First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply "To be white is to be racist"
148 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/18/16
So yeah this is from my locals news here.

http://kfor.com/2016/10/14/to-be-white-is-to-be-racist-norman-student-offended-by-teachers-lecture/

I have a really hard time wrapping my head around people who think like this. Normally when I hear this talk it coming from a person saying "We want racism to end!" yet they will turn around around and dismiss and belittle a person of a lighter skin tone. As well I have heard from many of these kinds of people there are others who can "pass as white" that being Asians or possibly light skinned black people.

I myself am native american/scottish and really wen I deal with a person I more look to how they dress and act not how dark the skin color is. What kind of person truly thinks racism ends with white people?
Posted 10/18/16
Progressive common core reeducated cant think for themselves buffoons, for the most part.

I'm an equal opportunity hater, there's white trash just like black trash and all other colors of trash in between. It aint the skin color that determines trash.
1962 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Your Body
Online
Posted 10/18/16 , edited 10/22/16
I need this to be a t-shirt:


18686 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Online
Posted 10/18/16 , edited 10/18/16

RaisedInACult wrote:

Progressive common core reeducated cant think for themselves buffoons, for the most part.

I'm an equal opportunity hater, there's white trash just like black trash and all other colors of trash in between. It aint the skin color that determines trash.


no skin color doesn't determine it

but sadly more black people commit crime than white

so its only common sense that its common of, ifyou don't know that black person walking towards you , you are gonna "clutch your purse/lock your car"



even more so if you are white, female and live near the ghetto

but people will say that is racist



the ones crying racism are the ones who are usually racist
1875 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/18/16
I keep forgetting that I'm not a white cisgendered male and assume all this stuff is targeted at me.
148 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/18/16

HeartDisease wrote:

I need this to be a t-shirt:




If that pisses people off like this I want this T-shirt too.
Banned
6934 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
In a basket of de...
Offline
Posted 10/18/16 , edited 10/18/16
I feel so guilty I want to paint myself brown!
1512 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 10/18/16

HeartDisease wrote:

I need this to be a t-shirt:




Sexy!
10809 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Auburn, Washington
Offline
Posted 10/18/16 , edited 10/24/16

Leoofmoon wrote:

I have a really hard time wrapping my head around people who think like this.


To be human is to be racist. Racism is natural and normal and if you're not racist at all you're probably stupid.

Imagine that you are walking down the street and a guy wearing a raincoat punches you in the face. Then a couple days later, another guy wearing a raincoat punches you in the face. This goes on for a month. During that time, most of the people who punch you in the face are wearing raincoats. There are also people NOT wearing raincoats who punch you in the face, and many people wearing raincoats who do NOT punch you in the face. But more than half of the people who punch you in the face are wearing raincoats.

If you don't start regarding people in raincoats as likely to punch you in the face, you're stupid.

Now replace the raincoat with, say, a turban. Suddenly we have gotten ethnic and people might say you are a racist. But the evidence is exactly the same, so the conclusion should also be the same.

Now replace clothing with skin colour. Again: racist. But YOU STILL HAVE THE SAME DATA. You should still draw the same conclusion.

"Person with quality X performs action Y, suggesting strategy Z."

Raincoat -> punch -> avoid. Turban -> punch -> avoid. Black -> punch -> avoid. It doesn't matter. You cannot exempt data from consideration simply because it would make the conclusion undesirable. Doing this would literally make us no better than creationists and flat-earthers. It makes a mockery of the scientific process.
10262 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/18/16 , edited 10/24/16

cdarklock wrote:


Leoofmoon wrote:

I have a really hard time wrapping my head around people who think like this.


To be human is to be racist. Racism is natural and normal and if you're not racist at all you're probably stupid.

Imagine that you are walking down the street and a guy wearing a raincoat punches you in the face. Then a couple days later, another guy wearing a raincoat punches you in the face. This goes on for a month. During that time, most of the people who punch you in the face are wearing raincoats. There are also people NOT wearing raincoats who punch you in the face, and many people wearing raincoats who do NOT punch you in the face. But more than half of the people who punch you in the face are wearing raincoats.

If you don't start regarding people in raincoats as likely to punch you in the face, you're stupid.

