First  Prev  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  Next  Last
Post Reply Yuri!!! on Ice Discussion
1392 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/1/16

Fornarina wrote:

Lol They should put a little warning for the crazy endorphin rush you might get watching this show. I always end up feeling all happy and fuzzy afterward! Instant anti-depressant. This will be a show I end up buying, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really hope they find great voice actors for the English version! (If they do a dub! I sure hope so) I feel like I just want to go take a nap in a bed of big fluffy blankets.


I sure hope there are some good extras available for this show, I want high quality scans of some of the scenery shots because they would make really nice source material for my linocut hobby.
57010 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 12/1/16

Fornarina wrote:

Lol They should put a little warning for the crazy endorphin rush you might get watching this show. I always end up feeling all happy and fuzzy afterward! Instant anti-depressant. This will be a show I end up buying, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really hope they find great voice actors for the English version! (If they do a dub! I sure hope so) I feel like I just want to go take a nap in a bed of big fluffy blankets.


FUNimation is simuldubbing YOI in English. They're only three episodes behind, and I personally love the dub! The translation they're using is helping to make things clearer. And the voice actors are great!
2021 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/1/16
That reunion!
They didn't even need to say anything when those doors opened, Victor just opened his arms and Yuri into his embrace like it was home! There are anime that are labeled as romance that don't show such beautiful, genuine affection. You can tell why he wasn't satisfied with anyone else's hug. Though, the other hugs were fantastic in their own way.

I am also really enjoying how Victor will hug and touch Yuri or say something (like "it's almost like a marriage proposal") and Yuri doesn't fall into cliche stuttering negations or run away from it (which we know he can and will do based on the second episode when he pinwheeled back into the opposite wall after Victor got super close.) He doesn't get all self-conscious about what they say and do with each other, it's just them. Because we all know the show could easily have made Yuri all "#nohomo" about it, and he would be a lesser character for it, in my opinion.

And the way the animation focuses on the little details of body movement - Victor's fingers stroking the back of Yuri's hand and then Yuri clutching the hand, the feet moving apart and back together, when they grip each other's shoulders, their eyes and expressions when their faces are close. All these little details that make all their moments feel even more intimate. And the animators do that with the skating too, which is why it's so amazing, but I enjoy that they do it in those other ways that aren't just about the action.

Lastly, I am enjoying how this show is portraying this community of ice skating. I'm not an ice skater (only time I ever skated on ice I broke my leg), so I can't chime in about authenticity, but I am aware of how destructive competitiveness can be. I like that pretty much all the characters respect each others' abilities and don't seek to sabotage anyone. They watch each other in a way that (to me) doesn't come off resentful, but impressed. Like they are always learning from each other in some way. At least, that's how it has come across to me.
347 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 12/1/16 , edited 12/1/16
I don't like the DUB. The translations are more gay but I will always prefer the Japanese voices.



emrylrayne wrote:

Lastly, I am enjoying how this show is portraying this community of ice skating. I'm not an ice skater (only time I ever skated on ice I broke my leg), so I can't chime in about authenticity, but I am aware of how destructive competitiveness can be. I like that pretty much all the characters respect each others' abilities and don't seek to sabotage anyone. They watch each other in a way that (to me) doesn't come off resentful, but impressed. Like they are always learning from each other in some way. At least, that's how it has come across to me.


This is what I like. There are no ill feelings towards anyone, even with JJ, it's all friendly competition.

No envy, no destructive jealousy. Even Yuri is competing against his friend Phichit.




2164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / US
Offline
Posted 12/1/16

srlan23 wrote:

Finally, I found it
They're in Barcelona (or at least Pichit is)


Nice pic of Phichit. They all should be in Barcelona. That's where the grand prix final is taking place in the show.

In the real world, the grand prix final took place in Barcelona last year. It's in Marseille this year. I missed this earlier but when the triplets were showing the card for the final in ep 4, those are actually chibis of the real world skaters from last years final. Yuzuru Hanyu is the 4th from the left.




camrywagon wrote:

Also, a little slow-- I've only just realized that (I think) when Yurio calls Yuri "katsudon" it's a play on his name. Duh.


