First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Is insanity bad?
Posted 9/28/16 , edited 9/28/16
I don't think mental illness should be considered as a state of mind that is merely on a different part of the spectrum. There are various kinds of mental illness and I'm sure some mentally ill people are able to manage without help, but a lot of people who struggle from disorders like depression, bipolar disorder, etc. do benefit from help.

By categorizing these disorders as illnesses, I feel like we encourage people to seek help more than if we just said that they were a little different from other people.
11139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 9/29/16
I have a mate who is borderline insane. It is not a good thing.
He annoys people, he is socially retarded, never moved out of home, barely worked a day in his life, he's been locked up in a metal type place and put on medication, he believes in magic and that he has powers and that the illuminati is after him and etc.
He thinks other mages attack him with magic also. Demons as well. Oh and he used to think that he could use his powers to win $ gambling. Oh and claims he has killed people using magic.
Posted 9/29/16

TheOriginalStraynge wrote:


iridi wrote:

Insanity is not a synonym for mental illness. It's a legal term to refer to when someone is incapable of being held accountable for their actions because of their mental state. It's also derogatory to call someone with a mental illness insane.

As someone mentally ill, I'll tell you now: there are some disorders that could just be considered part of normal human life if society were better prepared to handle them, but the vast majority shouldn't. Things get classified as disorders because they're harmful. Feeling like your ears are bleeding because of music over the loud speakers in a restaurant, or feeling completely disconnected from your body, or having a burning desire to take a blade to your skin... those things are awful and it sucks balls to deal with. It's not simple neurodiversity when your mind turns against you.


Well said.


I second this.
8062 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/30/16
Sanity is overrated.

Seriously though, if it's bad enough to make you a danger to yourself or others, or to stop you functioning in society then it's bad. Pretty much like anything else.

Otherwise it's just different, or makes life a bit more difficult for you. Suffer.
Ejanss 
16835 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/30/16

jtjumper wrote:

Should mental illness be considered as such? Or should it be consider part of a vast spectrum of neurodiversity?



neumaus wrote:

I'm just curious.
I was diagnosed with Schizoaffective bipolar disorder. I take two antipsychotics and I still have residual symptoms that lead me to believe that my brother wants to kill me, and I feel paranoid. It sucks and it makes things difficult.


So....how's YOUR family, JT?
12986 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / São Paulo
Offline
Posted 9/30/16

Ejanss wrote:


jtjumper wrote:

Should mental illness be considered as such? Or should it be consider part of a vast spectrum of neurodiversity?



neumaus wrote:

I'm just curious.
I was diagnosed with Schizoaffective bipolar disorder. I take two antipsychotics and I still have residual symptoms that lead me to believe that my brother wants to kill me, and I feel paranoid. It sucks and it makes things difficult.


So....how's YOUR family, JT?


This was really insensitive and idiotic, but okay, I guess. Since it is the internet.

Ejanss 
16835 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/30/16 , edited 9/30/16

T1mered wrote:


Ejanss wrote:


jtjumper wrote:

Should mental illness be considered as such? Or should it be consider part of a vast spectrum of neurodiversity?


neumaus wrote:

I'm just curious.
I was diagnosed with Schizoaffective bipolar disorder. I take two antipsychotics and I still have residual symptoms that lead me to believe that my brother wants to kill me, and I feel paranoid. It sucks and it makes things difficult.


So....how's YOUR family, JT?


This was really insensitive and idiotic, but okay, I guess. Since it is the internet.


We've had a lot of "What's so wrong? " threads lately, treating mental illness as just another Misunderstood Persecuted Minority, and trying to Blame Society For It, hoping to get in on the LGBT's Special-Snowflake-dom.

And say what you want about the LGBT, at least they don't give you the fear that they're going to kill you because you're a spawn of Satan and must be destroyed--If the mental-iillness community decided to euphamize themselves as "Rationality-challenged", it might not go over quite so successfully as other Intolerantly Bullied Minorities.

