First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Shelter the Animation
15748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Virginia USA
Online
Posted 10/21/16 , edited 10/21/16
I finally actually watched it and damn. I thought it was amazing.

The build up, the music, all of it. Amazing what someone can do in 6 minutes. One of the best things I have watched this season.
38419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/21/16
I've watched this video probably too many times. Being me I've tried to figure out the final intent of the story. I've come to a theory on what's happening. First off I don't believe this is occurring on Earth. I base that on the final scene where we see what looks very much like the course the pod has been taking. If each circle represents a planetary orbit there are too many based on the departure point for it be Earth. It could be a terraformed and colonized Mars but given the pod appears to be using the third planet as a gravitational boost that would be really sad because it would mean Earth had become uninhabitable. So my theory is this is set at some point in the future where humanity has colonized other planets. Either another planetary body in the system had it's orbit disrupted or a rogue planetary body entered the system setting up the collision. Rin's father has launched her toward either another nearby colony or potentially a ship for eventual rescue.

I'd rather believe she will eventually be rescued than left to drift for the remainder of her life. Cause otherwise I'd be too sad.

(I'd love to know Peter's thoughts since this is his creation after all.)
19665 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Somewhere beyond...
Offline
Posted 10/21/16
Amazing music video! I've watched it at least 6 times by now. It's so beautiful! T-T

Only thing I'm still confused on is that the description says she is currently 17--and based on the number of days with no messages--she has roughly been in space for 7 years--meaning that she left Earth when she was 10. However, during the video there is also the image of the plans for the ship (around 3:57) and on it, the plans say the ship is being built for a 7-year-old--meaning that she was 7 when she left Earth, and adding in days with no messages, would be currently 14. So is she currently 14 or 17?
342 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Azeroth
Offline
Posted 10/22/16 , edited 10/22/16
Uhm, maybe this is a case of...




But I don't get why this is taking the Internet by storm. First of all.. the music isn't "that great"; nor even good for that matter, just whiney style pop music. And WTF is going on in that storyline... She in a space travel induced stasis? Or, is dead and living in a VR? WTF is she doing in a small craft in the first place, yet dreaming of what appears modern day Earth?...

So many questions...I am just not getting it. Perhaps, one if you could "spell it out" for me, and my apparently disabled self......
17191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / The OC
Offline
Posted 10/22/16
6 Minute Animated Video > most of the series airing this season
582 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / U.S. - Somewhere...
Offline
Posted 10/23/16
Good stuff.
4016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/23/16
THIS FUCKED ME UP BEYOND REPAIR.
347 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Jacksonville Florida
Offline
Posted 10/23/16
Loved it! Going to See Porter for the 3rd time, 2nd time this year at EDC Orlando! I can only assume he will drop that =D
6947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 10/23/16

TheGrandAlliance wrote:

Uhm, maybe this is a case of...




But I don't get why this is taking the Internet by storm. First of all.. the music isn't "that great"; nor even good for that matter, just whiney style pop music. And WTF is going on in that storyline... She in a space travel induced stasis? Or, is dead and living in a VR? WTF is she doing in a small craft in the first place, yet dreaming of what appears modern day Earth?...

So many questions...I am just not getting it. Perhaps, one if you could "spell it out" for me, and my apparently disabled self......


Earth is destroy, father built this to save his daughter.
17031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 10/23/16
This was okay. Liked the song.
38419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/23/16

Everfire95 wrote:
Only thing I'm still confused on is that the description says she is currently 17--and based on the number of days with no messages--she has roughly been in space for 7 years--meaning that she left Earth when she was 10. However, during the video there is also the image of the plans for the ship (around 3:57) and on it, the plans say the ship is being built for a 7-year-old--meaning that she was 7 when she left Earth, and adding in days with no messages, would be currently 14. So is she currently 14 or 17?


As I see it there are a few possibilities. Firstly they goofed on her final age. Secondly they goofed on the number of days. Twice. Third, if you're willing to buy into my theory that this isn't happening on Earth then it could be a year on this other world or the length of the day (likely both) are different from Earth's. Thus she could be 17 in that world's years.
15748 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Virginia USA
Online
Posted 10/23/16
263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 10/23/16
Was not expecting that escalation of feels.
38419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/4/16 , edited 11/4/16
I've come to realize, mulling over the story, the lyrics, and the comments from others, that the ending of the video is a sort of Rorschach Test.

Do you believe Rin's father has condemned her to life in a virtual coffin, drifting in space till she dies, always alone. A pointless life and would have been better off dying with her father?

Do you believe there's hope, that her father had a plan beyond simply shooting her off into space, that she just needs to trust her father and believe in the future?

Do you believe her father wanted her to live, to grow up, even if it meant being alone, hoping that the short time they'd had together he'd packed enough love into their relationship that it would carry her forward, that she could find meaning in her life, in the gift she'd been given, even if it was a life spent alone?

Which is actually one of the great things about this short. It lets the viewer read into events, to put a bit of themselves there.
63526 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Colorado
Offline
Posted 11/4/16

domvina wrote:

I've come to realize, mulling over the story, the lyrics, and the comments from others, that the ending of the video is a sort of Rorschach Test.

Do you believe Rin's father has condemned her to life in a virtual coffin, drifting in space till she dies, always alone. A pointless life and would have been better off dying with her father?

Do you believe there's hope, that her father had a plan beyond simply shooting her off into space, that she just needs to trust her father and believe in the future?

Do you believe her father wanted her to live, to grow up, even if it meant being alone, hoping that the short time they'd had together he'd packed enough love into their relationship that it would carry her forward, that she could find meaning in her life, in the gift she'd been given, even if it was a life spent alone?

Which is actually one of the great things about this short. It lets the viewer read into events, to put a bit of themselves there.


I'm glad you love the short as much as I do lol. I've rewatched it way too many times, can't get enough!

But ya dude I agree, I like that it leaves it up to interpretation, which is why I hope it'll never get a sequel, it really doesn't need it. The ambiguity and mystery of it all adds to the experience.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.