First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Any other people out there who like shojo/josei stuff?
4846 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 9/8/16
I was never really able to get into shojo or josei manga growing up. It's not because I was particularly against it, but moreso because I rarely ever came across any manga or anime of the genre at the time. It certainly didn't help that when I did, it was usually either a generic battle shonen story but with a dash of romance added (like rosario vampire) or were magical girl stories (nothing against those, its just that this doesnt lead to that much variety)

Anyway I recently went to France, another country that's really into manga and anime, and while I was there I picked up Love and Tears by Hisa Kyomachi. I thoroughly enjoyed it and decided to find more stuff like it. Right now I've been watching Ore Monogatari and I just started reading Horimiya. I've been liking them and everything but they were pretty hard to find, and when I did I noticed the manga almost all seemed to be published by either Yen Press or Shojo Beat. Is this just because people don't read or watch them that much? It does now occur to me that almost none of my friends read much of this genre. Is that why its so hard to find? Anybody here like shojo or josei?
6965 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 9/8/16
I recently got into reading them. I like the ones I read so far. I recommend watching Yona of the dawn and then reading it. It is actually good. It's not too heavy on the romance and on the action portion. It has-to me-the right amount. If you want try reading some Korean Manhwa. One recommendation is Transparent cohabitation. It is good and not many chapters has been translated. Warning when looking for Korean Manhwa, you will find rather "distasteful" readings.
5320 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M / California
Offline
Posted 9/8/16
I like some shoujo romcoms, and I enjoyed Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju (I hope I got that right). Other than that, I haven't really had much experience with them, so I can't really say.
7886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
8500 / F / Apollo...
Offline
Posted 9/8/16
Shoujo/Josei stuff is my avenue! I really liked Saiunkoku Monogatari, Akatsuki no Yona, and Anatolia Story. If you want something comedic in nature, there's the Heroine Shikkaku manga. I do believe I laughed 'til I cried while reading that one. I also love those genres applying to anime.
6453 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 9/8/16
I have a little experience with them and I've enjoyed pretty much all the ones I've seen. Yona of the Dawn was good. I just finished Kaichou wa Maid sama and I enjoyed that. NANA is one of my favorite anime ever. I'm probably gonna watch Ao Haru Ride next. Shoujo tropes are kind of funny to me. Like the sudden aggressive embraces up against a wall make me laugh whenever I see them. It's also funny to me to see that in pretty much all the shoujo I've seen, 99% of the male cast is tall, toned, and/or hot.
4846 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 9/8/16

paul25454 wrote:

I recently got into reading them. I like the ones I read so far. I recommend watching Yona of the dawn and then reading it. It is actually good. It's not too heavy on the romance and on the action portion. It has-to me-the right amount. If you want try reading some Korean Manhwa. One recommendation is Transparent cohabitation. It is good and not many chapters has been translated. Warning when looking for Korean Manhwa, you will find rather "distasteful" readings.


I have read some manhwa (unless it was manhua, I cant really remember at this point) I gave it several chances but all the ones I came across were disgustingly derivative. I don't just mean plot threads and character similarities either, I mean like flat out ripping off designs and likenesses from other stories, settings, characters and even real fucking people. I swear every time I try a new manhwa I always see an obviously traced over image of a hollywood celebrity. And what makes it worse is that 80% of the characters arent traced over real people, so it just leads to complete artistic dissonance, which just makes the whole ripping other people off thing way more obvious. The worst one I can remember off the top of my head was this piece of shit called Baby. The main character was a series of traced over poses of Pamela Anderson (in her Barb Wire costume, because why not?) the plot setup of parasyte, the tank from Ghost in the Shell, the enemies who were literally just parademons and probably a bunch more shit I'm forgetting about. So yeah, thats why I dont read much Korean Manwha (unless I'm wrong and that was actually chinese, in which case feel free to ignore all the stuff I just said)
7886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
8500 / F / Apollo...
Offline
Posted 9/8/16

octorockandroll wrote:


paul25454 wrote:

I recently got into reading them. I like the ones I read so far. I recommend watching Yona of the dawn and then reading it. It is actually good. It's not too heavy on the romance and on the action portion. It has-to me-the right amount. If you want try reading some Korean Manhwa. One recommendation is Transparent cohabitation. It is good and not many chapters has been translated. Warning when looking for Korean Manhwa, you will find rather "distasteful" readings.


