First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Fukushima Nuclear Reactor Disaster, and Health Effects
37353 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Online
Posted 9/17/16

rokenboker wrote:


DeadlyOats wrote:

That's plain cruel! I think the government should actually be thinking of building new settlements outside of the radio active areas. Not even the Communist Soviet Union forced their people to move back to the areas in the contaminated zones around Chernobyl...

In the States (and probably most places around the world), we complain long and loud, when a government agency wants to build a garbage landfill near our towns. Imagine being told by your government to move into an area still contaminated by radiation?


The Soviets had no shortage of land though, by any margin.


Even if there is a shortage of land, that is no reason to condemn a population to move back into a radioactively contaminated area. They should relocate all of those people to other existing towns that are out of the contamination zones, or build new towns elsewhere, or a combination of the two.

Radioactive fallout has half-lives of hours to thousands of years, and the stuff can cause genetic mutations, and cancers with prolonged exposure. Anybody who learns a little about radiation would already know that. The Japanese government is telling people who know a lot about radiation and cancer, to move back to a place that will give them cancer just for living there (I'm sure that they all did their homework after they all got exposed to the stuff, so they're probably experts by now).
19327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/17/16

DeadlyOats wrote:

I've read many, many news articles reporting the need for voice actors to take time off, or to retire, or that they just plain died. The bulk of these voice actors, who were interviewed, reported poor health as the reason (except for the dead ones. They couldn't be interviewed, 'cause they was dead. A spokesperson, had to tell us, on their behalf, that they died from serious illness). A lot of these actors are young, when they report that they're taking time off, or quitting. Or they died young (30 - 60 years in age).

I've commented on many, many of these news articles. Most of the time, I only wished them well, and for a speedy recovery. But on two occasions, I stated an opinion born from my growing suspicion, that there is a very, very serious health issue affecting the Japanese. I got down voted each time.

So, this time, I decided to start a thread in the forums and post my suspicions here, and let you all have a say in the matter, too.

The point is, I really think, it's related to the radiation leaking from the reactor. IT STILL ISN'T CONTAINED. IT'S STILL LEAKING.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/30/science/fukushima-daiichi-nuclear-plant-cleanup-ice-wall.html?_r=0

In this article, they are saying that radiation exposure is not the only cause of death from such disasters, but out and out stress, caused by such incidents, leads to increased health problems, and death to the affected population.

https://ourworld.unu.edu/en/radiation-from-fukushima-disaster-still-affects-32-million-japanese

The following is the concluding summary of a huge article about the disaster, and the Japanese government's state of denial, and inadequate reporting of the situation. Which is sited, in the previous article, as one of the "stressors" that is causing, not only mistrust of their government, but stress related illnesses in the population.



Here's the link to the complete article.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-human-consequences-of-the-fukushima-dai-ichi-nuclear-power-plant-accidents/5478670

This article lists some of the illnesses that has resulted from massive radiation leaks. It also points at governments around the world trying to play down the disaster.

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/health-effects-fukushima-disaster/

To add to Japan's population decline problems...

http://www.naturalnews.com/053731_Fukushima_radiation_birth_defects.html

The number of news articles of sick and dying VA's, is quite high. I don't hear that many stories of young American actors dying at such a high rate.

I know I've joked, in the past, about working in the anime industry was dangerous work, but I kind of figured that those in the anime industry were just a thin slice of the entire Japanese population. I'm thinking that the levels of death and illness must be pretty high, all across their population, and not just the voice actors and anison artists.

EDIT:

I forgot to add this article, where a promoter is trying to drum up business for Fukushima produce and "marine products." He says that rather than stressing the safety of the products, or whether they've been tested for radiation, he will instead focus on the high quality of the products.... It just comes across as head in the sand-ish to me.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/09/14/national/fan-club-formed-promote-fukushima-produce/#.V9qn59GVuV4



I wouldn't worry too much about it. It is only a matter of time before another big accident happens somewhere else in the world. Then nobody will care about Fukushima anymore. After all you don't see many people still worrying about Windscale, Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, or the ones you've never even hear about in the news.
37353 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Online
Posted 9/17/16 , edited 9/17/16

goodman528 wrote:




I wouldn't worry too much about it. It is only a matter of time before another big accident happens somewhere else in the world. Then nobody will care about Fukushima anymore. After all you don't see many people still worrying about Windscale, Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, or the ones you've never even hear about in the news.



Chernobyl

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/04/25/chernobyl-30-year-anniversary/83220302/

Continued cancers and goiter health issues of the people contaminated continue 30 years later. The reason it seems that no one is caring, is because governments are shutting up those who dare to speak up.

