First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply YouTube heroes mass censorship
17189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 9/25/16 , edited 9/25/16

runec wrote:


zinjashike wrote:
Mass flagging will be able to be used to censor speech without ever actually checking content of videos. Basically, it means someone can start flagging for ideological reasoning. It doesn't matter if it's right, left, trolls/SJW, etc. It's a bad fucking idea to allow flagging without content review.


So, to TLDR your argument:
Youtube is not going to do the very thing they just said they are going to do because you don't believe they will do it?

Well, I'm convinced. -.-
Youtubers have many reasons why they don't believe youtube will do a good job implementing this because they have done terribly in the past. Their copyright system is just bad.

Obviously law allows them to do what they want, but I think people are mainly criticizing the effectiveness of this new system. Crunchyroll is allowed to have a bad player, I can complain about it being bad and encourage crunchyroll to fix it...and they should.
9516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 9/25/16
We should have Crunchyroll heroes, and give everyone moderating abilities.
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Online
Posted 9/25/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

We should have Crunchyroll heroes, and give everyone moderating abilities.


To be frank I have more faith in Crunchyroll and it's community then I do with Youtube and it's toxic community. So something like that might work on CR, but it sure as hell wouldn't on youtube. Yes I'm well aware of some people who may not be suitable, but they would prob be easy to round out lol
9516 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 9/25/16

TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

We should have Crunchyroll heroes, and give everyone moderating abilities.


To be frank I have more faith in Crunchyroll and it's community then I do with Youtube and it's toxic community. So something like that might work on CR, but it sure as hell wouldn't on youtube. Yes I'm well aware of some people who may not be suitable, but they would prob be easy to round out lol


True. It would take quite a bit to dispel the order the mods have set up. Though seeing the raids on dislike bars both sides have unleashed on Youtube would prove your point though.
Banned
6934 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
In a basket of de...
Offline
Posted 9/25/16
I am a crunchyroll hero
7881 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / SCANDINAVIA
Offline
Posted 9/25/16
Sounds like something people will get really elitist about and frustrate people who are active on the site, not to mention content creators. Hopefully it won't affect anything for me...
3101 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M
Offline
Posted 9/25/16
666 ERROR: The content you are attempting to access has been found objectionable by foreign or domestic government agencies and/or affiliated organizations. Please remain where you are as teams are en route to transport you to a designated reeducation facility.
2700 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 9/25/16
At this point, is youtube even worth using any more?
I mean I get its unchallenged but holy crap. Its just going to kill it self.
Posted 9/25/16

TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:

I don't know the difference between a PS, VS, and some limited WH folder, and I can't code worth shit, but my shitty little rip sites with no actual function are located in a Dutch cold war bunker-- for the impending doom that follows the demise of YouTube.

We believe you, son. We believe you. https://youtu.be/7otAJa3jui8?t=18s
runec 
28280 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/25/16

FlyinDumpling wrote:Youtubers have many reasons why they don't believe youtube will do a good job implementing this because they have done terribly in the past. Their copyright system is just bad.

Obviously law allows them to do what they want, but I think people are mainly criticizing the effectiveness of this new system. Crunchyroll is allowed to have a bad player, I can complain about it being bad and encourage crunchyroll to fix it...and they should.


Oh, I know Youtube has a piss poor track record trying to figure this shit out in the realm of copyright. They've legally gone to bat over issues of "free speech" though. But arguing straight out that Youtube won't do exactly what they laid out they're doing is a tad disingenuous. Especially if you didn't even bother to read how it works before rejecting it.

I mean if you don't trust Youtube to manage it and you don't trust Youtubers to manage it then what precisely is the solution? Given the size and volume of Youtube, crowdsourcing the identification of videos that require review by staff is a solid idea. The alternative would be trying to have enough employees to just actively comb all the new content added to Youtube day in and day out.

Which just isn't feasible. About 86,000 hours of video gets uploaded to Youtube per day.


10615 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 9/25/16
i think people complaining are severely underestimating how big Youtube really is. they assume Youtube could work like CR and have a few moderators overseeing the content.


runec wrote:
Which just isn't feasible. About 86,000 hours of video gets uploaded to Youtube per day.


according to http://expandedramblings.com/index.php/youtube-statistics/ , about 300 hours of video are uploaded every minute.
there are 1440 minutes in a day, so this means Youtube gets (300 hour / min)(1440 min / day) = 432,000 hours of video per day.
about 5x greater than you'd think.
69881 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Oklahoma
Offline
Posted 9/25/16

namealreadytaken wrote:

i think people complaining are severely underestimating how big Youtube really is. they assume Youtube could work like CR and have a few moderators overseeing the content.


No, it's just you assume people think that way. The problem is if they have review staff on hand to check for accuracy already, they have proven to be erratic and overworked at best. When including mass flagging they would not only have to change how review is currently be handled, but dump a lot more money into it. For flagging to work effectively, it will always require an impartial review party that isn't rushed to give an honest assessment.

Instead, creators not it regularly seems you're dealing with a script and canned messages. No explanation, just vague TOS and strikes. Only major channels can get any real answer if something happens, and even then it's pulling teeth.
35035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 9/25/16 , edited 9/26/16
The whole thing looks to me like YouTube is trying to fulfill two main objectives:

1. Diffuse operations they would ordinarily be paying people to carry out throughout the general public to save money.

2. Diffuse blame for issues they've been facing criticism for lately while making no effort to substantively address them, like mass flagging videos for copyright violations without regard to fair use provisions and buckling to pressure from advertisers to strip revenue from videos containing selected content.

I can't fault a company for trying to save money, and I suppose this method of doing so isn't ethically suspect since the people participating are technically volunteering themselves. But I can fault them for trying to shift blame from themselves while not doing anything significant to rectify problems they've been facing criticism for already. That's dirty pool.
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Online
Posted 9/25/16

Hrafna wrote:We believe you, son. We believe you. https://youtu.be/7otAJa3jui8?t=18s


Aw how cute, it's trying to troll and be smart. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1qXQRpF08E

Once again you seem to have missed everything I said except a small thing and gotten stuck on it without seeing things as a whole.

Either way good bye, I won't bother replying to people like you who really aren't up for a intelligent debate or a constructive aspect of the discussion
466 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Seattle, Washington
Offline
Posted 9/25/16

Hail_King_Kakao wrote:

not sure what youtube are thinking these days.

Me either.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.