First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
Post Reply Should Anime get rid of fan service to appeal to western society
32330 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / St.Louis - USA
Online
Posted 9/15/16
Yet the two types of anime shows that Funimation likes to promote are Actions and T&A
11815 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Auburn, Washington
Offline
Posted 9/16/16

LokiLB wrote:
That entirely depends on the scene.


I said that: "Now, not all fanservice works..."

My point is not that fanservice can always be added to every scene, but that fanservice does not automatically render the entire anime in which it appears "trash." You CAN make a series into trash with fanservice, of course, but this almost never happens - a trash series with fanservice usually STARTS AS TRASH.
12724 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 9/16/16
I watch some anime because it has fan service lol. Ex. Food Wars
1335 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/16/16
Japan is one of the nations more sexually conservative than the USA. But fan service is here, because of that.
11783 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Online
Posted 9/16/16

cdarklock wrote:

No. NOT BEING ABLE TO GET PAST IT makes you weird. If you are so captivated and controlled by the sight of a little girl's underpants that you are unable to appreciate the rest of the scene, you should probably talk to someone about that.


No. Directing is an extraordinary important point when you make a show or a movie. When you can't get over the fact that the director is doing a horrible job it isn't weird it's normal. And what you describe is exactly that. I don't watch a show only because of the dialogues or the characters (I read a book when I only want that). It also has to be visually appealing and the visual part should fit to the rest otherwise it can ruin a scene or even the whole show (depends on how often it happens) doesn't matter how well the dialogues are written just like good directing/design/animation can create wonderful, moving scenes without any dialogue.
11815 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Auburn, Washington
Offline
Posted 9/16/16

srlan23 wrote:

No. Directing is an extraordinary important point when you make a show or a movie.


Well, technically, camera angle is cinematography.

But that's a minor point, so harping on it like it makes some material difference would be STUPID.

It's not like mixing up direction and cinematography is in any way relevant to your point. I know what you MEAN.

Pretending I can't possibly understand or appreciate whatever you say, until you use precisely the right words in precisely the right order, is a TOTAL DICK MOVE.

And it would not be YOUR problem for mixing up direction and cinematography. It would be MY problem for thinking it MATTERS so much that we can't have a meaningful discussion unless and until you admit you actually meant cinematography.

Perhaps you can see some parallel in this.
10646 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/16/16
Let's cut to the chase. Some people find panty shots so offensive that they can't move past it. It becomes their sole focus, their burning obsession. They then mix up directing and cinematography because it's all one thing to them. Arguing on the Internet ensues, and everyone forgets about poor Rin's wrinkle-less wonder-buns.

Please remember the panty shots, because they are the grease that moves plot forward.
11783 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Online
Posted 9/16/16 , edited 9/16/16

cdarklock wrote:


srlan23 wrote:

No. Directing is an extraordinary important point when you make a show or a movie.


Well, technically, camera angle is cinematography.

But that's a minor point, so harping on it like it makes some material difference would be STUPID.

It's not like mixing up direction and cinematography is in any way relevant to your point. I know what you MEAN.

Pretending I can't possibly understand or appreciate whatever you say, until you use precisely the right words in precisely the right order, is a TOTAL DICK MOVE.

And it would not be YOUR problem for mixing up direction and cinematography. It would be MY problem for thinking it MATTERS so much that we can't have a meaningful discussion unless and until you admit you actually meant cinematography.

Perhaps you can see some parallel in this.


I was reading everything you posted I was just not quoting everything because I thought a 46 year-old man would be grown up enough to get it but it seems like I was wrong again.

And maybe some people should google director.
72528 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/16/16
Look at HBO, Showtime and Netflix original dramas and comedy specials and you'll see that fanservice, T&A and violence have nothing to do with anime and nothing to do with Japan or America. Take away broadcast laws and there is no difference. You can't make an online or cable show without fanservice today.
15 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/16/16

gornotck wrote:

Let's cut to the chase. Some people find panty shots so offensive that they can't move past it. It becomes their sole focus, their burning obsession. They then mix up directing and cinematography because it's all one thing to them. Arguing on the Internet ensues, and everyone forgets about poor Rin's wrinkle-less wonder-buns.

Please remember the panty shots, because they are the grease that moves plot forward.


Such eloquence, my brain trembles!!
6399 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / The Abyss of Time
Offline
Posted 9/16/16

hpulley wrote:


This is sadly true. Its more about the easy buck or "being edgy" than story telling. Though at least there's no underage fanservice in most American shows (at least none that I've seen anyway) so I guess that gives them a little bit of credit.
2481 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 9/16/16
It's a separate matter, but with Japan's declining population issue, I reckon that the Anime industry would rather move towards an increase in fan service (of the sexual nature). I'm not sure about Europe, but the population in the United States keeps going up and up. I'm not saying its the major factor, but it can play a part.
11815 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Auburn, Washington
Offline
Posted 9/16/16

srlan23 wrote:

I was reading everything you posted I was just not quoting everything because I thought a 46 year-old man would be grown up enough to get it but it seems like I was wrong again.


No, I got it. Which is precisely why I SAID that I got it, and that pretending I didn't get it would be a total dick move.

Now, if you READ that, you are either too stupid to understand it... or you're a dick.

I don't really care which of those is true, because there's no point in discussing it with you either way.
4583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / Decemberunderground
Offline
Posted 9/16/16 , edited 9/16/16

NyxUlric wrote:

If they want to appeal to a Western audience, they'd have to make it in English, the names have to be westernized, which is never going to happen. Western audience don't like to read subs or familiarize themselves with foreign names that aren't European.

The setting will have to be completely different and the jokes would have to have a Western origin. In other words, it would no longer be anime.


Oh god don't westernize the named.
The western names for the character in YuGiOH GAH horrible.
Jounouchi/Joey
Hanzo/Trsitan
Anzu/Tea
Manjoume/Chazz
Judai/Jaden
BLEH
48498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / ar away
Offline
Posted 9/16/16
Asking if anime should get rid of fanservice is like asking if American films and TV shows should get rid of sex and Chinese movies should get rid of violence. Appealing to primal desires in entertainment is in almost every country and culture in the world and the majority of viewers want it and embrace it. It will never go away no matter how many people may be offended, especially foreigners. No creator, producer, artist or filmmaker should ever have to care what people from a different country think of their work, or somehow filter it to appeal to some other countries moral standards that hardly anybody in that country give a damn about anyway.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.