrome was too loose. They got rid of it and tightened the criteria in ASD for people higher on the spectrum because too many people were getting diagnosed with it--all over the place really. They also have Social Communication Disorder now for those who simply have social difficulties are not diagnosed with 'autism'.

Basically, people should be reevaluated.



hmmmmmmm, good to know. I'll let my parents know this whenever they bring this topic up again.
20675 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 8/19/16

PrinceJudar wrote:


Progrockdude wrote:

Interesting. Is there a reason for this, exactly? I'm just curious because despite having the disorder, I don't practically jack shit about it outside the basics.


The criteria for Asperger's Syndrome was too loose. They got rid of it and tightened the criteria in ASD for people higher on the spectrum because too many people were getting diagnosed with it--all over the place really. They also have Social Communication Disorder now for those who simply have social difficulties and thus are now no longer diagnosed with 'autism'.

Basically, people should be reevaluated.



Most of us still go by the term Aspies despite that xD
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/19/16

Ryulightorb wrote:

Most of us still go by the term Aspies despite that xD


Yeah. I wouldn't.



20675 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 8/19/16

PrinceJudar wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:

Most of us still go by the term Aspies despite that xD


Yeah. I wouldn't.





fair enough but the large majority still do xD
Tantic 
3198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / England
Offline
Posted 8/19/16

Ryulightorb wrote:


PrinceJudar wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:

Most of us still go by the term Aspies despite that xD


Yeah. I wouldn't.





fair enough but the large majority still do xD


I have never met an autist that calls themselves / appreciates being called an aspie.

That being said, I haven't met a whole lot of them.
20675 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 8/19/16

Tantic wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:


PrinceJudar wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:

Most of us still go by the term Aspies despite that xD


Yeah. I wouldn't.





fair enough but the large majority still do xD


I have never met an autist that calls themselves / appreciates being called an aspie.

That being said, I haven't met a whole lot of them.


Most of us at r/Aspergers don't mind it we like it to be honest.

Autist sounds awful and like some disease though eww. ._.
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/19/16 , edited 8/19/16

Ryulightorb wrote:

fair enough but the large majority still do xD


Maybe on forums dedicated to identifying with it.

23 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / the factory where...
Offline
Posted 8/19/16
As a child I was diagnosed with ADHD and put on medication so I have some firsthand experience with this. I calmed down a hell of a lot as I grew up so I assumed that I was misdiagnosed.

Your specific question was whether disorders were made up, not whether people are misdiagnosed with actual disorders based on societal norms and expectations of them. I believe that ADHD is a real mental disorder but also that it unfortunately has an extremely high misdiagnosis rate due to the nature of the disorder itself - it can be written off very easily as just being the behaviour that some people have when they are young which is fair enough but for some that behaviour is due to the disorder.

---

Whether they are fine with how they are living is irrelevant if their conditions are affecting the safety of others considerably. If it's something minor that only mildly affects their behaviour or memory then so be it, if they have something that makes them occasionally go nuts without much provocation then they are risking both themselves and others by going un-medicated.
Posted 8/19/16

Aoikihen wrote:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/library/Site_Rules

3) Be respectful of other users and assume goodwill. Don't insult other users; don't troll, don't flame, don't offer up flamebait.

Also a person medical condition and medical history is private topic, no one is required to talk about it.


Agree with this statement
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.