First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply The Washington Post bends both time and space!
Emtro 
1559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/18/16

BlueOni wrote:

Apparently trust in media in the US has hit historic lows.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/195542/americans-trust-mass-media-sinks-new-low.aspx

With the pathetic journalistic practices at CNN and its ties to Time Warner, MSNBC being a propaganda outlet for the Democratic Party and FOX News being a propaganda outlet for the Republican Party, Breitbart serving as a media arm of the Trump campaign, Mother Jones hopping on the hack Democratic bandwagon of attacking younger voters for not worshiping at Clinton's feet, and so on, it's hardly surprising. Everyone is carrying water for someone in media these days. Primary sources are your friends.


Well this is where I have to partially disagree. I see it happen often, people lump Brietbart in with CNN and actual mainstream media. The reason Breitbart is called alternative media is because it doesn't feed into the same system that the mainstream does. It publicizes the stories that are avoided by mainstream media because they are avoided to prevent dissent from the left. But that's only because the mainstream is so horrendously left. I believe they started out reaming the right on stories that weren't popular in the media but nobody talks about that because it would contradict the narrative. You can say it looks like propaganda all you want, but until you fact check it's just a message you don't want to hear.
35035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 9/18/16 , edited 9/18/16

Emtro wrote:

Well this is where I have to partially disagree.

I see it happen often, people lump Brietbart in with CNN and actual mainstream media. The reason Breitbart is called alternative media is because it doesn't feed into the same system that the mainstream does. It publicizes the stories that are avoided by mainstream media because they are avoided to prevent dissent from the left. But that's only because the mainstream is so horrendously left. I believe they started out reaming the right on stories that weren't popular in the media but nobody talks about that because it would contradict the narrative. You can say it looks like propaganda all you want, but until you fact check it's just a message you don't want to hear.


Cool story. Say, what's Steve Bannon been up to lately? For that matter, what's the word with Roger Ailes?
Emtro 
1559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/18/16

BlueOni wrote:

Cool story. Say, what's Steve Bannon been up to lately? For that matter, what's the word with Roger Ailes?


I heard he was hired to help oppose the anti-christ in some election.
5318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/18/16

kevz_210 wrote:

WaPo is a Democrat establishment propaganda media outlet. Liberals use to be for pardoning him, but since all wise and mighty leader Obama deemed him a criminal the card carrying Democrats threw their principals out the window and followed their all-knowing leader of the proverbial cliff. It is almost as if they are incapable of independent thought.

We don't support Bush overthrowing foreign governments and nation building, but when Obama and Clinton do exactly the same thing in Libya, well that's different. Give me a break.


This is the only necessary comment in this entire thread. WaPo and NYTimes aren't even fit for toilet paper.
8504 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 9/18/16

Emtro wrote:


BlueOni wrote:

Apparently trust in media in the US has hit historic lows.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/195542/americans-trust-mass-media-sinks-new-low.aspx

With the pathetic journalistic practices at CNN and its ties to Time Warner, MSNBC being a propaganda outlet for the Democratic Party and FOX News being a propaganda outlet for the Republican Party, Breitbart serving as a media arm of the Trump campaign, Mother Jones hopping on the hack Democratic bandwagon of attacking younger voters for not worshiping at Clinton's feet, and so on, it's hardly surprising. Everyone is carrying water for someone in media these days. Primary sources are your friends.


Well this is where I have to partially disagree. I see it happen often, people lump Brietbart in with CNN and actual mainstream media. The reason Breitbart is called alternative media is because it doesn't feed into the same system that the mainstream does. It publicizes the stories that are avoided by mainstream media because they are avoided to prevent dissent from the left. But that's only because the mainstream is so horrendously left. I believe they started out reaming the right on stories that weren't popular in the media but nobody talks about that because it would contradict the narrative. You can say it looks like propaganda all you want, but until you fact check it's just a message you don't want to hear.


Is it possible you're so right wing that everything to the left is "horrendously left"? Not that I disagree that there is a bias in the media, but that the amount of pandering Breitbart does to the internet right is downright disturbing. Heck, especially with terms like cuckservative being applies to right wingers which usually mean "right wing but anti Trump."


You know, I used to think Yiannopoulos may have a point with his motto "Fuck your feelings", but that's all anyone seems to be doing on the site, no matter how insidious or bigoted the trolling is. In any case, I can't tell the difference between trolls on the site and actual white supremacists who flock to the site. Are they are all trolling? I'd like to believe so, but then that raises other questions about how retarded it is to equate trolling as a valid political movement.

