First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply What's going on with all of those ADS??
1138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 3/11/17 , edited 3/12/17
Whatever your opinion about the amounts of ads is, the only important thing is that you are supporting the anime industry. By having the ads you are technically "paying" for your episode by using your own time. The same thing goes for the subscriptions you are "paying" for no ads which saves you some time and some other benefits. So everyone has their right to argue for no ads or ads. However I think that most can agree that an adblock is pretty selfish.
1013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 3/12/17 , edited 3/12/17
I agree that adblock is pretty selfish, but because of the type of ad showing that Cr has I would use it if I could (I'm watching on my iphone so no adblock for me), also just noticed another thing, I am on the go and while the video is buffered and there's no problem with it when I lose internet connection from time to time, if ads try to run at that point it doesn't load them (because no internet) and I can't watch the video, it actually even breaks the stream sometimes and I have to reload the whole page when I have internet again...
to the person that said that free users aren't entitled to shit - if an ad brings $0.01 to CR and I watch 5000 ads in a month, I'm bringing as much money to them as you do. And seeing how I get 5 ads each 5-10 minutes (I'm watching a 40 minutes episode and it has 6 batches of 5 ads in it) I'm pretty sure I will bring as much money to CR as you do in a month. So don't tell me what I'm entitled to, please.
The point is I'm willing to support it as long as they don't do this shit (10 ads for 15 minutes of content). As I said I will go to the free available content on the net when it's so much PITA to watch on CR, in my country it's not illegal to download pirated content anyway. Or maybe it is but the law is not applied at all.
33246 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 3/12/17 , edited 3/12/17

fewtcher wrote:

I agree that adblock is pretty selfish, but because of the type of ad showing that Cr has I would use it if I could (I'm watching on my iphone so no adblock for me), also just noticed another thing, I am on the go and while the video is buffered and there's no problem with it when I lose internet connection from time to time, if ads try to run at that point it doesn't load them (because no internet) and I can't watch the video, it actually even breaks the stream sometimes and I have to reload the whole page when I have internet again...
to the person that said that free users aren't entitled to shit - if an ad brings $0.01 to CR and I watch 5000 ads in a month, I'm bringing as much money to them as you do. And seeing how I get 5 ads each 5-10 minutes (I'm watching a 40 minutes episode and it has 6 batches of 5 ads in it) I'm pretty sure I will bring as much money to CR as you do in a month. So don't tell me what I'm entitled to, please.
The point is I'm willing to support it as long as they don't do this shit (10 ads for 15 minutes of content). As I said I will go to the free available content on the net when it's so much PITA to watch on CR, in my country it's not illegal to download pirated content anyway. Or maybe it is but the law is not applied at all.


Then just pay for it or go somewhere else

It's really simple

I either pay or go, and I'm paying
1013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 3/12/17 , edited 3/12/17
If everyone goes because of too many ads then CR will earn much less than they would if they had less ads. I already have a free alternative but I wanted to contribute instead of watching without any contribution. I don't see why are people getting irritated over this.
11953 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Cucumber Town
Offline
Posted 3/12/17 , edited 3/12/17
Maybe you should just get a premium access
Ejanss 
16829 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/12/17 , edited 3/12/17

DaliusP wrote:

I have no idea what advertising partnerships Crunchyroll has, but forcing non-premium users to watch 3 or more ads in a row is kind of annoying. I have tried to check if that's the same with Crunchyroll app. And guess what! Yes, indeed it is. Is it just me or this whole thing kinda broken? How does everyone else feel about it?


It's not new to Crunchyroll--You can watch the same Shadybrook Farms Turkey, Match.com or Chase Bank ("No kissing on the first date, Mom") ad two or three times in a row on non-premium HuluPlus, as well.

Advertising hasn't really caught up with the streaming age, because
A), they're either still chained to the old-school model that we'll watch our ads on CSI and Big Bang Theory, and establish the networks' ratings, or
B), they still think that all them-there "Cord-cutters" went to Netflix/Hulu to escape ads, so what's the point of even looking there?

