First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Firebombing of RNC HQ in NC
37527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 10/16/16 , edited 10/16/16

Punk_Mela wrote:

-snip-




You are right in the things you said. I know most conservatives aren't like those three terrorists. I was just trying to say "If anyone is acting like ISIS..." by bringing up that article.


I'm trying to tell him that right wing Americans do violent things too, and a lot of them, not just a few here and there. As I said to him, people are people, and people can be good and people can be bad. I'm upset that he wants to paint most left wing Americans as violent criminals and animals.
4824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 10/16/16 , edited 10/16/16

AlastorCrow wrote:

Someone post the video of Papa Franku telling political science major wannabes the one big truth in life: no one on the internet gives a shit about your opinions. If you feel the need to waste your time debating with complete strangers online by venting off your feelings, then you have time to find something else to do that is worth the effort.

Come now, children. I know it's cool to get all political but once again, really, seriously, no one gives a fuck.


I'm not doing this because I think I'm going to change the minds of these lunatics. I do it because it's funny to see how far their bullshit will go.
567 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / New York
Online
Posted 10/16/16 , edited 10/16/16
Sounds like a dumb excuse to waste time but whatever floats your boat man.
5318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/16/16 , edited 10/16/16

sundin13 wrote:

So, I decided to look into domestic terrorism statistics. Heres a summary:

-"In the 1990s, right-wing extremism overtook left-wing terrorism as the most dangerous domestic terrorist threat to the country."
-In the decade after 9/11, right-wing extremists averaged 337 attacks per year causing a total of 254 fatalities
-In 2010, about 70% of terroristic incidents were committed by right wing extremists compared to 5% by left wing extremists and 25% by Muslim extremists
-There is an average of 17 far right homicide incidents per year (1990-2010)

Sources are mostly the FBI and National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism


OP posted a source blaming leftist ideology for a rare and insignificant (though heinous) event. Making a biased observation that supported his way of thinking. Your solution was to find articles that may indicate right ideology is to blame for MORE of these rare and insignificant events over the last decade, (though by citing this source you tacitly approve the fact that left wing ideology was to blame in the decades prior for these rare and insignificant events) and have now supported your own biased opinion.

When you read the part that said a little over a dozen people are killed by this (despite 350 million+ people or so being in the US) a year, numbers comparable to death by vending machine and way way less than the amount of people who die by getting tangled in their bed-sheets, you didn't stop and say maybe I am doing exactly what OP is doing? And you didn't say maybe in such a small pool, statistics really don't have any meaning?
5318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/16/16 , edited 10/16/16

AlastorCrow wrote:

Sounds like a dumb excuse to waste time but whatever floats your boat man.


I like filthy frank as much as anyone else, but I will be the first to say talking to people online about political issues isn't any more a waste of time then watching someone eat barf cake.
567 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / New York
Online
Posted 10/16/16 , edited 10/16/16
You won't see me passionately discussing topics about the guy though. It just seems so pitiful to watch people from either political faction debate in an anime forum. There's a time and place for everything and I assure you that engaging in a debate with some manchild with an avatar of a 12 year old anime schoolgirl is an absolute fucking waste of time and energy.
5318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/16/16 , edited 10/16/16

AlastorCrow wrote:

You won't see me passionately discussing topics about the guy though. It just seems so pitiful to watch people from either political faction debate in an anime forum. There's a time and place for everything and I assure you that engaging in a debate with some manchild with an avatar of a 12 year old anime schoolgirl is an absolute fucking waste of time and energy.


I don't think there is anyone who is "passionate" about talking about politics on this site, and again, it is similar to watching someone eat barf cake online, just a way to kill time.
3473 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / The Mothership
Offline
Posted 10/16/16 , edited 10/16/16

AlastorCrow wrote:

You won't see me passionately discussing topics about the guy though. It just seems so pitiful to watch people from either political faction debate in an anime forum. There's a time and place for everything and I assure you that engaging in a debate with some manchild with an avatar of a 12 year old anime schoolgirl is an absolute fucking waste of time and energy.


I applaud you sir!
13141 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 10/16/16 , edited 10/16/16

Punk_Mela wrote:


sundin13 wrote:

So, I decided to look into domestic terrorism statistics. Heres a summary:

-"In the 1990s, right-wing extremism overtook left-wing terrorism as the most dangerous domestic terrorist threat to the country."
-In the decade after 9/11, right-wing extremists averaged 337 attacks per year causing a total of 254 fatalities
-In 2010, about 70% of terroristic incidents were committed by right wing extremists compared to 5% by left wing extremists and 25% by Muslim extremists
-There is an average of 17 far right homicide incidents per year (1990-2010)

Sources are mostly the FBI and National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism


OP posted a source blaming leftist ideology for a rare and insignificant (though heinous) event. Making a biased observation that supported his way of thinking. Your solution was to find articles that may indicate right ideology is to blame for MORE of these rare and insignificant events over the last decade, (though by citing this source you tacitly approve the fact that left wing ideology was to blame in the decades prior for these rare and insignificant events) and have now supported your own biased opinion.