19539 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / NYC Metro Area
Offline
Posted 9/18/16 , edited 9/18/16
The breakdown is something like this
MSNBC: strong liberal bias
Fox: Mainstream republican bias
Breitbart: Tea-Party/Anti-Establishment wing of the Republican party bias
InfoWars: Conspiracies everywhere

CNN: 'breaking news: Trump ate McDonalds for lunch today"
97968 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
68 / M / Columbia, MO
Offline
Posted 9/19/16
Emtro 
1559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/19/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Is it possible you're so right wing that everything to the left is "horrendously left"? Not that I disagree that there is a bias in the media, but that the amount of pandering Breitbart does to the internet right is downright disturbing. Heck, especially with terms like cuckservative being applies to right wingers which usually mean "right wing but anti Trump."


You know, I used to think Yiannopoulos may have a point with his motto "Fuck your feelings", but that's all anyone seems to be doing on the site, no matter how insidious or bigoted the trolling is. In any case, I can't tell the difference between trolls on the site and actual white supremacists who flock to the site. Are they are all trolling? I'd like to believe so, but then that raises other questions about how retarded it is to equate trolling as a valid political movement.



This was going to be long but I don't owe anybody here that much. I believed in the ideals of democrats when I was a child. Then I experienced the real world and I grew up. I can't do anything about your ignorance because you were programmed by a corrupt school system. If you weren't, you would know the only white supremacists that have ever existed are the ones that shouted "white power" and hung black people from crosses (who happened to be democrats).
23 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/19/16 , edited 9/19/16
Isn't the news great now? In the old days, the news just reported the news for the most part. They told you facts about happenings around the world... They understood they were the impartial intrepid reporter on the front lines! They exposed the truth to the world!

Now though, they've improved! Since they rarely expose anything we don't already know anymore, they upped their game by telling us how to think about the news! The viewers at home used to have so much work to do before. They not only had to read/watch the news but they had to decide what it all meant in the grand scheme of things.... NO LONGER! Now people will sit around desks and avidly "debate" each other on television (though they all hold the same opinion, just perhaps to different extremes). This replaces the news of the past... In the event that there is just one newscaster, he/she will start debating with their reporter on the street, supposed "experts" they bring in...or even the weather person!

American News: The world is a scary place. Don't think about it too much! We will tell you how to think!

Non-jokingly... I find the news so boring now. I really don't care what the newscaster thinks about how the current atrocity is bad or not. Why are they the authority anyway? It's like trusting Tom Cruise to tell you what religion to believe in... :p Sure, they might be handsome and have good hair but likely they are nuts as trailmix.
8504 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 9/19/16 , edited 9/19/16

Emtro wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Is it possible you're so right wing that everything to the left is "horrendously left"? Not that I disagree that there is a bias in the media, but that the amount of pandering Breitbart does to the internet right is downright disturbing. Heck, especially with terms like cuckservative being applies to right wingers which usually mean "right wing but anti Trump."


You know, I used to think Yiannopoulos may have a point with his motto "Fuck your feelings", but that's all anyone seems to be doing on the site, no matter how insidious or bigoted the trolling is. In any case, I can't tell the difference between trolls on the site and actual white supremacists who flock to the site. Are they are all trolling? I'd like to believe so, but then that raises other questions about how retarded it is to equate trolling as a valid political movement.



This was going to be long but I don't owe anybody here that much. I believed in the ideals of democrats when I was a child. Then I experienced the real world and I grew up. I can't do anything about your ignorance because you were programmed by a corrupt school system. If you weren't, you would know the only white supremacists that have ever existed are the ones that shouted "white power" and hung black people from crosses (who happened to be democrats).


Hopefully you're not assuming I'm a democrat merely for disliking Breitbart. I'm not calling every conservative a wingnut or a racist, but its hard to tell whose trolling and whose being a racist at Breitbart. Regardless of the fact, engaging in "political" actions such as tweeting nigger to a black man or worst, is in fact bigoted, no matter the intention of the user. If he whines about being misunderstood on the internet, if he accuses people who understandably take offense at such a thing, that's his idiocy at work. Anonymity and grey legality doesn't excuse you from these actions, and they never should. Yiannopolous' readers clearly don't understand the difference between "being able" and "shouldn't be doing", yet they blurred the lines for their own twisted utopia devoid of any stigmas attached to anything.

If that isn't extremism of the worst sort than I don't know what is.

I am neither a democrat or a republican, nor do I support Black Lives Matters, so don't assume my positions, especially considering the few positions I take highly left are usually LGBT based. Yet I made it painfully clear that NOT propagating the mental illness mantra isn't instant support of all LGBT "rights".