Now replace the raincoat with, say, a turban. Suddenly we have gotten ethnic and people might say you are a racist. But the evidence is exactly the same, so the conclusion should also be the same.

Now replace clothing with skin colour. Again: racist. But YOU STILL HAVE THE SAME DATA. You should still draw the same conclusion.

"Person with quality X performs action Y, suggesting strategy Z."

Raincoat -> punch -> avoid. Turban -> punch -> avoid. Black -> punch -> avoid. It doesn't matter. You cannot exempt data from consideration simply because it would make the conclusion undesirable. Doing this would literally make us no better than creationists and flat-earthers. It makes a mockery of the scientific process.


Yes, in a nutshell.

This is why I hate the concept that I should feel guilty for being white.

You think I should feel guilty for that? With all due respect, fuck you. Why? Because I treat everyone the same. Then, I'm told to feel guilty so damned much I second guess myself.

Perfect example:
I'm in a public building with my family yesterday, and there's a crazy man rambling on and on about a snake. "I had to kill the snake, 'cause he came up on my porch. Why'd he do it, man? Why?"
So, you know, I kind of dodge him. Then I'm thinking "Shit, he was black. Does that make me racist?"
Luckily, about that time, a young black female dodged his conversation in the same fashion. So I was like, "Nope, it's just because he's crazy."

Another example:
There are a lot of primarily black churches and primarily white churches around here. Everyone is welcome everywhere. Hell, I'm always getting invites to black churches, and the white folks I know are always inviting black folks to their churches. I personally like my church because it is one of the few without such self-segregation. My congregation consists of about 30 very diverse people.

But, see, that has nothing to do with current racism. Sure, it goes back to segregation from years ago, but nothing to do with how we feel about each other now. People go to church where their parents go to church, and so on. And people get used to a certain environment at church and expect that even if they move churches. So, you end up with churches that are heavily one race or another, but the truth is that everyone is welcome to any of them.

And the reason my church is so diverse is simply because it's only a few years old. So, everyone is new, and there are no established families in the church.

And to be honest, it's sad that I have to double check everything I do to ensure it isn't racist.
5019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 10/18/16

Leoofmoon wrote:


HeartDisease wrote:

I need this to be a t-shirt:




If that pisses people off like this I want this T-shirt too.


Totally making this a T-Shirt.
3371 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / Kuto-ko Tokyo Japan
Offline
Posted 10/18/16 , edited 10/24/16
I dont care whatever color they have.
What is important is the behavior of one person.
1060 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
64 / M / Oklahoma City, Ok.
Offline
Posted 10/18/16 , edited 10/20/16
That's racist profiling if I ever heard it
10809 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Auburn, Washington
Offline
Posted 10/18/16 , edited 23 days ago

HolyDrumstick wrote:

This is why I hate the concept that I should feel guilty for being white.



Well, there's a subtlety there.

Number one, NO you should not feel guilty for being white. You didn't DECIDE to be white. It's not your fault.

But by the same token, nobody else decided to be whatever they are. It's not their fault, either. They shouldn't feel guilty for being NON-white.

Which means when ANYONE is treated differently for their race, whether it's white people being told to feel guilty or black people being told to act more deferential to cops, we should ALL - regardless of our own race - perceive that this is not fair.

Sometimes nothing can be done about it. Sometimes it requires a lot of people and time to do anything about it. But regardless, if someone else is having a bad time because of something they can't control... maybe have a little sympathy. Even if you don't know what it's like to be black, you know what it's like when shit isn't fair. It sucks. Whether it's racist or not.

But when you're not white, it's relatively rare for a white person to just say "that sucks" without trying to make it about race.



And to be honest, it's sad that I have to double check everything I do to ensure it isn't racist.


I stopped doing that. I just accept that some of the shit I do will look racist. When someone says "that was racist," I'll generally go "yeah... yeah, it kinda was." But I won't get mad about it and say "that was not racist" or even worse "I am not racist." I just go "yep, kinda looks that way, I see your point."

Nobody knows what to do with that. They expect either an apology or an indignant lecture. I'll happily have a long conversation with someone about racism if they'll be reasonable, but I'm not getting into some angry confrontation about it.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.