First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply islamic animal sacrifices turn streets into "rivers" of blood
runec 
28294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 9/16/16

redokami wrote:
blood is dirty


Ironically, Islam agrees with you which is why there is a "river of blood" to begin with. -.-
18722 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 9/16/16

Rangpur wrote:

edit: no, no, no. I shouldn't just be snarky. Instead, here is some data for context.

The most populous independent city in the state of Virginia is Virginia Beach. The metropolitan area of Viriginia Beach has a population of approximately 2 million people, as of the 2010 census. Virginia Beach has a total area of 497 square miles.

The city of Dhaka, Bangladesh has a population of roughly 10 million. Dhaka has a total area of 102 square miles.

Dhaka has five times the population of your state's biggest city, crammed into about 1/5th of the space. It is also in the middle of its monsoon season, which puts a great deal of pressure on its drainage & sewage infrastructure. Consquently it overflowed in the middle of an Islamic religious festival.

There are many lessons you could draw from this article. I see it as an illustration of the need for infrastructure spending to match the needs of the populace, and regulatory agencies to monitor the conditions of livestock and the factories, farms and stores where they're turned into food. You saw it as an opportunity to share a super gross article after pinning on the word 'Islamic' that doesn't even appear in the original headline. The interesting thing to me is that the article also makes it very clear this happened because the monsoons overwhelmed the sewer system.

And yet that's not how you framed it. Why did you frame it that way, OP? You needn't answer in the thread. Knowledge is easily accquired online these days, but Wisdom must be cultivated within the self. Namaste.


clearly it IS Islamic ritual, but who cares? I don't, that is not what the ARTICLE is named but that is what HAPPENED, so there fore I said in the headline, basically due to a Islamic ritual and yes a monsoon, because a monsoon by itself doesn't create blood does it this happened,



why is everyone attacking me? jesus Christ, its how I worded things not how I think
18722 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 9/16/16
can you imagine the diseases they are being exposed to by all that blood? what if someone has a open cut? come on guys think about it
15039 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 9/16/16
I noticed this as one of the top threads, and I have to say: this is the most metal thing I've seen in a long time.


redokami wrote:

can you imagine the diseases they are being exposed to by all that blood? what if someone has a open cut? come on guys think about it


I can now, thanks...


auroraloose wrote:
What you need to do is demonstrate to me that your thinking here was not, in fact, worked upon by media influence, cultural superiority and virtue signaling. Because it looks exactly like that's what happened.


On the contrary, you are the one who needs to demonstrate that your thinking was not influenced by prejudice. Your entire argument rests upon two assumptions:
1. that western media presents news articles about non-western countries to play on cultural prejudice, and
2. that westerners react to news articles about non-western countries due to their cultural prejudice.
By this I mean that, while you have indeed made other claims in support of your argument, it is impossible to derive the conclusion that this article was posted due to cultural prejudice from your argument if these two assumptions are removed. I am not deriving these from any sort of social science or media and communications theory about how people, or westerners, or the media, or any other subcategory of people, act in general. I am deriving them from the content of your posts.

In case you aren't seeing where I'm going with this, while assumptions may indeed be valid for some or even many actions taken by people of 'western' culture, applying them to this specific case is an example of cultural prejudice against westerners. I don't like revealing information about myself online, but I am from the west, and I don't view Islam* or Bengali people as inferior (in fact, as far as you know, I'm a Muslim myself). As a result, I don't appreciate it when you say things like, "we as westerners view Islam and Bangladesh as weird and inferior." If you feel like you were raised in a culture that taught you to look at the world that way, fine - after all, I can't honestly say I think Islam always receives a fair shake from western commentators. Don't assume everyone else raised in the 'same' culture as you was molded by it in the same way you were, because that's the same kind of assumption westerners who assume Muslims are all terrorists are making.

Of course, there's the possibility you're only continuing to reply to this person because you're yanking their chain and that makes you feel good, in which case there was no point in my writing anything. I know that there are people who really do think the way you claim to, so I thought it was worth bringing this up anyways. redokami, you should probably stop replying. Maybe the people saying this stuff believe it, and maybe they're just trying to rile you up; in either case, the replies you are making probably won't make them stop, and you don't owe it to them to prove that you aren't prejudiced.

