First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Funimation and the Censorship Issue
Humms 
11631 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 9/13/16
How dare you speak of testament of sister new devil.

How dare you sir
lawdog 
44705 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/14/16

Humms wrote:

How dare you speak of testament of sister new devil.

How dare you sir


Indeed, I dare, though I don't know why I'm daring: A dislike of the show itself or a dislike of the slight editing of the broadcast version.
Humms 
11631 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 9/14/16

lawdog wrote:


Humms wrote:

How dare you speak of testament of sister new devil.

How dare you sir


Indeed, I dare, though I don't know why I'm daring: A dislike of the show itself or a dislike of the slight editing of the broadcast version.


censored or uncensored. That Anime is Cancer. Even watching This anime uncensored will not change a dam thing about it.

What would add to the show if it is uncensored? Nothing.

Look at Monster museum. Thats censored and I don't mind, and it offered a good viewing experience, so if you wanted to see it uncensored you buy the dam blue ray saving your internet and supporting the creators directly.

Just because something is censored, that doesnt make it impossible to watch, but on the other hand Sister new devil turned my brain to mush, and I'm sure high school whatever is along the same line. The fact that Sister new devil got a second season put on CR is just the fact that the demographic for anime itself is failing, and adding fuel to the fire by demanding that these shows be offered to you in their purest form free of charge.

Learn some respect.
42939 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/14/16

Humms wrote:


lawdog wrote:


Humms wrote:

How dare you speak of testament of sister new devil.

How dare you sir


Indeed, I dare, though I don't know why I'm daring: A dislike of the show itself or a dislike of the slight editing of the broadcast version.


censored or uncensored. That Anime is Cancer. Even watching This anime uncensored will not change a dam thing about it.

What would add to the show if it is uncensored? Nothing.

Look at Monster museum. Thats censored and I don't mind, and it offered a good viewing experience, so if you wanted to see it uncensored you buy the dam blue ray saving your internet and supporting the creators directly.

Just because something is censored, that doesnt make it impossible to watch, but on the other hand Sister new devil turned my brain to mush, and I'm sure high school whatever is along the same line. The fact that Sister new devil got a second season put on CR is just the fact that the demographic for anime itself is failing, and adding fuel to the fire by demanding that these shows be offered to you in their purest form free of charge.

Learn some respect.


We get it dude, you don't care for fan service. I understand, I have to be in the mood for it myself but there's nothing wrong with a little T&A now and again. Some of us pay for streaming so we don't have to deal with physical media. The key part there being "pay for" so it's not like we're wanting something for nothing. As far as respect goes, maybe I'm misreading the tone of your post but you're more likely to have it reciprocated if you present some yourself.
Humms 
11631 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 9/15/16

mlchanges wrote:


Humms wrote:


lawdog wrote:


Humms wrote:

How dare you speak of testament of sister new devil.

How dare you sir


Indeed, I dare, though I don't know why I'm daring: A dislike of the show itself or a dislike of the slight editing of the broadcast version.


censored or uncensored. That Anime is Cancer. Even watching This anime uncensored will not change a dam thing about it.

What would add to the show if it is uncensored? Nothing.

Look at Monster museum. Thats censored and I don't mind, and it offered a good viewing experience, so if you wanted to see it uncensored you buy the dam blue ray saving your internet and supporting the creators directly.

Just because something is censored, that doesnt make it impossible to watch, but on the other hand Sister new devil turned my brain to mush, and I'm sure high school whatever is along the same line. The fact that Sister new devil got a second season put on CR is just the fact that the demographic for anime itself is failing, and adding fuel to the fire by demanding that these shows be offered to you in their purest form free of charge.

Learn some respect.


We get it dude, you don't care for fan service. I understand, I have to be in the mood for it myself but there's nothing wrong with a little T&A now and again. Some of us pay for streaming so we don't have to deal with physical media. The key part there being "pay for" so it's not like we're wanting something for nothing. As far as respect goes, maybe I'm misreading the tone of your post but you're more likely to have it reciprocated if you present some yourself.



Nope. You don't understand how people work do You?

Give them something uncensored on the Internet and they will watch it forever over and over again. It doesn't matter how many Gigs of data or bandwidth people will use, as long as they get it right then and there.

Is that exactly what buying the DVD/ blue ray should result in? Buying something to watch it over and over again.

I didn't say I don't like fan service, I don't mind it, I said that I don't care if it is censored. I just care about watching a good anime in combination.

Just because I pay a subscription, that does not mean I should be entitled to something fully in regards to fan service, if someone only wants viewers to watch an anime censored, so be it, they license it for streaming in whichever way they choose.

If funimation has to have it uncensored so be it, if CR has to have it censored so be it, I don't care. Paying for a subscription is peanuts compared to actually buying the DVD/ blue ray.

1 year subscription is pretty close to buying a full series.


1020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 9/15/16

Humms wrote:
Nope. You don't understand how people work do You?

Give them something uncensored on the Internet and they will watch it forever over and over again. It doesn't matter how many Gigs of data or bandwidth people will use, as long as they get it right then and there.