Me, unlike the new generation of Binge-Streaming kids who go into nuclear entitlement-rages if even one show is ad-supported, I'm still old-school enough to expect ads--it's a nice bathroom/snack break if I only want to watch half an episode at a time (a good way to get through some series)--and since I had Cut the Cord, I'd often been cut off in the woods from whatever products WERE advertising.
The ads on App games are practically the only way I know what other app games are out there and trending.

Just...a little more variety of brave companies to take the plunge would be nice.
1013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 3/12/17 , edited 3/12/17

CucumberMAN wrote:

Maybe you should just get a premium access


That's not a solution to the problem at all. That's avoiding the problem. And whoever wants to explain that non-paying members should just shut up and watch 20 minutes of ads on a 24 minute episode - be my guest. If you are just going to suggest that we should just pay for Premium - better don't reply at all. Because you are clearly missing the point of the discussion, which is that NON PREMIUM users are being suffocated in ads. Don't say stupid things, because we may not be paying from our pockets for watching, but CR still makes money of us. And if you consider viewing ads as working to pay up for the stuff you receive instead of actually giving money - about half an hour of ads per month should be the limit that we see since as per minimum wage in San Francisco that will be $6.50 worth of "work" of the user.
915 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 3/12/17 , edited 3/12/17

DaliusP wrote:

I have no idea what advertising partnerships Crunchyroll has, but forcing non-premium users to watch 3 or more ads in a row is kind of annoying. I have tried to check if that's the same with Crunchyroll app. And guess what! Yes, indeed it is. Is it just me or this whole thing kinda broken? How does everyone else feel about it?


If you are using the app then you get like 3-4 ads in the row ( well what I have experienced)
Ejanss 
16829 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/12/17 , edited 3/12/17

fewtcher wrote:
And if you consider viewing ads as working to pay up for the stuff you receive instead of actually giving money - about half an hour of ads per month should be the limit that we see since as per minimum wage in San Francisco that will be $6.50 worth of "work" of the user.


Yeah, what he....the HECK??
25142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / FL
Offline
Posted 3/12/17 , edited 3/12/17
Just download ad block
18832 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 3/12/17 , edited 3/12/17
well i do agree about the adds, CR mebership on the rise, so are the ads. why? you would thing with more pay members, there would be a decrease in ad. when i first started here there was like 30 ads. now there a 2 minutes.
is cr paying for more content?
is the membership price unable to cover expenses?
why the increase in ad time?
will the ad time increase continue? will we see 5 minute ads?
21488 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 3/12/17 , edited 3/12/17

I am premium AND still have to see 12 adds only on front page?
Ejanss 
16829 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/12/17 , edited 3/12/17

cdarklock wrote:
Well, funnily enough, there's a reason that a half-hour television programme made for commercial broadcast in the United States is 22 minutes: the other eight minutes is for ads.

That's more than 25% advertising.


And of course, the amount of ads on streaming isn't a problem--
On broadcast TV, the decline of 25-minute shows in the 70's to 22-minute shows today IS a problem of "More ads", but on non-premium CR and HuluPlus, there's no demand on scheduling time, and ads simply are what they are: A funding source.

And, as another poster already pointed out, with CR licensing almost every current hit the minute it becomes a phenomenon, and Nozomi and Discotek digging up the classics and streaming those, it ain't cheap. The Internet isn't as free as we think it is, and we pay the piper so he doesn't play off-key.


Cable television had the brilliant idea of letting people pay for commercial-free broadcasts. The modern web-based streaming sites are trying to do something entirely different - we'll stick commercials in what you watch, but if you pay us we'll stop - and Hulu has already figured out it doesn't work. That's why we now have Hulu, which costs money, and Yahoo! TV which does not. There's no difference in how it works, but the free streaming with ads is now in a different room from the paid streaming without them.

Basically, look at what's happening here. Even though you are receiving a valuable service for free, you are complaining because the price of that service - watching some ads - is "annoying." But you could get rid of that annoyance by working an extra hour or two a month.