An illness is a condition where something doesn't work, and if you drive a car where the brakes make a funny sound, you don't just say "Oh, and I suppose your perfect car DOESN'T??"
4055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M
Offline
Posted 9/30/16
The concept of insanity is simply repeating same actions yet hoping for different results. To state such an obvious fact that is carried out by a sheer multitude of people daily. An example would be looking for your car keys... how many times did you look in same spot hoping THIS TIME, they would be there? By this definition, we are ALL, in some form or other, insane, yet most will be so put off by this small bit that it will rile the masses and incite full on flames!
4055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M
Offline
Posted 9/30/16
Also just to point out the thread differences, I have noticed that the concept of insanity goes hand in hand with 'mental iliness' on this forum post. Although the original topic was about insanity, and should be kept from the personal affronted and imagined attacks contained herein. Websters should classify insanity as the lack or reasonless doubt of sane and/or rational thought, but since its not a clear cut slice of black/white lines, but more a muddied grey on grey, and left up to the preferences of those that deem YOU or I as a sane, or insane individual. How does our society separate those types? Through morally imbiguous and shady backroom deals!
12986 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / São Paulo
Offline
Posted 9/30/16 , edited 9/30/16

Ejanss wrote:


T1mered wrote:


Ejanss wrote:


jtjumper wrote:

Should mental illness be considered as such? Or should it be consider part of a vast spectrum of neurodiversity?


neumaus wrote:

I'm just curious.
I was diagnosed with Schizoaffective bipolar disorder. I take two antipsychotics and I still have residual symptoms that lead me to believe that my brother wants to kill me, and I feel paranoid. It sucks and it makes things difficult.


So....how's YOUR family, JT?


This was really insensitive and idiotic, but okay, I guess. Since it is the internet.


We've had a lot of "What's so wrong? " threads lately, treating mental illness as just another Misunderstood Persecuted Minority, and trying to Blame Society For It, hoping to get in on the LGBT's Special-Snowflake-dom.

And say what you want about the LGBT, at least they don't give you the fear that they're going to kill you because you're a spawn of Satan and must be destroyed--If the mental-iillness community decided to euphamize themselves as "Rationality-challenged", it might not go over quite so successfully as other Intolerantly Bullied Minorities.

An illness is a condition where something doesn't work, and if you drive a car where the brakes make a funny sound, you don't just say "Oh, and I suppose your perfect car DOESN'T??"



You have a point, but the other person there is still a person. Simple as that. You are in no Right to say it. Mental disorders are called disorders for a good reason. They make the person and their relatives suffer. I have such an condition, but it isn't by any means extreme. It is a condition and always will be. I can treat it, but never get rid of it. Simple as that. I do not know why so much fuss around it from you. You can't fix it. Medicine is for putting things together. A car and an object you throw away or fix it. Many doctors do not have a grasp on this subject in the correct form, but those are disfunctions that can be retained under control. Not everyone can cure obssesions or depression. Usually it is a life long condition. My case is very rare BECAUSE I have hopes to attain it very low, but those are hopes and constant treatment. Also, mentally challenged is a stupid name for a condition that is harmful for the own person and not just for the others around he or she. There isn't really much to discuss except the ethos of saying something like that to someone unstable.
Ejanss 
16835 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/30/16 , edited 9/30/16

T1mered wrote:


Ejanss wrote:
We've had a lot of "What's so wrong? " threads lately, treating mental illness as just another Misunderstood Persecuted Minority, and trying to Blame Society For It, hoping to get in on the LGBT's Special-Snowflake-dom.

And say what you want about the LGBT, at least they don't give you the fear that they're going to kill you because you're a spawn of Satan and must be destroyed--If the mental-iillness community decided to euphamize themselves as "Rationality-challenged", it might not go over quite so successfully as other Intolerantly Bullied Minorities.

An illness is a condition where something doesn't work, and if you drive a car where the brakes make a funny sound, you don't just say "Oh, and I suppose your perfect car DOESN'T??"