Is that exactly what buying the DVD/ blue ray should result in? Buying something to watch it over and over again.

I didn't say I don't like fan service, I don't mind it, I said that I don't care if it is censored. I just care about watching a good anime in combination.

Just because I pay a subscription, that does not mean I should be entitled to something fully in regards to fan service, if someone only wants viewers to watch an anime censored, so be it, they license it for streaming in whichever way they choose.

If funimation has to have it uncensored so be it, if CR has to have it censored so be it, I don't care. Paying for a subscription is peanuts compared to actually buying the DVD/ blue ray.

1 year subscription is pretty close to buying a full series.




You do realize that this is just your opinion on the matter, right?
What he is or is not entitled to as a customer is entirely subjective, and how much YOU personally dislike the series has nothing to do with the argument he's putting forth.

There are plenty is shows that are being censored, some in very ridiculous ways; like jojo's bizarre adventure where they change character's names and attack-names cause of copyright censorship as they're all tributes to band-names and songs.

By all means, the deaf viewer or someone that's simply unable to listen to the show, thus relies on subtitles, will miss out on entire themes of the show cause of this.


Despite my being able to understand that Crunchyroll will settle for the services they have, doesn't mean that it can't be improved, cause it really can. (Specially when it comes to updating content)
Humms 
11631 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 9/15/16 , edited 9/15/16

eviliou wrote:


Humms wrote:
Nope. You don't understand how people work do You?

Give them something uncensored on the Internet and they will watch it forever over and over again. It doesn't matter how many Gigs of data or bandwidth people will use, as long as they get it right then and there.

Is that exactly what buying the DVD/ blue ray should result in? Buying something to watch it over and over again.

I didn't say I don't like fan service, I don't mind it, I said that I don't care if it is censored. I just care about watching a good anime in combination.

Just because I pay a subscription, that does not mean I should be entitled to something fully in regards to fan service, if someone only wants viewers to watch an anime censored, so be it, they license it for streaming in whichever way they choose.

If funimation has to have it uncensored so be it, if CR has to have it censored so be it, I don't care. Paying for a subscription is peanuts compared to actually buying the DVD/ blue ray.

1 year subscription is pretty close to buying a full series.




You do realize that this is just your opinion on the matter, right?
What he is or is not entitled to as a customer is entirely subjective, and how much YOU personally dislike the series has nothing to do with the argument he's putting forth.

There are plenty is shows that are being censored, some in very ridiculous ways; like jojo's bizarre adventure where they change character's names and attack-names cause of copyright censorship as they're all tributes to band-names and songs.

By all means, the deaf viewer or someone that's simply unable to listen to the show, thus relies on subtitles, will miss out on entire themes of the show cause of this.


Despite my being able to understand that Crunchyroll will settle for the services they have, doesn't mean that it can't be improved, cause it really can. (Specially when it comes to updating content)





Money. Welcome to the world of the plastic beach.
1020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 9/15/16

Humms wrote:


Money. Welcome to the world of the plastic beach.


Welp! that was a disappointing argument.

Just cause something/one has a justifiable excuse, doesn't mean that it's okay.
Humms 
11631 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 9/15/16

eviliou wrote:


Humms wrote:


Money. Welcome to the world of the plastic beach.


Welp! that was a disappointing argument.

Just cause something/one has a justifiable excuse, doesn't mean that it's okay.


You really wanted to argue about this? Do you really want to have this discussion right now?

1020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 9/16/16

Humms wrote:

You really wanted to argue about this? Do you really want to have this discussion right now?



Arguing and having an argument are two very different things... You seem very hot-headed.

And why would anyone be writing in a forum besides the sake of discussion?
750 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Online
Posted 9/16/16
lawdog, please don't give Funimation any ideas.
lawdog 
44705 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/16/16

Humms wrote:


lawdog wrote:


Humms wrote:

How dare you speak of testament of sister new devil.

How dare you sir


Indeed, I dare, though I don't know why I'm daring: A dislike of the show itself or a dislike of the slight editing of the broadcast version.


censored or uncensored. That Anime is Cancer. Even watching This anime uncensored will not change a dam thing about it.

What would add to the show if it is uncensored? Nothing.

Look at Monster museum. Thats censored and I don't mind, and it offered a good viewing experience, so if you wanted to see it uncensored you buy the dam blue ray saving your internet and supporting the creators directly.

Just because something is censored, that doesnt make it impossible to watch, but on the other hand Sister new devil turned my brain to mush, and I'm sure high school whatever is along the same line. The fact that Sister new devil got a second season put on CR is just the fact that the demographic for anime itself is failing, and adding fuel to the fire by demanding that these shows be offered to you in their purest form free of charge.

Learn some respect.


Would you like to me to show some respect? No problem:

RESPECT


There ya go. No idea what I'm respecting, as there's nothing I've disrespected, so that respect is dedicated to my lovely wife.

Okay, you 've made a number of errors, starting with you've ASSUMED a great deal, and you've failed reading comprehension for this thread.

