First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Post Reply Decline in good anime
70886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 10/3/16

Lemontitties wrote:


stars201 wrote:

The last good anime I truly enjoyed and completed was Sword Art Online I and this was back in 2014

Nowadays I keep dropping everything and have a hard time getting into new anime



I would suggest just sticking to manga for the most part. That's what I've done, I don't watch much anime on here anymore because of the OP's reason.


...The last anime you enjoyed was sword art online?... go watch One punch man NOW! you will marathon it and you will have no regrets.
1234 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Online
Posted 10/3/16 , edited 10/3/16

srlan23 wrote:

The problem isn't the lack of good anime the problem is that your taste in anime is too limited. Pretty much everything you name are action-heavy shonen or seinen anime and it isn't a surprise that many animes aren't like that.


I was giving some examples but i do like a variety of types.. Clannad, working,GTO, wolf and spice, gin no sanji, ghost hunt, kuroko no basketball, MAjor an many more. I dont mind a good romance, or comedy I just named some big hits because you dont see any like it these days. but to many to name my friend i fill out this forum lol..
1080 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 10/3/16 , edited 10/3/16

thatguy9099 wrote:

I'm sorry I just have to rant a little bit but what happen to anime.. When I was growing up You get great shows like yuyu hakusho, outlaw star, dragonball z, rurouni kenshi an so on. but nowadays nothing but these Girly anime shows are coming out or freaking magical girl.. yaoi type anime seems to be popular. I just dont get it. i dont even watch half the line up when shows come out anymore. unless an anime is hit like naruto or have ecchi scenes (tits an ass) showing they dont make it anymore. Are japanese viewers so freaking creepy they cant rate a good show when they see it anymore??? I know I'm not gonna like every show that comes out but to me it seems like 70% of shows that come out anymore are terrible. 20% are decent an that last 10% are good.. Just my opinion on matter though. like to hear everyone elses thoughts as well.


I agree that magical girl shows (really Madoka Magica ripoffs) and male idol/reverse harem shows are two genres that have risen a lot in recent years, and that's a bummer if you don't like them.

On the other hand, the classic "all the best things came out x years ago and everything now is bad" is a claim that fans of every kind of entertainment have made in the past, make now, and will make again in the future. It's true that art forms have their ups and downs (see the rise of quality in American TV vs. Hollywood movies in recent years), but there's always something good out there.

Finally, I would say that 70% is actually a pretty good number for the amount of junk (or at least stuff that doesn't fit your taste) in any entertainment media. Look at 70% of music, or movies, or books, or TV. There's a lot of garbage there too. There's going to be what, 50 shows simulcast this season? More? If 30% is watchable and 10% is really good, that's not so bad, in my opinion.

Seriously though, there are too many male idol shows right now, I'll give you that.
Vimme 
34 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Eastern North Car...
Offline
Posted 10/3/16
Eh, every medium has been in decline since the day the first thing in it was made, everything was better X years ago, everything now sucks, etc. etc.

Sounds like to me you just can't find enough anime in the specific genre you like, not that anime is bad now.

If there's an actual problem in anime, I'd say it's how the majority of the shows now are 1 cour 12 episode seasons that rarely get season 2s.
28685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 10/3/16

Vimme wrote:


If there's an actual problem in anime, I'd say it's how the majority of the shows now are 1 cour 12 episode seasons that rarely get season 2s.


Yet The Ass War somehow got a season 2...
17031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 10/3/16

Fried_Twinky wrote:


Lemontitties wrote:


stars201 wrote:

The last good anime I truly enjoyed and completed was Sword Art Online I and this was back in 2014

Nowadays I keep dropping everything and have a hard time getting into new anime



I would suggest just sticking to manga for the most part. That's what I've done, I don't watch much anime on here anymore because of the OP's reason.


...The last anime you enjoyed was sword art online?... go watch One punch man NOW! you will marathon it and you will have no regrets.


Seriously....OPM is a great shonen and a funny parody on shonen tropes. Also, go see Mob Psycho 100.(same author)
17031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 10/3/16

Kintor wrote:

I agree with what the OP is saying, this shift towards low budget 'fan service' anime is not something I welcome. Good storytelling requires both care and effort, especially when a studio wants that anime to sell lots of merchandise. Instead, so many studios today are taking the easy path and churning out the worst kind of garbage imaginable, creating an endless array of fan service shows that are both creepy and distasteful to say the least. In the end this shift is ultimately self-destructive, tarnishing anime's reputation internationally in a race to the bottom where no studio will be able to make a profit anymore.


Go watch Mob Psycho 100 or Space Patrol Luluco.


I agree that some shows need a course in screenwriting, but fanservice in both genders is what sells the most.
14477 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Moving around or...
Offline
Posted 10/3/16
They have some good stuff appear once in a while. When there isn't, I go back and watch Slam Dunk for the 10th time.
3268 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / Somewhere...
Offline
Posted 10/3/16

Ctonhunter wrote:

You got to dig through a whole bunch of donkey doo before you find the diamonds.