It's fun with names:

勝つ - katsu - verb for to win
勝(生) - katsu(ki) - the katsu character in Yuri's name is the same as the verb above meaning victory or win
カツ(丼) - katsu(don) - it's tradition for Japanese to eat katsudon before a test, etc. for luck because it's a homophone of the character for win

Putting together the characters for Katsuki, it's something like genuine victory. And of course, Victor means winner.

Yuri is made up of the characters for courage and advantage or benefit.

Bonus: Phichit also means to win

Seriously, the amount of detail in this show...
6052 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/1/16

gabuhaha wrote:


camrywagon wrote:

Also, a little slow-- I've only just realized that (I think) when Yurio calls Yuri "katsudon" it's a play on his name. Duh.


It's fun with names:

勝つ - katsu - verb for to win
勝(生) - katsu(ki) - the katsu character in Yuri's name is the same as the verb above meaning victory or win
カツ(丼) - katsu(don) - it's tradition for Japanese to eat katsudon before a test, etc. for luck because it's a homophone of the character for win

Putting together the characters for Katsuki, it's something like genuine victory. And of course, Victor means winner.

Yuri is made up of the characters for courage and advantage or benefit.

Bonus: Phichit also means to win

Seriously, the amount of detail in this show...


Thanks, gabuhaha! That reminds me of Yuri's comment to the viewers as he introduces himself in Episode 1, something along the lines of, "My name makes me sound strong, but...." and then he ends up crying a river in the mens room. Oh, dear, and thinking about that scene makes me want to hug everyone....

This. Show.
410 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 12/1/16 , edited 12/4/16
While I don't dislike the show, I don't really find it that great. Everything the show offers seems to be within expectations. I think the main reason I don't like it that much is because of how much it banks on the two leads of Yuri and Victor. Yuri is the typical fledgling sportsman that has to rise back up to greatness, which works for this sort of plot and I think he's a decent lead. The problem lies with Victor, and while a lot of people like him, I can't find myself to find him interesting in the slightest. The Russian Yuri mentions Victor's new problem of trying to surprise his audience, one that has been surprised a hundred times. Yakov, Victor's former coach, mentions that Victor has zero experience in actually coaching another skater. These things are mentioned, but they're almost immediately dropped afterwards. Victor has a lot of setup that CAN go somewhere, but it has yet to go anywhere. He doesn't really receive any meaningful development, or any development that would make him an actual character rather than a stand-in for Yuri's admiration and later affection.

Which leads into the romantic angle. I'm in the minority here, but I do not find the relationship between Victor and Yuri believable. It doesn't really have a lot of depth, and it goes the typical anime route of going from admiration to affection with little lag time in between. I honestly believe the relationship between Kirito and Asuna from SAO more. It might also have to do with how I don't think Victor is that dynamic of a character, but him and Yuri hooking up don't make sense from a development standpoint, at least not one that should be touted as elaborate and grand. There's too big of a jump there to consider it anything more than the standard love routes in anime.
Even the other character's don't go through a whole lot of dynamic development. The Russian Yuri is actually probably the most interesting character in the roster, but everyone else seems like fodder and more stress for the animation team.

Speaking of the animation team, it doesn't help that the quality has noticeably declined. I'm not sure if this has to do with budgeting per episode, but the constant re-using of frames and the wobbly-looking figures become more and more of a problem as time goes on. I can't be immersed that much when the skater has essentially a smiley face and flipper hands, which is a shame because the series started out looking absolutely gorgeous.

So I know I'm in the extreme minority here, but I can't really find Yuri on Ice that good. I'm still keeping up with it, so I guess that counts for something, but I don't find it that interesting outside of the concept of figure skating.
347 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 12/1/16 , edited 12/1/16
@Theupbringer

I kind of agree with you about Victor because we don't really know nothing about him, we only know him through the eyes of the world. He is loved and highly admired by everyone. But through Yuri's eyes we can know more about him like when he didn't know how to comfort a crying Yuri, and Yuri admitted that he put him on a pedestal but with the time, Yuri starts to realize that Victor is not perfect and starts to see him as an equal.

