First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
African-American
6638 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 8/28/16
I call them black. Hyphenated labels makes things confusing and stupid. Like this girl in my high school who was angry that I called Nelson Mandela black instead of saying he was African-American and then got angry when I pointed out Nelson Mandela wasn't an American so therefore could not be African-American.

Or what if an Egyptian came here and became a citizen? Would they be an African-American? They have spent more time in Africa than most so-called African-Americans. Or how about my cousin who was transferred to South Africa for work and got married there. If he comes back to the States with his wife (who is white) does she get to be called an African-American? Once again, she is more African than most blacks in the US are.

And I take issue with the term Caucasian. Who decided that was the racial term there? How many white people do you know come from the Caucasus region? Unless you live in Georgia, Armenia, or that part of Russia, not a lot I would wager. That would be like calling black people Virungans, after the mountain chain in Rwanda, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and Uganda.
8651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Pennsylvania
Offline
Posted 8/28/16

Hrafna wrote:


Em0SceneStabr wrote:

"Caucasian" refers to a specific location in between asian and europe. i don't know where you're going with your comment........

Caucasoid is a taxonomy and nomenclature established for the same purpose as Negroid and Mongoloid, used to describe distinct human physical features from various sets of areas on the planet. The only difference between Caucasoid, Mongoloid, and Negroid, is that while Caucasoid and Mongoloid refers to the Caucasus and Mongolian territories, Negroid simply refers to the shade black. Now, Congoid and Capoid, on the other hand, are subcategories of Negroid, and refers to Congo and Cape in Africa. If the reference to shade instead of location when saying Negroid is a big deal, then I suggest Afroid or Saharoid instead of Negroid. I mean, why not start a trend? But, you know, the more I say something-something-oid, the more I'm starting to think of steroid, and hemorrhoid. Yeah, definitely... now all I hear is hemorrhoid.

You don't know where I was going with my comment? I have no idea where you were going with yours to begin with.


" If you're one of those who refer to yourself as-- or refer to others as African-American, do you do so because they have an African and an American citizenship, or do you just say it to remind us that you or they are black? And, if so, why not just say black? " This is what you said right? I reply by saying that both Black and african american are the same thing, i don't think any of them is inherently a bad thing. The African part just means that if you go back far enough that the person's ancestors were African. I feel like a asian person born in the US would say that there Ethnicity is Asian even though they're "technically" american. You seem to have a problem with the word Caucasian so you copied and pasted something to try and argue with me. When you post a topic expect opinions.... not gonna argue with you anymore though bye.
118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Memphis
Offline
Posted 8/28/16
and what would that be?
991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/28/16

E_Chaos wrote:

America is a pair of continents; there's North and South


though true, there is only one nation that actually has "America" in it's official name.
263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/28/16

Maybe this will help.

http://decodedpast.com/black-african-american-correct-society/6337
991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/28/16

MysticGon wrote:

True, why don't we call all white Americans European American.


because they generally go more specific. Italian-American, Irish-American, German-American etc. etc. etc. I think it's fair to say African-Americans are more likely not to know specifically what part of Africa they're family is originally from, especially if their family has been in America before the Civil War.

991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/28/16

Frenzify wrote:

I think I'll start calling white Americans 'English American'. It's just as overly politically correct and ridiculous as calling black people African American, so it shouldn't be an issue.


I don't think that will go over too well with people of Irish, German or anywhere else in Europe descent...
11764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / McDonough
Offline
Posted 8/28/16

Frenzify wrote:

I think I'll start calling white Americans 'English American'. It's just as overly politically correct and ridiculous as calling black people African American, so it shouldn't be an issue.


But but we aren't all English! Some of us are danish or french or german or scottish or irish *continues for 5 minutes* or Italian or Spanish or Portugese... If you're gonna be PC then do it properly GOSH
11764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / McDonough
Offline
Posted 8/28/16

CodyJJ wrote:


Southern55 wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


Southern55 wrote:


Hrafna wrote:

Where I'm from, if you're African-Norwegian, that means that you have an African and a Norwegian citizenship. If you're black and have a Norwegian citizenship, but not an African citizenship, then you're not African, or African-Norwegian, you're just Norwegian.

If you're one of those who refer to yourself as-- or refer to others as African-American, do you do so because they have an African and an American citizenship, or do you just say it to remind us that you or they are black? And, if so, why not just say black?


never understood why people used african-american to describe themselves honestly. It's rather silly. They are not from Africa and have no nationality connection to it. They are Americans. White people don't call themselves "European-Americans". White is white and black is black.


I'll call myself American way before I call myself black.


And I'm fine with that. I just dislike "insert country/continent here"-American from people who were born and raised in America


Actually, the term "African-American" was adopted during the Civil Rights Era when black people in the United States (decedents of slaves) were unable to trace their ancestry to a specific country because of slavery. What this term did is it took their identity ("black", which was an identity that was forced upon them) and it gave them belonging. Now, you can argue that racial concepts and terminology vary from country-country and culture-culture but criticizing this particular term seems ill-mannered and ill-informed. I will say, however, that we can argue about the political correctness of this term as I disagree with the claim that out-groups are obligated to call the members of this group by what they call themselves.


