First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply CR: What's the point of User reviews on this site when so many are downvoted into oblivion?
61159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 9/16/16

AnimeKami wrote:


staphen wrote:

Isn't the helpful/unhelpful voting just another form of criticism? Does not anyone else see this hypocrisy?


just like me quoting your post is not helpful what-so-ever.

It (noun) is good.

vs.

It (noun) is good because (reasons).

are worlds apart.


Implying that people who click the "helpful/unhelpful" buttons do not have their reasons?
9516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Online
Posted 9/16/16 , edited 9/16/16

AnimeKami wrote:

The masses band together and strike down individuals who have different opinions - most get downs votes or labeled as trolls - but it is this difference in opinion when dialogue can occur. Such dialogue is threatened today because, down voting, trolls are censored simply for being different in opinion.



I think that's where dialogue dies. Difference does not pave the way for dialogue but rather the circumstances from which it arises; tolerance on the otherhand is what discussion really need. Google's video in support of transgenders is a horrid example of trolls running raids on dislike bars and downvotes. Are they not trolls, worthy of having their brains dashed into rocks?

In the same way, a crappy review that has no thoughts are upvoted primarily because they are agreeable rather than the quality of analysis itself, though you might have a point.

61159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 9/16/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


staphen wrote:

Isn't the helpful/unhelpful voting just another form of criticism? Does not anyone else see this hypocrisy?


When you downvote something based on the amount of stars given rather than the review itself than one might say there are problem. Glass Reflection guy had to stop giving numerical values so that people will actually watch his video.

In the same way, one can appreciate a review without feeling the same way.


But it still kind of boils down to, "This particular form of criticism is bad because it is inconvenient for my goal of sharing my dissenting view." Fact is, the view is dissenting, and most people are going to find it unhelpful by definition.
9516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Online
Posted 9/16/16

staphen wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


staphen wrote:

Isn't the helpful/unhelpful voting just another form of criticism? Does not anyone else see this hypocrisy?


When you downvote something based on the amount of stars given rather than the review itself than one might say there are problem. Glass Reflection guy had to stop giving numerical values so that people will actually watch his video.

In the same way, one can appreciate a review without feeling the same way.


But it still kind of boils down to, "This particular form of criticism is bad because it is inconvenient for my goal of sharing my dissenting view." Fact is, the view is dissenting, and most people are going to find it unhelpful by definition.


You do have a point, although I'm perturbed by the transgender video which was sorely undeserving.
104083 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 9/16/16

staphen wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:


staphen wrote:

Isn't the helpful/unhelpful voting just another form of criticism? Does not anyone else see this hypocrisy?


just like me quoting your post is not helpful what-so-ever.

It (noun) is good.

vs.

It (noun) is good because (reasons).

are worlds apart.


Implying that people who click the "helpful/unhelpful" buttons do not have their reasons?


I mean... I can down vote your forum post right now. Am I going to? No. Can I? yes. Will it do anything? No.
61159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 9/16/16 , edited 9/18/16

AnimeKami wrote:

I mean... I can down vote your forum post right now. Am I going to? No. Can I? yes. Will it do anything? No.


... Implying that it's convenient for me that downvotes in the forum don't do anything? Perhaps suggesting that in this case, I'm the one with the dissenting opinion and that by my own argument I deserve to be downvoted?

I'm having a really hard time following your points. For someone who claims to care about proper dialogue, you seem to be quite adept at beating around the bush, or perhaps simply at saying nothing at all. Maybe you're just trying to get me to attack my own argument for you. At least I can say you're right that the future looks bleak for dialogue when even its proponents are driving others into talking to themselves.
104083 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 9/16/16 , edited 9/16/16

staphen wrote:

... Implying that it's convenient for me that downvotes in the forum don't do anything? Perhaps suggesting that in this case, I'm the one with the dissenting opinion and that by my own argument I deserve to be downvoted?

I'm having a really hard time following your points. For someone who claims to care about proper dialogue, you seem to be quite adept at beating around the bush, or perhaps simply at saying nothing at all. Maybe you're just trying to get me to attack my own argument for you. At least I can say you're right that the future looks bleak for dialogue when even its proponents are driving others into talking to themselves.


Who knows...

But literally the down votes do nothing.
8742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Behind you!
Offline
Posted 9/16/16
Swear their was a South Park Episode this year, about people being critics of food and thinking they where special. Of course, humans being humans we are all special in our little minds and it is the majority that has the power.
1335 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/16/16

staphen wrote:

Isn't the helpful/unhelpful voting just another form of criticism? Does not anyone else see this hypocrisy?


I'd probably see it if I looked, except I don't really "get" anime reviews. I somewhat, on rare occasions, "get" movie reviews, since movies can be costly for many to go see together. But, I mean, anime is streaming for us here. I guess there are media sales and whatnot. But that isn't my thing. So I suppose one would see the hypocrisy, except that its seemingly pointless for people like me to care about.
2139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/16/16 , edited 9/16/16
I can see where you are coming from, but if you make an opinion expect others to have an opinion as well. I give a person respect for wanting to voice there opinion but don't be surprised when you get opinions against yours.
Banned
6934 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
In a basket of de...
Offline
Posted 9/16/16 , edited 9/18/16
I don't read reviews because everyone else besides me has shitty taste.
18052 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/16/16 , edited 9/17/16

staphen wrote:

But it still kind of boils down to, "This particular form of criticism is bad because it is inconvenient for my goal of sharing my dissenting view." Fact is, the view is dissenting, and most people are going to find it unhelpful by definition.



