First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Is Moe anime just for the Pedos?
josofo 
3 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Online
Posted 9/26/16 , edited 9/26/16
1335 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/26/16 , edited 9/26/16
I looked it up for us:

"Mo-Eh
Coined in Japan in the late '90s, "Moe" (萌え, pronounced as "Mo-Eh", derived from a Japanese word that means "budding, to sprout/bloom") is an ill-defined otaku term that means, amongst other things, "cute", "huggable", or "endearing".Jan 10, 2013"

I don't really know. I don't like damning whole groups, but I can say this: The amount of recent CR titles of little girls, and some for little boys, compared to anime I'd actually watch, makes me uncomfortable. Wrong atmosphere for me. Beyblade? I bought toys of that for my nephew, lol. Are parents getting CR subscriptions for their kids? Or is it something I just don't understand. Either way, its not something I signed up for. And the ratio is now way off, because there are no real new dramas on CR. It is either astrorobodude or nothing. Drama is typically oriented towards adults, but sometimes teens.

So I see that the CR subscription has been skewed lately, and it makes me think, "This community doesn't match me right now." It has been 3+ months since this is happening, and I am hoping it changes (to a more balanced adult:kiddy "blossoming" ratio) in the autumn, but if not, then its not really for me.

Which is fine, but CR needs to communicate that change to us...
9536 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 9/26/16 , edited 9/26/16

pacificjade wrote:

I looked it up for us:

"Mo-Eh
Coined in Japan in the late '90s, "Moe" (萌え, pronounced as "Mo-Eh", derived from a Japanese word that means "budding, to sprout/bloom") is an ill-defined otaku term that means, amongst other things, "cute", "huggable", or "endearing".Jan 10, 2013"

I don't really know. I don't like damning whole groups, but I can say this: The amount of recent CR titles of little girls, and some for little boys, compared to anime I'd actually watch, makes me uncomfortable. Wrong atmosphere for me. Beyblade? I bought toys of that for my nephew, lol. Are parents getting CR subscriptions for their kids? Or is it something I just don;t understand. Either way, its not something I signed up for. And the ratio is now way off, because their are no real new dramas on CR. It is either astrorobodude or nothing. Drama is typically oriented towards adults, but sometimes teens.

So I see that the CR subscription has been skewed lately, and it makes me think, "This community doesn't match me right now." It has been 3+ months since this is happening, and I am hoping it changes (to a more balanced adult:kiddy "blossoming" ratio) in the autumn, but if not, then its not really for me.


A predilection for cuteness is pretty common. Why do cat videos have so many likes?
1335 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/26/16 , edited 9/26/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


pacificjade wrote:

I looked it up for us:

"Mo-Eh
Coined in Japan in the late '90s, "Moe" (萌え, pronounced as "Mo-Eh", derived from a Japanese word that means "budding, to sprout/bloom") is an ill-defined otaku term that means, amongst other things, "cute", "huggable", or "endearing".Jan 10, 2013"

I don't really know. I don't like damning whole groups, but I can say this: The amount of recent CR titles of little girls, and some for little boys, compared to anime I'd actually watch, makes me uncomfortable. Wrong atmosphere for me. Beyblade? I bought toys of that for my nephew, lol. Are parents getting CR subscriptions for their kids? Or is it something I just don;t understand. Either way, its not something I signed up for. And the ratio is now way off, because their are no real new dramas on CR. It is either astrorobodude or nothing. Drama is typically oriented towards adults, but sometimes teens.

So I see that the CR subscription has been skewed lately, and it makes me think, "This community doesn't match me right now." It has been 3+ months since this is happening, and I am hoping it changes (to a more balanced adult:kiddy "blossoming" ratio) in the autumn, but if not, then its not really for me.


A predilection for cuteness is pretty common. Why do cat videos have so many likes?


