First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Is fandom inevitable?
148 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / British Columbia, CA
Offline
Posted 9/26/16
I've been dabbling in anime for roughly 4 years, but have never purchased merch, nor talked about anime with anyone without them broaching the subject first. Everything I've heard says you'll either end up an otaku or not liking it at all, but I'm still in the proverbial closet. Anybody else in the same boat?
6741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / CA
Offline
Posted 9/26/16

toquenotbeanie wrote:
Everything I've heard says you'll either end up an otaku or not liking it at all


That's total bs, there is always a middle ground.
18802 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 9/26/16
im a total otaku, body pillow and all, though the character on my pillow is from a video game lol
3057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The 2D World
Offline
Posted 9/26/16
Who is this "everyone" exactly? I love anime and manga but haven't bought any merch (because I'm a broke peasant) but intend to purchase eventually so I guess I'm in the same boat. Also why is there a galaxy photo?
3415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 9/26/16
More or less, yes.

Don't say you are on this "they are sending huge mobs after us because they are famous!" train.
I agree some things can be dealt differently and some people are just... and might attract the more dangerous types.
18802 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 9/26/16

jaykirbydudee wrote:

Who is this "everyone" exactly? I love anime and manga but haven't bought any merch (because I'm a broke peasant) but intend to purchase eventually so I guess I'm in the same boat. Also why is there a galaxy photo?


its a black hole, anything that comes near one is sucked in

I guess could be said the same of fandoms if you like that certain thing, in this case anime
3415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 9/26/16

redokami wrote:
its a black hole, anything that comes near one is sucked in
*she said*

11783 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Online
Posted 9/26/16 , edited 9/26/16
No, that's not true simply because "anime" isn't a genre like "action" or "comedy" or whatever. If you don't like shonen-animes anymore you can easily watch something completely else. We also have legal and cheap streaming sites now so you no longer have to spent a shitload of money to buy one season (if it's even possible to buy it) not knowing if you even like it because it was never broadcasted anywhere in your country.

But I guess I know what people who are saying things like that were watching .

Posted 9/26/16 , edited 9/26/16
My advice to you, good for you for not buying any merch, don't buy them. They just clutter up the house, and whenever you want to move out, you have to take those damned things with you.

I'm going to sell my collection some day, not yet. I'm hoping that it will accrue some value over time. I have 8 volumes of Lucky Star manga that are pretty profitable? since they're out of print because the company went out of business. I could sell them for more than what I bought them for, but I don't really want to part with them.

I also have 40 or so music albums, I really want to get rid of them, but I don't think anyone will even buy them for $2 on eBay. I only sell on eBay, because I think garage sale is embarrassing (for me). I wish I never bought physical copies of music, CLUTTER CLUTTER CLUTTER. Also, I'm no longer into those music that I bought 10 years ago.
91541 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Finland, city of...
Offline
Posted 9/26/16
Am i odd for never having been an proper fan of anything?In a sense that i have never amassed merch surrounding games,bands,anime/manga...I have always just enjoyed whatever they were able to produce.
Posted 9/26/16
Fanaticism is inevitable.
Posted 9/26/16
idk, some people are cool but whatevs

I hate fandoms they ruin things a lot.
11782 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / McDonough
Offline
Posted 9/26/16

Nalyx wrote:

idk, some people are cool but whatevs

I hate fandoms they ruin things a lot.


Can't really say I agree with you there. Fandoms are just extremely passionate. They don't ruin anything, people just get annoyed by them and ruin it for themselves.
187 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Georgia
Offline
Posted 9/26/16

Southern55 wrote:


Nalyx wrote:

idk, some people are cool but whatevs

I hate fandoms they ruin things a lot.


Can't really say I agree with you there. Fandoms are just extremely passionate. They don't ruin anything, people just get annoyed by them and ruin it for themselves.


Yeah, it's exactly as you say. While I personally believe that you should enjoy things in moderation, and that fandoms go against that belief, I don't let myself get worked up over it because they're simply enjoying something.
7910 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
8500 / F / Apollo...
Offline
Posted 9/26/16
I like/watch anime and read manga. It's been years. No one would assume I do though. I have no anime merch. There is the odd digital purchase of OSTs here and there, but it's not exactly physical.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.