Companies need to make money, and the easiest way is to shovel out what is popular. The masses will eat it up, therefore lining the companies pockets. As long as we continue to eat up "half assery" companies will continue. We the consumers do have a lot of say in what the companies will produce. If they see that Magical Girl Moe Yaoi is in then there is what we shall be seeing in large chunks. It's easier for them and safer. Though there are still plenty of great series out there, you just need to know where to look.


I agree so much with this. I grew up on late 80s/early 90s anime, and while it holds a special place in my heart, there really is some good stuff that comes out. Sometimes you have to expand your horizons, watch something you might not have before (different genre or style), and be open to some suggestions from others. It's so easy to fall into the "things were better back in my day" mindset, when the fact is that there are some great things still coming out. What's great to you might not be the same to me, but it is out there.
21307 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Manitoba
Offline
Posted 10/3/16
I used to get sick of seeing this being posted but, this year it finally has become relevant. Anime picked up and was really good in 2011 and has been in decline and now this has been the worst year for anime in decade and Winter 2014 is the worst anime season in decades.

So many shows have become either advertisements for the manga, moe blob, wishfulness fantasy or get ruined by fan service. Yes there are still decent shows every season, but we haven't had one show I would recommend to someone out of season. The only shows even close were Erased until it blew itself up 4 episodes in and Durarara which turned itself into an otaku pander fest. It took the well developed female lead and turned her into a generic tsundere that's his boyfriend rather than a strong independent taking names kinda woman she was for the last three seasons.
JuJu26 
27552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Online
Posted 10/3/16
I'm waiting for that one person that opposes this argument by saying [Insert anime series] is the "Savior of anime"

Basically, there's no decline. I'm coming out strong here, but...you're wrong and you're not watching enough.

Done..
1464 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23
Online
Posted 10/3/16
Yes. Anime is dead. It's been taken over by people like me who like slice of life, magical girls, reverse harems, moe, CGDCT, and anything generically shoujo or josei.

You can cling to the dying gasp that is "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure" which from what I gather fans like you seem to still enjoy. After that you should leave so that bacteria like me can enjoy ourselves decomposing the corpse.



No, seriously though, I've responded to too many threads like these already. Go searching in this topic's earliier incarnations and maybe you'll find the answer you're looking for.
24306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Various
Offline
Posted 10/3/16 , edited 10/3/16
From my perspective? The old action-oriented shonen things are no more to my taste than the gaggles of moe girls that they do now.

Honestly, I don't think "anime" has ever been good, in the sense that I don't think there was ever a season where the majority of shows were decent. But I don't think there's ever been a season/year/however it's counted of any medium where more than half were decent. Unless there were only three shows and two were good, I don't think it's possible, unless your tastes are so broad that you really have no taste to speak of.

You know what, though? I do have to say one thing about anime recently.

A few people complain about too much yaoi/reverse-harem/sports/male-fanservice anime, and... I love bishonen - pretty boys are one of the things that a show must have to keep me interested - but I really hate the recent shows like that, with two exceptions - K, and Kamigami no Asobi. Because the rest have no plot. Okay, I guess you could call "sports" a plot, but it's not a good plot. ... Everyone hated Valvrave, but I can't get enough of those guys. You know, the team L-elf "betrayed"? Except they had about 30 seconds of screentime per episode. If the show were about them, it would have been good.

What needs to happen is for there to be a year with multiple shows with plots like Code Geass and K, but with more bishonen fanservice/yaoi. Kamigami no Asobi could have been that good - and as it stands, it's better than almost everything else, but it could have been even better if it weren't constrained to that harem format.

Then again, I like these shows because they're optimistic and not overly violent, but the trend seems to be the opposite of that nowadays, anyway...

5926 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / montana
Offline
Posted 10/3/16
its better than anything from western media... so im grateful. ty anime
17031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 10/3/16

LavenderMintRose wrote:

From my perspective? The old action-oriented shonen things are no more to my taste than the gaggles of moe girls that they do now.

Honestly, I don't think "anime" has ever been good, in the sense that I don't think there was ever a season where the majority of shows were decent. But I don't think there's ever been a season/year/however it's counted of any medium where more than half were decent. Unless there were only three shows and two were good, I don't think it's possible, unless your tastes are so broad that you really have no taste to speak of.

You know what, though? I do have to say one thing about anime recently.

A few people complain about too much yaoi/reverse-harem/sports/male-fanservice anime, and... I love bishonen - pretty boys are one of the things that a show must have to keep me interested - but I really hate the recent shows like that, with two exceptions - K, and Kamigami no Asobi. Because the rest have no plot. Okay, I guess you could call "sports" a plot, but it's not a good plot. ... Everyone hated Valvrave, but I can't get enough of those guys. You know, the team L-elf "betrayed"? Except they had about 30 seconds of screentime per episode. If the show were about them, it would have been good.

What needs to happen is for there to be a year with multiple shows with plots like Code Geass and K, but with more bishonen fanservice/yaoi. Kamigami no Asobi could have been that good - and as it stands, it's better than almost everything else, but it could have been even better if it weren't constrained to that harem format.

Then again, I like these shows because they're optimistic and not overly violent, but the trend seems to be the opposite of that nowadays, anyway...



Then you get fanboys screaming 'FUJOSHIT EWW' like they're already doing with Touken Ranbu...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.