First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply islamic animal sacrifices turn streets into "rivers" of blood
7057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Earth
Offline
Posted 9/14/16
As long as they get eaten I don't really care. They could use the blood as fertilizer, but I think that might be against their religion.
17191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 9/14/16
Watch Earthlings, you'll see what's really gross.
1105 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/14/16 , edited 9/14/16
Doesn't Dhaka have some of the worst water management and sewage systems in the world? If so then this isn't surprising since Bangladesh floods if you so much as look at it funny. Poorly timed annual animal sacrifices coinciding with the usual bullshit to make a third world city even more shitty.

Still... I'd be lying if I said the scene didn't look really unsettling.
Humms 
10583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 9/14/16
So whats your point?

People have been doing this for a long time. At least they do it for a reason and not stack piles of animal corpses letting them rot.


You know not everywhere has cell phones and computers, Not everyone has Vehicles or sky scrapers.

I dont live there, so what say do I have, they at least feed the less fortunate, at least this isnt senseless slaughter.

Sure I dont agree with most if not all of their practices, but this isn't making my streets run red with blood. Let them deal with it.
614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / The Ivory Tower
Offline
Posted 9/14/16 , edited 9/14/16
This is the part where, instead of making fun of people for having animal sacrifice in their religion and shaming less-developed people and areas of the world for their poor infrastructure, you should realize that this is a news story in our culture because we consider ourselves superior and feed upon the plight of the rest of the world - both emotionally and literally. I can only think that you shared it because you wanted to participate in that felt superiority and gain points with friends. This is how the news media works, and how it controls us.
runec 
28306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/14/16

auroraloose wrote:
This is the part where, instead of making fun of people for having animal sacrifice in their religion and shaming less-developed people and areas of the world for their poor infrastructure, you should realize that this is a news story in our culture because we consider ourselves superior and feed upon the plight of the rest of the world - both emotionally and literally. I can only think that you shared it because you wanted to participate in that felt superiority and gain points with friends.


This is less superiority and more "Brown people are violent and scary so we should build a wall, ban them, bomb them, etc".
18746 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Online
Posted 9/14/16

runec wrote:


auroraloose wrote:
This is the part where, instead of making fun of people for having animal sacrifice in their religion and shaming less-developed people and areas of the world for their poor infrastructure, you should realize that this is a news story in our culture because we consider ourselves superior and feed upon the plight of the rest of the world - both emotionally and literally. I can only think that you shared it because you wanted to participate in that felt superiority and gain points with friends.


This is less superiority and more "Brown people are violent and scary so we should build a wall, ban them, bomb them, etc".


this is more like, I didn't think twice about the animal sacrifice but of all of the blood in the streets, would you want to wade through that? no
7057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Earth
Offline
Posted 9/14/16

runec wrote:


auroraloose wrote:
This is the part where, instead of making fun of people for having animal sacrifice in their religion and shaming less-developed people and areas of the world for their poor infrastructure, you should realize that this is a news story in our culture because we consider ourselves superior and feed upon the plight of the rest of the world - both emotionally and literally. I can only think that you shared it because you wanted to participate in that felt superiority and gain points with friends.


This is less superiority and more "Brown people are violent and scary so we should build a wall, ban them, bomb them, etc".


Maybe in your mind... Maybe it's you who has a problem?
runec 
28306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/14/16

redokami wrote:
this is more like, I didn't think twice about the animal sacrifice but of all of the blood in the streets, would you want to wade through that? no


Given the infrastructure there, wading through animal blood is probably an improvement. >.>




Xxanthar wrote:
Maybe it's you who has a problem?


If that were the case the thread title would match the article and we wouldn't need to discuss context.
7057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Earth
Offline
Posted 9/14/16

runec wrote:


redokami wrote:
this is more like, I didn't think twice about the animal sacrifice but of all of the blood in the streets, would you want to wade through that? no


Given the infrastructure there, wading through animal blood is probably an improvement. >.>




Xxanthar wrote:
Maybe it's you who has a problem?


If that were the case the thread title would match the article and we wouldn't need to discuss context.


This is how people have a discussion they talk about things that interest them.. Why don't you challenge the points that you specifically disagree with and share your reasons. Don't just paint everyone as racist and storm off.
7057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Earth
Offline
Posted 9/14/16 , edited 9/14/16
I think the title fits, maybe it's not a literal river of blood but it sure come close. Headlines are always hyped.
614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / The Ivory Tower
Offline
Posted 9/14/16
Be nice, runec. Remember that these people aren't born smelling blood - and most of them don't actually hold the full-on racist platform of superior and inferior races. It is the massive social structure that is permeated with oppressive power relations, and these are taught to new members of society. People can follow the oppressive modes of thinking without realizing it or meaning to, and they can even do it thinking that they're being entirely honest and kind. So people will say things that might ultimately come from the belief that "brown people are violent and scary" without the person actually believing such a thing. This doesn't mean it's okay for them to think such things, but it does mean that you shouldn't talk like everyone who does is a white supremacist. And you should know that this is how social forces work - and that the way you talk makes things worse.

Your turn, redokami and Xxanthar: I highly doubt that this Dhaka story came from anything other than a desire by the Western media to take advantage of Orientalism to get publicity. The article is literally called, "Animal sacrifices turn Dhaka streets into rivers of blood"; how loaded of a statement can you make? Put a lot more simply, the media knows that we in the West find Islam and Bangladesh weird and inferior, and people always like to think of themselves as superior. So it gives us stories like this, so we can feel good about ourselves. And, as humans do, we talk about it and perpetuate it with our friends in order to share that good feeling. So much of internet conversations are like this. And the fact is, it's very unlikely that you saw this story and posted it solely because you thought the "rivers of blood" sounded gross, redokami. Rather, the whole scenario of media influence, cultural superiority, and virtue signaling worked itself upon you - unawares or not. Because you're a human, and can't help it. This is why awareness campaigns are so important, and why the problem isn't that tons of people are actually full-on evil racists but rather that they don't understand themselves.

614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / The Ivory Tower
Offline
Posted 9/14/16
Here's the Wikipedia page on sensationalism; I suggest reading it.
13618 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Australia
Offline
Posted 9/15/16

auroraloose wrote:

Here's the Wikipedia page on sensationalism; I suggest reading it.


Ewwwww, reading, what the fark.
24966 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Online
Posted 9/15/16

auroraloose wrote:

This is the part where, instead of making fun of people for having animal sacrifice in their religion and shaming less-developed people and areas of the world for their poor infrastructure, you should realize that this is a news story in our culture because we consider ourselves superior and feed upon the plight of the rest of the world - both emotionally and literally. I can only think that you shared it because you wanted to participate in that felt superiority and gain points with friends. This is how the news media works, and how it controls us.


Right, because we don't get stories about the rivers of lead in Flint, Michigan...

Tinfoil hats off, people. There's dumb shit happening in cities all over the world and the news likes to tell us all about it.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.