First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me
Posted 10/10/16

Lemontitties wrote:


Velvet_Crowe wrote:


Never said I'm a citizen of the US now did I?


Do you live in America?


I live in Terca Lumireis
18722 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Online
Posted 10/10/16

Velvet_Crowe wrote:

I only heard that saying when I moved to America


http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/sticks-and-stones-may-break-my-bones.html huh, weird
28685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 10/10/16 , edited 10/10/16

Velvet_Crowe wrote:


I live in Terca Lumireis


-_______________________________________________________________________________________________-

At least you're a fan of Tales of Vesperia.
18722 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Online
Posted 10/10/16

Lemontitties wrote:


Velvet_Crowe wrote:


I live in Terca Lumireis


-_______________________________________________________________________________________________-

At least you're a fan of Tales of Vesperia.


5039 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Abyss
Offline
Posted 10/10/16 , edited 10/10/16
Somehow people don't remember there is a such thing as psychological warfare. You know... Using words to break peoples minds. Yea. It exists.

Only idiots use that phrase.

Edit: To add life experiences. I was horribly bullied by both males and females. The males were into physical bullying (great for me, I won my fights. Thanks Judo/Tae Kwon Do!).

The women on the other hand were more brutal. They didn't attack me, so I couldn't defend myself that way. The used words, rumors, slandering. The works. You can't physically defend yourself from that. What ended up happening in the end, after I was forced to live alone for 8 years of school (a new one opened the year I graduated, zzz)... Is that I became emotionally jaded. I don't feel anger, happiness, etc often now.

Sure they didn't leave physical wounds. They left deep psychological wounds that changed my persona. Changed who I was.

So let me fix that quote for you. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can leave a psychological scar that may never heal.
29840 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 10/10/16

runec wrote:


redokami wrote:
is it me or did the past 2-3 generations forget this being taught to us?
I cant help but to think about the forum I made about that letter


The saying is actually about not punching someone in the face for calling you names.

So thus far America is collectively succeeding. Though there's still one debate left.





^
28685 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 10/10/16

redokami wrote:

is it me or did the past 2-3 generations forget this being taught to us?
I cant help but to think about the forum I made about that letter


Getting back on topic , I never really took this phrase too seriously. Verbal bullying can really take a toll on just about anyone who is a victim. Especially if there's a group.


and about trumps new video "scandal"


I haven't seen this video, but I did watch the debate last night and apparently there was this video of him 11 years ago? At least that's what I think I heard. I don't know the full details, but if this was said that long ago, who in the hell cares?



when did people become such pansies and worry about what another says, more than what they actually do?


Have you seen the internet lately? People get emotional over the tiniest things these days, it's truly astonishing. Not saying what Donald said in that video was tiny, but in general, we as a society get rustled way too easily over what someone says, even if it's not that big of a deal.
14767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/10/16 , edited 10/10/16

redokami wrote:

is it me or did the past 2-3 generations forget this being taught to us?
I cant help but to think about the forum I made about that letter

and about trumps new video "scandal"

when did people become such pansies and worry about what another says, more than what they actually do?


So, if he DID grope her by the love-oven, then we could be allowed to complain?

(Even so, it's not always what you say--or the age at which you say it--but HOW you say it.
And if you say it like Frank Sinatra on a Rat Pack weekend at the Flamingo...it does bring up suspicions about one's construction background.
Trump may not sing like a tenor, but he sure sounds like a Soprano.)
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/10/16

MidoriNoTora wrote:

The phrase is rather flawed. Many mental health problems are caused or exacerbated by words and the way people use them.

Many of these health problems account for the vast minority of the population.
5290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M / California
Offline
Posted 10/10/16
Yeah, words are only hurtful if you take them that way. I don't practice what I preach though
10626 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 10/10/16
It's a good thing this thread is here, or we would never know exactly how people are hurting themselves with other people's words and blaming others for it.
9322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / The Void
Offline
Posted 10/10/16
I hate everyone anyway, so I just disregard what most people say.
37407 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/10/16
I thought Benjamin Franklin coined the phrase. And yeah, it seems high and lofty, but in the end, I think what one should take away from that phrase is that "I will not show if you've had an impact against me."

If you are accosted by sticks and stones, then the bruises and broken bones are evident. However, psychological scars can be concealed, thus denying your enemy the satisfaction of having wounded you.
19059 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 10/10/16 , edited 10/10/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


MidoriNoTora wrote:

The phrase is rather flawed. Many mental health problems are caused or exacerbated by words and the way people use them.

Many of these health problems account for the vast minority of the population.
I'm a psychology student in college right now. I'm just commenting because I remember my professor saying something around 30% of people in the U.S. will meet the criteria for having a disorder at some point in their lives. Other than that, here are some national mental health statistics I drudged up real quick to make sure she was right and to provide some evidence. http://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-By-the-Numbers

Even so, words can offend anyone.

33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/10/16 , edited 10/10/16

mysticmightg wrote:


XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

Many of these health problems account for the vast minority of the population.
I'm a psychology student in college right now. I'm just commenting because I remember my professor saying something around 30% of people in the U.S. will meet the criteria for having a disorder at some point in their lives. Other than that, here are some national mental health statistics I drudged up real quick to make sure she was right and to provide some evidence. http://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-By-the-Numbers

Sure. For example, Anxiety runs in my family, and 1/5 Americans will develop it in their lifetime.

I remember being told that the number of overall mental illness was closer to 1/4, but your link shows 1/3. Regardless, not a big difference, and, of these, a very miniscule percentage of these are people who suffer from serious mental illness such as schizophrenia, depression, etc.

Last, this leaves 7/10 people who do not develop a serious mental illness in their lifetime, and these are the people who go off the wall because their pizza arrived at their door 10 minutes late, or because someone told them they think the race issue in America is much more exacerbated than it actually is: these are the people I was reffering to.


Even so, words can offend anyone, but it doesn't mean they should.

FTFY
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.