You have a point, but the other person there is still a person. Simple as that. You are in no Right to say it. Mental disorders are called disorders for a good reason. They make the person and their relatives suffer. I have such an condition, but it isn't by any means extreme. It is a condition and always will be. I can treat it, but never get rid of it. Simple as that. I do not know why so much fuss around it from you. You can't fix it. Medicine is for putting things together. A car and an object you throw away or fix it. Many doctors do not have a grasp on this subject in the correct form, but those are disfunctions that can be retained under control. Not everyone can cure obssesions or depression. Usually it is a life long condition. My case is very rare BECAUSE I have hopes to attain it very low, but those are hopes and constant treatment. Also, mentally challenged is a stupid name for a condition that is harmful for the own person and not just for the others around he or she. There isn't really much to discuss except the ethos of saying something like that to someone unstable.


It would be even more insensitive to say "It's not MY fault YOU'RE crazy", even though straights say pretty much exactly the same thing to the LGBT. (Literally, in the case of TG.)

If you're suffering from HIV or cancer, or some other disease of the body, people may be unfairly afraid of it being "contagious", but at least they still respect the victim for being an otherwise reasonable guy who knows a hawk from a handsaw.
To translate fear of disease into fear of the person in those cases would be unfair (depending on how the HIV case caught his), because it makes no sense to judge the mind by the body.
In mental illness's case, the problem IS the mind, and all bets are off. To try and grab the same sympathy just because the other lucky crowd got some--or to try and academically abstract it into some Cheshire Cat "Aren't we all mad?" (no, I don't suffer from psychiatrically diagnosed schizo-polar disorder)--seems to be more just a baldfaced attempt to run away from the problem and blame other people for it, which only gets judgmentalism about the person's maturity and self-awareness...Again, which also seems to be the case with the other Persecuted Snowflakes.
Posted 9/30/16

Ejanss wrote:


T1mered wrote:


Ejanss wrote:
We've had a lot of "What's so wrong? " threads lately, treating mental illness as just another Misunderstood Persecuted Minority, and trying to Blame Society For It, hoping to get in on the LGBT's Special-Snowflake-dom.

And say what you want about the LGBT, at least they don't give you the fear that they're going to kill you because you're a spawn of Satan and must be destroyed--If the mental-iillness community decided to euphamize themselves as "Rationality-challenged", it might not go over quite so successfully as other Intolerantly Bullied Minorities.

An illness is a condition where something doesn't work, and if you drive a car where the brakes make a funny sound, you don't just say "Oh, and I suppose your perfect car DOESN'T??"


You have a point, but the other person there is still a person. Simple as that. You are in no Right to say it. Mental disorders are called disorders for a good reason. They make the person and their relatives suffer. I have such an condition, but it isn't by any means extreme. It is a condition and always will be. I can treat it, but never get rid of it. Simple as that. I do not know why so much fuss around it from you. You can't fix it. Medicine is for putting things together. A car and an object you throw away or fix it. Many doctors do not have a grasp on this subject in the correct form, but those are disfunctions that can be retained under control. Not everyone can cure obssesions or depression. Usually it is a life long condition. My case is very rare BECAUSE I have hopes to attain it very low, but those are hopes and constant treatment. Also, mentally challenged is a stupid name for a condition that is harmful for the own person and not just for the others around he or she. There isn't really much to discuss except the ethos of saying something like that to someone unstable.


It would be even more insensitive to say "It's not MY fault YOU'RE crazy", even though straights say pretty much exactly the same thing to the LGBT. (Literally, in the case of TG.)

If you're suffering from HIV or cancer, or some other disease of the body, people may be unfairly afraid of it being "contagious", but at least they still respect the victim for being an otherwise reasonable guy who knows a hawk from a handsaw.
To translate fear of disease into fear of the person in those cases would be unfair (depending on how the HIV case caught his), because it makes no sense to judge the mind by the body.
In mental illness's case, the problem IS the mind, and all bets are off. To try and grab the same sympathy just because the other lucky crowd got some--or to try and academically abstract it into some Cheshire Cat "Aren't we all mad?" (no, I don't suffer from psychiatrically diagnosed schizo-polar disorder)--seems to be more just a baldfaced attempt to run away from the problem and blame other people for it, which only gets judgmentalism about the person's maturity and self-awareness...Again, which also seems to be the case with the other Persecuted Snowflakes.