*I think the claim that Islam is a 'non-western' religion is actually debatable - it is a significant religion in the Balkans, and played a major role in the history of Spain and Portugal. Up until the end of World War I it was the dominant religion of one of the major European powers; the successor state of that country is currently under consideration to join the European Union. But that's just an interesting thought topic, and is irrelevant to the issue of whether or not people view Islam as 'non-western.'
18722 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 9/16/16 , edited 9/16/16

gghadur77 wrote:

I noticed this as one of the top threads, and I have to say: this is the most metal thing I've seen in a long time.


redokami wrote:

can you imagine the diseases they are being exposed to by all that blood? what if someone has a open cut? come on guys think about it


I can now, thanks...


auroraloose wrote:
What you need to do is demonstrate to me that your thinking here was not, in fact, worked upon by media influence, cultural superiority and virtue signaling. Because it looks exactly like that's what happened.


On the contrary, you are the one who needs to demonstrate that your thinking was not influenced by prejudice. Your entire argument rests upon two assumptions:
1. that western media presents news articles about non-western countries to play on cultural prejudice, and
2. that westerners react to news articles about non-western countries due to their cultural prejudice.
By this I mean that, while you have indeed made other claims in support of your argument, it is impossible to derive the conclusion that this article was posted due to cultural prejudice from your argument if these two assumptions are removed. I am not deriving these from any sort of social science or media and communications theory about how people, or westerners, or the media, or any other subcategory of people, act in general. I am deriving them from the content of your posts.

In case you aren't seeing where I'm going with this, while assumptions may indeed be valid for some or even many actions taken by people of 'western' culture, applying them to this specific case is an example of cultural prejudice against westerners. I don't like revealing information about myself online, but I am from the west, and I don't view Islam* or Bengali people as inferior (in fact, as far as you know, I'm a Muslim myself). As a result, I don't appreciate it when you say things like, "we as westerners view Islam and Bangladesh as weird and inferior." If you feel like you were raised in a culture that taught you to look at the world that way, fine - after all, I can't honestly say I think Islam always receives a fair shake from western commentators. Don't assume everyone else raised in the 'same' culture as you was molded by it in the same way you were, because that's the same kind of assumption westerners who assume Muslims are all terrorists are making.

Of course, there's the possibility you're only continuing to reply to this person because you're yanking their chain and that makes you feel good, in which case there was no point in my writing anything. I know that there are people who really do think the way you claim to, so I thought it was worth bringing this up anyways. redokami, you should probably stop replying. Maybe the people saying this stuff believe it, and maybe they're just trying to rile you up; in either case, the replies you are making probably won't make them stop, and you don't owe it to them to prove that you aren't prejudiced.

*I think the claim that Islam is a 'non-western' religion is actually debatable - it is a significant religion in the Balkans, and played a major role in the history of Spain and Portugal. Up until the end of World War I it was the dominant religion of one of the major European powers; the successor state of that country is currently under consideration to join the European Union. But that's just an interesting thought topic, and is irrelevant to the issue of whether or not people view Islam as 'non-western.'


THANK you gg, finally someone, I was tired of coming back here just to come to more shit posts, and trying to "justify" myself when I really didn't need to because I was not being prejudiced, racist, bigoted, you name it
thank you

edit: I see what you did there ahue "most metal thing ive seen"
606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / The Ivory Tower
Offline
Posted 9/16/16 , edited 9/16/16

gghadur77 wrote:

On the contrary, you are the one who needs to demonstrate that your thinking was not influenced by prejudice. Your entire argument rests upon two assumptions:
1. that western media presents news articles about non-western countries to play on cultural prejudice, and
2. that westerners react to news articles about non-western countries due to their cultural prejudice.
By this I mean that, while you have indeed made other claims in support of your argument, it is impossible to derive the conclusion that this article was posted due to cultural prejudice from your argument if these two assumptions are removed. I am not deriving these from any sort of social science or media and communications theory about how people, or westerners, or the media, or any other subcategory of people, act in general. I am deriving them from the content of your posts.

