First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
African-American
4721 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/28/16


Simple man! If only everyone else viewed it the same way. I can't understand why people demand such "respect" on what they should be called over just respecting their culture.

The way I see it, it's just a description. If you seriously think saying "black person" defines you completely you're shallow as hell and if the person saying "black person" thinks that defines you they're obviously ignorant. Who's wrong here?
9540 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 8/28/16
Does anyone care? It's not like us Asians aren't extraordinarily proud of our heritage to ram the country our grandparents came from in front of American...or anything. Asian American is a bit of a generic term, and sometimes we just use it to fit in.
3415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 8/28/16
If you are black you are black.
If you are white you are white.
+ over 9000 other colors.
yellow
blue/grey, but we just call them blue.

11774 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / McDonough
Offline
Posted 8/28/16

Em0SceneStabr wrote:


Southern55 wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


Southern55 wrote:


Hrafna wrote:

Where I'm from, if you're African-Norwegian, that means that you have an African and a Norwegian citizenship. If you're black and have a Norwegian citizenship, but not an African citizenship, then you're not African, or African-Norwegian, you're just Norwegian.

If you're one of those who refer to yourself as-- or refer to others as African-American, do you do so because they have an African and an American citizenship, or do you just say it to remind us that you or they are black? And, if so, why not just say black?


never understood why people used african-american to describe themselves honestly. It's rather silly. They are not from Africa and have no nationality connection to it. They are Americans. White people don't call themselves "European-Americans". White is white and black is black.


I'll call myself American way before I call myself black.


And I'm fine with that. I just dislike "insert country/continent here"-American from people who were born and raised in America


I feel like everyone i just quoted doesn't know what the word "Caucasian" means.....


How often do you hear people actually say Caucasian? No one says "Hey white offends me, call me Caucasian"
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 8/28/16
Well there are the Irish-Americans and Italian-Americans.
16390 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Arizona, US
Offline
Posted 8/28/16
I say black, white, etc. because screw political correctness.
Posted 8/28/16
I never understood the significance of such a term unless the indication of one's nationality has a point. Even then, half the people who self-identify as African-Americans have zero connection to that continent.
8653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Pennsylvania
Offline
Posted 8/28/16

Hrafna wrote:


Em0SceneStabr wrote:

I feel like everyone i just quoted doesn't know what the word "Caucasian" means.....


If we are to refer to white people as Caucasoid, should we then refer to black people as Negroid, and Asians as Mongoloids? If we should not refer to them as Negroid and Mongoloid, is it because Negroid and Mongoloid are now considered 'bad' terms, but then how come Caucasoid is not considered a 'bad' term?


"Caucasian" refers to a specific location in between asian and europe. i don't know where you're going with your comment........
CodyJJ 
8066 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Denver, CO
Offline
Posted 8/28/16

Southern55 wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


Southern55 wrote:


Hrafna wrote:

Where I'm from, if you're African-Norwegian, that means that you have an African and a Norwegian citizenship. If you're black and have a Norwegian citizenship, but not an African citizenship, then you're not African, or African-Norwegian, you're just Norwegian.

If you're one of those who refer to yourself as-- or refer to others as African-American, do you do so because they have an African and an American citizenship, or do you just say it to remind us that you or they are black? And, if so, why not just say black?


never understood why people used african-american to describe themselves honestly. It's rather silly. They are not from Africa and have no nationality connection to it. They are Americans. White people don't call themselves "European-Americans". White is white and black is black.


I'll call myself American way before I call myself black.