I have no criticism towards the label african-american if it's fitting for the person. And I understand that it stems from people not wanting to be labeled "black". But considering a large portion of black people have no connection to Africa (other than their great x7 grandad was from Africa) or America I feel that it is a rather silly thing to use as a label for a person with a certain skin color.

Also I feel that by labeling yourself as African-American you are singling yourself out and separating yourself from the rest of the country. Which further fuels the divide between races. Fuel, that at this point, is far from needed.


Very few White American's associate themselves with where their ancestors originate from, and even fewer could tell you with absolute certainty where that actually is. I'm not European-American. I'm just an American who happens to be white. They are just Americans who happen to be black.

Though I feel this way of thinking is contradictory to my opinion that America should be a mosaic and not a melting pot, it's how I feel nonetheless.
10 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
100 / M
Offline
Posted 8/28/16
And at the end of the day black, white, purple or green we're human we bleed the same we all die and we're all a bunch of cunts
Posted 8/28/16

Em0SceneStabr wrote:

" If you're one of those who refer to yourself as-- or refer to others as African-American, do you do so because they have an African and an American citizenship, or do you just say it to remind us that you or they are black? And, if so, why not just say black? " This is what you said right? I reply by saying that both Black and african american are the same thing, i don't think any of them is inherently a bad thing. The African part just means that if you go back far enough that the person's ancestors were African. I feel like a asian person born in the US would say that there Ethnicity is Asian even though they're "technically" american. You seem to have a problem with the word Caucasian so you copied and pasted something to try and argue with me. When you post a topic expect opinions.... not gonna argue with you anymore though bye.


So, African-American doesn't mean that you have a dual citizenship, that you have two passports, that you can live freely in both countries, that you can choose to join an African or the American military, it means black. So, is it then safe to assume that black people in Norway are African-Americans, since black and African-American is the same thing now, or what? If you're African-American, then would that make me Sami-German-Norwegian since one of my grandfathers on my father side was from Germany and one of my grand-grandmothers on my mother side were Sami?

And what, I have been asking questions all along in this topic, expecting opinions. It wasn't until you put me in with your quotes, and attempted to paint me as not understanding what caucasian meant, that I countered that accusation by relaying information back to you in a coherent format, and now, because apparently I write your language better than you do and your average American, you're attempting to paint me as copy-pasting that shit instead of writing it myself. Well, then, from now on I shall only copy-paste.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropology
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_citizenship
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPb8YqyYijg
11005 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 8/28/16 , edited 8/29/16
Black guy from America here talking on my wifes account.

African American is just a politically correct term for identifying a black male or female in America. It has nothing to do with having duel citizenship or anything of the sorts. Some people take offense to being called Black, so this term came into play.

Its also confusing to people who are not from America for the exact reason this post was created. You don't call someone who is black and born in Japan African American because he wasn't born in America, it just wont make sense.

It seems like every generation or so blacks get called something new to prevent people from being offended or segregate in some way, shape, or form.

In my personal opinion, i hate being called African American, I would rather just be called black. But some don't feel the same way. Its an American thing that causes unnecessary arguments on both sides.

Sorry if this is confusing. I will try to explain more if there are still questions, I was trying to explain it in a simple way.

Edit: Spelling correction
8651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Pennsylvania
Offline
Posted 8/29/16

Hrafna wrote:


Em0SceneStabr wrote:

" If you're one of those who refer to yourself as-- or refer to others as African-American, do you do so because they have an African and an American citizenship, or do you just say it to remind us that you or they are black? And, if so, why not just say black? " This is what you said right? I reply by saying that both Black and african american are the same thing, i don't think any of them is inherently a bad thing. The African part just means that if you go back far enough that the person's ancestors were African. I feel like a asian person born in the US would say that there Ethnicity is Asian even though they're "technically" american. You seem to have a problem with the word Caucasian so you copied and pasted something to try and argue with me. When you post a topic expect opinions.... not gonna argue with you anymore though bye.


So, African-American doesn't mean that you have a dual citizenship, that you have two passports, that you can live freely in both countries, that you can choose to join an African or the American military, it means black. So, is it then safe to assume that black people in Norway are African-Americans, since black and African-American is the same thing now, or what? If you're African-American, then would that make me Sami-German-Norwegian since one of my grandfathers on my father side was from Germany and one of my grand-grandmothers on my mother side were Sami?

And what, I have been asking questions all along in this topic, expecting opinions. It wasn't until you put me in with your quotes, and attempted to paint me as not understanding what caucasian meant, that I countered that accusation by relaying information back to you in a coherent format, and now, because apparently I write your language better than you do and your average American, you're attempting to paint me as copy-pasting that shit instead of writing it myself. Well, then, from now on I shall only copy-paste.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropology
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_citizenship
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPb8YqyYijg


So, Caucasion doesn't mean that you have a dual citizenship, that you have two passports, that you can live freely in both countries, that you can choose to join an Asian or the European military, it means white. did i do that right?
Posted 8/29/16

Em0SceneStabr wrote:

So, Caucasion doesn't mean that you have a dual citizenship, that you have two passports, that you can live freely in both countries, that you can choose to join an Asian or the European military, it means white. did i do that right?


No. Clearly you have issues with terms and definitions, from where they derived and to which they are used, and need a higher education so as to get your shit all sorted out.
22333 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/29/16
It's because we didn't like black so we chose negro, then we didn't like negro so we chose african-american, then that was too long so we are now just black again.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.