Post Reply The Gundam Franchise
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 8/26/16
Let me know if a thread like this one exist or not.
Thanks a bunches.

I love Gundam but I want to love it even more. The shows from the Gundam Franchise that I've watched are listed at the bottom.

Gundam Seed and Destiny
Gundam 00
Gundam Wing
Gundam Build Fighters
Gundam Unicorn
Gundam Iron Blood Orphans


I'm looking to watch something classic but I don't know where to start. For all you CR Gundam Fans, which of the Gundam Classics should I watch. I'm talking shows, movies, and ovas. List them down.


Enjoy!!!


15748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Virginia USA
Online
Posted 8/26/16
If you are talking mostly just the UC Timeline and in order then

Start with the first 3 Gundam movies (they condense all of the original series into 3 movies). Then watch War in the pocket, 08th MS Team, then the Gundam Igloo series Stardust Memory, Zeta Gundam (or the Zeta Gundam movies, but I prefer the full run here), ZZ Gundam, Char’s Counterattack and then Unicorn. Unicorn is actually the current "end" of the US timeline.

Of course, this omits most of the OVAs and other movies, but you can sort of watch them as you see fit.

But, this will give you the majority of the major timeline in the shortest amount of time in chronological order.
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 8/26/16

Yamstarch wrote:

If you are talking mostly just the UC Timeline and in order then

Start with the first 3 Gundam movies (they condense all of the original series into 3 movies). Then watch War in the pocket, 08th MS Team, then the Gundam Igloo series Stardust Memory, Zeta Gundam (or the Zeta Gundam movies, but I prefer the full run here), ZZ Gundam, Char’s Counterattack and then Unicorn. Unicorn is actually the current "end" of the US timeline.

Of course, this omits most of the OVAs and other movies, but you can sort of watch them as you see fit.

But, this will give you the majority of the major timeline in the shortest amount of time in chronological order.


What are the three Gundam movies?
15748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Virginia USA
Online
Posted 8/26/16

qualeshia3 wrote:


Yamstarch wrote:

If you are talking mostly just the UC Timeline and in order then

Start with the first 3 Gundam movies (they condense all of the original series into 3 movies). Then watch War in the pocket, 08th MS Team, then the Gundam Igloo series Stardust Memory, Zeta Gundam (or the Zeta Gundam movies, but I prefer the full run here), ZZ Gundam, Char’s Counterattack and then Unicorn. Unicorn is actually the current "end" of the US timeline.

Of course, this omits most of the OVAs and other movies, but you can sort of watch them as you see fit.

But, this will give you the majority of the major timeline in the shortest amount of time in chronological order.


What are the three Gundam movies?


Mobile Suit Gundam I

Mobile Suit Gundam II

Mobile Suit Gundam III

1103 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 8/26/16
As some people have pointed out, watch the first UC timeline shows.The first Mobile Suit Gundam is kind of dated, but still a classic. The OVA series (08th MS team, War in the Pocket, and Stardust Memory) are wonderful additions to it after you've finished the original run. Then there's Zeta Gundam, which is probably my favourite classic Gundam of them all.
14128 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 8/26/16
Are the movies better than the tv or just quicker to watch? I am assuming it is just condensed, (I am also planning on taking on UC timeline in the near future.) I sort of want to watch the tv version but maybe not. Pretty much they were telling me to watch the same movies and whatnot though.

Also if you want to see what people where recommending to me as far as the UC timeline goes here ya go http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-959207/gundam-timeline#54278243
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 8/26/16

mow123 wrote:

Are the movies better than the tv or just quicker to watch? I am assuming it is just condensed, (I am also planning on taking on UC timeline in the near future.) I sort of want to watch the tv version but maybe not. Pretty much they were telling me to watch the same movies and whatnot though.

Also if you want to see what people where recommending to me as far as the UC timeline goes here ya go http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-959207/gundam-timeline#54278243


Thanks.
11689 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 8/27/16

mow123 wrote:

Are the movies better than the tv or just quicker to watch? I am assuming it is just condensed, (I am also planning on taking on UC timeline in the near future.) I sort of want to watch the tv version but maybe not. Pretty much they were telling me to watch the same movies and whatnot though.


From everything I've read, the original Mobile Suit Gundam is the only show where it's recommended to watch the compilation movies over the TV series itself. It tightens up the story and characters without having to rush through things.
107944 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / strangereal
Offline
Posted 8/27/16 , edited 8/27/16
Gundam Unicorn is not the current end of the UC timeline whatever that means. UC timeline's latest period entry would be Reconguista in G or Turn A Gundam though the latter is a little more complex in terms of chronology. Reconguista in G may be hard to understand and is more appreciated in Japan for various reasons.

Though after Unicorn would be the movie Gundam F91 and Victory Gundam which can be considered late UC entries. If you're interested in any mangas, Crossbone Gundam is a popular choice which takes place after F91.


Hopefully you'll enjoy the UC series as much as I did.

Edit: Oh yes I forgot to mention Gundam Thunderbolt and The Origin. The Origin takes place before Gundam 0079 (the first uc gundam series) and is considered a different take on it. Gundam Thunderbolt is a manga adaptation that is considered an alternative take on the end of the one year war during the first series.
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 8/28/16
Thanks for the comments, cool people.
82386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / Right behind you!
Offline
Posted 8/28/16
I'd also like to throw in that please, do not give up on ZZ Gundam. The first part of the series is gawd awful, I mean really bad. You always hear that it gets better later on but you will be sitting there thinking that nothing can redeem the manure you are seeing. It really does pull it off and imho,
is some of the best drama on the series.
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 8/28/16

ragnarok6789 wrote:

Gundam Unicorn is not the current end of the UC timeline whatever that means. UC timeline's latest period entry would be Reconguista in G or Turn A Gundam though the latter is a little more complex in terms of chronology. Reconguista in G may be hard to understand and is more appreciated in Japan for various reasons.

Though after Unicorn would be the movie Gundam F91 and Victory Gundam which can be considered late UC entries. If you're interested in any mangas, Crossbone Gundam is a popular choice which takes place after F91.


Hopefully you'll enjoy the UC series as much as I did.

Edit: Oh yes I forgot to mention Gundam Thunderbolt and The Origin. The Origin takes place before Gundam 0079 (the first uc gundam series) and is considered a different take on it. Gundam Thunderbolt is a manga adaptation that is considered an alternative take on the end of the one year war during the first series.


I've heard bad things about Reconguista in G. Is it safe to watch it?
107944 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / strangereal
Offline
Posted 8/28/16
I enjoyed Reconguista in G. Unfortunately bandai/sunrise didn't allow it to become a 50 episode series like it was supposed to be so there is a lot of background reading to do as it will not give you expositions for it. It's a love it or hate it series.

I'd say you don't have to watch it if you're not confident that you'll enjoy it. I do however recommend Turn A as well as ZZ even if they are a little slow in pacing. Everybody has different oppinions for each gundam series but in the end each series has their own respective fanbase that are pretty passionate about it.
You must be logged in to post.