I have read some manhwa (unless it was manhua, I cant really remember at this point) I gave it several chances but all the ones I came across were disgustingly derivative. I don't just mean plot threads and character similarities either, I mean like flat out ripping off designs and likenesses from other stories, settings, characters and even real fucking people. I swear every time I try a new manhwa I always see an obviously traced over image of a hollywood celebrity. And what makes it worse is that 80% of the characters arent traced over real people, so it just leads to complete artistic dissonance, which just makes the whole ripping other people off thing way more obvious. The worst one I can remember off the top of my head was this piece of shit called Baby. The main character was a series of traced over poses of Pamela Anderson (in her Barb Wire costume, because why not?) the plot setup of parasyte, the tank from Ghost in the Shell, the enemies who were literally just parademons and probably a bunch more shit I'm forgetting about. So yeah, thats why I dont read much Korean Manwha (unless I'm wrong and that was actually chinese, in which case feel free to ignore all the stuff I just said)


Quick run-down: ManHWA = Korean, ManHUA = Chinese. And I do believe Manhwa for sure reads left-to-right.
4846 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 9/8/16

1stladyent wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


paul25454 wrote:

I recently got into reading them. I like the ones I read so far. I recommend watching Yona of the dawn and then reading it. It is actually good. It's not too heavy on the romance and on the action portion. It has-to me-the right amount. If you want try reading some Korean Manhwa. One recommendation is Transparent cohabitation. It is good and not many chapters has been translated. Warning when looking for Korean Manhwa, you will find rather "distasteful" readings.


I have read some manhwa (unless it was manhua, I cant really remember at this point) I gave it several chances but all the ones I came across were disgustingly derivative. I don't just mean plot threads and character similarities either, I mean like flat out ripping off designs and likenesses from other stories, settings, characters and even real fucking people. I swear every time I try a new manhwa I always see an obviously traced over image of a hollywood celebrity. And what makes it worse is that 80% of the characters arent traced over real people, so it just leads to complete artistic dissonance, which just makes the whole ripping other people off thing way more obvious. The worst one I can remember off the top of my head was this piece of shit called Baby. The main character was a series of traced over poses of Pamela Anderson (in her Barb Wire costume, because why not?) the plot setup of parasyte, the tank from Ghost in the Shell, the enemies who were literally just parademons and probably a bunch more shit I'm forgetting about. So yeah, thats why I dont read much Korean Manwha (unless I'm wrong and that was actually chinese, in which case feel free to ignore all the stuff I just said)


Quick run-down: ManHWA = Korean, ManHUA = Chinese. And I do believe Manhwa for sure reads left-to-right.


Ah, so it most likely was chinese then. My bad.
wyrvan 
59242 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M
Offline
Posted 9/8/16
Well if you want to give a josei anime a try CR actually has one.

Chihayafuru
http://www.crunchyroll.com/chihayafuru

Its a high school / sports drama with a nice dose of comedy and a underlying romance on a slow burn. The sport in the show is Karuta, a 300 year old competitive card game using Japanese poetry. Really good.
Posted 9/8/16
Yes. I enjoy Chihayafuru and more recently, Orange, I think they're both shoujo/josei.
161 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Belleville IL USA
Offline
Posted 9/9/16
Always loved this,

30054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/9/16
I like josei
qwueri 
16470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 9/9/16
I'm not usually into the generic rom-coms or reverse harems, but there's definitely some standout shoujo and josei out there. My Little Monster was really enjoyable.
4846 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 9/9/16

qwueri wrote:

I'm not usually into the generic rom-coms or reverse harems, but there's definitely some standout shoujo and josei out there. My Little Monster was really enjoyable.


For some reason I thought my little monster meant monster musume for some reason lol. Don't get me wrong, I like monster musume, but I think it's pretty clearly aimed at the other gender.
qwueri 
16470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 9/10/16 , edited 9/10/16

octorockandroll wrote:


qwueri wrote:

I'm not usually into the generic rom-coms or reverse harems, but there's definitely some standout shoujo and josei out there. My Little Monster was really enjoyable.


For some reason I thought my little monster meant monster musume for some reason lol. Don't get me wrong, I like monster musume, but I think it's pretty clearly aimed at the other gender.


Yeah, not quite.


First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.