First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Ad lengths almost as long as the show?
5 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / Dallas, TX
Offline
Posted 9/18/16 , edited 9/18/16
I just started watching Blue exorcist on Crunchyroll rather than going through illegal sites. I thought it was worth helping them, but this is ridiculous. In one ad sequence i had to watch 4 ads:

a 60 second ad, two 200 second ads, and a 260 second ad.

That's 720 seconds, or 7 minutes of ads in just one sequence. Why should i have to spend more time watching ads than the actual show? I really like being able to watch shows a week after they are out, but not if I have to sit down double the time of the show. I'd like to buy Crunchyroll premium, but until then, I'll stick to watching anime on sites where i don't have to watch 7-minute ad segments.
58678 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Dallas, TX
Online
Posted 9/18/16

DaviLas wrote:

I just started watching Blue exorcist on Crunchyroll rather than going through illegal sites. I thought it was worth helping them, but this is ridiculous. In one ad sequence i had to watch 4 ads:

a 60 second ad, two 200 second ads, and a 260 second ad.

That's 720 seconds, or 7 minutes of ads in just one sequence. Why should i have to spend more time watching ads than the actual show? I really like being able to watch shows a week after they are out, but not if I have to sit down double the time of the show. I'd like to buy Crunchyroll premium, but until then, I'll stick to watching anime on [redacted] and [redacted] where i don't have to watch 7-minute ad segments.


Naming those sites is against the /ToS, so you should edit them out of your post.
One Punch Mod
85916 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 9/18/16

DaviLas wrote:
I'd like to buy Crunchyroll premium, but until then, I'll stick to watching anime on sites where i don't have to watch 7-minute ad segments.


eyeofpain wrote:
Naming those sites is against the /ToS, so you should edit them out of your post.


Thanks eyeofpain. I've edited them out. DaviLas, please note for future reference that naming those kinds of sites is against CR's site rules.

5 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / Dallas, TX
Offline
Posted 9/18/16

lorreen wrote:


DaviLas wrote:
I'd like to buy Crunchyroll premium, but until then, I'll stick to watching anime on sites where i don't have to watch 7-minute ad segments.


eyeofpain wrote:
Naming those sites is against the /ToS, so you should edit them out of your post.


Thanks eyeofpain. I've edited them out. DaviLas, please note for future reference that naming those kinds of sites is against CR's site rules.



Thanks lorreen and eyeofpain, I'll keep that in mind next time.
23036 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/18/16
This is one of the reasons why I won't subscribe here.

Before you load a video you get two ads.
Before 5 minutes have passed in practically everything you get two to four more ads.
Halfway thru most shows you get another ad break.
Before the credits you get another one.

It makes me want to leave this site completely. I already know I have other options. So the question remains on why we have ads as long as the show in question and in case of some shows longer than the show in question.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/i-cant-understand-what-my-husband-is-saying/episode-1-how-i-got-into-hobbies-i-dont-understand-662377

3:30 worth of video or 210 seconds. ONE unlucky ad and you get more advertisement than show exists.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece/episode-240-eternal-farewell-nico-robin-the-woman-who-draws-darkness-654453

30 second initial ad, got to first ad point marker, 30 seconds second ad, attached another 20 second ad, attached another 30 second ad, attached another 15 second ad, started the opening credit point.

That's 125 seconds of advertisement for only watching 150 seconds of video so far.

If I have to reload the page because the video stream crashed out (amazingly often) I will get another set of these advertisements and can not continue where I left off without going thru them. Sometimes the anime I am watching will continue behind the ads. It's ridiculous. I subscribed until you ads started displaying things that I can not support even with ads on the page.

They still exist, but at least I can block the sides which are yet another ad attached to anything. So the question remains why are there so many ads? I believe the answer is purely because they can. Every dot on every video is another nightmare of endless possible chains of ads. I'm starting to consider deletion of my bookmark. I have other options. They're legal. They don't spam me with ads.

Give me a reason to stay CR.
58678 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Dallas, TX
Online
Posted 9/18/16

ArtyD42 wrote:

This is one of the reasons why I won't subscribe here.

Before you load a video you get two ads.
Before 5 minutes have passed in practically everything you get two to four more ads.
Halfway thru most shows you get another ad break.
Before the credits you get another one.

It makes me want to leave this site completely. I already know I have other options. So the question remains on why we have ads as long as the show in question and in case of some shows longer than the show in question.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/i-cant-understand-what-my-husband-is-saying/episode-1-how-i-got-into-hobbies-i-dont-understand-662377

3:30 worth of video or 210 seconds. ONE unlucky ad and you get more advertisement than show exists.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece/episode-240-eternal-farewell-nico-robin-the-woman-who-draws-darkness-654453

30 second initial ad, got to first ad point marker, 30 seconds second ad, attached another 20 second ad, attached another 30 second ad, attached another 15 second ad, started the opening credit point.

That's 125 seconds of advertisement for only watching 150 seconds of video so far.

