First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Political Board, do you think we should have one?
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 9/28/16
Well, since the only reason for doing so would be because a few forumers don't like the subject matter, no.
10771 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / MO, USA
Offline
Posted 9/28/16

Xxanthar wrote:

It's election season. naturally there will be lots of political discussions.

I propose a "Care Bear" forum for all the easily triggered and sensitive snowflakes. The only thing allowed to be discussed will be the weather.



XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

Well, since the only reason for doing so would be because a few forumers don't like the subject matter, no.


Did EITHER of you actually read anything I said? I'm not "triggered". Go ahead, go back and read. It's not going anywhere.
qwueri 
16472 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Online
Posted 9/28/16

runec wrote:


qwueri wrote:
People were pissed about Obama, about Bush Jr., and about Clinton. The half that didn't win is always pissed. Maybe if Trump actually gets into office it'll be outrage of the week, but it'll be relegated to one or two threads a week at most.


If its Trump it'll be daily. It's already daily and I doubt becoming president would make turn it down a notch. Heck, if he wins you may as well just put cameras in the White House and let us all watch the season finale of the reality TV show half the electorate seems to think this is. >.>

I mean if not for the threat of global destabilization I would totally watch that. Is there some way we can convince Trump he's president without electing him? Like could we tell him he won but then tell him we have to whisk him away to a safe location because of all the haters and the losers? Send him off to a mansion on an island somewhere full of hidden cameras. Then we can send him daily briefings and ask for his decisions on fictional world events. Introduce actors as various foreign dignitaries ( its not like he would know otherwise ).

Then maybe for the season finale we could find a Putin impersonator to live with him for a week. Tell him Putin is hiding out and needs his advice on how to make Russia great again. They could trade stories of manly bravado over 3am gas station burritos while watching reruns of The Nanny.





I think the main drama would be which cabinet member did Trump fire this week. Usually for telling him his request isn't possible. From Trump himself I don't think he will actively do much more than tweet stupid things. He's a loudmouthed figurehead who pays people to do things for him, and egotistical enough to disregard their advice on what to say when baited.

It's doubtful that he even has a solid plan for what he himself will do in office, other than delegate agendas to his cabinet. Hence why he is so light on actual policy stances, he's ignorant of what presidential duty entails. The man thinks Clinton's 'target Isis strongholds, work with allies, and beef up national defense' is sensitive information for goodness sakes. As aggressive as he sounds about building a wall, attacking Isis, and tariffs on China, I don't think he has the first idea of how to accomplish any of it. And perhaps even the first inclination on following though.

Beneath the bluster, the man's a coward. He's afraid of losing face, but he's more afraid of confrontation. Hence why he uses middle management to stiff contractors and employees, and rarely follows through with lawsuits. He degrades America's global presence by proximity to the office, but I doubt he will actually do more than build a corrupt cabinet and run his mouth on social media.

A Trump presidency would be a whole lot of white noise. At least until he's busted for misusing funds/policy/knowledge for his and his family's benefit.
7167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Earth
Offline
Posted 9/28/16
Like I said, this will all die down after November. Have you even been to a political forum? If you have, you wouldn't want one here. they would need many more mods to police a political forum. Some topics get REALLY nasty. At least in GD the mods can kill the nasty threads that pop up, and nobody will say anything. Killing a thread on a political forum starts little mini flame wars about censorship and favoritism.

Either ban politics all together or leave it be and wait for the storm to pass. I think that a political forum here would be a nightmare with this crowd.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 9/28/16 , edited 9/28/16

AkitoMadaka wrote:

Did EITHER of you actually read anything I said? I'm not "triggered". Go ahead, go back and read. It's not going anywhere.

Did I fucking say you were?

I went back. I read (again). I found this:

While GD is a very inclusive, and a fairly light-hearted board, I feel that politics ill suits it. With any political or social event, there are numerous facts to examine, rumors to fact-check, and beliefs to be weighted and examined. The debates tend to, at times, get heated. This makes subjects go on for an alarming number of posts.