That really wasn't even remotely what I was talking about, lol. Red herring in a cat costume. I am talking about market orientation, atmosphere, and fit.
9536 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 9/26/16 , edited 9/26/16

pacificjade wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


pacificjade wrote:

I looked it up for us:

"Mo-Eh
Coined in Japan in the late '90s, "Moe" (萌え, pronounced as "Mo-Eh", derived from a Japanese word that means "budding, to sprout/bloom") is an ill-defined otaku term that means, amongst other things, "cute", "huggable", or "endearing".Jan 10, 2013"

I don't really know. I don't like damning whole groups, but I can say this: The amount of recent CR titles of little girls, and some for little boys, compared to anime I'd actually watch, makes me uncomfortable. Wrong atmosphere for me. Beyblade? I bought toys of that for my nephew, lol. Are parents getting CR subscriptions for their kids? Or is it something I just don;t understand. Either way, its not something I signed up for. And the ratio is now way off, because their are no real new dramas on CR. It is either astrorobodude or nothing. Drama is typically oriented towards adults, but sometimes teens.

So I see that the CR subscription has been skewed lately, and it makes me think, "This community doesn't match me right now." It has been 3+ months since this is happening, and I am hoping it changes (to a more balanced adult:kiddy "blossoming" ratio) in the autumn, but if not, then its not really for me.


A predilection for cuteness is pretty common. Why do cat videos have so many likes?


That really wasn't even remotely what I was talking about, lol. Red herring in a cat costume. I am talking about market orientation, atmosphere, and fit.


Anime like Mujaki No Rakuen is not all that common, nor would it be considered typical moe. I was referring shows like Non Non Biyori and Ichigo Mashimaro, which appeal to a fair amount of females as well.

Though I think you misunderstood, he is referencing shows which emphasize the cute aspect of pubescent females in order to stimulate a reaction that many people unfamiliar with the genre often mistake for sexual attraction.
Posted 9/26/16 , edited 9/26/16
Imo no
I like moe
Sometimes I just want to watch cute girls doing cute things
Sometimes I want to watch people murder each other
22307 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M
Offline
Posted 9/26/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


pacificjade wrote:

I looked it up for us:

"Mo-Eh
Coined in Japan in the late '90s, "Moe" (萌え, pronounced as "Mo-Eh", derived from a Japanese word that means "budding, to sprout/bloom") is an ill-defined otaku term that means, amongst other things, "cute", "huggable", or "endearing".Jan 10, 2013"

I don't really know. I don't like damning whole groups, but I can say this: The amount of recent CR titles of little girls, and some for little boys, compared to anime I'd actually watch, makes me uncomfortable. Wrong atmosphere for me. Beyblade? I bought toys of that for my nephew, lol. Are parents getting CR subscriptions for their kids? Or is it something I just don;t understand. Either way, its not something I signed up for. And the ratio is now way off, because their are no real new dramas on CR. It is either astrorobodude or nothing. Drama is typically oriented towards adults, but sometimes teens.

So I see that the CR subscription has been skewed lately, and it makes me think, "This community doesn't match me right now." It has been 3+ months since this is happening, and I am hoping it changes (to a more balanced adult:kiddy "blossoming" ratio) in the autumn, but if not, then its not really for me.


A predilection for cuteness is pretty common. Why do cat videos have so many likes?


It must be the rampant bestiality in the subculture! </s>
2390 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 9/26/16 , edited 9/26/16

pacificjade wrote:

I don't really know. I don't like damning whole groups, but I can say this: The amount of recent CR titles of little girls, and some for little boys, compared to anime I'd actually watch, makes me uncomfortable. Wrong atmosphere for me. Beyblade? I bought toys of that for my nephew, lol. Are parents getting CR subscriptions for their kids? Or is it something I just don't understand.


Well, if we're talking original Beyblade, that's a show that many people in roughly my age group grew up watching on television. Same with Yu-gi-oh! Yes nostalgia is often scoffed at, but it's still marketable to an extent.

I can't exactly as easily explain listings for continuation series, but that's exactly what they are, though. Story/universe continuations. There's certainly going to be some that watch for those reasons.
32296 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / St.Louis - USA
Offline
Posted 9/26/16
788 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / The Great White N...
Offline
Posted 9/26/16
Nah. I like moe
9802 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 9/26/16 , edited 9/26/16
How can the "pedo" label be universally accurate when the target audiences for these shows are usually mid-teens and younger?
2390 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 9/26/16 , edited 9/26/16
Also I personally have always loved the medium of animation itself, so maybe my viewpoints are a little skewed. lol
1335 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/26/16 , edited 9/26/16

TRKitsune wrote:


pacificjade wrote:

I don't really know. I don't like damning whole groups, but I can say this: The amount of recent CR titles of little girls, and some for little boys, compared to anime I'd actually watch, makes me uncomfortable. Wrong atmosphere for me. Beyblade? I bought toys of that for my nephew, lol. Are parents getting CR subscriptions for their kids? Or is it something I just don't understand.


