First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Drawing anime doesn't make you good i think
3057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The 2D World
Online
Posted 10/9/16 , edited 10/9/16

Deyre wrote:

People dont appreciate creativity. Its why obsession, idol worship of anime exists. Its frankly killing creative mind


11721 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Online
Posted 10/9/16 , edited 10/10/16
wat?ok keep drawing animu guis




[the image were beautiful, but there were way too many, and thus they were removed by mod --lorreen]
192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/9/16


Wow that's one long picture.
11721 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Online
Posted 10/9/16

xShinku wrote:



Wow that's one long picture.


ye was bored

long wait for dat long exeggutor
145751 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Overlord's Castle
Offline
Posted 10/9/16 , edited 10/9/16
I don't understand rant. Am I missing something here?
9054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Everywhere
Offline
Posted 10/9/16 , edited 10/9/16
I once had a really great illustration professor tell me something. "Sometimes people say drawing stylistically is a waste of time or not as difficult as drawing realistically, but that isn't true. When drawing in a style, there is so much more that could go wrong because there is not much to reference. it is often much harder and a greater measure of ones talent to see if they can draw in a simplistic or stylized form and still portray beauty and emotion." I find this to be true all of the time, as someone who draws very stylized. while it is important to find your own style, it is also important to find beauty in those of others, like many anime artists. Not to mention, All of the artists do have different styles, so saying "drawing anime" is super generalized and doesn't really mean anything. Its like saying "painting impressionistic" without naming one of the many artists who's styles vary greatly.
14763 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/9/16 , edited 10/9/16

Werina wrote:

this thread makes no sense


Told ya. Non-American posters are weird...
Sogno- 
45722 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/9/16
exactly
37377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/9/16 , edited 10/9/16
I was gonna comment on this thread. However, I decided not to.
11813 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Auburn, Washington
Offline
Posted 10/9/16 , edited 10/9/16

Deyre wrote:

Find a pencil and draw realistic people is my suggestions.


And when you are paying me, you can tell me what to do.

Otherwise, you are quite literally not the boss of me and I don't give a shit about your suggestions.

189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Running away
Offline
Posted 10/9/16 , edited 10/9/16
I mean, while a lot of what was said was put in a weird way, OP is not wrong?

All the talented Artists that use Anime style got to their level of polish and skill by actually practicing Still Life drawing (aka realistic stuff), until they got to a point where they could take intricate shapes and stylise them into a simpler, often flatter style.
You need a certain level of technical polish for that, no lie.

While you can fake anime style, because it's a seemingly simple approximation, it's going to always look off, or uncanny, and even glaringly so if you are, for example, animating or drawing different angles, challenging poses, etc.. I mean, how often haven't you noticed weird looking faces/bodies in manga art? I would strongly encourage anyone who wants to get an anime style to first get a firm grasp of anatomy and still life


Using some examples from this to illustrate my point. My comments are bolded.


RedExodus wrote:

wat?ok keep drawing animu guis

First image, you can't quite tell if it's the left or right arm that's raised, the arm also looks too smashed together and raised to be connected to her body, the neck is also too long. And while i don't rly mind the stylistic thinness of the arm i will point it out nonetheless. These types of undynamic poses (hiding problem areas like neck,elbows,ears,etc) are also typical when one has limited Still Life knowledge


You can tell from the shading and the colouring that this Artist has an intricate knowledge of color theory, edges and realism. Stylised, yet enough shading to imply shape & depth without jeopardising the bold and simple look to Anime that's quite striking.

Last one is also very pretty, but you can see the lack of knowledge of anatomy. The head of the blue girl looks copy pasted into the body (wrong angle, and no shading around the shoulder blades), the breast grows out from the back, the stomach ends way up before it should, making the hips look contorted/broken. Also different angles on each segment of the body. The white girl fares no better, has the same problems along with the arms being different lengths. A talented environment artists doe


And before anyone tries to come for me, here's my own work, so you can see i know what i'm talking about. I started drawing with anime roots myself.
Banned
1527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 10/9/16 , edited 10/9/16
I enjoy CGI animated movies, i think people who does them have been getting better over the years.