The Japanese government seems to be doing the same. They deny health risks, despite the evidence to show that people are getting sick, and they're attempting to brush it all under the rug.

Chernobyl could still come back to haunt us, according the article. Radiation started leaking again, and they're putting another thick steal and concrete lid on top of the, now leaky, older steal and concrete lid.

Windscale


Salvage operations

The reactor was unsalvageable; where possible, the fuel rods were removed, and the reactor bioshield was sealed and left intact. Approximately 6,700 fire-damaged fuel elements and 1,700 fire-damaged isotope cartridges remain in the pile. The damaged reactor core was still slightly warm as a result of continuing nuclear reactions.[34] Windscale Pile 2, though undamaged by the fire, was considered too unsafe for continued use. It was shut down shortly afterwards. No air-cooled reactors have been built since. The final removal of fuel from the damaged reactor was scheduled to begin in 2008 and continue for a further four years.



They cared about it from 1957 (the year of the accident) all the way up until 2012 (the projected year they think they might get done removing the damaged fuel rods. They still have to clean up the mess left behind, after that). And if they're still cleaning up the mess all the way up until 2016, then they're still caring about it.

Here's the link for Windscale:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windscale_fire


Three Mile Island.

We was lucky that time. Only a small amount of radioactive gas escaped into the environment. And the partial meltdown was contained and cooled before it got completely out of control. They started clean up in the mid 70's, but clean up wasn't done until the 90's, almost 20 years.

Fukushima is going to be a very long lasting catastrophe that will get worse as more and more cancer cases, and more and more other illnesses pop up because of it. Especially, since their trying to force people to move back into some of those areas...

The issue I have is that mainstream media is not reporting this. It's like they're working in cooperation with governments to hide the truth, and to sweep it under the rug...
10602 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 9/17/16
Mainstream media isn't reporting it because it's not sexy. It doesn't get eyes on the prize.
16757 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 9/17/16

Southern55 wrote:


Rujikin wrote:

If they just rebuilt their aging nuclear plants and shut down the old, and WAAAY past their planned operational date, plants then this would have never happened. Heck newer generation nuclear plants CANNOT function without water being pumped into them continuously and shut down automatically, via physics, when there is a lack of water.


While I won't say that age shouldn't be considered a factor since it was old as hell. The plant was poorly designed to begin with. The tsunami could have hit back in the 80's and still had more or less the same result. Though I'm no expert on building nuclear plants so that's just my opinion.


Yeah, but all the early nuclear plants were poor in comparison to modern designs, It was one of the older plants that used a more enriched type of uranium which REQUIRES water to keep it cool otherwise it can burn through its containment. The plus of doing that is your facility can be smaller but its more dangerous when problems happen. Newer plants require more space but the safety mechanism is literally physics which shuts it off without human intervention.
37353 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Online
Posted 9/17/16

gornotck wrote:

Mainstream media isn't reporting it because it's not sexy. It doesn't get eyes on the prize.


Are you kidding? What's not news worthy of "Government attempts to cover up health risks!" Or, "Government attempts to sweep under the rug, the fact that millions of tourists will come to Japan for 2020 Olympics, only to be exposed to radioactive food and drinks!" etc.

In fact, tourists, now, are getting exposed to radioactive food and drink.... Mainstream media's silence is suspicious...., that's all.
Banned
6934 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
In a basket of de...
Offline
Posted 9/17/16
We need more coal power plants. I like that black smoke.
1103 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 9/17/16

DeadlyOats wrote:


gornotck wrote:

Mainstream media isn't reporting it because it's not sexy. It doesn't get eyes on the prize.


Are you kidding? What's not news worthy of "Government attempts to cover up health risks!" Or, "Government attempts to sweep under the rug, the fact that millions of tourists will come to Japan for 2020 Olympics, only to be exposed to radioactive food and drinks!" etc.

In fact, tourists, now, are getting exposed to radioactive food and drink.... Mainstream media's silence is suspicious...., that's all.


The media is like bees. They move from one flower to the next after they take what they need and lose interest.
11772 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / McDonough
Offline
Posted 9/18/16

DeadlyOats wrote:


gornotck wrote:

Mainstream media isn't reporting it because it's not sexy. It doesn't get eyes on the prize.


Are you kidding? What's not news worthy of "Government attempts to cover up health risks!" Or, "Government attempts to sweep under the rug, the fact that millions of tourists will come to Japan for 2020 Olympics, only to be exposed to radioactive food and drinks!" etc.

In fact, tourists, now, are getting exposed to radioactive food and drink.... Mainstream media's silence is suspicious...., that's all.


what makes it "not sexy" is the fact that it's actually a big deal and isn't under control. The media likes to scare people with things that are no big deal, but something that actually matters would actually cause us concern which would then be troublesome for the gov.