Well, if we're talking original Beyblade, that's a show that many people in roughly my age group grew up watching on television. Same with Yu-gi-oh! Yes nostalgia is often scoffed at, but it's still marketable to an extent.

I can't exactly as easily explain listings for continuation series, but that's exactly what they are, though. Story/universe continuations. There's certainly going to be some that watch for those reasons.


Correct, but why the massive ramp up in the past 3 months of shows like this or shows with the "super cute" factor? So, for me, its about ratio in terms of tolerability of pre-pubescent cuteness and the lack of much "re zero and alderamin types of shows".

So, to me, I see CR putting out more and more material of pre-pubescent nature. For kids, adults that like "super kawaii fun time", or for kinky adults. I don't know. But not for me. All about the ratio and better balance for their viewers.... No adult dramas for months is really not excusable. Half the reason I signed up -- to get adult content the legal way. Otherwise, my choices are mostly illegal, which I don't want to support.

And for all of this and the OP question, I blame CR for not communicating with its customers about what they are doing and if its a new direction. If it is, it would be courteous to let us know so we can decide its a personal fit or not. Anything less is disrespectful, patronizing, and rude.
28685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 9/26/16 , edited 9/26/16

pacificjade wrote:

Correct, but why the massive ramp up in the past 3 months of shows like this or shows with the "super cute" factor? So, for me, its about ratio in terms of tolerability of pre-pubescent cuteness and the lack of much "re zero and alderamin types of shows".

So, to me, I see CR putting out more and more material of pre-pubescent nature. For kids, adults that like "super kawaii fun time", or for kinky adults. I don't know. But not for me. All about the ratio and better balance for their viewers.... No adult dramas for months is really not excusable. Half the reason I signed up -- to get adult content the legal way. Otherwise, my choices are mostly illegal, which I don't want to support.

And for all of this and the OP question, I blame CR for not communicating with its customers about what they are doing and if its a new direction. If it is, it would be courteous to let us know so we can decide its a personal fit or not. Anything less is disrespectful, patronizing, and rude.


Crunchyroll gets their hands on whatever they can get their hands on. Publishers who outsource their anime to bidders. I don't really think it's simply a case of Crunchyroll ignoring all the adult dramas, but rather that they are very few and far between. If you really want to blame someone, blame Japan. They're the ones who control what's being put out these days.
1335 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 9/26/16

Lemontitties wrote:


pacificjade wrote:

Correct, but why the massive ramp up in the past 3 months of shows like this or shows with the "super cute" factor? So, for me, its about ratio in terms of tolerability of pre-pubescent cuteness and the lack of much "re zero and alderamin types of shows".

So, to me, I see CR putting out more and more material of pre-pubescent nature. For kids, adults that like "super kawaii fun time", or for kinky adults. I don't know. But not for me. All about the ratio and better balance for their viewers.... No adult dramas for months is really not excusable. Half the reason I signed up -- to get adult content the legal way. Otherwise, my choices are mostly illegal, which I don't want to support.

And for all of this and the OP question, I blame CR for not communicating with its customers about what they are doing and if its a new direction. If it is, it would be courteous to let us know so we can decide its a personal fit or not. Anything less is disrespectful, patronizing, and rude.


Crunchyroll gets their hands on whatever they can get their hands on. Publishers who outsource their anime to bidders. I don't really think it's simply a case of Crunchyroll ignoring all the adult dramas, but rather that they are very few and far between. If you really want to blame someone, blame Japan. They're the ones who control what's being put out these days.


That is not wholly true at all. First, the lack of communication. Only emails I get are from forum replies. Second, they have put old shows on CR and they're great shows. They don't have to be brand new. Just new to us paying customers. Hell, I'd gladly pay CR double (not kidding) if they were more on the ball and more proactive and balanced.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.