I also feel that these discussions could be enriched somewhat if they had their own board.
Many people who post primarily on GD are here to joke around, share content, and socialize. Many people here are somewhat less likely to be interested in long draw-out political debates, due to not being as aware(or even interested) in current world events. If there were a "Political Board" users would know exactly what they were getting into before they even posted.

You may think I'm referring to blue, but I'm referring solely to red, where you argue that because a few (or, in your words, many) people dislike engagement in political discussion, that it needs to move to a different discussion board.

Blue text are your opinions, and I didn't make a comment on either.

Black text is irrelevant and quoted before I'm told that I'm "cutting out" relevant info.

Red text is an appeal to a belief shared by those who only comment between their favorite shows to tell everyone that they "came here to watch anime".
10771 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / MO, USA
Offline
Posted 9/28/16

Xxanthar wrote:

Like I said, this will all die down after November. Have you even been to a political forum? If you have, you wouldn't want one here. they would need many more mods to police a political forum. Some topics get REALLY nasty. At least in GD the mods can kill the nasty threads that pop up, and nobody will say anything. Killing a thread on a political forum starts little mini flame wars about censorship and favoritism.

Either ban politics all together or leave it be and wait for the storm to pass. I think that a political forum here would be a nightmare with this crowd.


"Another great point. Right now though, politics seems to be a hot topic. As seen with ED boards can be added, and then removed should the need arise.

I expect politics to continue to be a trend we see in GD even after the election, as a greater sense of political awareness seems to be growing."

Just because something might be difficult, doesn't mean it isn't worth doing. I popped my head in /pol/ and seen where that went. I'd like to think we're better than that.
10771 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / MO, USA
Offline
Posted 9/28/16 , edited 9/28/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


AkitoMadaka wrote:

Did EITHER of you actually read anything I said? I'm not "triggered". Go ahead, go back and read. It's not going anywhere.

Did I fucking say you were?

I went back. I read (again). I found this:

While GD is a very inclusive, and a fairly light-hearted board, I feel that politics ill suits it. With any political or social event, there are numerous facts to examine, rumors to fact-check, and beliefs to be weighted and examined. The debates tend to, at times, get heated. This makes subjects go on for an alarming number of posts.

I also feel that these discussions could be enriched somewhat if they had their own board.
Many people who post primarily on GD are here to joke around, share content, and socialize. Many people here are somewhat less likely to be interested in long draw-out political debates, due to not being as aware(or even interested) in current world events. If there were a "Political Board" users would know exactly what they were getting into before they even posted.

You may think I'm referring to blue, but I'm referring solely to red, where you argue that because a few (or, in your words, many) people dislike engagement in political discussion, that it needs to move to a different discussion board.

Blue text are your opinions, and I didn't make a comment on either.

Black text is irrelevant and quoted before I'm told that I'm "cutting out" relevant info.

Red text is an appeal to a belief shared by those who only comment between their favorite shows to tell everyone that they "came here to watch anime".


"The problem is that the boards are labeled for a reason.I realize that GD is a grey area and these posts have every right to exist. Surely if you believe the idea of what you said, why not combine all the boards into a mega-board? The reason this doesn't work is because boards are divided is so people can efficiently find topics that interest them. If there were a political board, GD would be cleared of most of the posts, and those interested would have an easier time finding the particular topics that they want to read about or discuss."

^Color coat that
Posted 9/28/16
Didn't they have one a long time ago that they took down? That's why there are so many political threads in General Discussion. Though it would be nice, so people wouldn't have to wade through all of these debates to get to something that's not controversial and full of people "debating" on an internet forum.
10771 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / MO, USA
Offline
Posted 9/28/16

TotalQuirk wrote:

Didn't they have one a long time ago that they took down? That's why there are so many political threads in General Discussion. Though it would be nice, so people wouldn't have to wade through all of these debates to get to something that's not controversial and full of people "debating" on an internet forum.


Amen. Sadly a political debate is running through this thread too. God Bless them. I'm just glad I could get the idea out there. Surely a mod has seen the thread by now and deciding what to do. That's all I really wanted was the option considered. I have a life and work, so I'm going back off to that I guess.