Also, Victor has been the only person to listen to Yuri without intruding in his heart like he said that time. Victor is being used here to show Yuri that he is strong. Without Victor Yuri was a mess of depression and pessimism. With Victor in his life he is willing to open his heart, he is positive, confident and strong.

This is why I disagree that the romance is not believable. They have been together for 8+months and while the anime can't show us how close they have become (since they spend every single second together) because the anime is only 12 episodes and it is not about their relationship but about the sport, we can still see through Yuri's behavior how comfortable he feels now with Victor. In the beginning he would avoid Victor, he'd feel weird when Victor touched him etc but now Yuri is ok with it and he even throws himself at Victor. You can see how close they have become, and through this development some feelings can change. They have a great dynamic, nothing is forced.

In some romantic animes you don't even see that development in the relationship. Most of the time the couple just look at each other and boom! they're in love. It's not the same thing here. Victor and Yuri's relationship has been slow and you can feel the small little changes between them with every episode.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course.
46 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/1/16

gabuhaha wrote:


camrywagon wrote:

Also, a little slow-- I've only just realized that (I think) when Yurio calls Yuri "katsudon" it's a play on his name. Duh.


It's fun with names:

勝つ - katsu - verb for to win
勝(生) - katsu(ki) - the katsu character in Yuri's name is the same as the verb above meaning victory or win
カツ(丼) - katsu(don) - it's tradition for Japanese to eat katsudon before a test, etc. for luck because it's a homophone of the character for win

Putting together the characters for Katsuki, it's something like genuine victory. And of course, Victor means winner.

Yuri is made up of the characters for courage and advantage or benefit.

Bonus: Phichit also means to win

Seriously, the amount of detail in this show...


I believe all the skaters have some form of "winning" meaning in their names (or at least, implying greatness). Some other examples:

Victor Nikiforov - His first name is Victor, which is pretty obvious... And Nikiforov is from the greek word for "victory" (like Nike, the greek goddess of victory)

Jean Jacques Leroy - "Le roy" is french for "the king" (which might explain his obsession with being "the king", heh)

I wish I could remember some of the others... (Though I do remember Seung Gil Lee's name also means "victor" or "victory" as well.)

876 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/1/16 , edited 12/1/16
Nobody complained to Shakespeare when he wrote the story of Romeo and Juliet, the couple who fell in love the first second they met and died 3 days later because of that love. but the relationship in this anime is not believable. Yeah, sure.
2164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / US
Offline
Posted 12/1/16

aviatrix8 wrote:

I believe all the skaters have some form of "winning" meaning in their names (or at least, implying greatness). Some other examples:

Victor Nikiforov - His first name is Victor, which is pretty obvious... And Nikiforov is from the greek word for "victory" (like Nike, the greek goddess of victory)

Jean Jacques Leroy - "Le roy" is french for "the king" (which might explain his obsession with being "the king", heh)

I wish I could remember some of the others... (Though I do remember Seung Gil Lee's name also means "victor" or "victory" as well.)



Thanks! I figured there was probably more but was too tired to look into it. I think Jean-jacques means something along the lines of "to supplant" as well.
1392 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/2/16

nerdtox wrote:

@Theupbringer

I kind of agree with you about Victor because we don't really know nothing about him, we only know him through the eyes of the world. He is loved and highly admired by everyone. But through Yuri's eyes we can know more about him like when he didn't know how to comfort a crying Yuri, and Yuri admitted that he put him on a pedestal but with the time, Yuri starts to realize that Victor is not perfect and starts to see him as an equal.

Also, Victor has been the only person to listen to Yuri without intruding in his heart like he said that time. Victor is being used here to show Yuri that he is strong. Without Victor Yuri was a mess of depression and pessimism. With Victor in his life he is willing to open his heart, he is positive, confident and strong.

This is why I disagree that the romance is not believable. They have been together for 8+months and while the anime can't show us how close they have become (since they spend every single second together) because the anime is only 12 episodes and it is not about their relationship but about the sport, we can still see through Yuri's behavior how comfortable he feels now with Victor. In the beginning he would avoid Victor, he'd feel weird when Victor touched him etc but now Yuri is ok with it and he even throws himself at Victor. You can see how close they have become, and through this development some feelings can change. They have a great dynamic, nothing is forced.

