First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Should full-face veils and burqas be banned?
9311 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 8/27/16
Yes.
Potential security threat.
Makes it pretty impossible to intergrate.
Could make others feel uneasy or un safe.
Impossible to be identified (say if a crime was commited or something of the like).
It's a double standard (you cant walk around in crowded malls or a bank wearing a motor cycle helmet or a balaclave or a ninja outfit or a medi evil suit of armor, etc).

7227 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Earth
Offline
Posted 8/27/16

MrAnimeSK wrote:

Yes.
Potential security threat.
Makes it pretty impossible to intergrate.
Could make others feel uneasy or un safe.
Impossible to be identified (say if a crime was commited or something of the like).
It's a double standard (you cant walk around in crowded malls or a bank wearing a motor cycle helmet or a balaclave or a ninja outfit or a medi evil suit of armor, etc).



^
Wear whatever you want around your home.
Humms 
10609 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 8/27/16
I think if you want to come to our country you will respect our rules

But hey, who am I to say.

I guess when they want to escape such an oppressive country they wish to bring what they have escaped from back to our own, so what are you really escaping from? Or is it the simple fact that they want to enforce their lives onto ours so we may change to their will.

Real nice, real nice.

Posted 8/27/16
I'd like to see your beautiful face.

That is all.
Sogno- 
45766 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 8/27/16
idk but that picture reminds me of something out of a horror film
11782 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / McDonough
Offline
Posted 8/27/16 , edited 8/29/16
Integrating or assimilating? The whole beauty (or intended beauty at least) of America is being able to come over here and live as you choose without fear of oppression. If you're going to ban burqa's then you would have to ban any other clothing that is deemed "un-american".

Disclaimer: After typing this I noticed the article you posted was about Europe. And so I'd like to make clear that my argument is limited to the US only.
7227 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Earth
Offline
Posted 8/27/16

Southern55 wrote:

Integrating or assimilating? The whole beauty (or intended beauty at least) of America is being able to come over here and live as you choose without fear of oppression. If you're going to ban burqa's then you would have to ban any other clothing that is deemed "un-american".

Disclaimer: After typing this I noticed the article you posted was about Europe. And so I'd like to make clear that my argument is limited to the US only.


So then if burqa's are allowed do we allow ski masks, bandanas, Halloween masks, kkk hoods, and paper bags with eye slits in banks and shops?
83 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M
Offline
Posted 8/27/16
As far as i know no other religion requires women to cover their entire bodies and faces. If this is required in certain countries then ok, however in other countries it is a security risk. Any country that is subject to acts of islamic terror should outlaw them immediately. The safety of the population comes before a persons religious rights. Not to mention that anyone who is a wanted criminal can just wear one of these to avoid being detected on cameras that are accessed by facial recognition.

If you dont like it then you dont have to live there. You can go to a country that shares your views. A minority does not have the right to demand the majority bends to their views.
Posted 8/27/16 , edited 8/27/16
Burqas are stupid.
83 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M
Offline
Posted 8/27/16
They use their religion to make others bend to their will. Islamic countries are very strict about anyone traveling through their countries and are not tolerant of other religions. You cant even get through a Saudi airport wearing a crucifix or carrying a bible. They will confiscate them out of your luggage and off of your person.
23413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / Always my room
Offline
Posted 8/27/16
No
1428 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / United States
Offline
Posted 8/27/16 , edited 8/29/16
You could always just not ban them.

Trying to force integration by banning things is illogical and hence not something I would support.
6165 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / 馬鹿外人
Offline
Posted 8/27/16 , edited 8/29/16

EichiXIII wrote:

Nope. I see no valid reason as to why they should be banned.


^
35061 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/27/16 , edited 8/29/16

MrAnimeSK wrote:

Yes.
Potential security threat.
Makes it pretty impossible to intergrate.
Could make others feel uneasy or un safe.
Impossible to be identified (say if a crime was commited or something of the like).
It's a double standard (you cant walk around in crowded malls or a bank wearing a motor cycle helmet or a balaclave or a ninja outfit or a medievil suit of armor, etc).


You don't have to ban burqas and such to resolve any security concerns. Petrol stations, liquor stores, financial institutions' branches, and other hot targets for robberies could privately require that a niqab (the face mask portion of veils often worn by conservative fundamentalist Muslims) be removed while allowing a customer to keep her hijab (the head scarf) on while on the premises, which is different from banning Muslims' face veils outright.

Meanwhile, those institutions can also protect employees and customers by doing things like:

- Keeping a limited amount of cash on site and announcing that this is the policy on visibly posted signs.
- Setting up bulletproof windows at counters.
- Installing security cameras.
- Putting rulers on the frames of entrances and exits to get height estimates for all comers.
- Keeping half the doors locked at all times.
- Hiring private security officers to protect the premises either during business hours and/or after closing.
- Closing the main lobby and requiring customers to perform drive-through or walk-up window transactions at night.
- Installing silent alarms.

Other articles of clothing that are commonly worn by robbers such as sunglasses, hoodies, and bandanas aren't banned even if they can't be worn in petrol stations and such due to institutional policies, and they don't need to be banned either. Less restrictive, perfectly reasonable measures can be taken there, and these same measures can be taken for niqabs and burqas. There is no need to ban them outright in public spaces, and to do so runs contrary to the institution of free exercise of religion. I'd no more stand for that than I would for banning Catholic nuns' habits or Orthodox Jews' shtreimels in public spaces.


nanikore2 wrote:

I personally would find a fully covered face somewhat off-putting because it would feel as if the person has walled herself off to me and everyone else- although that's not the intention it may have that kind of effect.

From the linked article:


Though, Ali said she feels that while living in a non-Muslim country, not wearing a headscarf has helped her better interact with the community because she is no longer "displaying her religion."
"Friends and colleagues told me they thought I was a very serious person (when I wore the hijab), they had a certain perception of me," said Ali.
"But now my non-Muslim friends and colleagues find me more approachable."


Sure, and I'm definitely not a fan of such garb either, but I don't think that's a strong enough reason to ban it.
3415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 8/27/16 , edited 8/27/16
Yes and no.
at some point they can be a danger to safety, at least areas with terrorist problems like france to other places (even though sometimes focusing a bit too much on only that clothing).
see their face is also good for knowing who they are and sometimes for their own health.
As there is some extreme views going around some of that and it would be nice and good to just know who they are, also it makes it easier to communicate with.
Then also to work, get a job etc.

as the religion don't really force them to wear it over their face... but others do or "themselfs".


BUT then again I dislike anyone going too far with religion/faith.
So why can't we ban thoughts and ideas as well?
Also could some of the muslim community please adept with the times, please?
Even if there are small areas of those muslims or if you see those more insane preaches would you say something about it?
Would you as a muslim say that this is taking it too far for our faith towards ___?
What would a "real" muslim tolerate, as most should know where the line goes, some does and some doesn't (by cultural differences and values)


Wish at least this thing for such veils could go away, and take your birthday suit out there.
You where made with a body from said god, why should you hide it with man made clothes that was NOT given by god or really enforced to do so from the start.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.