>>} who are you you write beautifully pls contact me.
Posted 9/30/16 , edited 9/30/16
Honestly, yes. No, I'm not talking about the "LOL I'M SO WEIRD" insanity. Real, actual, legal insanity is an incredibly unhealthy thing to have. Most people with mental illness though, aren't legally insane. They're just mentally ill.
12986 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / São Paulo
Offline
Posted 9/30/16 , edited 9/30/16

Ejanss wrote:


T1mered wrote:


Ejanss wrote:
We've had a lot of "What's so wrong? " threads lately, treating mental illness as just another Misunderstood Persecuted Minority, and trying to Blame Society For It, hoping to get in on the LGBT's Special-Snowflake-dom.

And say what you want about the LGBT, at least they don't give you the fear that they're going to kill you because you're a spawn of Satan and must be destroyed--If the mental-iillness community decided to euphamize themselves as "Rationality-challenged", it might not go over quite so successfully as other Intolerantly Bullied Minorities.

An illness is a condition where something doesn't work, and if you drive a car where the brakes make a funny sound, you don't just say "Oh, and I suppose your perfect car DOESN'T??"


You have a point, but the other person there is still a person. Simple as that. You are in no Right to say it. Mental disorders are called disorders for a good reason. They make the person and their relatives suffer. I have such an condition, but it isn't by any means extreme. It is a condition and always will be. I can treat it, but never get rid of it. Simple as that. I do not know why so much fuss around it from you. You can't fix it. Medicine is for putting things together. A car and an object you throw away or fix it. Many doctors do not have a grasp on this subject in the correct form, but those are disfunctions that can be retained under control. Not everyone can cure obssesions or depression. Usually it is a life long condition. My case is very rare BECAUSE I have hopes to attain it very low, but those are hopes and constant treatment. Also, mentally challenged is a stupid name for a condition that is harmful for the own person and not just for the others around he or she. There isn't really much to discuss except the ethos of saying something like that to someone unstable.


It would be even more insensitive to say "It's not MY fault YOU'RE crazy", even though straights say pretty much exactly the same thing to the LGBT. (Literally, in the case of TG.)

If you're suffering from HIV or cancer, or some other disease of the body, people may be unfairly afraid of it being "contagious", but at least they still respect the victim for being an otherwise reasonable guy who knows a hawk from a handsaw.
To translate fear of disease into fear of the person in those cases would be unfair (depending on how the HIV case caught his), because it makes no sense to judge the mind by the body.
In mental illness's case, the problem IS the mind, and all bets are off. To try and grab the same sympathy just because the other lucky crowd got some--or to try and academically abstract it into some Cheshire Cat "Aren't we all mad?" (no, I don't suffer from psychiatrically diagnosed schizo-polar disorder)--seems to be more just a baldfaced attempt to run away from the problem and blame other people for it, which only gets judgmentalism about the person's maturity and self-awareness...Again, which also seems to be the case with the other Persecuted Snowflakes.


The matter of the fact of your argument is that you think it is too much to expose and bleed suffering on the net, right ? Kinda of agree ,even though, I do not follow your lack of logic on arguing something so simple. You seem pissed off by the existence of people who talk about something that is normally taboo outside clinics or other institutions. And using the phrase "theoretic bullshit" just denounces against you. Please, do me a favor and do not summon this as reasonable logic. As for all that counts, YES it is a tricky subject and YES it usually is not pleaseant nor comfortable to see it around such an casual forum like this one. Do you want recognition for that or what? Because that is pretty much obvious.


12986 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / São Paulo
Offline
Posted 9/30/16

TotalQuirk wrote:

Honestly, yes. No, I'm not talking about the "LOL I'M SO WEIRD" insanity. Real, actual, legal insanity is an incredibly unhealthy thing to have. Most people with mental illness though, aren't legally insane. They're just mentally ill.


^ This.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.