First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Origins of Language translations?
10588 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / ninja mode
Offline
Posted 2/12/08 , edited 2/12/08
at what time period did we begin to understand each other: how did we understand each others languages when we had nothing to go on? how would two completely different men understand each other...when one of the men was Spanish, and the other English? does anyone have any idea how humans began to understand each others languages: or simply put maybe it was genes...in either case its hard tell. opinions,ideas,theories,and random stuff you make up...fire away,and have fun!
Posted 2/12/08
It's like being a baby in my opinion. OYu do things slowly adn show eachother. Like you knwo how you'd hold a ball out to a baby and say "ball" maybe that's what tehy did. And they prolly used facial expressions.
22358 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Nightscape
Offline
Posted 2/12/08
Hand gestures and teaching the names of objects
9584 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / In Memphis, with...
Offline
Posted 2/12/08
I am not quite sure, but it might be ancient than times where people could keep accurate record. Here this should prove helpful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translation
10588 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / ninja mode
Offline
Posted 2/12/08
has anyone ever heard of the Rosetta Stone? someone please explain to me exactly what the Rosetta Stone was used you?
6525 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 2/12/08

keelo wrote:

has anyone ever heard of the Rosetta Stone? someone please explain to me exactly what the Rosetta Stone was used you?


Well, I am not totally informed about the Rosetta Stone. What I do know is that supposedly, when Mother Mary and Joseph fled to Egypt, it was during this time when Mary was nursing Jesus. Supposedly, some of her breast milk spilled onto the sand, and "sunk" all the way through the sand where it touched this stone and it became pure white. I know it doesn't help much, but that's what I know.

And from a historical perspective, languages were understood through war and trade. In both, customs were introduced to different cultures. For example, Alexander the Great conquered so many lands, that he just kind of blended it all together (hence the Hellenistic civilization). Well, this explanation is proof enough I am a nerd.
Posted 2/12/08
Humans.

I've got no idea...but,
maybe we should ask our brains? It's a wonder.
welook 
17499 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / havent u noticed...
Offline
Posted 2/12/08
umm lets see. i pointed to a rock and said rock, and some other guy pointed at rock and said "fdafadsfsdf" and it took off from there
10588 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / ninja mode
Offline
Posted 2/12/08

nerdyboy08 wrote:


keelo wrote:

has anyone ever heard of the Rosetta Stone? someone please explain to me exactly what the Rosetta Stone was used you?


Well, I am not totally informed about the Rosetta Stone. What I do know is that supposedly, when Mother Mary and Joseph fled to Egypt, it was during this time when Mary was nursing Jesus. Supposedly, some of her breast milk spilled onto the sand, and "sunk" all the way through the sand where it touched this stone and it became pure white. I know it doesn't help much, but that's what I know.

And from a historical perspective, languages were understood through war and trade. In both, customs were introduced to different cultures. For example, Alexander the Great conquered so many lands, that he just kind of blended it all together (hence the Hellenistic civilization). Well, this explanation is proof enough I am a nerd.


empires have a major effect on history,and languages...children being born from parents who speak different languages:does the child have a chance of learning both languages?
Posted 2/12/08
So called scientists say we only use "5" percent of our brains and 95 percent goes to waist. Our minds must be super pwerful. You juist don't know it I think those are the numbers I'm not sure. though or was it 25 percent that we use. XD
10588 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / ninja mode
Offline
Posted 2/12/08

KueChang wrote:

So called scientists say we only use "5" percent of our brains and 95 percent goes to waist. Our minds must be super pwerful. You juist don't know it I think those are the numbers I'm not sure. though or was it 25 percent that we use. XD


I remember hearing that our brain uses only 10%...the other 90% is used for our body to function properly.
98 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / australia
Offline
Posted 2/12/08
body language
6525 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 2/12/08

keelo wrote:


nerdyboy08 wrote:


keelo wrote:

has anyone ever heard of the Rosetta Stone? someone please explain to me exactly what the Rosetta Stone was used you?


Well, I am not totally informed about the Rosetta Stone. What I do know is that supposedly, when Mother Mary and Joseph fled to Egypt, it was during this time when Mary was nursing Jesus. Supposedly, some of her breast milk spilled onto the sand, and "sunk" all the way through the sand where it touched this stone and it became pure white. I know it doesn't help much, but that's what I know.

And from a historical perspective, languages were understood through war and trade. In both, customs were introduced to different cultures. For example, Alexander the Great conquered so many lands, that he just kind of blended it all together (hence the Hellenistic civilization). Well, this explanation is proof enough I am a nerd.


empires have a major effect on history,and languages...children being born from parents who speak different languages:does the child have a chance of learning both languages?


Absolutely. However, it is likely the child will only use the language that is most used where he or she lives.
19013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
www.crunchyroll.com
Offline
Posted 3/20/09
Its probably because one guy kept saying the same thing to a particular thing. Then the other cavemen said "why the fuck do this guy keep calling that thing as shit?" then they got used to it and called it the same thing.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.