Post Reply What type of story would you call this?
45815 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/16/16
Let's say that you want to write a story but only fifteen chapters long. What do you call such a story? I ask this because I want to write a story with fifteen chapters only. Is it a novella or something else? Please let me know.

Also, how does one write a novella? I never written one.


Enjoy!!!
10127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 9/16/16
That entirely depends on how long the chapters are of course.
45815 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/16/16

octorockandroll wrote:

That entirely depends on how long the chapters are of course.


I was thinking of writing from 5000 to either 9000 words for each chapter. But that could be too long.
10127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 9/16/16

qualeshia3 wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

That entirely depends on how long the chapters are of course.


I was thinking of writing from 5000 to either 9000 words for each chapter. But that could be too long.


Well the novel I'm reading at the moment is 14 chapters long and I figure the chapters are around that size, if not a little smaller. So basically, I think you're describing a novel-length book.
45815 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/16/16

octorockandroll wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

That entirely depends on how long the chapters are of course.


I was thinking of writing from 5000 to either 9000 words for each chapter. But that could be too long.


Well the novel I'm reading at the moment is 14 chapters long and I figure the chapters are around that size, if not a little smaller. So basically, I think you're describing a novel-length book.


So 2000 to 3000 words for each chapter?
10127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 9/16/16 , edited 9/16/16

qualeshia3 wrote:

So 2000 to 3000 words for each chapter?


Yeah, maybe.
45815 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/16/16 , edited 9/16/16

octorockandroll wrote:

Yeah, maybe.


Okay.
14107 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 9/16/16
Novel: over 40,000 words
Novella: 17,500 to 40,000 words
Novelette: 7,500 to 17,500 words
Short story: under 7,500 words

15 chapters at an average of 2500 words would equal 37,500 words which would be Novella length.

As for how to write it, I wouldn't worry too much about length. Just worry about your story. What you can do though is make sure your story is really tight. I think you have a tendency to want to throw everything about the vast expansive world you create into your stories. Try focusing more on what is pivotal to the plot and develop the world around that. Theoretically it will make something that feels quicker paced and more focused in addition to being shorter (and a lot easier to edit).
45815 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/16/16

sundin13 wrote:

Novel: over 40,000 words
Novella: 17,500 to 40,000 words
Novelette: 7,500 to 17,500 words
Short story: under 7,500 words

15 chapters at an average of 2500 words would equal 37,500 words which would be Novella length.

As for how to write it, I wouldn't worry too much about length. Just worry about your story. What you can do though is make sure your story is really tight. I think you have a tendency to want to throw everything about the vast expansive world you create into your stories. Try focusing more on what is pivotal to the plot and develop the world around that. Theoretically it will make something that feels quicker paced and more focused in addition to being shorter (and a lot easier to edit).


Thanks so much.
25588 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Various
Offline
Posted 9/18/16
http://www.eadeverell.com/how-to-write-a-novella/
I actually just came across this yesterday.
There's actually quite a few good articles on this site.


BUT


don't worry about things like that until after you finish a first draft.
You must be logged in to post.