Besides, Fukushima is soooo 2011 *he says sarcastically*
19327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/18/16

DeadlyOats wrote:


goodman528 wrote:




I wouldn't worry too much about it. It is only a matter of time before another big accident happens somewhere else in the world. Then nobody will care about Fukushima anymore. After all you don't see many people still worrying about Windscale, Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, or the ones you've never even hear about in the news.



Chernobyl

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/04/25/chernobyl-30-year-anniversary/83220302/

Continued cancers and goiter health issues of the people contaminated continue 30 years later. The reason it seems that no one is caring, is because governments are shutting up those who dare to speak up.

The Japanese government seems to be doing the same. They deny health risks, despite the evidence to show that people are getting sick, and they're attempting to brush it all under the rug.

Chernobyl could still come back to haunt us, according the article. Radiation started leaking again, and they're putting another thick steal and concrete lid on top of the, now leaky, older steal and concrete lid.

Windscale


Salvage operations

The reactor was unsalvageable; where possible, the fuel rods were removed, and the reactor bioshield was sealed and left intact. Approximately 6,700 fire-damaged fuel elements and 1,700 fire-damaged isotope cartridges remain in the pile. The damaged reactor core was still slightly warm as a result of continuing nuclear reactions.[34] Windscale Pile 2, though undamaged by the fire, was considered too unsafe for continued use. It was shut down shortly afterwards. No air-cooled reactors have been built since. The final removal of fuel from the damaged reactor was scheduled to begin in 2008 and continue for a further four years.



They cared about it from 1957 (the year of the accident) all the way up until 2012 (the projected year they think they might get done removing the damaged fuel rods. They still have to clean up the mess left behind, after that). And if they're still cleaning up the mess all the way up until 2016, then they're still caring about it.

Here's the link for Windscale:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windscale_fire


Three Mile Island.

We was lucky that time. Only a small amount of radioactive gas escaped into the environment. And the partial meltdown was contained and cooled before it got completely out of control. They started clean up in the mid 70's, but clean up wasn't done until the 90's, almost 20 years.

Fukushima is going to be a very long lasting catastrophe that will get worse as more and more cancer cases, and more and more other illnesses pop up because of it. Especially, since their trying to force people to move back into some of those areas...

The issue I have is that mainstream media is not reporting this. It's like they're working in cooperation with governments to hide the truth, and to sweep it under the rug...



I've been to Windscale. Sure, it's still messed up, and the core is still flooded. Sure, the concrete ain't gonna hold for ever and it's only a matter of time before it leaks. I don't think they are ever gonna clean it up. I don't even know how they can clean it up even if they wanted to. But you know, it's not something you should be worrying about. On the scale of risk, from low like death from choking on a cabbage, to high like ran over by drunk driver, this is definitely on the low side. And the further away you live from a nuclear facility, the lower the risk.

The mainstream media can't even make up its mind on whether evolution is true, nor whether climate change is true, and you expect them to to continue reporting on Fukushima?! Don't be silly. More than half the country are more concerned about worshipping a magical carpenter who died thousands of years ago than buying a smaller car to save the planet. Get real and worry about something else.
10602 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 9/18/16 , edited 9/18/16
http://www.nrc.gov/ Everything you could ever want to know about what is basically nuclear radiation.
37353 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Online
Posted 9/19/16
I'm drinking sake, imported from Japan.... And it just now hit me... 'Is it contaminated?' Am I drinking in some of Fukushima's catastrophe? It's really good sake, too.

Pocky Sticks, and all of those wild flavors of Kit Kat bars, and the assorted Japanese rice crackers, all come from Japan. Asahi and Sapporo beers, as well as my Gekkeikan sake are all imports from Japan.... Damn....! Fukushima's reach is long!

It makes you realize how small our Big Blue Marble really is. We don't think of the enormous distances products have to travel to get to us. We just buy our favorite imports without thinking about it. We completely trust our government officials to do their part to protect us from hazards imported from overseas, like lead ladened toys from China. (Yeah, I think it's a Communist Chinese plot to poison American children, so that there will be fewer sharp thinkers in the future that can challenge them on the global theater).

However, with all of the 'sweeping under the rug' that's been going on with governments, and major news media outlets around the planet, it's kind of hard to know if they are intentionally turning a blind eye, 'to let stuff go by...' You know? I hope this isn't the case, cause then it means I'll get some kind of cancer, from drinking Fukushima reactor contaminants. (DISCLAIMER: The melodramatics comes from my Gekkeikan sake buzz - but it should not be so easily dismissed, either).
37353 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Online
Posted 9/24/16 , edited 9/24/16
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.