First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Have you ever been shocked by a wall socket?
2301 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M
Offline
Posted 9/18/16 , edited 9/18/16
Yes, several times. I've touched exposed wires on accident and got a little zap. I think most 110's are designed so that you don't get a bad shock if you do get electrocuted but please don't quote me on that. I am NO electrician and for all I know a 110 could be deadly. I've just never had one do more than just zap me a little bit.

Now when I was in highschool I took welding and I ended up grounding myself and wow, that was a freaking shock. I had a soda in one hand and had the clamp on the metal table that I was working on. The plastic part of the welding rod where you hold it slid down and I was holding it like that and I didn't have a free hand and wanted to bring that plastic part back up so I wouldn't be holding the exposed metal/wire parts so like a big moron I decided to set my soda down. Unfortunately I did it on the metal table that I was welding on and bam! It wasn't so much of a shock as it was a nonstop current going through me. I couldn't let go of my soda and I couldn't let go of the welder. I was just kinda stuck and it freaking hurt. Keep in mind this only lasted a few seconds but it felt like forever. Thankfully my friend had been looking for an excuse to whack me with a broom and he smacked the soda out of my hand and I was finally able to move again. I don't know what kind of electrical current a welder has but it packed a pretty good punch. It didn't burn me or anything. I was wearing welding gloves so that was good but I shook the rest of that day and my whole body ached for several days. Had me a nice cramp in my right arm that I thought was never going to go away. Yeah, that one sucked. I would think a wall socket would pack a heavier punch than a mig welder but apparently not.
709 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Kansas, USA
Offline
Posted 9/18/16
Like above, I've been zapped by exposed wires many times, but it was because I have worked on live electrical circuits. At this point, it doesn't even bother me to brush bare wires; I wouldn't grab them, but the shock from 110~120v is just a tickle when you make momentary contact (sort of like sticking a 9v battery on your tongue.)
2700 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 9/18/16
I was helping my dad replace one and didn't know it was still live and I grabbed the thing it a pair of pliers. Oh boy my arm was going crazy. Another time I grabbed a plug by the metal prongs and pulled it out. I shocked myself but hey, i got the plug out.
6663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / USA
Online
Posted 9/18/16
I have not...but I shocked someone else with a wall socket.

For some science class experiment we were testing the electrical output of the classroom's wall outlets. I stick the probes into the outlet and then bam, electricity arcs out of outlet and shocks not me, but the guy next to me holding the paper we were recording the results on.

We all had a good laugh.
33395 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Socal
Offline
Posted 9/18/16
120VAC can kill you. So no I haven't been shocked by a wall socket and I don't want to either. Imagine if your hand was sweaty or you had an open cut.
Posted 9/18/16
Yes, my hands we wet, and I was impatient to dry off my hands and tried to plug a charger
8876 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/18/16 , edited 9/18/16
Nah, i just shorted out the classrooms computers next door from the detention room...

Had a paperclip stabbed into the rubber of my shoe and I poked the outlet behind my desk.
98218 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
68 / M / Columbia, MO
Offline
Posted 9/18/16
No, I've never been inebriated enough to try to start a conversation with one. I didn't realize any are conversant in the audible languages. Most of them tend to be unobtrusive and very, very quiet. Sure, once in a while if you try to stick something in them they may (not) emit a small spark of displeasure (sounds like date night) and hand you a shock but usually they are quite receptive and will accommodate most male plugs willingly (yea).
Posted 9/18/16
Almost, I was changing out a plug and forgot the wires were hot and cut the black with my strippers, sparks flew in my face and I jumped back. I didn't feel a thing but my wire strippers were left with a hole in 'em.
8876 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/18/16 , edited 9/18/16

potentsativa wrote:

Almost, I was changing out a plug and forgot the wires were hot and cut the black with my strippers, sparks flew in my face and I jumped back. I didn't feel a thing but my wire strippers were left with a hole in 'em.


Sounds like one of my co-workers, blew some teeth off his wire strippers and the tool right out of his hand. All he was holding were the handle grips.

Was a milwaukee-----------v
19591 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / NYC Metro Area
Offline
Posted 9/18/16
No, but I have been shocked by a water spigot oddly enough. City was doing electrical work nearby and somehow crossed some electricity lines with the water ones. My arm was shaking like crazy and hurt like hell. My mom thought I was lying (was only 6 at the time) and went to touch it and she got shocked too. Called the town and they fixed the problem, surprised nobody else had the same problem, but I lived next to a major highway and shopping center so maybe it was an isolated incident.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.