First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply washington university bans "offensive" words , such as male, female
36966 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/14/16

Xxanthar wrote:


qwueri wrote:

So no, the university is not banning anything. It's a single professor with stupidly aggressive methods for pushing their views of things, that possibly exceeds the campus policies.

*Oh, and it's an article from last year.


Thanks to the teacher's union, idiots like this can't be fired, so they sit there and indoctrinate kids with their idiotic views.

edit: Oh, and the year of the article rally doesn't matter... you can find one like it every September from the 1960's on I bet.


Outdated articles do matter.
579 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F
Offline
Posted 9/14/16
While I personally think that some degree of political correctness is necessary, I do think this teacher took things way too far (especially when banning the terms "Male" and "female". I mean WTF? I can understand why someone might get offended by those other terms, but "Male" and "Female"? Really?!)
qwueri 
16424 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Online
Posted 9/14/16

LadyPsychic wrote:

While I personally think that some degree of political correctness is necessary, I do think this teacher took things way too far (especially when banning the terms "Male" and "female". I mean WTF? I can understand why someone might get offended by those other terms, but "Male" and "Female"? Really?!)


The professor was banning the reference of male/female in relation to man/woman. Not outright banning reference to sex, just hamfistedly highlighting the difference between sex and gender.
579 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / F
Offline
Posted 9/14/16

qwueri wrote:


LadyPsychic wrote:

While I personally think that some degree of political correctness is necessary, I do think this teacher took things way too far (especially when banning the terms "Male" and "female". I mean WTF? I can understand why someone might get offended by those other terms, but "Male" and "Female"? Really?!)


The professor was banning the reference of male/female in relation to man/woman. Not outright banning reference to sex, just hamfistedly highlighting the difference between sex and gender.


Ah, I see. Well, I do kind of see what the professor was trying to do, but in my opinion it was the wrong way to go about it.

27740 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 9/14/16
Humanity truly has gone too far..... and with that said, I think I've had enough Internet for today.
3415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 9/14/16
illegal aliens will ruin us all!
NotTheAliens, ItWasTheAliens, Ba...baka
10813 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Auburn, Washington
Offline
Posted 9/14/16

LadyPsychic wrote:

While I personally think that some degree of political correctness is necessary, I do think this teacher took things way too far


Most people taking this sort of class tend to be women, or at the very least feminists. They do not know what it is to tiptoe around the terms women consider offensive, because they agree those terms are offensive. It's a reflection of their own values, so they take to it quite readily.

So it can be highly instructive to hand these people a collection of rules that reflect OTHER values, and see how they respond to someone else's wishes and priorities intruding on their own lives.

And honestly, screaming to the board about their free speech looks strangely familiar.
4583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / Decemberunderground
Online
Posted 9/14/16 , edited 9/14/16
So writing down your gender on a form that asks you if your male or female is offensive? All these years I never knew!
16741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 9/14/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Centers of accredited higher education yall.


It's sad.... We are regressing....
5207 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
65 / M / Arizona
Online
Posted 9/14/16
Don't know if the following link belongs on this thread. I read it altogether toooooo many years ago. Everytime I hear about equality, pc or other such things I always think of this story and how bad things could go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Bergeron
3415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 9/14/16

Kerst wrote:
All these years I never knew!
insted write in your ID number please, such for every hum**... oh wait it contains man?!..

155 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Belleville IL USA
Offline
Posted 9/14/16
Political Correctness is the new racism. Those that support it claim they are protecting someones rights while destroying others. To many people want to twist words around to their point of view claiming you're doing something wrong when they're the ones causing the conflict.
4583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / Decemberunderground
Online
Posted 9/14/16

GooseMcDucks wrote:


Kerst wrote:
All these years I never knew!
insted write in your ID number please, such for every hum**... oh wait it contains man?!..



These guys are truley heros, wait it contains HE!
3415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 9/14/16

Kerst wrote:
These guys are truley heros, wait it contains HE!
he..he... hihi...
He man!


27740 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 9/14/16
I can't imagine all the people I've offended by referring to them as "white male" or "white female". It is truly an abhorrent mistake that only a Caucasian cis male like me would make. Now excuse me while I atone for my most grievous of sins.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.