The problem is that you see premium users getting better service from the same place under the same brand name. To you, "Crunchyroll" is a service which is CAPABLE of offering a commercial-free experience... and should be doing so for everyone, because that is fair. When you go to a website, you should have the same experience as everyone else who goes to that website. That's what we've been taught on the internet.


And thing is, the psychology of the Binge-Streaming generation means they WILL pay it, shakedown or not:
Talk to the core bingers, and it's not about the show, or even the ease of access, it's a sort of symbolic Millennial tantrum against all the old 70's-80's myths of "their parents' TV", and if you even so much as suggest watching only one episode a week or one episode a night, watch them go into ballistic rages of "One episode a WEEK? Who even has to do that anymore! That's how they used to do it in the OLD days, but we've got NEW bold TV now!"
And to suggest that those same shows should actually inflict, gasp, commercials upon their sacred viewing experience, just like Their Parents' TV, well...

HuluPlus tried to make More Premium without ads, for more money, and the audience divided into those who thought they were being "blackmailed" into watching TV the way it was "supposed to" be watched, ie. without evil ads, and those who just plain didn't see the point of paying out even more money out of pocket every month just to avoid a minute or two.
If HuluPlus-Plus didn't quite turn the profit the company expected to, seems the well-adjusted folk won out.
5076 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / North-east Ohio
Offline
Posted 3/12/17 , edited 3/12/17
Think about it this way, if you took a fraction of the time you spent watching the ads and used it for mowing lawns, you could have a premium membership for a month. Or 4 McDoubles....
I don't like watching the ads, tell me how much I need to pay for an uninterrupted viewing experience, if it's too much I won't watch, if it isn't I will. I definitely will pay the CR premium, beyond worth it.
I don't even listen to the local radio anymore in the car. I only have a limited amount of time in my life that I can take in auditory information before I die, I'm not going to spend it hearing how I could get my body hair removed with lasers.
36281 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / F / Seireitei, Soul S...
Offline
Posted 3/12/17

fewtcher wrote:
That's not a solution to the problem at all. That's avoiding the problem. And whoever wants to explain that non-paying members should just shut up and watch 20 minutes of ads on a 24 minute episode - be my guest. If you are just going to suggest that we should just pay for Premium - better don't reply at all. Because you are clearly missing the point of the discussion, which is that NON PREMIUM users are being suffocated in ads. Don't say stupid things, because we may not be paying from our pockets for watching, but CR still makes money of us. And if you consider viewing ads as working to pay up for the stuff you receive instead of actually giving money - about half an hour of ads per month should be the limit that we see since as per minimum wage in San Francisco that will be $6.50 worth of "work" of the user.


Getting a Premium Membership is a solution to the problem that you're having though, because it means that you don't have to watch the ads anymore. Crunchyroll doesn't have to listen to complaints about ads from their free members and change the ads just because those people want them to, because Crunchyroll can run whatever ads that they want to to get their ad revenue from to pay for the free members watching their shows. I used to be a free member a long time ago, when I was only watching Bleach and maybe one other show on here, then got a free month of Premium Membership offer, used it and then started paying monthly for Crunchyroll, never looking back because I hate watching the ads and would rather pay to watch all the content I want to without ads. And don't say that the ads pay for a membership, because they don't. The ads pay for the money used to pay for the licensing fees for Crunchyroll to be able to stream the content, for you to be able to watch free, not for a membership for you and you alone. If you want no ads and special treatment, then get a membership, simple as that. Paying members pay for more content to be able to be licensed and streamed on the site than the ads do for being watched by free members. Premium member payments are something that Crunchyroll can count on more than ad revenue since memberships are paid on a more regular basis while ads are random and how many times they are watched depends on how many free members watch shows and get those particular ads while watching. In short, paying members pay more for content to be available on Crunchyroll than ads do.
As for you viewing ads being considered as working to pay for the stuff you receive instead of actually giving money and the minimum wage being $6.50 in San Fransisco, they aren't paying you to watch anime, they're paying for you to be able to watch it for free by using the ads. You aren't working to be able to have watching anime as your payment.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.