God bless all of you who read this far. Have a great day.
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 9/28/16 , edited 9/28/16
So you're suggesting the return of the extended discussion or whatever it was called back in the day. I'm all for that, would clean up general a LOT!

But if they stay where they are then I don't really care, their just as good where they are right now
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 9/28/16 , edited 9/28/16

AkitoMadaka wrote:

"The problem is that the boards are labeled for a reason.I realize that GD is a grey area and these posts have every right to exist. Surely if you believe the idea of what you said, why not combine all the boards into a mega-board? The reason this doesn't work is because boards are divided is so people can efficiently find topics that interest them. If there were a political board, GD would be cleared of most of the posts, and those interested would have an easier time finding the particular topics that they want to read about or discuss."

^Color code[FTFY] that

Like that?
51507 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 9/28/16
I've been in favor of this ever since Extended Discussions got removed and all the political cancer discussions were moved to GD. I enjoyed GD a lot more before that happened. It wasn't nearly as stressful to look at as it is today.

I believe one of the biggest issues with Extended Discussions was that hardly anyone went there. It was just the same handful of idiots going back and forth trying to be king of a ghost town. Maybe labeling it as "Political" would actually draw more attention to it. I actually didn't know about ED until just weeks before it got removed.


qwueri wrote:

XD

People were pissed about Obama, about Bush Jr., and about Clinton. The half that didn't win is always pissed. Maybe if Trump actually gets into office it'll be outrage of the week, but it'll be relegated to one or two threads a week at most.


Maybe if this was a normal election. It's rare to see a significant portion of people within a major party hating their own nominee. Against all logic, both major parties somehow nominated people like that... Trump and Hillary both have record high unfavorable ratings constantly in the 60's and 70's. Those numbers only go up among younger voters. Whichever one of them wins this election, the amount of people who won't be satisfied won't be as small as 50%. Electing someone as toxic as one of them will open up Pandora's box. There's never been an election like this before.


runec wrote:




Sounds great. The ratings would be YUGE! This is a brilliant way of solving one of our major problems while at the same time keeping Trump from protesting. Now if only we could solve that other major problem that's plaguing the democrats right now...
2301 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M
Offline
Posted 9/28/16
No! This is NOT a political site. Heck, I've already broken my number 2 rule which is NEVER to talk politics online here. I don't like to talk politics or religion. If I want that then I'll got to a political site. Going to avoid ALL political topics here from now on. . Most political forums are just nasty people flaming each other. Just a bunch of tem red or team blue cheerleaders waving their pom pom's, never realizing how ridiculous they ALL sound. You want to promote hate then the best way to do that is to open a political forum. Not sure why you'd want to encourage this. The last thing ANY political forum does is promote "awareness."

16821 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 9/28/16
General discussion is normally full of "what's your hair color" and threads where literally nothing happens. This is an improvement that will only last till the election.


Hrafna wrote:

As much as I would like to say "Yes, thank you!" and agree, I wouldn't recommend it. Study shows that if you make these guys feel like they don't have a platform from which they can reach out to us with their stupid repetitive shit that they are more likely to go shoot up schools :/


Source?
1472 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23
Online
Posted 9/28/16 , edited 9/28/16
Interesting. I recently posted in the "feedback and suggestions" sub-forum where I mentioned related feelings on the matter.

I agree that most users probably dislike political threads. In my post I talked about how the current system seems to inherently favor controversy. My suggestion was to give users the ability to "thumbs-up" threads. The forum organization would function similar to a comments section, but without the ability to downvote. As it stands, new political threads are more likely to get to the top because:

1) All new threads start at the top
2) Every post bumps a thread to the top, making controversial threads more likely to stay on the front page
3) Threads only sink lower if a lower thread is bumped
4) Political threads constantly being bumped provides positive reinforcement to the creators, encouraging more threads of that type.

If we organize threads by what users actually like to see in addition to "latest replied" with a vote system, then I think political threads would naturally sink as the hidden will of the "lurker" users (for lack of a better term) becomes more visible.

But that was just my idea. I wouldn't mind seeing ED return. I never really understood why they got rid of it to begin with. They fixed what wasn't broken.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.