If I have to reload the page because the video stream crashed out (amazingly often) I will get another set of these advertisements and can not continue where I left off without going thru them. Sometimes the anime I am watching will continue behind the ads. It's ridiculous. I subscribed until you ads started displaying things that I can not support even with ads on the page.

They still exist, but at least I can block the sides which are yet another ad attached to anything. So the question remains why are there so many ads? I believe the answer is purely because they can. Every dot on every video is another nightmare of endless possible chains of ads. I'm starting to consider deletion of my bookmark. I have other options. They're legal. They don't spam me with ads.

Give me a reason to stay CR.


If you were a Premium member in the past, and still getting ads, there was something on your system causing that.
23036 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/18/16
@eyeofpain: not a premium member now. Note the little crown missing.
The Wise Wizard
100941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 9/18/16

ArtyD42 wrote:

I have other options. They're legal. They don't spam me with ads.

Since you said, "They're legal", I'm curious what these other options are.

23036 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/18/16

TheAncientOne wrote:


ArtyD42 wrote:

I have other options. They're legal. They don't spam me with ads.

Since you said, "They're legal", I'm curious what these other options are.



I actually buy a majority of what I really want. Considering how long it took me to watch it was a worthy investment. It's legal to purchase a dvd overseas and ship it home. I'm not on live showing for pretty much everything listed here. My dvd collection is pretty but also gathering dust due to lack of time to be in front of computer as much as I'd prefer. I'd be buying more right now but I've got an unexpected dental bill that happened. And as said above linking sites that aren't here isn't exactly allowed. Even if they're cheaper and showing the exact same show and are actually listed as a publisher for something we're not supposed to do that.

Regardless of whatever you do and chill I can always find the ways that give me a permanent legal version of a show which I can actually watch without an internet connection at my own pace. Complete with pause and rewind options that don't load new ads.
The Wise Wizard
100941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 9/18/16 , edited 9/18/16

ArtyD42 wrote:

And as said above linking sites that aren't here isn't exactly allowed. Even if they're cheaper and showing the exact same show and are actually listed as a publisher for something we're not supposed to do that.

There is no restriction on linking to other legal sites. Anyone can do that and I have done so many times in the past. The key is legal. In other words, if in doubt, don't link, and don't mention.

CR has no rules against linking to shows on Daisuki, Hulu, Funimation, The Anime Network, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Anime Lab, etc..


I have to say I find the logic of "I don't subscribe (which means I wouldn't get ads) because of the ads on your free tier" rather puzzling.

23036 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/18/16

TheAncientOne wrote:
CR has no rules against linking to shows on Daisuki, Hulu, Funimation, The Anime Network, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Anime Lab, etc..



Then you already know a few of them. So why repeat them? It is nice having full versions of fairy tail onhand. But I also own a bunch of vhs dragonball, a ton of .//hack, final fantasy legend of the crystals and unlimited. I've been buying from overseas for years before CR existed. I'm here basically for One Piece right now. The ads are uninformative, useless information, or unimportant to me due to the object being sold.

My end of subscription date was the day they added a giant full page ad for a specific game that I will not mention anywhere which shouldn't have been anywhere on the site but was 18+ related. This existed even with subscription and could not be individually blocked at the time because it was an auto-playing video banner ad. I'm sure you still get those. I can block the banner ads but I do not block the video ones.

Now I can't delay anymore or I'll have to go thru comericals that I've already watched again.
The Wise Wizard
100941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 9/18/16

ArtyD42 wrote:

Then you already know a few of them. So why repeat them?

I could cite various reasons why those might not be viable alternatives to CR (especially depending on what shows one wants to watch), but I suppose that is beside the point. If they do have want you want and you find how they make it available acceptable, that is all that counts.


My end of subscription date was the day they added a giant full page ad for a specific game that I will not mention anywhere which shouldn't have been anywhere on the site but was 18+ related. This existed even with subscription and could not be individually blocked at the time because it was an auto-playing video banner ad. I'm sure you still get those. I can block the banner ads but I do not block the video ones.

Even if NoScript didn't block that, I wouldn't see it as I rarely visit the home page. When I come to CR I either go directly to the forums, my queue, or the news.

412 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 10/10/16
I wish when I press " skip ad" it is skip ad and not " next ad plz"
16013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/11/16 , edited 10/11/16
I wished after sitting thru 6 ads I wouldn't get BSOD. Reload sit thru 4 more ads then BSOD on every thing on the list. Maybe its their way of trying to push premium back onto me to remove the BSOD.
58678 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Dallas, TX
Online
Posted 10/11/16

Vinnievegaz wrote:

I wished after sitting thru 6 ads I wouldn't get BSOD. Reload sit thru 4 more ads then BSOD on every thing on the list. Maybe its their way of trying to push premium back onto me to remove the BSOD.


If you're getting a Blue Screen of Death, that sounds like it's an issue with your computer, not CR.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.