Disney did some good traditional animated movies too in the past. I just assume they moved over to a different formula when they realised its more or less a dead art style. Or with computers and everything so they put their talents to better use rather than to stagnate. And i completely agree on music when it comes to letting computers do your work for you, lots of bands do sound the same, computers, remixes you name it.
6593 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Palm Coast, Florida
Offline
Posted 10/9/16 , edited 10/9/16
Quality thread
35114 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / F / Seireitei, Soul S...
Online
Posted 10/10/16

Deyre wrote:

I enjoy CGI animated movies, i think people who does them have been getting better over the years.

Disney did some good traditional animated movies too in the past. I just assume they moved over to a different formula when they realised its more or less a dead art style. Or with computers and everything so they put their talents to better use rather than to stagnate. And i completely agree on music when it comes to letting computers do your work for you, lots of bands do sound the same, computers, remixes you name it.


I have no idea what you're trying to say about this whole thing, but there are plenty of different art styles out there and everyone does not stick to just one art style as you say they should. Sure, there's a lot of fan art out there for anime, but the styles are as varied as you can get. And I have no idea where you get off calling all anime perverted just because the characters usually have big eyes. There's plenty of slight differences between eye styles in animes, and plenty of different anime genres out there from kids shows to ones for adults. I wouldn't say that Sakura from Cardcaptor is perverted because she has big eyes, just like I wouldn't say that Rukia from Bleach is perverted because of the same reason, and those shows have very different target audiences in age and gender.

For example, here are some different fan arts of Saber from Fate/Stay Night

They vary from realistic to anime style, yet they're all of the same character. So yes, there is a difference in style when people are using anime as an inspiration for drawing.

Now as for the CGI and Disney and other movie studios, especially for kids, while I agree that it has improved greatly over the years in the technology, I don't feel that it's an improvement in animation style. I honestly found more variety in style and more enjoyment in watching the old hand drawn Disney movies than I do in the newer completely CGI ones. They honestly feel more stale and copycat to me than hand drawn stuff does. It's one of the reasons why I like watching anime and animation is to see the different styles. And computer animation can make artist's talent stagnant because you're using a program with a lot of stuff already pre-made into it, like most of the basic stuff for drawing. So therefore, you're kind of limited in what you can do and it's not as free flowing a style as hand drawn stuff is.

Anyways, in the end, art is subjective and I agree with what some of the other people are saying in this thread is that people should do what they want for their own thing when drawing and animating.
35114 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / F / Seireitei, Soul S...
Online
Posted 10/10/16


First image, you can't quite tell if it's the left or right arm that's raised, the arm also looks too smashed together and raised to be connected to her body, the neck is also too long. And while i don't rly mind the stylistic thinness of the arm i will point it out nonetheless. These types of undynamic poses (hiding problem areas like neck,elbows,ears,etc) are also typical when one has limited Still Life knowledge


I'm going to have to disagree with some of your observations on this one. You can tell which arm is raised by the position of her fingers and wrist, and even of her arm, though it is kind of hidden by the sleeve. I could easily tell it was the left arm because of those things. And the neck doesn't seem too long, it's just the scarf that's making it look that way because it's covering from slightly below her neck all the way up to the bottom of her mouth, so therefore not just her neck is under it and you have to take that into account with your perception. If you look at where her shoulder is in respect to the scarf and face, it looks like a normal length neck to me. You also have to remember that out in the real world there are people with different length necks, so some people do have long necks. And lastly, the character in the picture doesn't look like an adult to me, she looks like a preteen or teenager, so therefore her arm could really be that thin. I also get the idea that she's an active person, which might keep her arm thin. I have met plenty of people in real life that have arms that thin, including adults. So again, I think that it might be your perception of this picture, but I see it as very realistic.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.