In some romantic animes you don't even see that development in the relationship. Most of the time the couple just look at each other and boom! they're in love. It's not the same thing here. Victor and Yuri's relationship has been slow and you can feel the small little changes between them with every episode.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course.


I think what sets this out from other shows, even in America is how "normal" Yuuri is on the outside. There are probably people still holding out on this argument, but let's all just face the fact, he most definitely has a gay side that he is embracing. He isn't a super femmy gay like is seen in comedy shows. He's a normal character with feelings for a man.
347 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 12/2/16 , edited 12/2/16

ranran-001 wrote:


I think what sets this out from other shows, even in America is how "normal" Yuuri is on the outside. There are probably people still holding out on this argument, but let's all just face the fact, he most definitely has a gay side that he is embracing. He isn't a super femmy gay like is seen in comedy shows. He's a normal character with feelings for a man.


I didn't realize this but you are right!! Yuri is a normal man (not like the stereotypical flamboyant gay guys) and like you said, he is embracing his feelings for a man instead of freaking out or second guessing himself or living in denial. I love this. it is a beautiful portrayal of gay people!

Also, who wouldn't fall in love with someone who makes you feel happy? Yuri is definitely the happiest when he is with Victor (and vice versa, I believe Victor was not completely happy before meeting Yuri, with Yuri in his life he is happy), just look like he was in episode 8, he almost didn't make it and only when he thought of Victor he pushed himself forward. Victor was also a mess without Yuri! he looked tired in the airport and his eyes were yearning for Yuri. Through his relationship with Victor he has come to love himself too.

Awwww I swear, this is the most beautiful relationship I have ever seen <3

I wasn't a big fan of anime before, I never bothered buying anything anime related. The anime I watched was for fun but I dropped most of it because I found myself uninterested most of the time. This is the first time I go crazy over an anime and it is not because of the gay couple since I don't watch yaoi (wasn't interested) it's just that Victor and Yuri feel so normal and relatable and all I can see and feel when I see them together is love.



6052 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/2/16

camrywagon wrote:
I wasn't able to figure out the boot maker for Guang-Hong Ji's boots as the logo is too small for me to read and generally unfamiliar (I'm in North America and haven't seen it around-- possibly a brand not readily available in this region? Or custom made?) It's killing me!


Thanks to a very helpful hint from aviatrix8 I have a guess for Guang-hong Ji's boot maker.


Also the Risport brand like Minami's boots, just a different badge for other countries, maybe it's older or... just different. Had to go to Italian site for the image:



Mystery solved and I can sleep at night now.

On a side note, I thought the design for his free program costume was very, very nice. Seemed to make him look a bit older, and since this season is his senior level debut, probably intentional! Which is another example of the level of detail this show is going to-- someone really thought about what his character might come to competition wearing!
447 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F
Offline
Posted 12/2/16 , edited 12/2/16
I love how detailed this anime is, thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge about the boots, blades and clothes!

On a similar note, I just found out the lyrics to Victor's free skate theme and I was mind blown what's even better is that I just also found out that the song was created just for this anime and and the singer is Japanese!!

This information blows me away because all this time I thought that it was just a random opera song sang by an Italian soprano.

Those words, oh those lyrics!! what the symbolism in that song was telling us all along! I'm sad it's going to end soon but at the same time I'm super excited because I'm completely sure that Victor will skate to this song in the end and he will dedicate it to Yuri (hopefully they both skate together). It's all in the song!!

No wonder Victor was so sad in the first episode when he skated to this song.

https://youtu.be/2FE8W3maJUs

My favorite parts are at 2:07 (Do not go, I'm afraid of losing you) and 3:07 (we leave together, now I'm ready)

Since it's the first time I'm finding out the meaning of the those lyrics, that means the song wasn't translated in the subs? or maybe I need to pay more attention.

Edit: another information I found out is that this song is about two men. The singer is singing it to another man. *MIND FUCKED* (this anime is gold!)

(source: the comments in that video)
First  Prev  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.