What my question is about is the potential of inequality between 2 sites which have supposedly entered into a partnership of equality. Obviously, if one site has uncensored materials and another site is stuck with censored materials, then the partnership is not equal.

Free? I am a paying premium member of both CR and Funi and used to be of The Anime Network. Ergo, you are flat out wrong that I am "demanding these shows be offered ... in their purest form free of charge." I've been buying anime since long before you were born.

Purchase the DVD/BRs? I do that when possible, supporting the creative talent (Sister New Devil is used as an example, and is not available on DVD/BR) I've had a BA in Communications, covering all the media disciplines, for longer than you've been alive, have actually worked in the radio, print, TV and film industries, and have forgotten more about IP issues than you've ever known.

You want to have your cake and eat it, too. One the one hand you're saying we should support the creators of the anime by paying our good money...and then you say that there's nothing wrong with censorship of what the creators created.

I accept the fact that we rarely get uncensored versions of shows here on their initial broadcast, due to the licensing agreements between anime studios and satellite broadcaster AT-X in Japan. But you're quite blithe in assuming that any show will be unaffected by censorship, especially shows you've never watched. The watchability of a show can be minimally impacted by censorship, severely affected, or somewhere in between. Again, you ASSUME. You cannot assume you know the degree to which a show has been censored unless you've seen everything uncensored. Oh, sure, if all you have is a patch here and a patch there, you might come close. But even there, the impact is not the same. I remember a soap opera parody movie, Young Doctors in Love which offers a good example. There's a Christmas party at some big wheel's home, and a couple go to the door, and in the censored for TV version, are greeted by a scantily clad busty young woman. In the original version, the young busty woman is topless. There's a major difference in the impact of that scene, and what it tells you about the head honcho doctor whose party they're attending (fun parody movie, btw, with a very deep cast). It's like censoring the fart scene or the N-words from Blazing Saddles, or watching the chariot race in Ben-Hur (Charlton Heston version) as it was edited for TV broadcast back in the days of CRT TVs. Censorship/sever editing ALWAYS impacts a show. The only question is to what degree.

Nudity has an impact. The saying "the naked truth" isn't "the clothed truth" for a reason. Nudity has an impact that is not there when it is censored (now, deliberate concealment of nudity by the creative talent has its own impact).

You've also ASSUMED, with the perils that go with that, that the excellent High School DxD (best ED, ever, in season 1) is on the same level as Testament of Sister New Devil. Now, if you hated all fan service shows, you would still be wrong, but there would be no hope of changing your mind. Yet you've never watched DxD, closing your mind, despite the fact that you've stated that there are fan service shows that you enjoy.

As to those who do want to watch for free or at a basic low cost, people are free to wish for whatever they want, but that doesn't mean they'll automatically reject alternatives, as you imply in your diatribe. For example, while I wish my wife was double-jointed and was a natural DD-cup, I'm quite happy with her as the non-double-jointed C-cup she is.

But you completely missed and misunderstood my point. It is to the detriment of CR if there are uncensored dub shows over on Funi if the same shows are only available censored on CR.

And, of course, you ignore the 800 pound gorilla in the room: the staggering availability of bootleg websites where zero money gets back to the anime creators. We need strong, viable licensed commercial sites to be able to keep streaming money back to the original copyright holders so that anime continues to be a viable source of income. This makes it important that any deal between legitimate sites that is supposed to be of equality, actually be one of equality, as we are better served by more legitimate sites. A healthy Funi and a healthy CR benefit the anime industry. The day might come for consolidation or buyouts, but that's not what this is purported to be.

Respect? I'm not the one mistakenly dissing people, nor am I the one prejudging shows I've never seen, nor am I chastising people for enjoying shows that utilize adult humor.
lawdog 
44705 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/16/16

Koitenshin wrote:

lawdog, please don't give Funimation any ideas.


This is something that has either already been settled one, way or another, or will be shortly. I find it hard to believe that one party missed on this issue, but I find it even harder to believe that both parties would've missed on it. Meaning if CR somehow forgot about it, I'd be absolutely shocked in Funi wasn't aware of the issue.

If by some chance the parties didn't address this in their agreement, it's best to clear it up now, rather than later.
104399 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 9/16/16
The outcome of this issue is actually of more importance to current Funimation subscribers that prefer dubs. For a long time now, for subscribers, they've updated both the subbed and dubbed versions with the uncensored home video versions after those were received and made ready.

Given that the plan is for most current subs (and apparently all future ones) to be on CR instead, if these don't get updated, then it is a net negative for those who subscribed to Funimation but preferred subs. There is also the specter of what will happen with those few sub-only home video releases Funimation now does.

In contrast, CR not getting updated versions would at least be "business as usual".


The best place to ask about this would be on the Funimation forums (since they would have had the ultimate approval or veto on this), but those have been down since well before the partnership, and probably won't return the launch of their new site.


Sadly, I'm expecting CR won't be getting updated versions of titles as Funimation (and probably even CR) gets the home video materials. On the bright side, I'm considerably more hopeful that all the catalog titles CR will receive will be the home video versions (provided Funimation currently has that version).
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.