"This particular form of criticism is bad because it is inconvenient for my goal of sharing my dissenting view." can be so easily reversed. They find it unhelpful because, chances are, they simply don't agree with it. The helpful/unhelpful are supposed to be based on the review itself, not preconceived perspectives on the show. I doubt you understand the actual function of that feature.

Thus the case becomes: "This particular form of criticism is bad because it is inconvenient for my goal of sharing my positive view."

It isn't hypocrisy if the opposition gives nothing to counter but burying the criticism.

So, since when does burying criticism equate to expressing opinion? I don't believe my review is anything special, but why seek to bury negative reviews otherwise other than to push an agenda of promoting the show?

My intent is to inform, not bury bury others' positive or negative reviews. But hey, just cover your eyes and no criticism means anything, right?
46232 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / 地球
Offline
Posted 9/17/16 , edited 9/17/16
Sadly, as any other site where fans gather, the opinions towards a show tend to be a little extreme, it tends to be pure hate or pure love.

Like the bandwagon shows such as Naruto, SAO, One Piece, Fairy Tail, Re: Zero, etc... people will normally love it or bash it to death. You can see it yourself on the forums, for a popular series' discussion, there will always be one or two -It is just me or [insert any popular show here] is terribly overrated?- threads. Where there can be discussion indeed, but normally, is not trying to agree with others' points of view but to shove their opinion over everyone else's throats. Simply put, just to troll and find other trolls who agree with you on the bashing, but is totally normal. After all, internet's anonymity is what makes that possible.

That being said, it is a shame when people do make a really valid point, when they like some points of the show and critic others. Normally they are considered as bashing and you will get downvoted, but you can thank trolls and maybe oversensitiveness of the fans for that; but overall is the trolling that makes ppl less tolerant to a genuine show critic review.
61159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 9/17/16

I-Crypt-I wrote:


staphen wrote:

But it still kind of boils down to, "This particular form of criticism is bad because it is inconvenient for my goal of sharing my dissenting view." Fact is, the view is dissenting, and most people are going to find it unhelpful by definition.



"This particular form of criticism is bad because it is inconvenient for my goal of sharing my dissenting view." can be so easily reversed. They find it unhelpful because, chances are, they simply don't agree with it. The helpful/unhelpful are supposed to be based on the review itself, not preconceived perspectives on the show. I doubt you understand the actual function of that feature.

Thus the case becomes: "This particular form of criticism is bad because it is inconvenient for my goal of sharing my positive view."

It isn't hypocrisy if the opposition gives nothing to counter but burying the criticism.

So, since when does burying criticism equate to expressing opinion? I don't believe my review is anything special, but why seek to bury negative reviews otherwise other than to push an agenda of promoting the show?

My intent is to inform, not bury bury others' positive or negative reviews. But hey, just cover your eyes and no criticism means anything, right?


You've twisted the issue back around to what I'm going to call your made-up war against negative reviews, but in doing so I believe you missed my point. In order to understand, you need to abandon this notion that people arbitrarily vote down anything that's negative and instead consider the audience. The easiest way to do this conceptually is to split views into popular and unpopular. It should be pretty obvious that the majority of people in the audience are going to share popular views. Any correlation between that and positive and negative views is purely incidental. As a matter of fact, you said it yourself.


There's no point in writing reviews lower than a 4/5 unless it's more popularly disliked.


Next, consider the purpose of the reviews. The casual reader is likely consulting others' opinions on the show in order to make a decision about whether they should proceed with watching. In that case, it would make the most sense to place the most relevant information--in other words, the most commonly shared views--at the top of the list. On account of the fact that the reviewers hold popular opinions, the person reading is also more likely to agree with them. For this reason, and also because the feature seems to be designed this way, I'm pretty sure the purpose of the helpful/unhelpful feature is simply to highlight popular opinion. I somewhat resent the fact that you accused me of not understanding the function of the helpful/unhelpful feature when you yourself don't seem to, but perhaps you simply gravitate toward hypocrisy.

Furthermore, you should consider the fact that you are coming here and preaching to us about how people on this site voted a bunch of reviews down simply because they were negative. Given that you can't possibly know what the readers were thinking when they downvoted the reviews, it sounds suspiciously like a straw man. Maybe they really did think the reviews were poorly written, or maybe they thought the reviewers focused too much on the negatives and didn't share any of the positive aspects, or maybe they simply didn't agree because the views expressed happen to be unpopular. Have you considered those possibilities?
1816 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 9/17/16
While i may miss the point of this topic, i can say this. Whenever i do a review, i usually watch the show till the end (considering it's 12-24+ episodes long), NOT when it's airing at the time. It doesn't make sense to me to do one while it's running. While i do so, I AM honest about stars. Everyone got different tastes and so do i.

Also, i have to point that if there are lots of reviews on one show already, i usually don't bother writing one. I may make exeptions but only rarely.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.