Post Reply Should I wing it on the rough draft then do research for the final?
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/15/16
I'm working on a novel that requires a lot of research. I want to know if I should just write the story without researching for the rough drafts and when I get to the final draft do research. I really gotta start writing and I hate waiting too. So what is more suitable for me. Wait and do research or just wing it on the rough drafts. What do you think?

Enjoy!!!
5318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/15/16
No, for sure not. you should maybe have an outline but if your research reveals something that ultimately puts holes in your story do you want to have to throw out all your previous work? You come out with the outline, the real basic shape of it, and whittle away closing in on exactly what you want. But just like you can't change what a sculptures made of half way through, you can't change what a story is made of either. Outline to know what you might encounter, then heaps of research in case you do, then your rough draft.
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/15/16 , edited 10/15/16

Punk_Mela wrote:

No, for sure not. you should maybe have an outline but if your research reveals something that ultimately puts holes in your story do you want to have to throw out all your previous work? You come out with the outline, the real basic shape of it, and whittle away closing in on exactly what you want. But just like you can't change what a sculptures made of half way through, you can't change what a story is made of either. Outline to know what you might encounter, then heaps of research in case you do, then your rough draft.


So outline first then research?
5318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/15/16

qualeshia3 wrote:


Punk_Mela wrote:

No, for sure not. you should maybe have an outline but if your research reveals something that ultimately puts holes in your story do you want to have to throw out all your previous work? You come out with the outline, the real basic shape of it, and whittle away closing in on exactly what you want. But just like you can't change what a sculptures made of half way through, you can't change what a story is made of either. Outline to know what you might encounter, then heaps of research in case you do, then your rough draft.


So outline first then research?


That's how I do it, say you were trying to write an outline where on of the key plot points involved something like a train, you write a whole rough draft and then do you research on trains and how they operate and find out it's pretty common knowledge for trains to have a fail safe that would have prevented you key plot point from happening in the first place. You would have written yourself into a corner, but at the same time you would need a very basic outline of the story to know to research trains in the first place.
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/15/16

Punk_Mela wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


Punk_Mela wrote:

No, for sure not. you should maybe have an outline but if your research reveals something that ultimately puts holes in your story do you want to have to throw out all your previous work? You come out with the outline, the real basic shape of it, and whittle away closing in on exactly what you want. But just like you can't change what a sculptures made of half way through, you can't change what a story is made of either. Outline to know what you might encounter, then heaps of research in case you do, then your rough draft.


So outline first then research?


That's how I do it, say you were trying to write an outline where on of the key plot points involved something like a train, you write a whole rough draft and then do you research on trains and how they operate and find out it's pretty common knowledge for trains to have a fail safe that would have prevented you key plot point from happening in the first place. You would have written yourself into a corner, but at the same time you would need a very basic outline of the story to know to research trains in the first place.


Okay then. I'll make an outline then research.
You must be logged in to post.