In case you aren't seeing where I'm going with this, while assumptions may indeed be valid for some or even many actions taken by people of 'western' culture, applying them to this specific case is an example of cultural prejudice against westerners. I don't like revealing information about myself online, but I am from the west, and I don't view Islam* or Bengali people as inferior (in fact, as far as you know, I'm a Muslim myself). As a result, I don't appreciate it when you say things like, "we as westerners view Islam and Bangladesh as weird and inferior." If you feel like you were raised in a culture that taught you to look at the world that way, fine - after all, I can't honestly say I think Islam always receives a fair shake from western commentators. Don't assume everyone else raised in the 'same' culture as you was molded by it in the same way you were, because that's the same kind of assumption westerners who assume Muslims are all terrorists are making.

Of course, there's the possibility you're only continuing to reply to this person because you're yanking their chain and that makes you feel good, in which case there was no point in my writing anything. I know that there are people who really do think the way you claim to, so I thought it was worth bringing this up anyways. redokami, you should probably stop replying. Maybe the people saying this stuff believe it, and maybe they're just trying to rile you up; in either case, the replies you are making probably won't make them stop, and you don't owe it to them to prove that you aren't prejudiced.

*I think the claim that Islam is a 'non-western' religion is actually debatable - it is a significant religion in the Balkans, and played a major role in the history of Spain and Portugal. Up until the end of World War I it was the dominant religion of one of the major European powers; the successor state of that country is currently under consideration to join the European Union. But that's just an interesting thought topic, and is irrelevant to the issue of whether or not people view Islam as 'non-western.'


Thank you for thinking a little, gghadur77; it's a relief. And you're correct that Islam isn't entirely non-Western; I'll have to think about it, but my initial reaction is that (1) Western Europe has been pretty against the Islamic world since its beginning, and (2) the Islamic world was a victim of and not a participant in Western imperialism.

As to why I continue, it is because I am saddened that people are so unaware of the societal forces that knock them to and fro, especially on the internet, and I'd like to help people realize that they're getting played by the machine. You are right that redokami doesn't owe it to me that she prove she's not prejudiced; the internet possesses no morals. But she does owe it to her own argument, and to her refutation of mine, to do so. And finally, it's possible for people to possess more than one motive: as I've said repeatedly around here, we all do things just to please ourselves. What's important is that we're aware of it and aren't acting solely to puff ourselves up. (To be honest, most people around here are too small game for me to care about yanking their chains; I post when I feel like I might get good practice arguing or I care about something. What do I actually gain by bothering people for its own sake? Nothing.)

I've got an episode of Thunderbolt Fantasy to watch, and I plan to relax over the next couple days, so I'll finish my answer to you later, gghadur77. But I'll deal with one piece of your argument for you now, so you know what you're in for: I happen to be an Asian woman who was raised in the U.S., so I too grew up with a Western perspective. And perhaps you are a Muslim; perhaps not. And it's true that different people from different backgrounds experience American/Western culture differently. But none of that matters. The "Oh! bet you didn't realize I think this and I'm actually a member of [insert social group]" argument is trite and ineffective. For it doesn't change the content of what you're saying. And more importantly, it doesn't change the fact that our culture has a particular power structure held up by social and historical narratives, and that these put out an overarching story that it is possible to characterize. And characterizations are made to be used; the question of whether it's appropriate to generalize about people is a nontrivial one, but it is false that making such generalizations is always wrong. Often it's a good thing.

I'll be back with evidence that the two claims you mentioned I make are true (it is incredibly easy to find such evidence), along with a fuller deconstruction of your argument. Thanks for making things more interesting. You've successfully made me reveal my second form, but I've got a few left.
606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / The Ivory Tower
Offline
Posted 9/16/16 , edited 9/16/16

redokami wrote:

why is everyone attacking me? jesus Christ, its how I worded things not how I think


The problem is that what people say, and how they word things, is entirely dependent on what they think. It's very important to understand this.
37407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/16/16 , edited 9/16/16

Xxanthar wrote:

PETA should go there and protest.


I absolutely agree!

Send all of the PETA members over there to protest.... Maybe some sanity will return to the world when the PETA guys are all finished!










































With protesting..., finished with protesting...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.