First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply A hypothetical situation...Involving aliens and war
12636 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Marshall, Michigan
Offline
Posted 9/18/16 , edited 9/18/16
Suppose it's the year 2056. In 2036, Aliens from a distant planet have introduced themselves. After 2 years, they were allowed to live among us. So far, they have been very peaceful, and have performed no hostile acts.
Now that has all changed. On October 21, 2056, the aliens government's military launched multiple attacks on earth-based military outposts. Thirty minutes later, they officially announced they were declaring war on our planet.

How should the government handle the aliens living among us?



Edit: Other than FTL spaceships, their technology seem to be of similar level to our own.
Posted 9/18/16 , edited 9/18/16
Who cares we're all gonna die anyway.
5617 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Korriban
Offline
Posted 9/18/16
It depends on if we had obtained any of their technology by that time, or if we were much less advanced.
Posted 9/18/16
If it's the reptilian aliens, none of us will survive...
Banned
6934 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
In a basket of de...
Offline
Posted 9/18/16
Pretty sure we die at that point.
7878 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
8500 / F / Apollo...
Offline
Posted 9/18/16
Hmm, hopefully the happy Andromedans, or Arcturians or Appollonians can come and whip us all back into shape. I'd rather learn the telepathic ways than fight against them.
2248 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/18/16
Other than FTL ships....

Yeah, we're boned.

The thing with introducing advanced techs is you have to consider the science behind them. If the aliens can break Light Speed then they have an understanding of physics way beyond ours. If they can build FTL space vehicles they also have an engineering capability way beyond ours.

That's automatically an advance in combat abilities that gives an auto-win.

It doesn't matter what you do with the "native" aliens at this point. Exile them, ignore them, use them as alien shields, shoot them. It makes no difference.

I see this problem a lot in stories that drop autonomous humanoid robots into "current" society and tech levels. The advance in power storage and miniaturisation alone in that situation would change the world.

We lose. Aliens win. Shoot the ones on earth, we might as well take some down with us.
1881 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 9/18/16 , edited 9/18/16
Maybe internment camps (ala American-Japanese ones during WWII) until the end of the war and with more humane conditions than historical ones. Perhaps with home and business protections for the xenos? It might not work if they immigrated en-masse to Earth though.

Edit: You guys are being very pessimistic about our chances of winning this war. Have some faith in your fellow man. Humanity will not be snuffed out by filthy warmongering xenos even with their superior technology. Sure they are better at engineering, but what about the bio-sciences? Chemistry? Perhaps we can engineer a super-virus to wipe out their ground forces, or astound them with the power of the atom. If all else fails we can have Mr. Goldblum transfer a virus onto their computers.
10600 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 9/18/16
I'm not sure you can have FTL ships if they're still stuck in the Stone Age like us.
10813 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Auburn, Washington
Offline
Posted 9/18/16

jtjumper wrote:

How should the government handle the aliens living among us?


According to the treaty we must have with them or they wouldn't be living among us.

Why does everyone think things in government just happen on a wink and a handshake? There are written laws establishing what will be done. The entire purpose of government is to generate those laws.
12636 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Marshall, Michigan
Offline
Posted 9/18/16

CasualObserver wrote:

Other than FTL ships....

Yeah, we're boned.

The thing with introducing advanced techs is you have to consider the science behind them. If the aliens can break Light Speed then they have an understanding of physics way beyond ours. If they can build FTL space vehicles they also have an engineering capability way beyond ours.


That's automatically an advance in combat abilities that gives an auto-win.

It doesn't matter what you do with the "native" aliens at this point. Exile them, ignore them, use them as alien shields, shoot them. It makes no difference.

I see this problem a lot in stories that drop autonomous humanoid robots into "current" society and tech levels. The advance in power storage and miniaturisation alone in that situation would change the world.

We lose. Aliens win. Shoot the ones on earth, we might as well take some down with us.



gornotck wrote:

I'm not sure you can have FTL ships if they're still stuck in the Stone Age like us.


I never said they built them.

10600 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 9/18/16

jtjumper wrote:


CasualObserver wrote:

Other than FTL ships....

Yeah, we're boned.

The thing with introducing advanced techs is you have to consider the science behind them. If the aliens can break Light Speed then they have an understanding of physics way beyond ours. If they can build FTL space vehicles they also have an engineering capability way beyond ours.


That's automatically an advance in combat abilities that gives an auto-win.

It doesn't matter what you do with the "native" aliens at this point. Exile them, ignore them, use them as alien shields, shoot them. It makes no difference.

I see this problem a lot in stories that drop autonomous humanoid robots into "current" society and tech levels. The advance in power storage and miniaturisation alone in that situation would change the world.

We lose. Aliens win. Shoot the ones on earth, we might as well take some down with us.



gornotck wrote:

I'm not sure you can have FTL ships if they're still stuck in the Stone Age like us.


I never said they built them.



Then they lose anyway. They have ships they cannot maintain, much less repair. Any damage is crippling, and space is notorious for MURDER.
13131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 9/18/16
It really depends on what the alien race is like. Are they a hive mind? Are they instinctual? What were the motivations behind these attacks? Too many unanswered questions.
12636 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Marshall, Michigan
Offline
Posted 9/18/16 , edited 9/18/16

gornotck wrote:

Then they lose anyway. They have ships they cannot maintain, much less repair. Any damage is crippling, and space is notorious for MURDER.


Back to the original question, how do we handle the alien immigrants?
10600 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 9/18/16

jtjumper wrote:


gornotck wrote:

Then they lose anyway. They have ships they cannot maintain, much less repair. Any damage is crippling, and space is notorious for MURDER.


Back to the original question, how do we handle the alien immigrants?


Obviously the same way that we've always handled sudden immigrant problems: shove them onto a piece of land we don't use much and wait for them to die off.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.