First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Trying to do something different but realizing it's a mistake
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/18/16 , edited 10/18/16
Let me just say that I was in the process of working on a military science-fiction novel and came to realization that I was not ready for it. I can't write something that I know nothing about and researching it was a task onto itself. So I decided to give up on it and focus on something more simple.

So my real question for all of you is; Have you ever thought about doing something different but realize it was a big mistake as you were doing it?

While researching for my novel, I came to the realization that this was a mistake and I was better off trying something else. I felt like I was getting nowhere and it bothered me. Plus it was hard work. Maybe I am lazy but I just didn't want to go through with it. I'm thinking about working on something simpler for the time being.


Forgive me if the question doesn't make much sense and if this thread seems pointless.

Enjoy!!!


I have no idea what to write for a novella. I need to start planning better.
10592 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 10/18/16
It is a growing experience, isn't it?
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/18/16

gornotck wrote:

It is a growing experience, isn't it?


I guess so.


I mean I wanted to try something different then realize that I just wasn't cut out for it.
10592 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 10/18/16
Maybe not now, but eventually, maybe. Remember, though. Young authors are in their 40s.
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/18/16

gornotck wrote:

Maybe not now, but eventually, maybe. Remember, though. Young authors are in their 40s.


Okay.
Posted 10/18/16
Yes, several times...but I just persevere through it.
I don't think I reaped any rewards from it, it was a waste of time. But in the grander scheme of things...most things you do in this life is a waste of time.

Do what you enjoy doing...otherwise you're going to end up being unhappy.
5120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M / California
Online
Posted 10/18/16
Yes, I don't really know anyone who hasn't. I think it is a good thing to go through, though.
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/18/16

SirBacon12 wrote:

Yes, I don't really know anyone who hasn't. I think it is a good thing to go through, though.


It was good while it lasted until I realize I was making a mistake.
5120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M / California
Online
Posted 10/18/16

qualeshia3 wrote:


SirBacon12 wrote:

Yes, I don't really know anyone who hasn't. I think it is a good thing to go through, though.


It was good while it lasted until I realize I was making a mistake.


Still, I think it is good to at least try to branch out, and if you realize that it's a mistake, then you've learned something else about yourself
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/18/16

SirBacon12 wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


SirBacon12 wrote:

Yes, I don't really know anyone who hasn't. I think it is a good thing to go through, though.


It was good while it lasted until I realize I was making a mistake.


Still, I think it is good to at least try to branch out, and if you realize that it's a mistake, then you've learned something else about yourself


True.
10592 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 10/18/16
I guess the real question is what you're going to do about it, if it's something you really wanted to do.
48 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 10/18/16
Hey at least you have ambitions for something.
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/18/16

gornotck wrote:

I guess the real question is what you're going to do about it, if it's something you really wanted to do.


I don't know. For now I am putting it to the side to focus on something else.
37144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/18/16 , edited 10/18/16
I often set ridiculous goals for myself and only realize how absurd it was after I'm in too deep. I don't like leaving things undone, and I don't like doing things half-assed. Combine that with epic stubbornness and a perhaps unwarranted amount of self-confidence... Well I've attempted some crazy shit.
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 10/18/16

BearxKing wrote:

Hey at least you have ambitions for something.


I'm sure you do too.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.