When you read the part that said a little over a dozen people are killed by this (despite 350 million+ people or so being in the US) a year, numbers comparable to death by vending machine and way way less than the amount of people who die by getting tangled in their bed-sheets, you didn't stop and say maybe I am doing exactly what OP is doing? And you didn't say maybe in such a small pool, statistics really don't have any meaning?


I just posted the numbers, you are the one who is making the conclusions.

That said, I disagree with your conclusions in a few ways. First of all, I disagree that right wing terrorism is insignificant. To quote the FBI "Right-wing groups continue to represent a serious terrorist threat." If we are to argue that any terrorism is significant (which would be difficult to deny), we have to accept the threat of right wing terrorism. That is not to say that this implicates the right wing in general, only to highlight the fact that violent extremist factions do exist in the right and this is in no way exclusive to the left (in fact, it is more common in the right than the left according to the previously posted statistics).

Second, I disagree when you say that these statistics don't have any meaning due to the "small" numbers. An average of 337 attacks per year is not a particularly small number, and clear trends can be seen in the data. It would be generally useless to talk about year on year change, however the overall trend makes a pretty clear case that right wing terrorism is a more significant threat than left wing extremism.
567 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / New York
Online
Posted 10/16/16 , edited 10/16/16
@punk fair enough but I still think there are plenty of people here burning with a misplaced sense of nationalism and try hard to make it known. But you know, "just for fun lul"
7019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Earth
Offline
Posted 10/16/16 , edited 10/16/16

AlastorCrow wrote:

Someone post the video of Papa Franku telling political science major wannabes the one big truth in life: no one on the internet gives a shit about your opinions. If you feel the need to waste your time debating with complete strangers online by venting off your feelings, then you have time to find something else to do that is worth the effort.

Come now, children. I know it's cool to get all political but once again, really, seriously, no one gives a fuck.


Stay out of political threads then, genius.
5318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/16/16 , edited 10/16/16



No one is jumping to conclusions, your facts correlate with your bias the same way OP did, and that helps no one.

Disagree all you like, while on a personal level the loss is serious, and the potential of ANY ideologies ability to cause damage is serious, on a less personal level, 17 annual deaths is not serious. Cows kill more people annually and cause more property damage.

Again, disagree all you like. A sample pool of 350 would not work in the scientific community. And seeing how easy the stats you laid out are to manipulate, they are even more laughable.

An example:
You quote 250 or so deaths due to right wing extremists in one decade, you also point out 70% of terrorism coming form the same people, and 5% from Muslim terrorists, all of this since the 9/11 attacks. Which is to say if you were to extend the time frame of these statistics by one day to 9/11 itself, less than 1/3600th of the time frame used, suddenly Muslim terrorist account for more than 10 times the casualties of the right wing extremists who you profess are the most serious threat. You now have Muslims terrorists leading in both monetary damages as well as loss of life despite making up only a little more than 5% of attacks by expanding your pool one single day in a span of 10 years. You see now why this is such a ridiculous sample pool and indicating trends are only good for backing up a biased opinion.
7019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Earth
Offline
Posted 10/16/16 , edited 10/16/16

sundin13 wrote:


That said, I disagree with your conclusions in a few ways. First of all, I disagree that right wing terrorism is insignificant. To quote the FBI "Right-wing groups continue to represent a serious terrorist threat." If we are to argue that any terrorism is significant (which would be difficult to deny), we have to accept the threat of right wing terrorism. That is not to say that this implicates the right wing in general, only to highlight the fact that violent extremist factions do exist in the right and this is in no way exclusive to the left (in fact, it is more common in the right than the left according to the previously posted statistics).

Second, I disagree when you say that these statistics don't have any meaning due to the "small" numbers. An average of 337 attacks per year is not a particularly small number, and clear trends can be seen in the data. It would be generally useless to talk about year on year change, however the overall trend makes a pretty clear case that right wing terrorism is a more significant threat than left wing extremism.


Is that the same FBI that had investigated the Boston, Orlando, NYC/NJ bombers and the 2 wackjobs that shot up the Christmas party in CA yet said they were all nice naturalized americans? The same FBI that chose not to press charges against Hillary and her cohorts despite the massive amount of evidence against her? Surely, you are not talking about that FBI...
5318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/16/16 , edited 10/16/16
^^^ Also a good point, there is a lot of controversy and a percentage for error in which groups the FBI assigns blame too. It would be far from the first time the FBI assigned the blame of specific incidents to groups from a specific ideology to promote their own agenda.
14468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Houma
Offline
Posted 10/16/16 , edited 10/16/16
As an independent I'm just going to point out the obvious that sometimes it's best to shut up and let the actions speak for themselves. No need to shoot yourselves in the foot by calling people animals, comparing them to ISIS, and using "niggers."

I feel pretty strongly against warmongering, ISP shenanigans, I sympathize both with victims of real police use of unnecessary force and police who reacted to a reasonable threat that were harassed in the aftermath, I believe that we are far too dependent on oil not just for climate reasons but also for economic ones (Houma, Louisiana is hit hard by this over-reliance on the oil industry)... it goes on...

I could lean either way, but that's not my point.

Don't say something to hurt your cause... c'mon don't be stupid. You aren't trying to convince those who are already on your side so a circle-jerk is pointless.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.