Edit: This doesn't mean to take away from the idiocy of the WP or other sources, I just found that Breitbart is equally guilty, perhaps less so for actually admitting those are editorials.
Emtro 
1559 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/19/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Hopefully you're not assuming I'm a democrat merely for disliking Breitbart. I'm not calling every conservative a wingnut or a racist, but its hard to tell whose trolling and whose being a racist at Breitbart. Regardless of the fact, engaging in "political" actions such as tweeting nigger to a black man or worst, is in fact bigoted, no matter the intention of the user. If he whines about being misunderstood on the internet, if he accuses people who understandably take offense at such a thing, that's his idiocy at work. Anonymity and grey legality doesn't excuse you from these actions, and they never should. Yiannopolous' readers clearly don't understand the difference between "being able" and "shouldn't be doing", yet they blurred the lines for their own twisted utopia devoid of any stigmas attached to anything.

If that isn't extremism of the worst sort than I don't know what is.

I am neither a democrat or a republican, nor do I support Black Lives Matters, so don't assume my positions, especially considering the few positions I take highly left are usually LGBT based. Yet I made it painfully clear that NOT propagating the mental illness mantra isn't instant support of all LGBT "rights".


Edit: This doesn't mean to take away from the idiocy of the WP or other sources, I just found that Breitbart is equally guilty, perhaps less so for actually admitting those are editorials.


I guess I can elaborate since you managed to dig into the position. "Extremism of the worst sort" is the issue at hand.

Reacting violently because you here words you were programmed to find offensive on behalf of yourself or others is extremism. Saying those words in protest is of censorship, is NOT extremism.

8504 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 9/19/16 , edited 9/19/16

Emtro wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Hopefully you're not assuming I'm a democrat merely for disliking Breitbart. I'm not calling every conservative a wingnut or a racist, but its hard to tell whose trolling and whose being a racist at Breitbart. Regardless of the fact, engaging in "political" actions such as tweeting nigger to a black man or worst, is in fact bigoted, no matter the intention of the user. If he whines about being misunderstood on the internet, if he accuses people who understandably take offense at such a thing, that's his idiocy at work. Anonymity and grey legality doesn't excuse you from these actions, and they never should. Yiannopolous' readers clearly don't understand the difference between "being able" and "shouldn't be doing", yet they blurred the lines for their own twisted utopia devoid of any stigmas attached to anything.

If that isn't extremism of the worst sort than I don't know what is.

I am neither a democrat or a republican, nor do I support Black Lives Matters, so don't assume my positions, especially considering the few positions I take highly left are usually LGBT based. Yet I made it painfully clear that NOT propagating the mental illness mantra isn't instant support of all LGBT "rights".


Edit: This doesn't mean to take away from the idiocy of the WP or other sources, I just found that Breitbart is equally guilty, perhaps less so for actually admitting those are editorials.


I guess I can elaborate since you managed to dig into the position. "Extremism of the worst sort" is the issue at hand.

Reacting violently because you here words you were programmed to find offensive on behalf of yourself or others is extremism. Saying those words in protest is of censorship, is NOT extremism.



They're offensive for a reason, but a subjective standard nonetheless. In any case, going out of your way to use these statements in an effort to "subvert" political correctness, is not only stupid in my opinion, but enforces a world where words are devoid of meaning, and misses why PC is even a thing in the first place. Common courtesy anyone? This is especially true when they eschewed political correctness for an entirely different, cherry picked untruth. It's true to say most violent crimes is committed by blacks, but another to pedal Charles Murray's theory that racial IQ differences are entirely responsible for poverty among non whites.

That itself is not censorship to call out people for using violent or otherwise racially inflammatory rhetoric, which a lot of the internet right are fond of using. One might surmise its pointless because the internet was always a hive for extreme hate of every type, but I believe that to be another issue.


To clarify my point, it is the ideas that I am fighting against, not merely the words, although these statement are often accompanied by the rudest way of stating them.

In any case, I don't think using said statements to fight political correctness is a method worth using, yet Breitbart, and especially Milo, have been fond of spreading this idea based on a lack of empathy. It's the whole "I wouldn't mind it, why should you" argument, which is flawed for obvious reasons.

I'm not one to trade physical blows if that is what you mean? Not sure what you mean by reacting violently. I'm just talking here.



Edit: I'm not against discussing racial differences, for example, my p*** is only 4 or so inches. Typical for my people. I guess I should revise what I mean when I said I am against certain ideas.
Posted 9/19/16
It comes as no surprise that this, being the media is biased as fuck. It is a billion dollar business, after all, and has always been, about control and exploitation of flaws and insecurities within the human psyche, for instance greed, propaganda, sensationalism, controversy and outrage. Like what big businesses think via research, statistics, and surveys would interest the masses over and over which also happens to coincidently pay for their service expenses. How many people wouldn't want a luxury home, vehicle, or vacation, be successful and secure, to be well informed of risks, and be entertained.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.