And I'm fine with that. I just dislike "insert country/continent here"-American from people who were born and raised in America


Actually, the term "African-American" was adopted during the Civil Rights Era when black people in the United States (decedents of slaves) were unable to trace their ancestry to a specific country because of slavery. What this term did is it took their identity ("black", which was an identity that was forced upon them) and it gave them belonging. Now, you can argue that racial concepts and terminology vary from country-country and culture-culture but criticizing this particular term seems ill-mannered and ill-informed. I will say, however, that we can argue about the political correctness of this term as I disagree with the claim that out-groups are obligated to call the members of this group by what they call themselves.
4504 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
UK
Offline
Posted 8/28/16
If I had to describe myself then I'd say I'm British Caribbean with some African heritage. I could just say British but I will get asked where I'm really from. I'd also use the black description because that's what they use in the UK though techically I've never seen a black person just many shades of brown some darker, some lighter. They tend to call some south Asians brown and some biracials brown. Again I can fit into those descriptions. My grandparents used the term West Indian, I don't because that was just an inaccurate geographic description since Columbus was a bit confused as to where he was.

I've heard a few try to stretch things to say that I should use the term African American because they consider the Caribbean to be part of the Americas. They are not. They're many separate Islands that are not politically connected to any country in central or south America. They are all sovereign independent nations with the exception of Martinique and Guadeloupe that belong to France, Curacoa and another island that are are still Dutch, Bahamas belongs to Britain, Puerto Rico, and Some of the Virgin islands are colonies to USA and the others are Spanish. There are some central and south American nations that have a historic and cultural tie to the rest of the Caribbean, they are Belize and Guyana.

I do understand that the term African would be vague if you don't know what region in African your ancestors came from. There are two countries on the African content that have Africa in their name, South Africa and Central African Republic.

American itself its a vague term though its mainly expected to be from the US.
30787 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Fraxinus
Offline
Posted 8/28/16
I think I'll start calling white Americans 'English American'. It's just as overly politically correct and ridiculous as calling black people African American, so it shouldn't be an issue.
632 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 8/28/16
Everyone born in American should just be called American.
Black people who where born in America who's parents where also born in America and so on are about as African American as I am English American/Irish American/German American.

This also makes confusion for white Africans who come to America and find out they are not allowed to call themselves African American when they come to live in America.
Posted 8/28/16

Em0SceneStabr wrote:

"Caucasian" refers to a specific location in between asian and europe. i don't know where you're going with your comment........

Caucasoid is a taxonomy and nomenclature established for the same purpose as Negroid and Mongoloid, used to describe distinct human physical features from various sets of areas on the planet. The only difference between Caucasoid, Mongoloid, and Negroid, is that while Caucasoid and Mongoloid refers to the Caucasus and Mongolian territories, Negroid simply refers to the shade black. Now, Congoid and Capoid, on the other hand, are subcategories of Negroid, and refers to Congo and Cape in Africa. If the reference to shade instead of location when saying Negroid is a big deal, then I suggest Afroid or Saharoid instead of Negroid. I mean, why not start a trend? But, you know, the more I say something-something-oid, the more I'm starting to think of steroid, and hemorrhoid. Yeah, definitely... now all I hear is hemorrhoid.

You don't know where I was going with my comment? I have no idea where you were going with yours to begin with.
4504 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
UK
Offline
Posted 8/28/16

Frenzify wrote:

I think I'll start calling white Americans 'English American'. It's just as overly politically correct and ridiculous as calling black people African American, so it shouldn't be an issue.


What about the Germans, Polish, French, Spaniards, Dutch, Norwegians, Irish, Italians, Russians, Swedish, Finish, Latvians etc? What'd you call them if they have ancestors of mix for all of Europe, European American?
30787 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Fraxinus
Offline
Posted 8/28/16

tkayt wrote:


Frenzify wrote:

I think I'll start calling white Americans 'English American'. It's just as overly politically correct and ridiculous as calling black people African American, so it shouldn't be an issue.


What about the Germans, Polish, French, Spaniards, Dutch, Norwegians, Irish, Italians, Russians, Swedish, Finish, Latvians etc? What'd you call them if they have ancestors of mix for all of Europe, European American?


Which is why I hate the term 'African American' as a term for skin colour. My first post was in no way a serious proposition. It was a jab at how stupid I find the term 'African American'.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.