First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Wonder Woman named UN Ambassador
Posted 10/14/16 , edited 10/14/16

qwueri wrote:


Hrafna wrote:

This forum is AIDS.


I know, that's what I get for trying to make a fun thread :(


I didn't read. I stopped reading a presidential election ago.



Vote Trump 2016.
qwueri 
16478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 10/14/16

Amyas_Leigh wrote:


qwueri wrote:

Soooo western comics are going down the drain because of female readership?
.

More the pandering for female readership who then abandon the publisher because comics aren't 'in' anymore.


http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/tilting-at-windmills-trouble-on-the-horizon



Think you could help me out with how you reached that conclusion from reading the article you linked? The best I could find was:


DC came back in June with “DC You,” an initiative that launched 21 new series, meant to spotlight character and creator diversity and refresh the line, and to embrace a new, younger audience that many retailers can tell you is actually out there.

But “DC You” isn’t connecting with this new readership. Kind of at all: On the October sales charts, which represents the fifth issues of the initiative, only two of the 21 titles have sales over 30,000 copies (very roughly the sales level where companies with big overhead start cancelling books for lack of sales), and a staggering ten titles are selling under twenty thousand copies, which marks nearly half the initiative as an abject failure.



Anecdotally, I can state that at my stores from mid-September essentially every “Secret Wars”-related comic, including the main book, took a sharp drop of about 20%, which turned those comics from profitable to “not.” We’re trying to steer the orders back toward profitability as fast as we can, but clearly there are always going to be casualties. And the truly painful thing is that, much like “DC You,” “All-New All-Different” is stumbling out of the gate, and what should have been a grand repositioning that would draw flocks of new and excited readers to a revitalized Marvel line, like “New 52” did for DC, ANAD has arrived with just a quiet sigh of indifference from the majority of the readership.



How about the new and young readership? Marvel actually was starting to attract some of them at our stores — books like “Squirrel Girl,” “Ms. Marvel” and the Jane Foster “Thor” title were racking solid sales for us outside of the “traditional” Marvel customer. But that new/younger readership? They literally don’t understand why you would start a book over again at #1. It makes no sense to them! And that confusion appears to have shooed a number of them off. In an equivalent sales period, our sales of the first issues of all of those series are actually below (dramatically so in the case of “Thor!”) the final issues of the “old series” — which was only on issue #8 for two of the three! But readers appear to be treating the relaunches as simply “issue #9.” That’s not typical consumer behavior.


4950 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 10/14/16 , edited 10/14/16

Amyas_Leigh wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

Yeah, surprisingly I don't feel very inclined to take that little rant all that seriously.


So you ignore how they turned WW into a feminist shehulk?

And yeah, you can't call yourself 'peaceful' and use violence at the same time.


What the fuck are you even talking about? Do you know anything about Wonder Woman? Like anything at all? She was always a feminist, she was created by a feminist (and a pretty fucking radical one at that) and his wife, also a feminist, to be an empowering icon. You can try and act like her getting tied up sometimes and being drawn to be attractive somehow undermines that, but me and the other guy have already explained why that is bullshit.

And She-Hulk??? What? What resemblance does she have to She-Hulk all of a sudden? Seriously, what connection do you see between this



And this?



I mean I guess you could have meant the more mellow modern She-Hulk



But I still don't see any connection.

And how the hell can you not call yourself peaceful in that situation? What would you consider peaceful? Letting countless people die while standing around idly knowing you could prevent it?
qwueri 
16478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 10/14/16
Maybe this is how you go from Wonder Woman to She-Hulk:
https://youtu.be/d5GN90UiImo?t=225
4950 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 10/14/16 , edited 10/14/16

qwueri wrote:

How about the new and young readership? Marvel actually was starting to attract some of them at our stores — books like “Squirrel Girl,” “Ms. Marvel” and the Jane Foster “Thor” title were racking solid sales for us outside of the “traditional” Marvel customer. But that new/younger readership? They literally don’t understand why you would start a book over again at #1. It makes no sense to them! And that confusion appears to have shooed a number of them off. In an equivalent sales period, our sales of the first issues of all of those series are actually below (dramatically so in the case of “Thor!”) the final issues of the “old series” — which was only on issue #8 for two of the three! But readers appear to be treating the relaunches as simply “issue #9.” That’s not typical consumer behavior.


I'm not a new comic reader at all and I don't understand why you would start a book over again at #1. Especially not when it happens right as soon as another series ends. It's a pain in the ass too, seeing as I kept having to change my pull list for it

4950 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 10/14/16

qwueri wrote:

Maybe this is how you go from Wonder Woman to She-Hulk:
https://youtu.be/d5GN90UiImo?t=225


Thanks. I was wondering why I stopped watching snl
36022 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Georgia, USA
Offline
Posted 10/14/16
4950 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 10/14/16


I like how you just cut out the part where I mention having the power to stop a war by fighting on your own.


octorockandroll wrote:
Letting countless people die while standing around idly knowing you could prevent it?



Yeah, you're ignoring an obvious difference here. Desmond Doss could not have stopped an entire war and prevented countless casualties on his own had he fought the enemy. Wonder Woman could.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.