Post Reply How can I watch DVDs on my laptop?
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/14/16
I use to be able to watch movies on my laptop but ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 and recover my laptop I can't watch any DVDs. Has anyone suffered from this? Got any advice on how to watch DVDs on my laptop again. I got an app call VLC and nothing changed. I don't know what to do anymore. Please help me.


Enjoy!!!
11700 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 9/14/16
Did you install VLC before or after the upgrade to Windows 10? If it was before then uninstall VLC, download the latest version and reinstall.

Do you watch DVDs from different regions? If so, you may have locked your DVD drive to one region and can't play DVDs from the other regions.
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/14/16

MidoriNoTora wrote:

Did you install VLC before or after the upgrade to Windows 10? If it was before then uninstall VLC, download the latest version and reinstall.

Do you watch DVDs from different regions? If so, you may have locked your DVD drive to one region and can't play DVDs from the other regions.


I just installed VLC a hour ago.
10613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 9/14/16

qualeshia3 wrote:
Please help me. Enjoy!!!

mixed feelings...lol :p

maybe try daemon tools - assuming it works with windows 10
82386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / Right behind you!
Offline
Posted 9/14/16
Are you playing directly from the disc or did you rip or copy it to HDD? If you're playing directly from the disc does the laptop even register the disc in the drive?

If VLC fails you can try MPC-HC as well https://mpc-hc.org/
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/14/16

namealreadytaken wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:
Please help me. Enjoy!!!

mixed feelings...lol :p

maybe try daemon tools - assuming it works with windows 10


What is Daemon Tools?
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/14/16

DigitalDeviant wrote:

Are you playing directly from the disc or did you rip or copy it to HDD? If you're playing directly from the disc does the laptop even register the disc in the drive?

If VLC fails you can try MPC-HC as well https://mpc-hc.org/


I'm playing directly from the disc.
82386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / Right behind you!
Offline
Posted 9/14/16
If you go to windows explorer does it show drive and the disc in it?
58668 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Dallas, TX
Online
Posted 9/14/16

qualeshia3 wrote:


DigitalDeviant wrote:

Are you playing directly from the disc or did you rip or copy it to HDD? If you're playing directly from the disc does the laptop even register the disc in the drive?

If VLC fails you can try MPC-HC as well https://mpc-hc.org/


I'm playing directly from the disc.


Might sound like a stupid question, but are you opening the disc in VLC, or the default Win10 player?
10613 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 9/14/16

qualeshia3 wrote:


namealreadytaken wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:
Please help me. Enjoy!!!

mixed feelings...lol :p

maybe try daemon tools - assuming it works with windows 10


What is Daemon Tools?


well, since you're using physical discs, that doesn't apply. DT allows to mount virtual drives, but that's not what you need.
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/14/16

eyeofpain wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


DigitalDeviant wrote:

Are you playing directly from the disc or did you rip or copy it to HDD? If you're playing directly from the disc does the laptop even register the disc in the drive?

If VLC fails you can try MPC-HC as well https://mpc-hc.org/


I'm playing directly from the disc.


Might sound like a stupid question, but are you opening the disc in VLC, or the default Win10 player?


Default Windows 10 player. VLC won't work for me.
30044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/14/16 , edited 9/14/16
Need a few information from you
Does any other disc work for you?
Do me a favor and bring up any Windows Explorer folder and type into the address bar D:\ to see if your disc drive pops up.


If the disc drive doesn't show up and you get a error message saying the path to disc drive does not exist, do this

Try going into the Device Manager for me and checking if your system see your disc drive. If you see a symbol, let me know, the problem will be slight more complicated but can be worked out.



Describe to me what you see and let me know.
42405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/15/16

Aoikihen wrote:

Need a few information from you
Does any other disc work for you?
Do me a favor and bring up any Windows Explorer folder and type into the address bar D:\ to see if your disc drive pops up.


If the disc drive doesn't show up and you get a error message saying the path to disc drive does not exist, do this

Try going into the Device Manager for me and checking if your system see your disc drive. If you see a symbol, let me know, the problem will be slight more complicated but can be worked out.



Describe to me what you see and let me know.


Audio books seem to work but a DVD does not.
30044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/16/16

qualeshia3

Audio books seem to work but a DVD does not.


Sorry for the delay reply. College and other things.

Look at your VLC Preference settings, the video output might be switch off or to visualizer for music/audio only.


Try VLC Preference settings first and we'll go from there.


It could be your Registry which I don't recommend changing because it will mess up things quickly unless you make a copy of that registry.

You must be logged in to post.