First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Single Sex Public Classrooms
10638 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/21/16
While looking for unrelated subject matter in order to pursue a vendetta against good taste and human behavior, I came across the subject of dividing up public school attendees into monosexual groupings. It is suggested that this will and does improve behavior, interest expression, attendance, scholastic success, and general well-being among the affected variables.

What is your formed opinion about this matter which may or may not be somewhat older than you might suspect.
19493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / United States, DE
Offline
Posted 9/21/16
Sounds like a pretty stupid idea that won't do a damn bit of help if you ask me.
10638 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/21/16

YayForKittens wrote:

Sounds like a pretty stupid idea that won't do a damn bit of help if you ask me.


Why is that?
6992 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Earth
Offline
Posted 9/21/16 , edited 9/21/16
I think the quality of teachers needs to be improved. Stop wasting time with stupid social experiments.
Posted 9/21/16
I would rather take online courses
19493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / United States, DE
Offline
Posted 9/21/16 , edited 9/21/16

gornotck wrote:


YayForKittens wrote:

Sounds like a pretty stupid idea that won't do a damn bit of help if you ask me.


Why is that?


There are plenty of private single sex schools out there that still have tons of behavior problems. I don't see how separating males and females into different classrooms will do any better personally.

Edit: That's what I'm assuming this experiment is getting at anyway?

5827 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/21/16

Xxanthar wrote:

I think the quality of teachers needs to be improved. Stop wasting time with stupid social experiments.


ya that's more likely the issue bad teachers or lack of resources etc not the students themselves most of the time that gets in the way of a good education
17680 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Beyond The Boundary
Offline
Posted 9/21/16
Being able to Adapt to different environments and unforeseen circumstances plays a pivotal role further along the line. There are other ways to deal with this issue that don't waste valuable resources.
10638 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/21/16

YayForKittens wrote:

There are plenty of private single sex schools out there that still have tons of behavior problems. I don't see how separating males and females into different classrooms will do any better personally.

Edit: That's what I'm assuming this experiment is getting at anyway?



There will always be behavior problems, but that actually wasn't the focus that I was seeing in the articles discussing the matter.

The focus I was seeing was on, variously, boys not being taught in such a way as to work with boys' interests and activity levels, girls being overlooked in comparison to boys and being given both less leeway as well as less useful feedback, girls not speaking up enough in class when boys are present, boys competing for girls attention, and things of that nature. Basically the idea is to remove distractions and competing interests from the classroom. To be absolutely clear, though, it isn't an 'experiment', but an alternative education practice.
451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 9/21/16
Sounds like a great idea!

While we're at it, we should split classes up by race too!
10638 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/21/16

relt95 wrote:

Sounds like a great idea!

While we're at it, we should split classes up by race too!


Do you think that would help people to focus on their studies more? I know there was a few petitions for similar things at that one university recently.
5827 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/21/16

gornotck wrote:


YayForKittens wrote:

There are plenty of private single sex schools out there that still have tons of behavior problems. I don't see how separating males and females into different classrooms will do any better personally.

Edit: That's what I'm assuming this experiment is getting at anyway?



There will always be behavior problems, but that actually wasn't the focus that I was seeing in the articles discussing the matter.

The focus I was seeing was on, variously, boys not being taught in such a way as to work with boys' interests and activity levels, girls being overlooked in comparison to boys and being given both less leeway as well as less useful feedback, girls not speaking up enough in class when boys are present, boys competing for girls attention, and things of that nature. Basically the idea is to remove distractions and competing interests from the classroom. To be absolutely clear, though, it isn't an 'experiment', but an alternative education practice.


i think the problem goes both ways how you put it seems to be only seeing it from one perspective. if they make some class were its only girls or only boys too try and create teaching methods that better suit the differences in how boys and girls think and learn then i could understand how that could be a improvement.
48515 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 9/21/16
A middle school around these parts had done that for a few years in their English and math classes.
It works for them and it seems they're not gonna change anytime soon.
451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 9/21/16

gornotck wrote:


relt95 wrote:

Sounds like a great idea!

While we're at it, we should split classes up by race too!


Do you think that would help people to focus on their studies more? I know there was a few petitions for similar things at that one university recently.

Regardless about whether or not people are able to focus better on their studies, splitting people up by their appearances causes them to become unable to deal with being around people who don't look like them (example from anime: girls being scared of boys in high school because they went to a girls-only middle school).

Being separated from people (who are different than you) prevents you from learning what they are really like. Rather than learning about people by experiencing them for yourself, you are forced to learn about them from media (tv, movies, etc) or not at all.
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Online
Posted 9/21/16
Teachers needs to get better, spupid social experimnets won't do shit! If we start to devide people based on their gender then that's only gonna lead to more segregation between the genders as there's no open debates between the two
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.